Back & Shoulders. Opinions?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your opinions on working back and shoulders together the same day?

pasamoto

pasamoto

Banned
Awards
you can work anything you want on the same day(almost). i do back/chest/shouder on same day. makes a lot of sense to work front delts on chest day and rear delts on back day. could work lateral delts on either or both.

uvawahoowa

Awards
Your opinions on working back and shoulders together the same day?
Depends on the rest of your split, personally I won't train two large bodyparts together because working one will affect strength in the other. But if it works for you and your split I can see it being fine

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
eh I'm tryin to think of a new split. did chest/bis yesterday, just trying to figure out the rest of the week. lookin for something new

uvawahoowa

Awards
eh I'm tryin to think of a new split. did chest/bis yesterday, just trying to figure out the rest of the week. lookin for something new
If it were me I would do back/tris and shoulders/traps, or back/traps and shoulders/tris. I have a 7 day split though, so that may not work with someone who works bodyparts 2x/ wk

boogyman

Awards
I thinks its better to think of training splits as vertical push and pull, and horizontal push and pull rather than shoulders, back ect. Whether picking up a heavy object, pushing a car, or trying to shove another person across the room, whatever you may use strength for you end up using your body parts as a whole, not shoulders, chest arms ect.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Just be mindful that if you have a chest day, back day and shoulder day you'll be working the pectoral girdle (hard and heavy each day, I presume) 3x a week. Absolutely possible but it may not be ideal for you. Just monitor your shoulders bc overuse injury may set in a little faster.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^ good call. I hadn't thought of that. I was gonna do chest/bi, legs, shoulder/tri, off, back, off. I've just been off of a solid routine with work. I work 48 hours on and 48 hours off and I lift when I can at work.

uvawahoowa

Awards
Just be mindful that if you have a chest day, back day and shoulder day you'll be working the pectoral girdle (hard and heavy each day, I presume) 3x a week. Absolutely possible but it may not be ideal for you. Just monitor your shoulders bc overuse injury may set in a little faster.
This is a good point, in this split I would make sure to have 48 hrs in between each of those workouts to avoid overtraining. That's why it would be more optimal in a 7 day split rather than a 3-5 day split

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
haha you guys just wanna figure out the rest of the week for me? I've done everything from push pull to isolation to full body workouts. I'm bored and need ideas

uvawahoowa

Awards
haha you guys just wanna figure out the rest of the week for me? I've done everything from push pull to isolation to full body workouts. I'm bored and need ideas
Goals?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
same as everyone else. gain lean muscle. I'm fine with maintaining. I'm 5'9 and went from 160-200 so I'm not worried about trying to bulk up again yet.

uvawahoowa

Awards
same as everyone else. gain lean muscle. I'm fine with maintaining. I'm 5'9 and went from 160-200 so I'm not worried about trying to bulk up again yet.
Try back/tris and shoulders/traps...I have used that before and felt great. Just make sure you wither take an off day in between those or do legs

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I personally would never do back and shoulders. Doing any sort of vertical back work (like pullups or lat pulldowns) along with overhead pressing puts my shoulder out of the gym for at least a week.

diezel

Awards
  • Established
I've seen great results with training back with traps and rear delts.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
I've seen great results with training back with traps and rear delts.
Agreed. I do my rear delts and traps on back day because they're already engaged in so many of the lifts.