Am i overtraining? (full routine)

chubbsp

chubbsp

Awards
Ok guys I'm finding it hard trying to figure out whether or not I'm overtraining, I don't feel tired/sluggish or any of the common signs of overtraining.. But I just have a feeling I may be pumping out too many sets.

My routine is a 6 day split with Sunday's as a rest day.

Monday- shoulders
Tuesday- chest
Wednesday-back
Thursday-arms
Friday- 500m swim , legs
Saturday- a crossfit style workout that works the whole body
Sunday-rest

Shoulders-

Arnold dumbbell press
Behind the neck smith machine press
Upright barbell row
Shrugs
Side raises
Alternate dumbbell front raises

4 sets of each 8-10 reps Total= 24 sets

Chest-

Incline dumbbell press
Flat Bench dumbbell press
Decline machine press
Incline cable flys
Incline dumbbell flys
Smith machine flat bench press

4 sets of each 8-10 reps Total= 24 sets

Back-

Wide grip pullups
Close grip pullups
Wide grip pull downs
V bar pull downs
Seated rows
One arm dumbbell rows
Deadlifts
Back extensions

4 sets of each 8-10 reps Total= 32 sets

Arms-

Biceps-

Barbell rows
Preachers curls
Alternate dumbbell curls
Cable curls
One arm cable curls

Triceps-

Skullcrushers
Close grip bench press
Cable push downs
Reserve grip one arm cable push down
Dips

4 sets of each 8-10 reps Total= 20 sets

Legs-

Leg press
Leg extension
Legs curls
Lunges
Seated calf raises
Standing calf raises

4 sets of each 12-15 reps Total= 24 sets

And Saturday is a 1 hour crossfit style workout, so what do u reckon guys overtraining or not? Your feedback is much appreciated.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
Its hard to say. It all comes down to volume vs intensity. There is nothing wrong with training like this from time to time. But do some hit here and there. See how u respond to it.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
I'll say you're going to be flirting with shoulder issues with this split. You're working the pectoral girdle 3 straight days (4 if you're doing rows on arm day) with the potential of a fourth on the crossfit day and even a fifth w the swimming (albeit not loading but repetitive use). I would condense or at the bare minimum separate your upper body work.

Ken Powers

Ken Powers

Awards
I'll say you're going to be flirting with shoulder issues with this split. You're working the pectoral girdle 3 straight days (4 if you're doing rows on arm day) with the potential of a fourth on the crossfit day and even a fifth w the swimming (albeit not loading but repetitive use). I would condense or at the bare minimum separate your upper body work.
Good point. I could've glanced over it, but something else that might play into this is I didn't see any specific rear delt work. If you have a front/rear delt imbalance you're definitely asking for at least some bicep tendinitis. Though depending on what stroke you use, your swimming could be saving you from this.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
I say cut it down to four days.. you honestly dont need a seperate arms day!!

It says you have q crossfit day, i have always heard negative comments about crossfit. What would you do on those days

chubbsp

chubbsp

Awards
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll change the shoulders to the end of the week and put legs in the middle, should break it up a bit.

I say cut it down to four days.. you honestly dont need a seperate arms day!!

It says you have q crossfit day, i have always heard negative comments about crossfit. What would you do on those days
Crossfit gets a bad rap because the general consensus is that they use bad form especially towards the end of the routines when they are dead tired and just trying to get out as many reps as possible before the time ends. Mine is just a circuit ive made up myself that involves 4-5 exercises that changes slighty each week, but basically looks something like this.

Wide grip pullups x 10
Dips x 20
Pushups x 30
Situps x 40
Bodyweight squats x 50

Do that 5 times and you'll be completly buggered lol. I use this as hit training

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
that makes sense bud,,. thanks for the info!!

woodbear

Awards
I like this one, its not very many people who it, but it does wonders for both strength and arms.
chest- triceps. ( closegrip bench and or dips should be on this day)
Back-biceps. (close reversegrip pulldowns, and some machine work for biceps, more pump related strict work for biceps, heavy and hard for back)
Shoulders- triceps again. ( wide reversegrip smith bench should be on this day. Hits the shoulders and upperpecs secondary to triceps)
Legs- biceps( this day biceps can get heavier work)

Rest days when needed. Try not going to failure on armwork nor do more than 6-9sets on them. This way the recover fine, feel,strong and assist greatly.

Armday leaves my arms alot sorer for days and does impair strength gains on the bigger bodyparts.
i ve put on alot of size with this, i love training arms, and this way i get a little often instead of alot more seldom.

Legs i only do every second round if i train 6 days a week, and for me is just a few sets of heavqy squats..but thats just me, my legs grow to dominant, so i m kinda holding them back a bit like this.

