Questions about HIIT and Hypertrophy - AnabolicMinds.com

Questions about HIIT and Hypertrophy

1. New Member

Questions about HIIT and Hypertrophy

Once to twice a week I do a HIIT full body work out. Also once per week I do a traditional style power/strength workout with long rests, 6-8 reps (sometimes down to 3-4 depending on exercise).

My question is regarding the HIIT that I do. This is comprised of 15 seconds of exercise with 30 seconds of rest. I do meat and potato exercises (deadlift, lever squat, flat bench, pull downs [multiple grips], should press, etc). I do 40 sets, this lasts for 30 minutes.

I am straight up exhausted by the end. The weights I use are like 50% of 1RM and while the first set of any exercise, I could do 20-30 reps of them, by the 4th set I am struggling to get 8-10 from exhaustion.

I have been doing this for a few weeks. The first few times I did this, I struggled mightily (I was also having bad allergy problems). Now I can make it though the workout without thinking I am going to die. My weights haven't gone up.

Am I getting any hypertrophy from this? Since I am not even close to repping out, am I even getting a glycogen burn? What I am asking, is how does this workout help me? I know its great for weight loss and I feel like I really did something, cause I am completely exhausted from this, I am just not sure what I am doing.

I should say my goals are weight loss with strength maintenance/gain. I also tried it with 15 seconds on/45 seconds off thinking I would do more weight and therefore gain some hypertrophy but in reality I didn't really do much more.

I also read this article and I am thinking that the upped metabolic rate kills any chance at hpyertrophy.
    The Time under Tension article on this site (can't post links yet).

I appreciate any thoughts.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

it would increase your work capacity and recovery abilities. so the hard hitting weight lifting sessions you could do more and recovery faster.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  3. New Member

Thanks. Any thoughts on 15/30 vs 15/45?
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

yep. which one will fit your needs depends on your needs. your goals above were stated above were to shed fat and gain/maintain strength. i would go for 10-20 seconds rest and vary your rest. 1-2 times a week make it 10-15 seconds. 2-3 times a week make it 1-2 minutes. its only one way of many to reach your goals.
  5. New Member

Thanks,

I also do 12-20 minute Tabata intervals some days, but I wouldn't call that weight training. I also follow these workouts (most of the times) with 20-30 minute moderated cardio.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Firstly, don't expect to gain huge muscle growth from 20-30reps, that is more muscular endurance (time to fatigue etc.). EVen if by the end you can perform only 8 reps, that is because you are exhausted. By the end of it if you can still stand up or breath properly, then you havent pushed hard enough. Add weight if its becoming to easy.

Muscular endurance is different to strength
  7. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Firstly, don't expect to gain huge muscle growth from 20-30reps, that is more muscular endurance (time to fatigue etc.). EVen if by the end you can perform only 8 reps, that is because you are exhausted. By the end of it if you can still stand up or breath properly, then you havent pushed hard enough. Add weight if its becoming to easy.

Muscular endurance is different to strength
    I don't expect much muscle growth from 20-30 reps. In fact I am not even doing that many reps. I was just asking if I was getting ANY hypertrophy from this. My guess was no, and it seems like asooneyeonig is agreeing with that.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

it helps indireectly. it increases work capacity which allows for greater load and recovery capacity which more directly effect hypertrophy.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Questions About HIIT and Other Things
    By TonyBSRT in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 01:31 PM
  2. questions about transdermals and liver
    By sushibug in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-29-2003, 09:36 AM
  3. question about recovery and hormones