Jump Squats (dumbbell)

boogyman

Awards
I decided to add jump squats to my routine. I have seen them done 2 ways, one the person continuously jumps. The second the person squats, jumps and lands in a squat, then stands back up to reset. Then the next rep is done. Which way would be better, with the goal using it as an accessory to help add weight to the regular squat? I am leaning toward the second, but I'm not really sure as I have not done anything like this since high school.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
I do them in one continuous set.
Squat, explode up, land in squat position, explode up, repeat until you can't continue.
Try both ways and see what works best for you.
Good luck
Peace

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
do them both in your training. split them up into 2 separate workouts. or do them block periodization style.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
The prior is more similar to a plyometric accentuating the ssc. Doing them with more than 3-5 reps is conditioning based, and probably not the best thing to do with regards to loss of technique, installing bad movement patterns, and risk of injury as fatigue sets in.
The latter, where you land and reposition will help you come out of the hole with more force when squatting. Again, 3-5 reps NOT to fatigue.

As for load, I go by this equation: (1rm squat + body weight) x .5 - body weight

boogyman

Awards
The prior is more similar to a plyometric accentuating the ssc. Doing them with more than 3-5 reps is conditioning based, and probably not the best thing to do with regards to loss of technique, installing bad movement patterns, and risk of injury as fatigue sets in.
The latter, where you land and reposition will help you come out of the hole with more force when squatting. Again, 3-5 reps NOT to fatigue.

As for load, I go by this equation: (1rm squat + body weight) x .5 - body weight

Thanks for the confirmation, I was think along similiar lines.

I started a new traing routine a few days ago, Ive been doing 5x5 or 3x5 for a long time now and was getting bored. My routine goes like this:

Legs A
Push A
Pull A
Off
Legs B
Push B
Pull B
Off
Repeat

I will add the jump squats to Legs B, and I will do them first. That formula looks good, I'll use it, but the first couple times use a little less weight and work my way up.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sounds solid. Keep us in the loop of how it goes