Chest thickness/stick out

gibbons2

Awards
My chest seems to not stick out as much as I'd like it to. I've literally tried everything. I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest a workout for this? maybe it's just my genetics but idk.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Just try and keep working your way up in weight! Don't give up. If you're repping 315 and your bodyfat is in control, you're not going to have problems with chest thickness.

If benching is working for you, maybe try more work with dumbbells and experiment a bit with TUT and pre-exhausting. Without knowing much about you or your training history, its fairly difficult to make an accurate assessment. Hopefully this will point you in the proper direction though!

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Inclined presses will help.

I blast my chest every day to get it thick lol. Until it hurts to move my arms

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Definately would not recommend doing this.. chest is very CNS taxing and working it every day will burn you out. Not to mention you have not allowed it enoughed time to adequetly recover. For your health and safety I would strongly recommend against doing this.

For the OP, just remember to increase workout loads to stimulate muscle growth. If, for example, you can bench 80lbs (example only) and you can do 10 reps (equating to 800lbs of work [80x10=800] and then next workout you increase to 100lbs for 5 reps, you are actually perfroming less total work [100x5=500] and so even though the weight is higher, the total work performed is lower, therefore you need to do at least 9 reps [100x9=900] to grow further.

Of course this is only ONE way to promote growth. Increasing intensity (i.e. supersets, forced reps etc.) will also promote growth to a degree. Just remeber to keep progressing.

mik14

mik14

Awards
After reading up on different opinions and debats about dunbell or barbel for chest, i used dunbell yesterday as i been using the bar for the past few years and i hae to say with the dunbells i felt it a hell of alot more, the pump was awesome, my chest is still rock hard today, il def stick to dunbell and throw in the odd bar every now and then.

ANIMALHAUS

ANIMALHAUS

Awards

This is terrible advice.

BigShadow

BigShadow

Awards
  • Established

After reading this my right shoulder started throbbing again. Thanks buddy almost had it healed ;)

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
I've noticed my chest filling in much better now that I focus more on incline movements. I also always start my workout with inclines. Usually I start with incline presses and then standing incline cable flys, then move to dumbbell pullovers and then pec decks, 5 sets each.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Definately would not recommend doing this.. chest is very CNS taxing and working it every day will burn you out. Not to mention you have not allowed it enoughed time to adequetly recover. For your health and safety I would strongly recommend against doing this.

For the OP, just remember to increase workout loads to stimulate muscle growth. If, for example, you can bench 80lbs (example only) and you can do 10 reps (equating to 800lbs of work [80x10=800] and then next workout you increase to 100lbs for 5 reps, you are actually perfroming less total work [100x5=500] and so even though the weight is higher, the total work performed is lower, therefore you need to do at least 9 reps [100x9=900] to grow further.

Of course this is only ONE way to promote growth. Increasing intensity (i.e. supersets, forced reps etc.) will also promote growth to a degree. Just remeber to keep progressing.
Interesting way to look at it...

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

gibbons2

Awards
If you have wide shoulders it may be one of the reasons you are lacking chest stick out. Just compare jay cutlers chest to phil heaths. Jay has wide shoulders.

Dumbbell bench should help. Changing up your grip with on bench may also help.

Sick in there tho. Everyone has a body part they struggle to develop. Just got to find the right training routine for it.
thanks! I've recently been switching workouts and I've been feeling pretty good. we'll see how it goes.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I change exercise rotation and equipment constantly and I log the weights/reps for all. EX: Last week for chest in this order I did medium incline DBs,Decline BB, and then High incline BB. This week I will do High incline DBs,medium incline BB,and Decline BB. I know what my weights/reps were for each the last time I did each and always try to progress with each. Variety and progression will give you growth.

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
Crush Grip DB Bench Press is still my favorite chest exercise. It's the best for TUT IMO.

