Smith machine weight

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
I dont use the smith machine often but when I do I pretend the bar us 45. Like if i have a 45 on each side I record it as 135. Does anyone know what the average weight is

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They vary dramatically from machine to machine.

In my gym if you unhook the bar and let go it drops slower than a pencil would if you dropped it.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
i dont think the speed of it would be a great measure of weight if it due how it is built, the pencil would be able to accelerate quicker due to less friction opposing the 9.81m/s thats being applied to it be gravity

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
this. the guides slow it a lil but the resistance isn't much and it shouldn't really impact weight since you don't have to focus on balance.
i dont mean like the weight it would add to my bench, i mean how much the bar weighs

boogyman

Awards
Most I have used feel like a lot less than 45lbs. But then again, I have not touched one in many years, and it could just be perception.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do what I do: use free-weights and you don't have to worry about it.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
i think it will be really hard for feel to tell the weight, I only use the smith for calf raises so knowing the exact weight doesnt matter but my curiosty got the better of me and my research proved fruitless

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Do what I do: use free-weights and you don't have to worry about it.
i do except for only singular workout, i was just curious hahaha. Im the type of guy that likes to know everything

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i dont think the speed of it would be a great measure of weight if it due how it is built, the pencil would be able to accelerate quicker due to less friction opposing the 9.81m/s thats being applied to it be gravity
Yes but you want to compare it to something which is based on weight alone i.e. gravity. :)

My point is, they vary greatly. If it drops slower than gravity pulls then how will that effect the eccentric phase of your lift (assuming you are pushing upwards).

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Yes but you want to compare it to something which is based on weight alone i.e. gravity. :)

My point is, they vary greatly. If it drops slower than gravity pulls then how will that effect the eccentric phase of your lift (assuming you are pushing upwards).
Now that is a good question, because no matter how small there must be a coefficient of friction that exists, especially since it effects gravity enough to slow it dowm considerably, i should have asked for its mass(kg) because it would weigh differently due to the fact of its connected to the track

Cloust

Awards
Be sure to do your max, maintain only one reference of weight, and keep upping that weight. In the end, doesn't matter if it's 100lbs or 135lbs, what matter is that you are progressing ( adding weight to the bar ).

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Be sure to do your max, maintain only one reference of weight, and keep upping that weight. In the end, doesn't matter if it's 100lbs or 135lbs, what matter is that you are progressing ( adding weight to the bar ).
thats what i do, i was just curious on the mass of one of those bars... it wasnt a routibe question or a workout question. i maybe use the smith once every two weeks for one workout. i honestlt just wanted to know how much mass a normal bar. weighs

carnivalhobo

Awards
the one at the golds i go to has the weight on the machine as 15lbs from the factory, but its been scratched out and someone wrote 10lbs at some point FWIW

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Get the scales, unclip the bar and rest it on them and see what it measures at?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think if you unclip the bar it makes it 45lbs, doesn't it? It does at my gym (I never knew this until 4 weeks ago!)