FASTED MORNING LIFTING - AnabolicMinds.com

FASTED MORNING LIFTING

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

FASTED MORNING LIFTING

I've been doing morning cardio last few weeks fasted.ON a break from overtraining and just started uppin intensity of my morning training.Past week been doing tire flips and hill sprints (mon,wed,fri)im not eating any carbs after 5pm and training at 6:15am so im only up for 30-45min before a start.

My ? is how many lift/train like this?Im not really after fat loss(im at 7% 169lb)just want to get workout/training in/over as fast as possiable(not waiting for food to digest)then go on with the day.

My training will be of a higher intensity(complexes,sprints,ec t)in another few weeks,as im still recovering and thinking about a full-body routine this coming week to get back into the liftingpart of working out again.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

Also im taking a scoop of x-tend(10g bcaa's)before hand and drinking water/powerade zero sometimes durning routine.
    Eating about 30min after im finished.
  3. Elite Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Plenty of people lift fasted regardless of it being first thing in the morning or not. If you don't feel like it is causing you any problems and you get plenty of food in during the rest of the day you should be fine. I was gonna offer the possible suggestion of BCAAs before but you seem to have that covered.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

I agree ^.. Every1 has different lifestyles and some ppl need to hit the gym very early in the morning b4 work. I think just like it was stated above that if you are getting proper nutrition throughout the day and eating your 5+ meals you will be perfectly fine. You deff made a good choice having some BCAA's b4 training
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

I just think im not eating enough at this time.Getting fatigued though out day(low energy)and losing weight every week(surposed to be maintaining weight)as overtraining your surposed to eat maintence or alittle higher(lost 1 1/2lb last week and over2lbs the week before)the 2 lbs came without even exerciseing.it was my first full week off in 4-5years.I'll see where im at this sunday morning on the fat/weight to make more adjustments.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

My one ? is with lean gains ect.. there eating alot of cho in the eve which then will have alot to use for the morning training/morning til noon.
    Im eating most of my carbs during the day to be able to work and dropping as day goes on.

So will this inpact my performance in the morning with only bcaa's as im doing a full body routine(deads/squats/presses ect.)with mybe some post shuttle runs.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

Would caffine(coffee or pre supp) be to much on my cns(still in recovery)before lifting mixed with 10g bcaa's?
    I know i took a break for 2 weeks on all caffine and had my first cup of joe last mon morning and finally woke up faster and had more energy doing cardio.Only one cup and not that strong as i was downing a pot before hand or 2 scoops of c4 or 1/2 no shotgun(nasty!)i actually dumped the no out because of taste and crash i got(wasnt worth the fatigue)
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

if you are losing weight, and by extension energy dragging thruout the day, then you are simply not eating enough calories.
    fasted training upon rising is an interesting protocol, and i definitely advise bcaa intake pre & intra. i would also eat before the 30minutes you are currently waiting to have postWO nutrition..

but - the basis of your question and energy/weight issue is, as mentioned, not enough food.
    plain & simple.

as for lean gains - many ppl seem to like this approach, altho i personally am no fan.
    it does not suit my lifestyle nor my ideology at all..
    but try not to skew what you are doing, by combining aspects of another approach into it..most times, this is a recipe for failure and confusion.

as for caffeine - coffee should be no issue. many ppl (myself included) never "cycle off" coffeee. i have a cup every morning..should be no cns issues.
    caffeine supps, on the otherhand, should be cycled imo.
    everyone is different in their tolerance of stimulants.

a question for you as well - are you sure you are getting 10g bcaa in with that 1 scoop Xtend?
    FINAFLEX Product Educator
    visit our website at finaflex.com
    contact me at snagency@finaflex.com
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    if you are losing weight, and by extension energy dragging thruout the day, then you are simply not eating enough calories.
    fasted training upon rising is an interesting protocol, and i definitely advise bcaa intake pre & intra. i would also eat before the 30minutes you are currently waiting to have postWO nutrition..

but - the basis of your question and energy/weight issue is, as mentioned, not enough food.
    plain & simple.

as for lean gains - many ppl seem to like this approach, altho i personally am no fan.
    it does not suit my lifestyle nor my ideology at all..
    but try not to skew what you are doing, by combining aspects of another approach into it..most times, this is a recipe for failure and confusion.

as for caffeine - coffee should be no issue. many ppl (myself included) never "cycle off" coffeee. i have a cup every morning..should be no cns issues.
    caffeine supps, on the otherhand, should be cycled imo.
    everyone is different in their tolerance of stimulants.

a question for you as well - are you sure you are getting 10g bcaa in with that 1 scoop Xtend?
    The only reason i even thought about lean gains is to lighten the stress of eating so many times a day.My plan for fasted training is only to hit the weights sooner without food in my gut taking away blood from muscles.I actually gained some weight while losing some fat this past week with doing a tire flipping workout and hill sprints 3x.Didnt gain alot(probaly water)but fat did drop pretty good in one week with being very fatigued/slow thoughout the entire day/everyday like my body is shutting down/slowing to save cals.
  10. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by 67nova View Post
    The only reason i even thought about lean gains is to lighten the stress of eating so many times a day.
    so, don't eat so many times thru the day.
    combine your meals, ergo less stress.