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
My chest seems to not stick out as much as I'd like it to. I've literally tried everything. I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest a workout for this? maybe it's just my genetics but idk.
INCLINES..theres your answer..i do 4 exercises for chest and 3 are always incline and at different angles and my routine changes weekly,never the same...plus it comes to genetics,my chest is bulky as hell,yet my arms are not even close to where i like them to be.

also a pre exhaust routine may work as well..worked wonders for my bro. As well as myself.

My routine today in this order:
-incline 45 degree DB presses
-Incline 30 degree DB flys
-Flat smith machine Bp ( allows me to psh heavier weight when im fatuguing as well as isolates the muscle much better)
-HS Seated incline presses

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
INCLINES..theres your answer..i do 4 exercises for chest and 3 are always incline and at different angles and my routine changes weekly,never the same...plus it comes to genetics,my chest is bulky as hell,yet my arms are not even close to where i like them to be.

also a pre exhaust routine may work as well..worked wonders for my bro. As well as myself.

My routine today in this order:
-incline 45 degree DB presses
-Incline 30 degree DB flys
-Flat smith machine Bp ( allows me to psh heavier weight when im fatuguing as well as isolates the muscle much better)
-HS Seated incline presses
How many sets do you do for each exercise? Just curious.

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
How many sets do you do for each exercise? Just curious.
All depends to be honest.Dwpends my mood and energy levels.. For example yesterdays routine.. ex1 -3 sets...ex2-3 sets...ex3- 4 sets...ex4-4 sets..More often than not 3 sets.

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
All depends to be honest.Dwpends my mood and energy levels.. For example yesterdays routine.. ex1 -3 sets...ex2-3 sets...ex3- 4 sets...ex4-4 sets..More often than not 3 sets.
Ah, I do a lot of high volume training, like 5 sets or more per exercise for 4 to 5 exercises usually. Though I've been contemplating doing a lower volume routine due to recurring shoulder problems. I think if I lower sets though I would want to change my workout to a 3 day split or something so that I would hit full body more than once a week since I could do each muscle group in less time like that.

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
Ah, I do a lot of high volume training, like 5 sets or more per exercise for 4 to 5 exercises usually. Though I've been contemplating doing a lower volume routine due to recurring shoulder problems. I think if I lower sets though I would want to change my workout to a 3 day split or something so that I would hit full body more than once a week since I could do each muscle group in less time like that.
so doing 5 sets 4-5 exercises,whats your rep range? I honestly feel thats a lot of sets,but everyone reacts diff...For me that seems to long. How is your body reacting to it? How long you been doing it?

Whats your routine like right now?

uvawahoowa

Awards
so doing 5 sets 4-5 exercises,whats your rep range? I honestly feel thats a lot of sets,but everyone reacts diff...For me that seems to long. How is your body reacting to it? How long you been doing it?

I do high volume too, 4-5 exercises, 16-20 sets. Works for me.

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
I do high volume too, 4-5 exercises, 16-20 sets. Works for me.
well im round 4 exercsies 12-15 sets....some days i feel very pumped and will do 4 sets of everything...But mentally i feel its not necessary,so I stick with 3-4 ,,,3 more often..

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards

Reps are usually aimed at something like 15, 10, 8, 5, 3. Sometimes on squats and deadlifts ends up being a little less but I usually do 6 or more sets for those exercises. Except for having some joint issues it's worked great, all of my lifts have gone up since I started doing higher volume. I've been working out like this since about February of this year, with the exception of a month where I deloaded to give myself a rest. Honestly after working out with so many sets I don't even feel like I'm warmed up until the 3rd or 4th set. Working out like this I've increased my squat from 275 to 365, and my deadlift from 275 to about 335 for a reference of strength gain. Keep in mind there was also a halodrol cycle in this timeframe, but before that cycle I could squat 335 and deadlift 315.

My routine right now is 5 sets per exercise, 4 exercises per muscle group. For example chest day I'll do incline DB press, standing incline cable flys, DB pullovers, and pec deck all for 5 sets each aiming for the rep range I said earlier.