Workout partner or solo? What do you prefer? - AnabolicMinds.com

Workout partner or solo? What do you prefer?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Reputation Reputation

Workout partner or solo? What do you prefer?

Hey guys thought I would throw this up there and see what anyone thought.

So are you the partner that yells at your boy during his set telling him he's looking smaller as he reps out? His girl is going to get with you cause he cant get up 80lb db? He's a ***** cause he wouldnt push out 2 more reps. A slap on the back of the head? Giving him complete **** just to get him to push it to the max? One more rep! Dude if you can't hit it harder then that I'm going to find someone else to help me train?

Or are you the guy that plays with his phone while your boy pushes out 6 reps on his last set and could have gotten 2 more if you were spotting instead of bull ****ting? Talking to everyone you see instead of getting work done and lifting some heavy ass weight.

Solo? Jammin to metallic, Alice in chains, disturbed, **** everyone it's me and the weights? My alone battle with the weights when I load up more weight then I should and don't call for a spot....

Which are you?

Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

I good training partner who corrects form and calls out cues for the important lifts. When benching im not a spotter bc who needs spotters? We need benchers. Same goes for squating and pulling.
    Stats
    5'8"  162 lbs.

I never had a training partner, because I workout at home.
    Be sur to visit my site at http://maxweights.blogspot.com/ (copy and paste)
    •   

I got a ******* friend who always checks himself out on the mirror when he spots me and doesn't know that I'm starting to fail already._|_o0o

Quote Originally Posted by BigShadow View Post
    Solo? Jammin to metallic, Alice in chains, disturbed, **** everyone it's me and the weights?
    That is me
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

For max effort work, or when attempting PRs I always use a spotter/workout partner. It's just common sense, if something goes wrong I want as many safeguards between me and injury as possible.

For dynamic effort or higher rep hypertrophy, it matters less to me, but it still can be helpful to hear critiques on your sets.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve
    For max effort work, or when attempting PRs I always use a spotter/workout partner. It's just common sense, if something goes wrong I want as many safeguards between me and injury as possible.

For dynamic effort or higher rep hypertrophy, it matters less to me, but it still can be helpful to hear critiques on your sets.
    I agree!
    Stats
    5'8"  177 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

i workout solo because i workout at work right now . i would love to have a partner with the same intesity as me. i get in and get my s@#$ done. i cannot stand to stand around and conversate about politics or whatever. i went to the y one day to get a leg workout in and ran into two guys i went to high school with who were lifting . i said hello and continued with my training but they constantly wanted to carry on a conversation about where i work what was going on there etc.etc. I should have pulled a Dorian Yates and said" great but i 'm not here to f*** about i am training! ii do about 40 minutes full on and go home to my wife and kids.that is what i am about... its results! You want to talk to me we will go have a beer aftewards.
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post

This.

I can't exactly work a mono or liftoff in a shirt/hold boards by myself.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by chefbo
    i workout solo because i workout at work right now . i would love to have a partner with the same intesity as me. i get in and get my s@#$ done. i cannot stand to stand around and conversate about politics or whatever. i went to the y one day to get a leg workout in and ran into two guys i went to high school with who were lifting . i said hello and continued with my training but they constantly wanted to carry on a conversation about where i work what was going on there etc.etc. I should have pulled a Dorian Yates and said" great but i 'm not here to f*** about i am training! ii do about 40 minutes full on and go home to my wife and kids.that is what i am about... its results! You want to talk to me we will go have a beer aftewards.
    Well spoken and I agree! Get in, give 110% and get the hell out and go home and shovel some food!
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

I just pay attention i dont really try to hype anyone up
    Bench - 355
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 600
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

i do both. i have a home gym and work out at a strongman gym at least once a week. its nice in that i can do my own thing when i want at home and get pushed wicked hard by supportive people at the gym. best of both worlds.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

A little bit of everything. I like to start the workout with a nice "dont be a b1tch" and we just randomly say it to each other. During his sets I give cue and positive motivation. He is about to go to Korea though. So I am about to lose my workout partner. Probably the best workout partner I have had too. We have similar strength on most lifts.

