Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Loads of threads on here.

- Very good for hypertrophy
- Not good for maximal strength in all instances
- I personally find it very boring but would use it again if I had to lol
- If you do it you must follow the recipe exactly. Do not change the frequency, split, rep or set parameters.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
All I can say is, be prepared.
As Ben commented above that you don't change the schedule.

YOU MUST FEED AND WATER YOURSELF.PROPERLY WITH THIS PROGRAM.
it is demanding so head all advice.
You will increase myofribullar muscle (size/hypertrophy).

Strength and sarcoplasmic muscle is the 3-5 reps. 6-8reps is bit of both worlds

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
All I can say is, be prepared.
As Ben commented above that you don't change the schedule.

YOU MUST FEED AND WATER YOURSELF.PROPERLY WITH THIS PROGRAM.
it is demanding so head all advice.
You will increase myofribullar muscle (size/hypertrophy).

Strength and sarcoplasmic muscle is the 3-5 reps. 6-8reps is bit of both worlds
Myofibril adaptation comes as a result of lower rep schemes and higher loads, training for strength. Sarcoplasmic adaptation is achieved through higher reps and tension time. Here, your working on endurance demand which will increase sarcoplasmic glycogen content and consequently water retention intramuscularly, leading to the overall expansion of the sarcoplasm. If size and physique changes is what your looking for you want to incorporate both sides of the equation for the best results.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
I prefer 10 sets of 3 reps, or something similar to the advanced GVT where u use lower reps.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Krampus

Krampus

Awards
I enjoy 10x10 every once in a while. The last 3 sets usually suck. I have gotten decent results from it, I would not recommend it to everyone but it can be useful.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
I enjoy 10x10 every once in a while. The last 3 sets usually suck. I have gotten decent results from it, I would not recommend it to everyone but it can be useful.
the 10 rep version is good when u want to get sore without using much weight. it was fun for a while with upper body but the first time i tried it with squats i felt like i was going to die the next day and was shaking like a crackhead and about to puke my brains our during the workout...

Krampus

Krampus

Awards
Yeah my squat goes down tremendously when using 10x10, only squating 185 for ass to grass. The lactic acid build up is pretty crazy for larger muscle groups.

the 10 rep version is good when u want to get sore without using much weight. it was fun for a while with upper body but the first time i tried it with squats i felt like i was going to die the next day and was shaking like a crackhead and about to puke my brains our during the workout...

Machmood

Awards
What is the usual split I've seen many posted , here's the 2 I am debating

Day 1 chest/back
Incline bench 10x10
Cable crossovers 3x10
Lat pull down 10x10
Row 10x10

Day 2 legs
Squat 10x10
Ham curls 10x10
Calfs what reps?

Day 3 shoulders/arms
Military 10x10
Side raises 3x10
Curls 10x10
Skulls 10x10

Verion 2

Push
Incline 10x10
Crossovers 3x0
Military 10x10
Side raises 3x10
Skulls 5x10

Pull
Lat pull down 10x0
Row 10x10
Curla5x10

Legs
Squat 10x10
Hqm curls 10x10
Calfs 10x10

Both workouts routines done MWF hitting each muscle once a week

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
I wouldnt do 10 sets of rows and pulldowns. Id do 10 sets of one and 3 sets of the other. Wayyyy too much volume. Or even just 10 sets of rows and 3 sets of pullovers is what id do personally. Also doing 10 sets of bench and 10 sets of press the same workout would be overworking the shiz out of your front delts. Id follow the original GVT

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
^^ what is the original workout?
Basically 10x10 for one compound excercise for each muscle and then 3x10 for assistance and for smaller muscles, just 10x10

day 1
Bench 10x10
Row 10x10
flies 3x10
pulldown or pullover or whatever 3x10

day 2
10x10 lateral raises or shoulder press
10x10 pushdown
10x10 curl

day 3
10x10 leg press/squat whatever
3x10 leg curl

but you would alternate the bench and rows as well with arms to save time. like bench, rest one min, row, rest 1 min, bench, etc...

when i did my version i dropped the volume like this:

day 1
10x10 pulldown
3x10 curl
3x10 shrug

day 2
10x10 bench
3x10 shoulder press
3x10 pushdown

day 3
10x10 squat, no assistance it was too much already

not something i would stick to long term, but it really kicks ur butt for the first while. id do one day on/1 off style. 10x3 is superior in almost every way. you will get stronger and i noticed better size even from lower reps

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What is the usual split I've seen many posted , here's the 2 I am debating

Day 1 chest/back
Incline bench 10x10
Cable crossovers 3x10
Lat pull down 10x10
Row 10x10

Day 2 legs
Squat 10x10
Ham curls 10x10
Calfs what reps?

