Smith machine weight

  1. Registered User
    benmayro's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,914
    Answers
    0

    Smith machine weight


    I dont use the smith machine often but when I do I pretend the bar us 45. Like if i have a 45 on each side I record it as 135. Does anyone know what the average weight is
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/198788-highschool-athlete-thread.html

  2. Registered User
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,169
    Answers
    2


    They vary dramatically from machine to machine.

    In my gym if you unhook the bar and let go it drops slower than a pencil would if you dropped it.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  3. Registered User
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,514
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    They vary dramatically from machine to machine.

    In my gym if you unhook the bar and let go it drops slower than a pencil would if you dropped it.
    this. the guides slow it a lil but the resistance isn't much and it shouldn't really impact weight since you don't have to focus on balance.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    benmayro's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,914
    Answers
    0


    i dont think the speed of it would be a great measure of weight if it due how it is built, the pencil would be able to accelerate quicker due to less friction opposing the 9.81m/s thats being applied to it be gravity
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/198788-highschool-athlete-thread.html
  5. Registered User
    benmayro's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,914
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by gregg1494

    this. the guides slow it a lil but the resistance isn't much and it shouldn't really impact weight since you don't have to focus on balance.
    i dont mean like the weight it would add to my bench, i mean how much the bar weighs
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/198788-highschool-athlete-thread.html
  6. Registered User
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Answers
    0


    Most I have used feel like a lot less than 45lbs. But then again, I have not touched one in many years, and it could just be perception.
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,136
    Answers
    0


    Do what I do: use free-weights and you don't have to worry about it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. Registered User
    benmayro's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,914
    Answers
    0


    i think it will be really hard for feel to tell the weight, I only use the smith for calf raises so knowing the exact weight doesnt matter but my curiosty got the better of me and my research proved fruitless
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/198788-highschool-athlete-thread.html
  9. Registered User
    benmayro's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,914
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    Do what I do: use free-weights and you don't have to worry about it.
    i do except for only singular workout, i was just curious hahaha. Im the type of guy that likes to know everything
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/198788-highschool-athlete-thread.html
  10. Registered User
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,514
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
    Most I have used feel like a lot less than 45lbs. But then again, I have not touched one in many years, and it could just be perception.
    some of the bars differ. they can go from 45, 35, to even 15. if you look on the smith it should say.
  11. Registered User
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,169
    Answers
    2


    Quote Originally Posted by benmayro View Post
    i dont think the speed of it would be a great measure of weight if it due how it is built, the pencil would be able to accelerate quicker due to less friction opposing the 9.81m/s thats being applied to it be gravity
    Yes but you want to compare it to something which is based on weight alone i.e. gravity.

    My point is, they vary greatly. If it drops slower than gravity pulls then how will that effect the eccentric phase of your lift (assuming you are pushing upwards).
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  12. Registered User
    benmayro's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,914
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by bdcc

    Yes but you want to compare it to something which is based on weight alone i.e. gravity.

    My point is, they vary greatly. If it drops slower than gravity pulls then how will that effect the eccentric phase of your lift (assuming you are pushing upwards).
    Now that is a good question, because no matter how small there must be a coefficient of friction that exists, especially since it effects gravity enough to slow it dowm considerably, i should have asked for its mass(kg) because it would weigh differently due to the fact of its connected to the track
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/198788-highschool-athlete-thread.html
  13. Registered User
    Cloust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16
    Answers
    0


    Be sure to do your max, maintain only one reference of weight, and keep upping that weight. In the end, doesn't matter if it's 100lbs or 135lbs, what matter is that you are progressing ( adding weight to the bar ).
  14. Registered User
    benmayro's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,914
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Cloust
    Be sure to do your max, maintain only one reference of weight, and keep upping that weight. In the end, doesn't matter if it's 100lbs or 135lbs, what matter is that you are progressing ( adding weight to the bar ).
    thats what i do, i was just curious on the mass of one of those bars... it wasnt a routibe question or a workout question. i maybe use the smith once every two weeks for one workout. i honestlt just wanted to know how much mass a normal bar. weighs
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/198788-highschool-athlete-thread.html
  15. Registered User
    carnivalhobo's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    99
    Answers
    0


    the one at the golds i go to has the weight on the machine as 15lbs from the factory, but its been scratched out and someone wrote 10lbs at some point FWIW
  16. Registered User
    Docmattic's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,079
    Answers
    0


    Get the scales, unclip the bar and rest it on them and see what it measures at?
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html
  17. Registered User
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Answers
    0


    I think if you unclip the bar it makes it 45lbs, doesn't it? It does at my gym (I never knew this until 4 weeks ago!)
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. smith machine bar weight
    By keater824 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-06-2008, 11:23 PM
  2. Reverse-Grip Bench Press on Smith Machine for Triceps
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-21-2008, 03:58 AM
  3. Smith Machine, useful? or Towel rack?
    By Basso in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 02-27-2006, 01:35 PM
  4. I hate the smith machine
    By notwerby in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 05:46 PM
  5. Difference In Smith & Free Weights
    By candle25 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 10:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in