I actually gained some weight while losing some fat this past week with doing a tire flipping workout and hill sprints 3x.Didnt gain alot(probaly water)but fat did drop pretty good in one week with being very fatigued/slow thoughout the entire day/everyday like my body is shutting down/slowing to save cals.
    you confuse me.
    2 days ago, you said you weren't eating enough..now, you've gained weight?

and - how does one gain waterweight, while concurrently dropping fat?
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

so, don't eat so many times thru the day.
    combine your meals, ergo less stress.

you confuse me.
    2 days ago, you said you weren't eating enough..now, you've gained weight?

and - how does one gain waterweight, while concurrently dropping fat?
    I just started putting a meal to others,and for the weight gain it was only a 1/2-1lb change but my b/f lowered.I think with the break from lifting for 3weeks and this past week of tire flips,sprints sparked new growth?Only thing i can think of that happened.Guess i might of actually recovered some and gave my body time to be able to build again
  12. Advanced Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation

So do you still feel like the fasted training isn't impacting your lifting? I am considering doing my workout fasted first thing in the morning but had been concerned I would loose strength in making the switch.
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by SLW2 View Post
    So do you still feel like the fasted training isn't impacting your lifting? I am considering doing my workout fasted first thing in the morning but had been concerned I would loose strength in making the switch.
    It'll take a few sessions to adjust to the schedule, but I haven't noticed a difference in strength between morning, fasted training or afternoon/evening, fed training.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    It'll take a few sessions to adjust to the schedule, but I haven't noticed a difference in strength between morning, fasted training or afternoon/evening, fed training.
    Glad to hear it! It will be much more convenient training right away after waking instead of trying to fit it in later in the day. Maybe I will wait for a deload week to make the switch. Hopefully that will make a smoother transition.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Glad to hear it! It will be much more convenient training right away after waking instead of trying to fit it in later in the day. Maybe I will wait for a deload week to make the switch. Hopefully that will make a smoother transition.
    That's actually what I did when I first started IF: deloaded the first week to let myself acclimate to the time shift.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.

i used to love fasted morning training, i felt good and didn't notice any negative affects....however one day i felt very shakey and like i was going to pass out until i got some carbs in me, that day i swore i'd never weight train totally fasted ever again....just something to keep notice of
  17. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    i used to love fasted morning training, i felt good and didn't notice any negative affects....however one day i felt very shakey and like i was going to pass out until i got some carbs in me, that day i swore i'd never weight train totally fasted ever again....just something to keep notice of
    you used to love it, no issues, and then..
    one day changed your mind?
    wow man. ever hear of fluke instances?
    i know of many ppl who could say the same thing about "regular" fed training, for some reason one day they had bad feelings, maybe puked or something..
    they dint decide to give up their regular routine over it.

?

and for some ppl, they won't even experience any "transitional acclimation" issues at all.
    i slip in FT upon rising every now & then, and i never miss a beat.
    likewise - i can do FT regularly, and still experience no issues.
    while there is certainly physiological impact in the FT method, it does not mean it will necessarily impact physical performance.
    in many cases, it is simply a psychological barrier.
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.

you used to love it, no issues, and then..
    one day changed your mind?
    wow man. ever hear of fluke instances?
    i know of many ppl who could say the same thing about "regular" fed training, for some reason one day they had bad feelings, maybe puked or something..
    they dint decide to give up their regular routine over it.

?
    Yep, all it takes is one time to change my mind....i'd never want to experience that feeling again or god forbid pass out while at the gym...so now i have some food in me, but thats when i changed my shift at work anyway, so now i train at night and the issue is mute
  19. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    Yep, all it takes is one time to change my mind....i'd never want to experience that feeling again or god forbid pass out while at the gym...so now i have some food in me, but thats when i changed my shift at work anyway, so now i train at night and the issue is mute
    i think you mean, moot.
    in any event, glad you have found a comfort zone for yourself.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

it seems my body is adjusting well,meaning my strength seems good,Now i've been recovering from overtraining for the last month as this week is the first time hitting the weights.Im doing a full body routine and actually seeing some good results already(1 week)arms are growing,my strengh is actually good for taking time off(no loss)just getting some major,major doms!To the point of not wanting to walk(first workout had squats)
  21. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

and for some ppl, they won't even experience any "transitional acclimation" issues at all.
    i slip in FT upon rising every now & then, and i never miss a beat.
    likewise - i can do FT regularly, and still experience no issues.
    while there is certainly physiological impact in the FT method, it does not mean it will necessarily impact physical performance.
    in many cases, it is simply a psychological barrier.
    I won't ever lift in the A.M. if I have the option, lol. I made several attempts in college to do so (tried fasted and non-fasted) and it always sucked, and my performance was in the gutter
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  22. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    I won't ever lift in the A.M. if I have the option, lol. I made several attempts in college to do so (tried fasted and non-fasted) and it always sucked, and my performance was in the gutter
    as i said my post you quote: some ppl.
    i speak in generalities, and refer to the majority of ppl in that scenario.
    there always will lie exceptions outside the mainstream norm..
    nothing in life guaranteed except death, my friend.
  23. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