Day 3 shoulders/arms
Military 10x10
Side raises 3x10
Curls 10x10
Skulls 10x10

Verion 2

Push
Incline 10x10
Crossovers 3x0
Military 10x10
Side raises 3x10
Skulls 5x10

Pull
Lat pull down 10x0
Row 10x10
Curla5x10

Legs
Squat 10x10
Hqm curls 10x10
Calfs 10x10

Both workouts routines done MWF hitting each muscle once a week
Have you posted the exercises in order?

What tnubs posted is correct. You alternate two antagonistic exercises for 10 sets of 10 and upon completion alternate two antagonistic accessory exercises.

e.g.

A1) Bench Press 10 x 10
A2) Pull Ups 10 x 10
B1) Cable Flyes 3 x 10-12
B2) Seated Rope Row to Neck 3 x 10-12

Here is how it is supposed to be done. http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/441/German_Volume_Training.aspx

Machmood

Awards
Wow that's crazy do really in essence it's 20x10 with a 60 second rest, that's gotta hurt

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Wow that's crazy do really in essence it's 20x10 with a 60 second rest, that's gotta hurt
Its antagonist lifts so technically they shouldnt effect eachother too much. And by doing 60 seconds between each lift you get over 2 minutes of rest before going back to the same excercise. Its a lot of volume, it really feels almost like conditioning work to me. It wont help you get stronger, it will only make you beter at doing the 10x10 workout... lol

Roduk

Awards
My first post! I love GVT, I recently completed the recommended 6 cycles as laid out be Charles P. I followed it pretty much to the book, I only missed two days, where I actually got ill and started fainting. Had ECG tests etc. I think my CNS had been severely overloaded. I was strict with the timings and supersetted compounds where and when possible in the gym. Other times when not possible I'd reduce recovery time and do the exercise straight through.

You get a great sense of satisfaction from competing the workouts, one word colossal. I started lifting again around four months ago. at the start I measured my body fat with calipers, half way through I decided to give 6 cycles of GVT a try. I finished around two weeks ago and I calculated my lean muscle mass to have gone up by 7 lbs.

I'm still losing fat and gaining muscle. I saw visually my body change whilst doing GVT. My girlfriend said I looked like I've jacked myself up with a tyre pump. My actual body weight has stayed pretty much the same which I'm happy about as I have definitely shed lbs of fat in that time.

you have to eat and sleep a lot and it's sometimes very hard to get motivated for a session as you know how guelling it's going to be. I've logged all my lifts, bench, squats etc. an example of my results would be bench press. Strict form, 1 sec up/ 4 sec down. I started at 65 kg 10 x10 , and doing the four day cycle so exercising body parts twice weekly, after six cycles I was up to 85 kg 10x10.

After I finished the 6 cycles of 10 x 10 I decided to do 10 x6 routine starting where I left off from GVT with slightly heavier weight. I'm still increasing the loads or my reps each cycle and will stick with this until I stop seeing gains.

Here is my GVT routine 10x10.

Back/ chest

A. Bb bench press
A. chin up
B. incline db flye
B. one arm row

Legs / abs

A. Back squat
A. Leg curl (hams)
B. weighted clam
B. bb standing calf raises

Ams/ shoulders

A. Dip
A. Drag curl
B. bb standing shoulder press
B. straight arm db side lateral raise

For my current 10x 6

Back / chest

A. Bb bench press
A. Pull up
B. inline db flye
B. t bar bent over row

Legs same as 10x10 although I've added glute machine as well. I have an issue with firing them, ie lazy glutes.

Arms shoulders.

