Squat Hip/Joint Pain

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hoping someone reading this can provide some insight. :)

I'm experiencing a bit of pain around the ball/socket area of my left hip. This happens whether I do BW squats or with weight. I don't think it's a muscle/tendon issue just because when I'm deep in the squat it feels like something is rubbing and protruding forward from my hip. I've hit this depth without much problems before and it's only the movement that brings about the problem. But I notice this pain generally happens after a day of cardio. My cardio consists of LISS like a 40-50 min walk on pavement which might have something to do with it. I always start with warm ups, ~15 minutes with dynamic stretches like leg swings, lunges, squat stretches and BW squats. In between sets I also do BW squats.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Prolly trochanteric bursitis

Rest and anti inflammatories for a week or so, if it's still bothering you - off to the sports medicine doc.

First line of therapy is usually a cortisone injection.

Stretch the crap out of your hip flexors before squatting. I had the same issue for a while, managed to stretch myself out if it though

Good luck

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Prolly trochanteric bursitis

Rest and anti inflammatories for a week or so, if it's still bothering you - off to the sports medicine doc.

First line of therapy is usually a cortisone injection.

Stretch the crap out of your hip flexors before squatting. I had the same issue for a while, managed to stretch myself out if it though

Good luck
Thanks! I had my squat workout yesterday and my left hip was bearable, not painful, but it felt rather uncomfortable and definitely affected the amount of weight I was able to push.

Can you suggest some hip flexor stretches that helped you?

napalm

napalm

Awards
Thanks! I had my squat workout yesterday and my left hip was bearable, not painful, but it felt rather uncomfortable and definitely affected the amount of weight I was able to push.

Can you suggest some hip flexor stretches that helped you?
There's many different stretches that are effective, just google hip flexor stretches.

I just get into the bottom position of the squat and alternate putting a leg all the way behind me. I also put one leg on the safety bar of a power rack and go from side to side.

Good luck,

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
These might help:

Mr.Testo

Awards
Hoping someone reading this can provide some insight. :)

I'm experiencing a bit of pain around the ball/socket area of my left hip. This happens whether I do BW squats or with weight. I don't think it's a muscle/tendon issue just because when I'm deep in the squat it feels like something is rubbing and protruding forward from my hip. I've hit this depth without much problems before and it's only the movement that brings about the problem. But I notice this pain generally happens after a day of cardio. My cardio consists of LISS like a 40-50 min walk on pavement which might have something to do with it. I always start with warm ups, ~15 minutes with dynamic stretches like leg swings, lunges, squat stretches and BW squats. In between sets I also do BW squats.

if your pain is around the hip joint itself its unlikely the actual problem is muscular, i have an idea of what it is but before i say can i ask you to stand up on both feet, raise your left knee up in front with your left leg bent 90degrees so your thigh is paralell to the ground externally rotate your knee to the left and do circular motions with it raised off the ground, is there any pain or clicking?
obviously anyone on here without a relevant medical degree ultimately is only going to be able to give you an educated answer based on our own experience and i wouldnt expect much more, research on google then see a doctor when your almost certain what it is

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Okay I tried what you suggested, there is no pain or clicking. But I still feel like something is rubbing/protruding forward and down from the hip area and it's very uncomfortable to stay in the squat position once I hit parallel. In order to work around the issue I've been doing lunges and sumo squats with lighter weights. The wide stance of the sumo squats does not irritate my hips during the motion.

if your pain is around the hip joint itself its unlikely the actual problem is muscular, i have an idea of what it is but before i say can i ask you to stand up on both feet, raise your left knee up in front with your left leg bent 90degrees so your thigh is parallel to the ground externally rotate your knee to the left and do circular motions with it raised off the ground, is there any pain or clicking?
obviously anyone on here without a relevant medical degree ultimately is only going to be able to give you an educated answer based on our own experience and i wouldnt expect much more, research on google then see a doctor when your almost certain what it is

wrathchild281

Awards
leg ext. and extensive ham work. static stretches before and after

TruthWalker

TruthWalker

Awards
  • Established
Also, look in to adding Super Cissus to your supplement plan. This is what fixed my shoulder problem for me. All natural, fairly inexpensive. Absolutely fantastic joint product.