Training around disc/nerve issues

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anyone here have issues with a cervical disc? Two years ago, I started experiencing pain in my upper back and neck on the right side and, at first, the pain/numbness radiated down my arm. Went to the doc, and she said my symptoms sounded like a bulging disc (C7), but all she wanted to do was have me take Rx-strength Aleve for 6 months, and then discuss surgery if that didn't help. Yeah... no.

Fast forward to now --- and I am able to deal with the constant, nagging pain. I no longer get the sensations down my arm, and I don't think I've lost any strength on that side. However, after every shoulder or back workout, my right trap and neck area is really painful (as opposed to moderately painful on other days). Not the kind of pain you can pinpoint exactly and "reach." I can narrow the source down to a spot, but it flows all the way up my neck. The one exercise that seems to aggravate it the most is shrugs. (No, I don't rotate.) However, even after eliminating shrugs from my routine, I still suffer. Lifting heavy dumbbells off the rack, etc. seems to perpetuate the situation.

The pain is manageable, but it's annoying. I'm not looking for chiro suggestions, and surgery is out of the question. So, now that I've limited your ability to help me... help? :lol:

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you tried cortisone injections or an inversion table?

I've dealt with one disc injury that required a 2 level fusion, and right now I have a herniated L5/S1 disc that is keeping me almost totally off my feet. Surgery ****ing sucks, and it took me a full year to recover so I understand your POV on that.

I start PT tomorrow, so I'll post up with the ideas they give me to help out with the nagging (and sometimes debilitating) pain.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you tried cortisone injections or an inversion table?

I've dealt with one disc injury that required a 2 level fusion, and right now I have a herniated L5/S1 disc that is keeping me almost totally off my feet. Surgery ****ing sucks, and it took me a full year to recover so I understand your POV on that.

I start PT tomorrow, so I'll post up with the ideas they give me to help out with the nagging (and sometimes debilitating) pain.
I haven't tried cortisone shots, but I'll talk to the doc about it. And yes, please post up any ideas/protocols you discover. Hope you're back on your feet soon, bud.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bumping this for ya-

PT was nothing groundbreaking. They gave me a stretching protocol and advised core work like planking that doesn't involve spine flexion.

I had an MRI this morning, so I'll post up with the results and treatment plan just to help give ideas.

Sorry I didn't have something more comprehensive for ya!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bump again. My MRI shows bulged discs at every spot from L1 to S1, with one herniated. I have a referral to consult with a spine surgeon this week; I'm hoping to get away with epidural steroid injections into the discs. I've had a fusion done and it sucks...I sure as **** don't want it done on 5 levels. :/

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bump again. My MRI shows bulged discs at every spot from L1 to S1, with one herniated. I have a referral to consult with a spine surgeon this week; I'm hoping to get away with epidural steroid injections into the discs. I've had a fusion done and it sucks...I sure as **** don't want it done on 5 levels. :/
Dude, sorry to hear that. Let's hope the injections can do the trick. Keep me posted.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dude, sorry to hear that. Let's hope the injections can do the trick. Keep me posted.
It's part of me being an old man that has treated my body poorly via 14 years of football. :laughing:

If I find an alternative to injections and/or surgery, I'll damn sure post it up!

tjwoody

Awards
i dont have upper spine issues but have herniations at l4/l5. for me i had to figure out how to correct posture issues and insure i was making weaker muscles stronger to help hold things together. i suffered for some years and first i lost weight and my issue was helped my working on mobility in hips, psoas, glutes. i can now do things like BB rows, squats, deads, but ill never push them to hard.

find out about muscles in the area(s) bothering you and maybe mobility can help?

good luck!

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Keen on more info guys! My last 2 verts are bulged and even standing hurts. I had a CT, now going for MRI. I noticed from work my hips also put pressure in my lower back, it sucks.