A. Dip
A. Bb standing shoulder press
B. straight arm db side lateral raise
B. Angled prone curl.

I decided to do abs on the days I'm supposed to rest and do a core strengthening routine.

WarriorMp

WarriorMp

Awards
I finished my most recent GVT program about a month or so ago, a 4 week plan. It was pretty awesome. If your diet is on point, you gain some good mass (your diet will determine if it's lean or not). Your strength increases will be very noticeable. For example, my max bench was around 275, and it jumped to 315 afterwards (all I was using was a cheap OTC test booster at the time to just help with having more energy throughout the day). A word of caution though, you don't want to do GVT programs back to back, or else you will burn yourself out. Do a cycle, then switch your program up for a few months, then you can do another GVT cycle.

dubfungus

Awards
Fantastic thanks guys !! What do you think about this on a cyc?

WarriorMp

WarriorMp

Awards
Havnt tried GVT on a cycle yet, but that is one thing im planning on doing in the future. I'd wager that is would be most beneficial on a bulking cycle.

dillianc

Awards
okay im going to give this a shot today

is it A Exercise rest 90 seconds Second Exercise rest 90 seconds repeat 10X?

jacobxcaliber

Awards
I just started yesterday it was an eye opener to say the least. I have never had a pump that intense and I am only using arginine and Maca currently. I am starting a new stack this week excited to see what results I get.

dillianc

Awards
Okay so please let me know if i am on the right path.

Bench press 10 reps
Superset w
Pec flys 10 reps
Rest 90 seconds repeat 5 times.

Lateral pull down 10 reps
Superset
Bent over row 10 reps
Rest 90 seconds repeat 5 times

Explosive pushups 10 reps
Trx pull ups 10 reps
Rest 60 seconds repeat 4 times.

dillianc

Awards
Yah I have looked at that. It's a great article. I will try and follow it. I'm nervous though, as I don't want to get bored too easily

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Yah I have looked at that. It's a great article. I will try and follow it. I'm nervous though, as I don't want to get bored too easily
Bored? Why would you get bored if your seeing desired results?

dillianc

Awards
this is true. and from what everyone has been saying the results of this are wicked.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
this is true. and from what everyone has been saying the results of this are wicked.
I've never strictly followed the template myself but I am an advocate of high volume, when it comes to eliciting gains in size and physique.

Edit: Good luck with it, if you decide to follow the program I do not believe you will be disappointed.

dillianc

Awards
Thanks, even after todays workout I am sore and shakey. it was pretty fantastic ha ha

vassille

Awards
Im also a fan of high volume if it's done right. Overtraining is quite possible so be careful of it and it does tend to overload you CNS.
I did try 10x10 long time ago with mix results. I think I was over doing it.
But Im doing a different high volume routine training 5-6 days a week which suits me much better.
high volume if you can handle it will def yield great results!

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Im also a fan of high volume if it's done right. Overtraining is quite possible so be careful of it and it does tend to overload you CNS.
I did try 10x10 long time ago with mix results. I think I was over doing it.
But Im doing a different high volume routine training 5-6 days a week which suits me much better.
high volume if you can handle it will def yield great results!
http://www.biolayne.com/uncategorized/biolayne-video-log-3-overtraining/

http://www.trainingdimensions.net/BPWC_Resource/WC_Resource_Documents/Fitness_elements/super_accumulation.pdf

Food for thought on the whole overtraining thought process.

amarula

Awards
Another vote here. I've used years ago for the first time with 10 reps and had very good results (size and strength). However I think that the 10-12 pounds of lean muscle many times announced on the articles can only come from gifted lifters..

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone tried the planned 2 week over training from that article? Sounds super intense and I'm tempted to try it soon

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

dillianc

Awards
I would have to be on holidays to do that, then I know it would be done correctly

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Has anyone tried the planned 2 week over training from that article? Sounds super intense and I'm tempted to try it soon

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
I had a soccer player try it in his off season just before he was due to take a week off for vacation.

By the end of it he said he felt terrible. He had sore joints and was moody constantly. He actually became hard to train because he was so angry all the time lol.

His strength was still going up for most of the programme (which surprised me). It started dipping towards the end. In his week off he went up to around 6lbs over his starting weight.