Deads are stalled on 531

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
Any idea why? I'm doing it right (90% of my 1rm) and doing it accordingly from there. My form was corrected recently by squeezing my shoulder blades and taking the strain off my lower back. That seemed to help a bit but my 1 rep max Hasn't been going up at all and it's been about 1.5-2 months.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
That's weird...my deads have gone up like 70lbs on 5/3/1.

For assistance, are you doing:

Kroc Rows?

Hanging Leg Raises?

Good Mornings?

Hamstring Curls?

Those have healed me a lot to get more strength! If not, try some deficit deadlifts OR chains/bands added to them, depending on where the weakness lies. Either on the beginning of the motion OR the lockout. Hope this helps!

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Try rack pulls!! start below the knee and every week bring it lower till you hit the floor!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Without looking at you pull, it's all just a shot in the dark.

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
That's weird...my deads have gone up like 70lbs on 5/3/1.

For assistance, are you doing:

Kroc Rows?

Hanging Leg Raises?

Good Mornings?

Hamstring Curls?

Those have healed me a lot to get more strength! If not, try some deficit deadlifts OR chains/bands added to them, depending on where the weakness lies. Either on the beginning of the motion OR the lockout. Hope this helps!
After deads I do lat pull downs then seated rows. And if I have enough time I'll do dumbbell rows. And if I remember I'll do straight arm press downs. Really trying to build the lats hoping that could be where my problem lies

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
Try rack pulls!! start below the knee and every week bring it lower till you hit the floor!
I was doing rack pulls but I'm 6'3 so it's hard to find a setting where I'm not arching my back but where I can keep the bar at my shins

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
Have your squats gone up at all?
Squats are about the same too though. I've been lacking really pushing my legs though. I play a lot of hockey and leg day is usually game day. Not an excuse but maybe that could be where the problem lies?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
After deads I do lat pull downs then seated rows. And if I have enough time I'll do dumbbell rows. And if I remember I'll do straight arm press downs. Really trying to build the lats hoping that could be where my problem lies
Every tried changing those Pulldowns for Chin Ups or Pull ups? And yeah, try to get those Kroc Rows (Single Arm Dumbbell Rows) I've seen a huge improvement in my Deadlifts thanks to them :p

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're not following the template at all. You're working muscles and not movements. Do you have the book?

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
It could be, squats and deads are very correlated and if you work on your squats ( which will work legs/core etc) it will no doubt help your deads. Doing 5 sets of 3 or 5x5 on both squats/deads along with all the other things ppl have recommended you should be fine

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
Every tried changing those Pulldowns for Chin Ups or Pull ups? And yeah, try to get those Kroc Rows (Single Arm Dumbbell Rows) I've seen a huge improvement in my Deadlifts thanks to them :p
No I've been meaning to try something different. Tomorrow I'll try it again and see what I can do. For Kroc rows do you kneel on the bench?

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
It could be, squats and deads are very correlated and if you work on your squats ( which will work legs/core etc) it will no doubt help your deads. Doing 5 sets of 3 or 5x5 on both squats/deads along with all the other things ppl have recommended you should be fine
Yeah. I feel as if my Hams are growing more quads are as well just not as much.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Lungess!! they helped me alot! with the barbell and dumbbells.. i rotate them in

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Also a great idea
im not sure if this is said already but my gym has like 4in high platfiorm you can stand on when you dead and do that for 2 weeks, once you are done its crazy how much you gain

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
im not sure if this is said already but my gym has like 4in high platfiorm you can stand on when you dead and do that for 2 weeks, once you are done its crazy how much you gain
His technique probably sucks as is. Doing it at a deficit is only going to make that worse.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
His technique probably sucks as is. Doing it at a deficit is only going to make that worse.
He is gonna need very strict form, especially at his height.

Just have someone film you for like 3-5 reps, I'm sure someone would be willing to since it does not take long at all

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Its crazy how much good technique can give you.. my bench has gone up and feels better after watching those videos you told me too

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
Woah easy there killer. I'm assuming it's because i may not have been following the program right

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
this

lat pull downs?

seated rows?

db rows?
DB Rows ARE part of the 5/3/1 routine BUT...They are NOT part of the 5/3/1 day, unless you are doing the BodyBuilder Assistance workout template...IMO Dumbbell rows go in the Bench Press and/or OH Press day.

napalm

napalm

Awards
DB Rows ARE part of the 5/3/1 routine BUT...They are NOT part of the 5/3/1 day, unless you are doing the BodyBuilder Assistance workout template...IMO Dumbbell rows go in the Bench Press and/or OH Press day.
you are correct sir, just saw the db rows in the periodization part on p 50

but lat pull downs and seated rows?

