"HardGainer" Workout Review

Newbie125

Awards
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to find a good workout routine to pack on mass. I'm not new to lifting, but have been focused on endurance sports in the past. Bodybuilding.com has posted a new routine for "hardgainers", but I don't know if its any good.

Here is a link to the workout: bodybuilding.com/fun/hardgainer-workout-ready-set-grow.html

I would appreciate any feedback or recommendations!

Thanks!

Stats:
142 lb
5'11"

jeep95yj

Awards
A quick search will get you tons of exercise routines/splits. Whatever you go with focus on intensity, form, diet, and rest.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's a bit too simple what is suggested in that workout. Plus, there's no need to lift 6 days a week. The concept of compound movements is a good idea, though.

Check out west side for skinny bastards. There's 3 parts to the series, but I think you'll get a lot more out of that (with good nutrition) than whats listed above.

Br

boogyman

Awards
Check out Starting Strength, Madcows 5x5, WSSB, Stronglifts, ect.

For "newbies", I can't recomend Starting Strength enough, at least for a few months. After that you should have a decent strength base and be comfortable with the "Big 3" lifts. Eat cheeseburgers and drink lots of milk.

I would go SS for at least 2 resets, then 5x5 for at least 2 8 week cycles. After that, you can either stay on 5x5 if your still getting gains, or do something in the intermediate catagory like 5-3-1. Or move to a "bodybuilding split" if thats what you want to do. But routines that focus on compound lifts should be your focus in the beginning no matter what your end goals are.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
And eat, eat, eat. Then eat some more. Don't worry about it being too clean to start - newbie gains will have you growing like a weed if you stick to it and eat at least 200 kcal over maintenance!

niZmo

niZmo

Awards
Mass gainer helped me, was at 115 in October..I'm at a solid 140 now..

murk01

murk01

Awards
Check out Starting Strength, Madcows 5x5, WSSB, Stronglifts, ect.

For "newbies", I can't recomend Starting Strength enough, at least for a few months. After that you should have a decent strength base and be comfortable with the "Big 3" lifts. Eat cheeseburgers and drink lots of milk.

I would go SS for at least 2 resets, then 5x5 for at least 2 8 week cycles. After that, you can either stay on 5x5 if your still getting gains, or do something in the intermediate catagory like 5-3-1. Or move to a "bodybuilding split" if thats what you want to do. But routines that focus on compound lifts should be your focus in the beginning no matter what your end goals are.
5x5 will get ur straight threw the ruff. More volume, if u eat right, will get that size goin