Weird type of muscle failure, Maybe nervous system adaptation?? - AnabolicMinds.com

Weird type of muscle failure, Maybe nervous system adaptation??

1. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

Question Weird type of muscle failure, Maybe nervous system adaptation??

Hey guys today i trained chest and i went the heaviest i've gone on decline db press. I went up to 90's for the first time, the set before i did the 80's for a solid set of 5 which i also had never used, Didn't go to failure on that set as well. I was a little shaky with the 80's but figured i could probably get the 90's for a good set of possible 5. Anyways i got the first rep: perfect chest contracted super hard, lowered super slow and fired up the 2nd one..WHAM another perfect rep super controlled. At this point i definitely was thinking 5 reps, went to hit the 3rd rep and got about to lockout and left arm just "stopped contracting" no tear symptoms or anything it just like i said stopped. I have had this happen with overhead press trying a new weight as well. Does this sound like a nervous system adaptation to you guys? I figured it makes the most logical sense because it's A: A new weight and B: The weight was heavy but my chest contractions were super intense.

Reps were done with 3-4 second negatives too but i still felt really strong and in control, just kind of a goofy situation! I'm just happy no tear, i think i'd attribute that to how slow i was doing the reps WHEW
    I hope everybody thinks i'm crazy, because you cannot be a sane person and go through the type of pain i am willing to put myself through to be where i want to be, Once I completely win the war between my mind and body, my reign will begin. ~Me

2. New Member

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by thetinyguy
    Hey guys today i trained chest and i went the heaviest i've gone on decline db press. I went up to 90's for the first time, the set before i did the 80's for a solid set of 5 which i also had never used, Didn't go to failure on that set as well. I was a little shaky with the 80's but figured i could probably get the 90's for a good set of possible 5. Anyways i got the first rep: perfect chest contracted super hard, lowered super slow and fired up the 2nd one..WHAM another perfect rep super controlled. At this point i definitely was thinking 5 reps, went to hit the 3rd rep and got about to lockout and left arm just "stopped contracting" no tear symptoms or anything it just like i said stopped. I have had this happen with overhead press trying a new weight as well. Does this sound like a nervous system adaptation to you guys? I figured it makes the most logical sense because it's A: A new weight and B: The weight was heavy but my chest contractions were super intense.

Reps were done with 3-4 second negatives too but i still felt really strong and in control, just kind of a goofy situation! I'm just happy no tear, i think i'd attribute that to how slow i was doing the reps WHEW
    Man thats just failure. Failure isnt accompanied by a burn or killer pump when youre going heavy like that. Its still muscular failure tho. Nothing more. Nothing less.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

It sounds like some sort of neural or tendinous impingement the way you described it. Muscular failure will be associated with a longer duration of tension (ie..being able to push for 3-8 seconds, or resist the load coming down). If your arm just gave out, then that was either due to a lack of neural impulse, likely due to an acute impingement, or perhaps one of the RC muscle tendons or nerves that recruits it getting impinged.

Br
    •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 10:28 AM
  2. Confusion on types of test
    By Matthew D in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-12-2011, 11:57 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 05:02 PM
  4. Replies: 3