Am i overtraining? (full routine) - AnabolicMinds.com

Am i overtraining? (full routine)

1. New Member

Am i overtraining? (full routine)

Ok guys I'm finding it hard trying to figure out whether or not I'm overtraining, I don't feel tired/sluggish or any of the common signs of overtraining.. But I just have a feeling I may be pumping out too many sets.

My routine is a 6 day split with Sunday's as a rest day.

Monday- shoulders
    Tuesday- chest
    Wednesday-back
    Thursday-arms
    Friday- 500m swim , legs
    Saturday- a crossfit style workout that works the whole body
    Sunday-rest

Shoulders-

Arnold dumbbell press
    Behind the neck smith machine press
    Upright barbell row
    Shrugs
    Side raises
    Alternate dumbbell front raises

4 sets of each 8-10 reps Total= 24 sets

Chest-

Incline dumbbell press
    Flat Bench dumbbell press
    Decline machine press
    Incline cable flys
    Incline dumbbell flys
    Smith machine flat bench press

4 sets of each 8-10 reps Total= 24 sets

Back-

Wide grip pullups
    Close grip pullups
    Wide grip pull downs
    V bar pull downs
    Seated rows
    One arm dumbbell rows
    Deadlifts
    Back extensions

4 sets of each 8-10 reps Total= 32 sets

Arms-

Biceps-

Barbell rows
    Preachers curls
    Alternate dumbbell curls
    Cable curls
    One arm cable curls

Triceps-

Skullcrushers
    Close grip bench press
    Cable push downs
    Reserve grip one arm cable push down
    Dips

4 sets of each 8-10 reps Total= 20 sets

Legs-

Leg press
    Leg extension
    Legs curls
    Lunges
    Seated calf raises
    Standing calf raises

4 sets of each 12-15 reps Total= 24 sets

And Saturday is a 1 hour crossfit style workout, so what do u reckon guys overtraining or not? Your feedback is much appreciated.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

Its hard to say. It all comes down to volume vs intensity. There is nothing wrong with training like this from time to time. But do some hit here and there. See how u respond to it.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

I'll say you're going to be flirting with shoulder issues with this split. You're working the pectoral girdle 3 straight days (4 if you're doing rows on arm day) with the potential of a fourth on the crossfit day and even a fifth w the swimming (albeit not loading but repetitive use). I would condense or at the bare minimum separate your upper body work.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdb2 View Post
    I'll say you're going to be flirting with shoulder issues with this split. You're working the pectoral girdle 3 straight days (4 if you're doing rows on arm day) with the potential of a fourth on the crossfit day and even a fifth w the swimming (albeit not loading but repetitive use). I would condense or at the bare minimum separate your upper body work.
    Good point. I could've glanced over it, but something else that might play into this is I didn't see any specific rear delt work. If you have a front/rear delt imbalance you're definitely asking for at least some bicep tendinitis. Though depending on what stroke you use, your swimming could be saving you from this.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

I say cut it down to four days.. you honestly dont need a seperate arms day!!

It says you have q crossfit day, i have always heard negative comments about crossfit. What would you do on those days
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/198788-highschool-athlete-thread.html
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Doubt it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. New Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll change the shoulders to the end of the week and put legs in the middle, should break it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by benmayro
    I say cut it down to four days.. you honestly dont need a seperate arms day!!

It says you have q crossfit day, i have always heard negative comments about crossfit. What would you do on those days
    Crossfit gets a bad rap because the general consensus is that they use bad form especially towards the end of the routines when they are dead tired and just trying to get out as many reps as possible before the time ends. Mine is just a circuit ive made up myself that involves 4-5 exercises that changes slighty each week, but basically looks something like this.

Wide grip pullups x 10
    Dips x 20
    Pushups x 30
    Situps x 40
    Bodyweight squats x 50

Do that 5 times and you'll be completly buggered lol. I use this as hit training
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

that makes sense bud,,. thanks for the info!!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/198788-highschool-athlete-thread.html
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  170 lbs.

I like this one, its not very many people who it, but it does wonders for both strength and arms.
    chest- triceps. ( closegrip bench and or dips should be on this day)
    Back-biceps. (close reversegrip pulldowns, and some machine work for biceps, more pump related strict work for biceps, heavy and hard for back)
    Shoulders- triceps again. ( wide reversegrip smith bench should be on this day. Hits the shoulders and upperpecs secondary to triceps)
    Legs- biceps( this day biceps can get heavier work)

Rest days when needed. Try not going to failure on armwork nor do more than 6-9sets on them. This way the recover fine, feel,strong and assist greatly.

Armday leaves my arms alot sorer for days and does impair strength gains on the bigger bodyparts.
    i ve put on alot of size with this, i love training arms, and this way i get a little often instead of alot more seldom.

Legs i only do every second round if i train 6 days a week, and for me is just a few sets of heavqy squats..but thats just me, my legs grow to dominant, so i m kinda holding them back a bit like this.

