Training Material

Apal79

Awards
I am 32 yrs old, 5'6, 220. I have always been dealing with weight issues and I do stay active with indoor soccer and softball at least once a week. I mix this in with cardio at the gym twice a week, mostly elliptical, run as long as I can and the bike heavy resistance for ten minutes, 5 minute cool down afterwards. That is what I push for, time permitting. I read Starting Strength and bought a rack for my garage and I workout 2-3 times per week. Started 2 months ago. Squats, dead, press, bench, and attempt power clean. Recently went from 3x5 to 4x12, it felt liked muscles could handle the weight but joints and ligaments couldn't keep up. Not putting up a lot of weight but steadily climbing.

That's my background.

My goal is to build strength and lose weight.

Is there a good training resource out there that might offer some guidance on weight training and lifts? There are a ton of diets out there, do you know of one that may help with lifting and weight loss?

Thanks for the advice and remember I am a newby, I may not know all the lingo.

GeovanniG

GeovanniG

Awards
Is there a good training resource out there that might offer some guidance on weight training and lifts? There are a ton of diets out there, do you know of one that may help with lifting and weight loss?

Thanks for the advice and remember I am a newby, I may not know all the lingo.
Starting Strength should be a great guidance on weight training.

And for your diet, stick to a clean diet consisting of lots of protein.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
As far as diet is concerned, don't worry about specific diets or calorie counts just yet. The first step should be to cut back and eventually eliminate unhealthy, less nutrient dense foods and see how you react (whether you start to lose and lean up or not). At that point then you can start to play w the specifics

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you looking for exercise tutorials...like how to properly bench press, squat, etc. Or more for something program orientated?

Br

boogyman

Awards
As far as diet is concerned, don't worry about specific diets or calorie counts just yet. The first step should be to cut back and eventually eliminate unhealthy, less nutrient dense foods and see how you react (whether you start to lose and lean up or not). At that point then you can start to play w the specifics
I agree. Most people can get lots of gains by just "cutting the crap" out of your diet. I think the average person consumes so many more calories from drinks than they realize. Try drinking only water and milk for a while and cut out junk foods and unhealthy snacks for a while. At dinner eat extra vegetables to help keep you full. Apples are also good for this, eat one after lunch to keep from snacking. Do make sure you don't undereat though and try and get lots of protein, that will help ensure you keep making strength gains. Good luck!!!

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
A simple starting point with diet is eating clean unprocessed foods, if it grows or walks you can eat it.
Eliminate soda and junk food, and you're on your way.
Good luck.
Peace