HIIT after weights?

Cary K

Cary K

Awards
Thoughts on doing HIIT after lifting? Should/can this be done or is HIIT something that should be done on its own?
All input is appreciated

Cary K

Cary K

Awards
Bump to see if anyone has any input

dcne02

Awards
  • Established
Sure go for it man, I do HIIT after weights 3 days a week. It's all about what is convenient for you.

TFlifting

Awards
I do crossfit (I guess comparable to HIIT) generally after workout or if at all possible I separate them by a few hours so I can regain some energy before I go at it again

Callejul

Awards
Depending on what you train that day. For example: if today is maximum effort day for deadlifting, I guarantee I wont be doing any form of HIIT for 2-3 days. In my opinion, for HIIT to be truly HIIT you must be sprinting at your full capacity. Sprinting after a leg day or even a hardcore chest day is bad IMO

dillianc

Awards
today after my workout I timed myself and the workout I did was

Run a mile
50 flights on the neverending stairmaster
Run a mile.

It was more intense then any sprinting HIIT session I have done. hopefully I will start improving my time on this. it took 25 minutes

WarriorMp

WarriorMp

Awards
For me personally I try to do HIIT on non weight days do I can focus on and get the most out of it and not overtrain on my weight days (that and my time is limited at the gym, lol) My HIIT days kinda look like this:

30-60's (sprint 30 sec normally at 11-12 mph, jog 60 sec normally around 7 mph) for 10 to 15 sets

60-120's (same concept as above) for 5 to 10 sets

I normally finish with some box jumps, chin-ups, planks, and triceps extension leg lifts on the dip bar.

Callejul

Awards

Run a mile
Run a mile.

It was more intense then any sprinting HIIT session I have done. hopefully I will start improving my time on this. it took 25 minutes
Ppppao0That doesn't sound like HIIT..... have you ever sprinted a set distance 50-100-150 meters? And then fully recover for a next set of sprints.

Callejul

Awards

Run a mile
Run a mile.

That doesn't sound like HIIT..... have you ever sprinted a set distance 50-100-150 meters? And then fully recover for a next set of sprints.

KurlMuscle

KurlMuscle

Awards
I do HIIT after upper body lifting.....legs gets its own day.

dillianc

Awards
Ppppao0That doesn't sound like HIIT..... have you ever sprinted a set distance 50-100-150 meters? And then fully recover for a next set of sprints.
Sure have. I was doing HIIT sprinting 3-5 times
A week, still do sometimes. If i do the actual interval training now I usually do it on the never ending stair master.

The workout I posted is just high intensity. You do recover in between the runs/machine switching and you do give it your all.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
on non-weight days i do HIIT's on the elip. machine (bad knees) for a 3min. slow/med. pace and 1min. of balls out for 7 cycles = 28mins.

on weight days i do 1min slow/med and the 1min. balls out for 15min. just to get some extra fat burning in (i need to drop more fat at this point)

in the Mrach/April issue of Mark Bells Power mag he talked about HIITS training for the power lifter, great artical

Cary K

Cary K

Awards
on non-weight days i do HIIT's on the elip. machine (bad knees) for a 3min. slow/med. pace and 1min. of balls out for 7 cycles = 28mins.

on weight days i do 1min slow/med and the 1min. balls out for 15min. just to get some extra fat burning in (i need to drop more fat at this point)

in the Mrach/April issue of Mark Bells Power mag he talked about HIITS training for the power lifter, great artical
Cool man thanks for the input. How are things in Winston? I'm just up in Rockingham Co. in Eden

jewgold

jewgold

Awards
  • Established
do a short but sweet of 10-15 of HIIT after weights then have 1 day of 30 minutes of straight cardio....works for me

I feel like I only have so much energy left after weights that some HIIT for that duration is all I can muster

EWolfe08

EWolfe08

Awards
Pre Contest I do 20-30 minutes of HIIT after every workout.

with a perfect schedule I would probably prefer to do fasted HIIT in the morning, then resistance training in the afternoon/evening. But this doesn't fit my current schedule