Back to Linear Progression? Or on to 5/3/1?

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
Hi guys, I am relatively new here at AM and somewhat new to lifting.

I have been lifting for a total of 3 years, but the first year and a half I didnt really know what I was doing. During the last year or so I did Starting Strength for about 6 months and made some decent progress but started to feel really taxed from squatting heavy 3x a week (poor diet probably didnt help this). I switched to a 4 day upper/lower split and have been doing that for the last 5-6 months. I am going to be taking 2.5 weeks off from the gym because of a couple of back to back vacations coming up soon. When I return I was considering either going back onto Starting Strength for a short time before moving onto 5/3/1 or just starting 5/3/1 right away. I was hoping for some help in that decision. Here are my stats to help figure out what would be best for me.

Male
28 y.o.
6'2
208 lbs

Max Lifts (estimated using the formula Wendler gives in the 5/3/1 book)
Squat = 250 lbs
Deadlift = 250 lbs
Bench = 242 lbs
OHP = 136 lbs

(my squats and deads are low because of reoccurring back injury due primarily to poor form. Hopefully I have that figured out now though and can stay injury free for a while)

Do you think it would be wise to go back onto linear progression for a month or two after the time out of the gym? Or should I just move on and start 5/3/1?

I appreciate any suggestions, Thanks!

N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
I think you could probably go back to Starting Strength for a little while. Then again, there are a lot of testimonials from beginners making great progress on 531. I guess I'll let more knowledgeable people chime in here.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
I would say go into 5/3/1.. dont go straight in.. make your 100% 80% of what it really is..start like than and a year from that time (5/3/1 should be close to a 12month program) yoiu be amaze by your gains...

Never use calculate maxes for your actual max.. they are good for reference but they can be off.. i can deadlift 495 but most say it should be 455 and i cab bench 290 but most say it should be 322..

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you're constantly reinjuring yourself, you need to do rehab that lower back. If you're sure you're good to go with the lower back, then I would get into a program that allows for accessory work to have balance and address weak points. Here you'd do some lower back *conditioning,* upper back work, and ab stuff to strengthen your upper back and abs. These areas have to be engaged during the squat and deadlift to take stress off of the lower back - that and properly arching and maintaining the weight on your heels.

So with that said, if you want to do 5/3/1 then do 5/3/1 with Periodization Bible assistance.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^^^^ Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I love 5/3/1 with the periodization bible accessory protocol.

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
Thanks for the replies! I think I will just go ahead with 5/3/1 then. Thats the direction I was leaning anyway, I guess I just wanted some input for others.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Anytimee bud!

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
If you're constantly reinjuring yourself, you need to do rehab that lower back. If you're sure you're good to go with the lower back, then I would get into a program that allows for accessory work to have balance and address weak points. Here you'd do some lower back *conditioning,* upper back work, and ab stuff to strengthen your upper back and abs. These areas have to be engaged during the squat and deadlift to take stress off of the lower back - that and properly arching and maintaining the weight on your heels.

So with that said, if you want to do 5/3/1 then do 5/3/1 with Periodization Bible assistance.
I think I have the problems solved. I think what was happening was I was losing my arch at the bottom of the squat and I wasn't bracing my abs.

Lately I have been doing light good mornings (3x15) after squats and I have been keeping deadlifts light as well, doing 3x10. Is that kinda what you mean by "conditioning" my lower back?

I have also included ab work on squat and deadlift day. And have been doing face pulls for my upper back.

Do you have any recommendations on what assistance moves I should choose to really address my weak point (lower back)? Or do you think the GM's are good?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think I have the problems solved. I think what was happening was I was losing my arch at the bottom of the squat and I wasn't bracing my abs.

Lately I have been doing light good mornings (3x15) after squats and I have been keeping deadlifts light as well, doing 3x10. Is that kinda what you mean by "conditioning" my lower back?

I have also included ab work on squat and deadlift day. And have been doing face pulls for my upper back.

Do you have any recommendations on what assistance moves I should choose to really address my weak point (lower back)? Or do you think the GM's are good?
GMs are a great tool. I think you're headed in the right direction here. Kroc rows are also a great adjunct to pack muscle onto your upper back. If you do it the way Matt does, you actually do it at a bit of an incline, using heavy weight, and go balls to the wall trying to get high reps (like 15-20++).

I got a little ahead of myself when I used the phrase conditioning, but basically for any lower back accessory work use weight that allows you to get the most rep work in (18-20 reps). But remember, results come from making progress, so you would still up the weight regularly. As for deadlifts, since you say your lower back is fine go ahead and do them 5/3/1 style. Just listen to your body. If you feel good for a while squatting and deadlifting, you can start working up to using heavier weight for the lower rep ranges on lower back stuff (10-15). Depends on your goals at that point.