If arms are not ready , skip them now and then

Vote4pedro

Vote4pedro

Awards
I like this one, its not very many people who it, but it does wonders for both strength and arms.
chest- triceps. ( closegrip bench and or dips should be on this day)
Back-biceps. (close reversegrip pulldowns, and some machine work for biceps, more pump related strict work for biceps, heavy and hard for back)
Shoulders- triceps again. ( wide reversegrip smith bench should be on this day. Hits the shoulders and upperpecs secondary to triceps)
Legs- biceps( this day biceps can get heavier work)

Rest days when needed. Try not going to failure on armwork nor do more than 6-9sets on them. This way the recover fine, feel,strong and assist greatly.

Armday leaves my arms alot sorer for days and does impair strength gains on the bigger bodyparts.
i ve put on alot of size with this, i love training arms, and this way i get a little often instead of alot more seldom.

Legs i only do every second round if i train 6 days a week, and for me is just a few sets of heavqy squats..but thats just me, my legs grow to dominant, so i m kinda holding them back a bit like this.

If arms are not ready , skip them now and then
I don't know bro ... Arms heal a lot faster than other body parts ... I've gotten the most growth in arms with having an arm day and completely killing it ...

Muscle-Mind connection is key IMO ,.. If ur just doing ur workout and not making rep counts, and week after week ur jot lifting heavier ur wasting ur time ...

I don't think he's over training but ur def doing too much **** hahahaha take off Crossfit and or swim ... Ur muscles grow when u rest not when u work them out ...

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
You're not overtraining, but you do have a lot of unnecessary movements and improperly balanced routine. For example, there's no reason for all the chest exercises you have on your chest day. If you hit your bench press and progress on it weekly, then your chest has met the overload principle required for hypertrophy. Those extra movements after that are not going to accomplish anything the first one didn't, provided that you are progressing regularly on your bench press.

The 2nd thing I'd change is the frequency of your workouts. I'd decrease the volume and increase the frequency, turning it into a four-day upper/lower body routine. By doing an upper/lower routine, you are increasing the frequency that you can progress, training for both forms of hypertrophy (sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar) by varying the volume scheme for each workout.

Your chest day was just an example, the rest of your routine is too cluddered as well. Stick to the basics and add accessory movements in as you go. This is generally how I usually recommend a balanced program.

Pick two movements from the transverse plane, horizontal lifts (bench press, barbell row).

Pick two movements from the saggital plane, lower body lifts (squat, deadlift)

Pick two movements from the coronal plane, vertical lifts (pullups, overhead press).

Add in accessory movements if you'd like, I'd usually recommend a close grip bench press, weighted dips, power cleans, front squats, incline bench press.

Monday
Bench Press 5X5
Barbell Row 5X5
Incline Press 3X10
Pullup 3X10
Weighted Dips 3X10

Tuesday
Barbell Back Squat 3X5
SLDL 3X12
Front Squat 3X5
Hanging Leg Raises 3X10
Bridges 3 X 1/Min.

Thursday
Overhead Press 3X5
Chinups 3XF
Bench Press 3X10
Barbell Rows 3X10
CGBP 3X10

Friday
Power Clean 5X3
Speed Squats (50% of 1RM) - 6X3
Front Squat 3X5
Hanging Leg Raises 3X10
Bridges 3X/1min.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Read up on overtraining. Id be concerned if you split went like this

Monday
Chest
Tuesday
Chest
Wednesday
Chest
Thursday
Chest
Friday
Chest
Saturday
Chest
Sunday
Chest

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
Read up on overtraining. Id be concerned if you split went like this

Monday
Chest
Tuesday
Chest
Wednesday
Chest
Thursday
Chest
Friday
Chest
Saturday
Chest
Sunday
Chest
Seems goo to me. Go with this op. beach muscles all day

grippo

grippo

Awards
Where are the squat and deadlift variations? Some cleans will help that weak shoulder routine. Stick with the big lifts and throw in some accessory movements and supersets.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
looks like a great split actually. similar to the split i followed in high school.

woodbear

Awards
Main thing is to vary exercises reps,sets, intensity...spilts or amount of days, not that important. Just stay away from the extrme hit things...i spent years not growing from mentzer brainwashing. I had my best gains (natural...before my one month of havoc and pct, that lead to nothing other than make me miss some good drinking nights, and spend alot of cash..for insignificant gains) with medium to high volume training and eating, plus high frequency of the smaller bodyparts. A bit instincitive training.
I also believe living life is important, having a few beers now and then seems to boost my training more than tearing it down... If i gather with friends and get moderatly drunk, but in bed by 3am, i can set records in the gym 10-12 hours later if i sleep well. Think its something to do with testosterone rebound

I bulked up to 20% bodyfat by last xmas... Gained more an 35lbs in 2 years...dieted down to 7-8% in 4-5 months and looked 10 times bigger and btter than 2-3 years prior. ...eat, live, train consistant, smart and alot. If one does not gain,usually training and or food intake is not right..usuallly food.. Got over 2 inch bigger arms from that. Well before the diet , they where almost 3 inchs bigger than after the bulk.....apparantly i had som fat on my arms too