as i said my post you quote: some ppl.
    i speak in generalities, and refer to the majority of ppl in that scenario.
    there always will lie exceptions outside the mainstream norm..
    nothing in life guaranteed except death, my friend.
    I know this. I was sharing my own experience like everyone else in the thread. Read the OP.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  24. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I know this. I was sharing my own experience like everyone else in the thread. Read the OP.
    I tried it when I was younger as well and it sucked for me, but a lot of that for me was how I approached the session. That was when I followed the traditional dogma of meals every 2-3 hours, high GI carbs, training each muscle only 1x/week, etc.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  25. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.

wow man..never said you didn't know it.
    you quoted my post not the OP; i simply responded.
    sry if you take offense.
  26. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

I tried it when I was younger as well and it sucked for me, but a lot of that for me was how I approached the session. That was when I followed the traditional dogma of meals every 2-3 hours, high GI carbs, training each muscle only 1x/week, etc.
    You know, I was doing more or less the same thing, too, then (grazing). Maybe now it would make a difference? But it wasn't the fasting that was the problem as much as morning lifting, since sometimes I ate breakfast before lifting and still had the same result. At the time I just chalked it up to having more food in me, which obviously isn't the case (have squatted several times fasted np since).

wow man..never said you didn't know it.
    you quoted my post not the OP; i simply responded.
    sry if you take offense.
    Sorry, I came off a little snappy there. I think we're on the same page now .
  27. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.

Sorry, I came off a little snappy there. I think we're on the same page now .
    n/p
    the interwebz can have that strange effect on us sometimes..
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

I havnt did a full body routine in years even when i did i didnt have a gym or alot of weight to do it i just did higher reps when needed.This was the first heavy full body i ever did.It shocked my body like nothing before,mostly the time off is what helped(lowered cortisol/raised t-level)for new growth.Now if i have some self control doing it and increase weight everyweek not every w/o it should keep coming.

Im very pleased with the fasted part of it saving so much time,dont feel like puking.Seems when i do eat breakfast/post meal it flodds my muscles better then when i ate first,now to correct the way i feel for the rest of the day.
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I am currently training in the am before work. If I start to add IF to my routine and my fasting break doesn't end until ~ 5 hrs later, how would that affect my post WO protein? I have read some articles that you should consume protein <45 mins after workout. I have also read other articles that it really doesn't matter the time limit after workout. Can someone shed some light on this for me please?
    After a year off, I'm back
  30. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary K View Post
    I am currently training in the am before work. If I start to add IF to my routine and my fasting break doesn't end until ~ 5 hrs later, how would that affect my post WO protein? I have read some articles that you should consume protein <45 mins after workout. I have also read other articles that it really doesn't matter the time limit after workout. Can someone shed some light on this for me please?
    IF or no - i would not advise going hrs following training before consuming nutrition..not a good plan at all.
  31. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.

BCAA's plus a decent preworkout with some stim make fasted training doable for me. I do my preworkout formula about 45 minutes before training. BCAA's I mix 15 grams in a quart bottle, drink half 10-15 minutes before training, and sip the other half during. I use Bulk Modern for BCAA's.
  32. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary K View Post
    If you follow LeanGains, Martin's protocol is 10g BCAA preworkout, 10g post workout, and 10g every 2 hours after until you finally eat.
  33. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  170 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I use sns bulk leucine. 5g an hr after waking, 5g during workout and 5 gram post workout. Was mixing bcaas with the 5g during..
    MYOKEM ATHLETE & REP
    BJOHNSON15 @MYOKEM.COM FOR 15% OFF

PSALMS 62:1- 62:2
  34. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.

If you follow LeanGains, Martin's protocol is 10g BCAA preworkout, 10g post workout, and 10g every 2 hours after until you finally eat.
    enlightening.
    this sounds like a passable protocol, in that scenario.
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
    BCAA's plus a decent preworkout with some stim make fasted training doable for me. I do my preworkout formula about 45 minutes before training. BCAA's I mix 15 grams in a quart bottle, drink half 10-15 minutes before training, and sip the other half during. I use Bulk Modern for BCAA's.
    I do use a good stim PWO and consume BCAAs during my workout.
    After a year off, I'm back
  36. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.

never lift on empty stomach. Your workout will benefit from eating and you will burn/fatigue far further with calories in your system than you would coming in already depleted..
  37. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by wrathchild281
    never lift on empty stomach.
    The IF crowd would strongly disagree with this.

Similar Forum Threads

1. PWO meal for fasted morning cardio?
    By MakaveliThaDon in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-29-2011, 02:12 PM
  2. PWO Nutrition for FASTED Morning Trainers
    By Jag in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 07:52 PM
  3. Fasted AM Weight Lifting
    By djl in forum Supplements
    Replies: 13