EDIT apparently i must spread some reputation around before giving it to celorza again, someone get him for me please...

Celorza

Celorza

Awards

EDIT apparently i must spread some reputation around before giving it to celorza again...
Hehe xD , Yeah neither Lat Pulldowns NOR Seated Rows are part of 5/3/1 for any scheme of powerlifting...They can be swapped for pull ups (according to some trainers) in the body builder assistance workout style...But then again...5/3/1 is more for powerlifting and strength training rather than Body Building...

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Hows your diet? Are you meeting your caloric requirements? If not your stall is only going to end up in regression. I don't know much about 5/3/1 but as previously stated, in the thread, a vid of form would be pretty useful if your problem lies in the mechanics of your pull. That'll also allow for auxiliary work suggestions to strengthen your weak links, we all have them. Also again not knowing much about 5/3/1, but it seems a few had pointed out deviation from the program. How many times a month are you going for lifts at 90-100% 1RM? If you've been beating yourself up a de-load may be beneficial at this time and a stall in your progression is hinting at that.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

EDIT apparently i must spread some reputation around before giving it to celorza again, someone get him for me please...
Hehe xD , Yeah neither Lat Pulldowns NOR Seated Rows are part of 5/3/1 for any scheme of powerlifting...They can be swapped for pull ups (according to some trainers) in the body builder assistance workout style...But then again...5/3/1 is more for powerlifting and strength training rather than Body Building...
I actually THINK there is a part about if you cant do X number of pull ups do lat pulldowns, but I may be wrong. Thanks again napalm.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hows your diet? Are you meeting your caloric requirements? If not your stall is only going to end up in regression. I don't know much about 5/3/1 but as previously stated, in the thread, a vid of form would be pretty useful if your problem lies in the mechanics of your pull. That'll also allow for auxiliary work suggestions to strengthen your weak links, we all have them. Also again not knowing much about 5/3/1, but it seems a few had pointed out deviation from the program. How many times a month are you going for lifts at 90-100% 1RM? If you've been beating yourself up a de-load may be beneficial at this time and a stall in your progression is hinting at that.
With adherence to 5/3/1, you're never above ~85% of 1RM.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Don't you hit 95% of 1RM on the third week of the macrocycle (5/3/1 week) Rodja? Or what do you mean :blink: I'm doing 5/3/1 now...I just don't wanna be doing it wrong.

(And I had been doing it wrong FTR)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't you hit 95% of 1RM on the third week of the macrocycle (5/3/1 week) Rodja? Or what do you mean :blink: I'm doing 5/3/1 now...I just don't wanna be doing it wrong.

(And I had been doing it wrong FTR)
It's 95% of 90% of your 1RM, which is ~85% of true 1RM.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
It's 95% of 90% of your 1RM, which is ~85% of true 1RM.
I forgot that...I feel like an idiot now haha, I have been doing my 95% 1RM every 3 weeks...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I forgot that...I feel like an idiot now haha, I have been doing my 95% 1RM every 3 weeks...
This underscores a very prominent problem with peoples approach to training. Many will spend days researching and looking into test boosters, pre-WOs, GH boosters, etc. and spend thousands of dollars in the process, but they won't spend $20 on a book with a proven program and read it cover-to-cover multiple times.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
This underscores a very prominent problem with peoples approach to training. Many will spend days researching and looking into test boosters, pre-WOs, GH boosters, etc. and spend thousands of dollars in the process, but they won't spend $20 on a book with a proven program and read it cover-to-cover multiple times.
I have it :( but I messed up the numbers...forgot its 95% of the 90% IRM...no wonder my Bench Stalled...also I was doing the periodization bible wrong , but I re-read it and got it right now...

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
I see, so he shouldn't even know his 1RM, while working, outside of doing it purely for testing/reference purposes.

This raises the question, with regards to program adherence, to the OP again how many times a month, and/or, are you working/testing in the 90-100% 1RM range? You had said your pull has been stalled at X amount of weight for one and a half to two months. Essentially, how many times, in that given time period, have you worked at, or tested your pull at X weight? If the frequency is higher then your threshold for systemic recovery then your stall will eventually lead to regression had you continued to work with frequency at such a high percentage of your 1RM. Also your diet plays huge into the equation as stated in my previous post if your not meeting caloric requirements your working backwards as well as dealing a huge hit to your recovery time and efficiency.