If arms are not ready , skip them now and then
  10. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by woodbear
    I like this one, its not very many people who it, but it does wonders for both strength and arms.
    chest- triceps. ( closegrip bench and or dips should be on this day)
    Back-biceps. (close reversegrip pulldowns, and some machine work for biceps, more pump related strict work for biceps, heavy and hard for back)
    Shoulders- triceps again. ( wide reversegrip smith bench should be on this day. Hits the shoulders and upperpecs secondary to triceps)
    Legs- biceps( this day biceps can get heavier work)

Rest days when needed. Try not going to failure on armwork nor do more than 6-9sets on them. This way the recover fine, feel,strong and assist greatly.

Armday leaves my arms alot sorer for days and does impair strength gains on the bigger bodyparts.
    i ve put on alot of size with this, i love training arms, and this way i get a little often instead of alot more seldom.

Legs i only do every second round if i train 6 days a week, and for me is just a few sets of heavqy squats..but thats just me, my legs grow to dominant, so i m kinda holding them back a bit like this.

If arms are not ready , skip them now and then
    I don't know bro ... Arms heal a lot faster than other body parts ... I've gotten the most growth in arms with having an arm day and completely killing it ...

Muscle-Mind connection is key IMO ,.. If ur just doing ur workout and not making rep counts, and week after week ur jot lifting heavier ur wasting ur time ...

I don't think he's over training but ur def doing too much **** hahahaha take off Crossfit and or swim ... Ur muscles grow when u rest not when u work them out ...
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

You're not overtraining, but you do have a lot of unnecessary movements and improperly balanced routine. For example, there's no reason for all the chest exercises you have on your chest day. If you hit your bench press and progress on it weekly, then your chest has met the overload principle required for hypertrophy. Those extra movements after that are not going to accomplish anything the first one didn't, provided that you are progressing regularly on your bench press.

The 2nd thing I'd change is the frequency of your workouts. I'd decrease the volume and increase the frequency, turning it into a four-day upper/lower body routine. By doing an upper/lower routine, you are increasing the frequency that you can progress, training for both forms of hypertrophy (sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar) by varying the volume scheme for each workout.

Your chest day was just an example, the rest of your routine is too cluddered as well. Stick to the basics and add accessory movements in as you go. This is generally how I usually recommend a balanced program.

Pick two movements from the transverse plane, horizontal lifts (bench press, barbell row).

Pick two movements from the saggital plane, lower body lifts (squat, deadlift)

Pick two movements from the coronal plane, vertical lifts (pullups, overhead press).

Add in accessory movements if you'd like, I'd usually recommend a close grip bench press, weighted dips, power cleans, front squats, incline bench press.

Monday
    Bench Press 5X5
    Barbell Row 5X5
    Incline Press 3X10
    Pullup 3X10
    Weighted Dips 3X10

Tuesday
    Barbell Back Squat 3X5
    SLDL 3X12
    Front Squat 3X5
    Hanging Leg Raises 3X10
    Bridges 3 X 1/Min.

Thursday
    Overhead Press 3X5
    Chinups 3XF
    Bench Press 3X10
    Barbell Rows 3X10
    CGBP 3X10

Friday
    Power Clean 5X3
    Speed Squats (50% of 1RM) - 6X3
    Front Squat 3X5
    Hanging Leg Raises 3X10
    Bridges 3X/1min.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Read up on overtraining. Id be concerned if you split went like this

Monday
    Chest
    Tuesday
    Chest
    Wednesday
    Chest
    Thursday
    Chest
    Friday
    Chest
    Saturday
    Chest
    Sunday
    Chest
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  231 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz
    Read up on overtraining. Id be concerned if you split went like this

Monday
    Chest
    Tuesday
    Chest
    Wednesday
    Chest
    Thursday
    Chest
    Friday
    Chest
    Saturday
    Chest
    Sunday
    Chest
    Seems goo to me. Go with this op. beach muscles all day
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Where are the squat and deadlift variations? Some cleans will help that weak shoulder routine. Stick with the big lifts and throw in some accessory movements and supersets.
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

looks like a great split actually. similar to the split i followed in high school.
    I'm just a dude chasing a dream
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  170 lbs.

Main thing is to vary exercises reps,sets, intensity...spilts or amount of days, not that important. Just stay away from the extrme hit things...i spent years not growing from mentzer brainwashing. I had my best gains (natural...before my one month of havoc and pct, that lead to nothing other than make me miss some good drinking nights, and spend alot of cash..for insignificant gains) with medium to high volume training and eating, plus high frequency of the smaller bodyparts. A bit instincitive training.
    I also believe living life is important, having a few beers now and then seems to boost my training more than tearing it down... If i gather with friends and get moderatly drunk, but in bed by 3am, i can set records in the gym 10-12 hours later if i sleep well. Think its something to do with testosterone rebound

I bulked up to 20% bodyfat by last xmas... Gained more an 35lbs in 2 years...dieted down to 7-8% in 4-5 months and looked 10 times bigger and btter than 2-3 years prior. ...eat, live, train consistant, smart and alot. If one does not gain,usually training and or food intake is not right..usuallly food.. Got over 2 inch bigger arms from that. Well before the diet , they where almost 3 inchs bigger than after the bulk.....apparantly i had som fat on my arms too
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Am i overtraining?
    By sreed11 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-25-2007, 12:10 AM
  2. Basement training to gym Am i overtraining HELP
    By poacher in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 02:14 PM
  3. Am I overtraining?
    By jjm in forum Exercise Science