So pretty soon I will be going solo. Hard to find solid consistent workout partners. Probably just have random spotters for max effort type stuff.
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

Solo,have my own gym and if i cant get it on my own then i shouldnt be doing it!Thats why i use my stops.Plus only my sweaty ass on everything and dont have to worry about letting one rip,sometimes i worry in case i puke!Got plenty of motovation,desire(or had/overtraining)but just nice to be focused not having to wait for the next piece of equipment ect...
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Always been a solo guy, mostly because friends who go to the gym generally focus on isolation work or show wavering dedication to training. That being said, a good, positive workout partner can do wonders for progress if you're both looking to the same goals.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig
    i do both. i have a home gym and work out at a strongman gym at least once a week. its nice in that i can do my own thing when i want at home and get pushed wicked hard by supportive people at the gym. best of both worlds.
    Nice
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Depends. A lot of time I convince people to go to the gym with me who don't really know what they're doing, so I have to spend time and attention on them. Lately I have a new gym partner where every day is a competition. It really does a number in pushing our workouts harder, faster, longer, etc etc

I've worked out alone and I do well for myself though too. Some days im super motivated by myself other days not so much. The days you're "not so much" are the days you need a partner to push you.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Killerkanadia
    Depends. A lot of time I convince people to go to the gym with me who don't really know what they're doing, so I have to spend time and attention on them. Lately I have a new gym partner where every day is a competition. It really does a number in pushing our workouts harder, faster, longer, etc etc

I've worked out alone and I do well for myself though too. Some days im super motivated by myself other days not so much. The days you're "not so much" are the days you need a partner to push you.
    Nice post
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

Always gone solo. I train DC, so the extremely short rest sets make it more convenient. The only problem is that every set goes to failure, meaning that for incline BB and shoulder press I need to use the Smythe machine. Still would much rather do that than work in with someone on a program that has me decreasing the intensity I feel I can only sustain solo.

Also, not a big metal fan lol. Believe it or not, I'm one of those weird guys that finds an incredible rush in most classical and romantic-era music, especially string quartets and symphonies while working out.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamTaylor View Post
    I push myself to limits everyday i train tbh, visited my mum yesterday and she said i looked a bit bigger, she doesnt know about the steroids

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by GreenEarth
    Always gone solo. I train DC, so the extremely short rest sets make it more convenient. The only problem is that every set goes to failure, meaning that for incline BB and shoulder press I need to use the Smythe machine. Still would much rather do that than work in with someone on a program that has me decreasing the intensity I feel I can only sustain solo.

Also, not a big metal fan lol. Believe it or not, I'm one of those weird guys that finds an incredible rush in most classical and romantic-era music, especially string quartets and symphonies while working out.
    Classic? Not sure if I could train heavy listening to classic music. But to each his own!
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

lol I have my bachelor's degree in music, I studied classical for 4 years. The problem is that you don't know which composers to go to when you're lifting heavy. Lots of Beethoven symphonies and quartets are incredible for lifting and motivation.
    I push myself to limits everyday i train tbh, visited my mum yesterday and she said i looked a bit bigger, she doesnt know about the steroids

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by GreenEarth
    lol I have my bachelor's degree in music, I studied classical for 4 years. The problem is that you don't know which composers to go to when you're lifting heavy. Lots of Beethoven symphonies and quartets are incredible for lifting and motivation.
    Might have to download some Beethoven and give it a whirl!
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

The Fifth Symphony is probably the most well-known when it comes to intensity. The entire piece is a battle between C Major and C Minor...great workout music Give that one a go first, if you like it I can recommend more.
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Hey guys thought I would throw this up there and see what anyone thought.

So are you the partner that yells at your boy during his set telling him he's looking smaller as he reps out? His girl is going to get with you cause he cant get up 80lb db? He's a ***** cause he wouldnt push out 2 more reps. A slap on the back of the head? Giving him complete **** just to get him to push it to the max? One more rep! Dude if you can't hit it harder then that I'm going to find someone else to help me train?

Or are you the guy that plays with his phone while your boy pushes out 6 reps on his last set and could have gotten 2 more if you were spotting instead of bull ****ting? Talking to everyone you see instead of getting work done and lifting some heavy ass weight.

Solo? Jammin to metallic, Alice in chains, disturbed, **** everyone it's me and the weights? My alone battle with the weights when I load up more weight then I should and don't call for a spot....