Edit: Grammer

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Amen

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
I see, so he shouldn't even know his 1RM, while working, outside of doing it purely for testing/reference purposes.

This raises the question, with regards to program adherence, to the OP again how many times a month, and/or, are you working/testing in the 90-100% 1RM range? You had said your pull has been stalled at X amount of weight for one and a half to two months. Essentially, how many times, in that given time period, have you worked at, or tested your pull at X weight? If the frequency is higher then your threshold for systemic recovery then your stall will eventually lead to regression had you continued to work with frequency at such a high percentage of your 1RM. Also your diet plays huge into the equation as stated in my previous post if your not meeting caloric requirements your working backwards as well as dealing a huge hit to your recovery time and efficiency.

Edit: Grammer
I haven't tested my 1rm. It is strictly using the calculator. So according to that, It really hasn't changed. I know it isn't always a reliable source but it just didn't seem to be changing. I actually did read the book and my workout was much different today

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
I haven't tested my 1rm. It is strictly using the calculator. So according to that, It really hasn't changed. I know it isn't always a reliable source but it just didn't seem to be changing. I actually did read the book and my workout was much different today
Calculator? IMO those are not applicable for a true reference. They are useful for finding percentages, working ranges, etc. but when it comes down to it all it is, is some one size fits all math equation that'll spit out a hypothetical number for you, and I stress hypothetical. Stack the plates and rip that **** off the floor my guess is you'll surprise yourself, no calculator can account for the human component and adrenaline rush of a PR. My purpose for asking that question was to see if you were maxing too often. If you had been, which of course now I know you were not, you most likely were stressing your body past your threshold for recovery and doing more harm then good. Since that isn't the case if it were me, I wouldn't rely on a math equation id want to chalk up and pull some heavy ass weight off the floor.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Calculator? IMO those are not applicable for a true reference. They are useful for finding percentages, working ranges, etc. but when it comes down to it all it is, is some one size fits all math equation that'll spit out a hypothetical number for you, and I stress hypothetical. Stack the plates and rip that **** off the floor my guess is you'll surprise yourself, no calculator can account for the human component and adrenaline rush of a PR. My purpose for asking that question was to see if you were maxing too often. If you had been, which of course now I know you were not, you most likely were stressing your body past your threshold for recovery and doing more harm then good. Since that isn't the case if it were me, I wouldn't rely on a math equation id want to chalk up and pull some heavy ass weight off the floor.
I wish those calculators were right. Otherwise my 1RM for squat would be 200lbs higher than it is currently :(

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
I wish those calculators were right. Otherwise my 1RM for squat would be 200lbs higher than it is currently :(
Damn. Well I will definitely tak the calculator with a grain of salt then. It seems right with my bench which is why I relied on it. But following 5 3 1 to the T today for bench I can tell I'm gonna be pretty sore and I like it

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I max out twice a week and have been doing so for months now. Programmed properly, you can be at that high of a 1RM% and keep the CNS fresh.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
I max out twice a week and have been doing so for months now. Programmed properly, you can be at that high of a 1RM% and keep the CNS fresh.
I would have to disagree completely. That would put you at 100% 1RM 8 times a month, 24 times if your maxing on all three lifts. I'm sorry but I do believe the negatives of this far outweigh the benefits especially in an un-enhanced state. Do you follow your max days will full workouts? That would be just cruel and unusual. What are your reasonings for maxing so often and on what exercises are you maxing, all 3 twice a week? Your profile says you fight MMA as well your maxing, sparing and cardio all in one week that seems like dropping an atomic bomb on your CNS weekly. Your caloric must be on par with Olympic athletes.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would have to disagree completely. That would put you at 100% 1RM 8 times a month, 24 times if your maxing on all three lifts. I'm sorry but I do believe the negatives of this far outweigh the benefits especially in an un-enhanced state. Do you follow your max days will full workouts? That would be just cruel and unusual. What are your reasonings for maxing so often and on what exercises are you maxing, all 3 twice a week? Your profile says you fight MMA as well your maxing, sparing and cardio all in one week that seems like dropping an atomic bomb on your CNS weekly. Your caloric must be on par with Olympic athletes.
I take it you're not familiar with the conjugate system?