Which are you?
    I am the solo guy, jammin to trapt, pantera, rammstien, you know stuff like that haha you were on the right trail lol. but honestly i wish i had a partner. i have a mirrored room for my lifting so i can watch my form from all areas but someone there to help would be perfect i hate not being able to get the last rep and having to roll heavy weight down your stomach, which btw hurts like hell, not healthy lol. also someone standing over you pushing you is like no other, i run 10 miles every day well use to with my best friend and him pushing me made it seem alot easier then when i tried by myself, so overall i am the solo the lonewolf but would enjoy and be privileged to have a good partner. either way tho i will never give up will never get done will never stop and will achieve my goal, nothing will ever stop me!
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Id kill to have a good dedicated training partner. Im solo. Been that way since october. Not having a spotter to really push failure inhibits gains to an extent. I find my self doing less compounds and more isolation because, lets be honest, pushing bench weather it be 170lb bells or 365-400 with out a spot is down right dangerous. Getting that extra youve got another is motivation as well.
    I'm just a dude chasing a dream
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Might have to download some Beethoven and give it a whirl!
    I present you Two Steps from Hell:

M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

I workout solo (with headphones cranked up)most of the time other than those times I need a spot. I do occasionally do some tire flipping or heavy deads with a partner just to provide some competition.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I present you Two Steps from Hell:

Bad AAS **** bro!

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by superbeast668 View Post
    Id kill to have a good dedicated training partner. Im solo. Been that way since october. Not having a spotter to really push failure inhibits gains to an extent. I find my self doing less compounds and more isolation because, lets be honest, pushing bench weather it be 170lb bells or 365-400 with out a spot is down right dangerous. Getting that extra youve got another is motivation as well.
    I agree not saying ive ever unracked a 170lb db haha but I hear what your saying. And If you hurt yourself doing something stupid (which ive done) you never forget it!
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

I've been working out solo for the last year... I get my workout done a lot faster!

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by StackedCop
    I've been working out solo for the last year... I get my workout done a lot faster!
    I have a training partner but lately been solo. When he's around I love kicking his ass. I push him to the brink set after set. Haha he hates me most days!
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

I have a training partner but lately been solo. When he's around I love kicking his ass. I push him to the brink set after set. Haha he hates me most days!
    Haha ya I have egged my workout partner to the point I thought he might hit me. It is always when we do close grip chins. I push him to use more weight and to really go over the bar. Pisses him off so much haha. The thing is he can do more than me haha.
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

generally, alone. but my friend is pretty no bull****, so hes good.
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    Haha ya I have egged my workout partner to the point I thought he might hit me. It is always when we do close grip chins. I push him to use more weight and to really go over the bar. Pisses him off so much haha. The thing is he can do more than me haha.
    That 'egging on' actually really helps me. I'll say, "ok, I'm doing this for 5reps." She'll be like, "*****, do 6." So then I shoot for 7, just to rub her face in it.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    That 'egging on' actually really helps me. I'll say, "ok, I'm doing this for 5reps." She'll be like, "*****, do 6." So then I shoot for 7, just to rub her face in it.
    Haha ya that is why I do it because I know it helps. Sometimes he does seem to get really pissed though haha. Also we say "dont be a b1tch" sometimes haha. And just "rogaine" haha.

I like training by myself,but there are workouts where a spotter/motivator is nice have

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by diezel
    I like training by myself,but there are workouts where a spotter/motivator is nice have
    If your partner is a motivator it seems to really help me kick it to another gear.
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.

I prefer to work out by myself. I have not trained with a partner in over 10 years.
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

My buddy is on vacation so I worked out by myself today for the first time in a good while. Brought the Ipod along and rocked out. It felt good.
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.

i work out by myself right now. i like it because i can listen to my music and not talk to anyone. it keeps me focused. i would love a training partner if he is the type of person that is serious and wants to give 100 percent every time like i do. the people like that at my gym all have training partners already it seems. its like women lol most of the good ones are taken.

Similar Forum Threads

1. What do you prefer? Nolva or Clomid
    By MacTruck33 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 10:16 AM
  2. What do you prefer : Phera or Superdrol?
    By musclor5 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-15-2010, 05:24 PM
  3. Test E or Test C? what do you prefer?
    By boggs67ss in forum Old School Hormone Use
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 04:21 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 04:02 PM
  5. what do you prefer to combat estrogen?
    By blackjack in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 09:07 AM