Workout partner or solo? What do you prefer?

BigShadow

BigShadow

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys thought I would throw this up there and see what anyone thought.

So are you the partner that yells at your boy during his set telling him he's looking smaller as he reps out? His girl is going to get with you cause he cant get up 80lb db? He's a ***** cause he wouldnt push out 2 more reps. A slap on the back of the head? Giving him complete **** just to get him to push it to the max? One more rep! Dude if you can't hit it harder then that I'm going to find someone else to help me train?

Or are you the guy that plays with his phone while your boy pushes out 6 reps on his last set and could have gotten 2 more if you were spotting instead of bull ****ting? Talking to everyone you see instead of getting work done and lifting some heavy ass weight.

Solo? Jammin to metallic, Alice in chains, disturbed, **** everyone it's me and the weights? My alone battle with the weights when I load up more weight then I should and don't call for a spot....

Which are you?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I good training partner who corrects form and calls out cues for the important lifts. When benching im not a spotter bc who needs spotters? We need benchers. Same goes for squating and pulling.

GeovanniG

GeovanniG

Awards
I never had a training partner, because I workout at home.

johnathan1995

johnathan1995

Awards
I got a ******* friend who always checks himself out on the mirror when he spots me and doesn't know that I'm starting to fail already._|_o0o

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For max effort work, or when attempting PRs I always use a spotter/workout partner. It's just common sense, if something goes wrong I want as many safeguards between me and injury as possible.

For dynamic effort or higher rep hypertrophy, it matters less to me, but it still can be helpful to hear critiques on your sets.

BigShadow

BigShadow

Awards
  • Established
For max effort work, or when attempting PRs I always use a spotter/workout partner. It's just common sense, if something goes wrong I want as many safeguards between me and injury as possible.

For dynamic effort or higher rep hypertrophy, it matters less to me, but it still can be helpful to hear critiques on your sets.
I agree!

chefbo

chefbo

Awards
i workout solo because i workout at work right now . i would love to have a partner with the same intesity as me. i get in and get my s@#$ done. i cannot stand to stand around and conversate about politics or whatever. i went to the y one day to get a leg workout in and ran into two guys i went to high school with who were lifting . i said hello and continued with my training but they constantly wanted to carry on a conversation about where i work what was going on there etc.etc. I should have pulled a Dorian Yates and said" great but i 'm not here to f*** about i am training! ii do about 40 minutes full on and go home to my wife and kids.that is what i am about... its results! You want to talk to me we will go have a beer aftewards.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

This.

I can't exactly work a mono or liftoff in a shirt/hold boards by myself.

BigShadow

BigShadow

Awards
  • Established
i workout solo because i workout at work right now . i would love to have a partner with the same intesity as me. i get in and get my s@#$ done. i cannot stand to stand around and conversate about politics or whatever. i went to the y one day to get a leg workout in and ran into two guys i went to high school with who were lifting . i said hello and continued with my training but they constantly wanted to carry on a conversation about where i work what was going on there etc.etc. I should have pulled a Dorian Yates and said" great but i 'm not here to f*** about i am training! ii do about 40 minutes full on and go home to my wife and kids.that is what i am about... its results! You want to talk to me we will go have a beer aftewards.
Well spoken and I agree! Get in, give 110% and get the hell out and go home and shovel some food! ;)

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I just pay attention i dont really try to hype anyone up

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i do both. i have a home gym and work out at a strongman gym at least once a week. its nice in that i can do my own thing when i want at home and get pushed wicked hard by supportive people at the gym. best of both worlds.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A little bit of everything. I like to start the workout with a nice "dont be a b1tch" and we just randomly say it to each other. During his sets I give cue and positive motivation. He is about to go to Korea though. So I am about to lose my workout partner. Probably the best workout partner I have had too. We have similar strength on most lifts.

So pretty soon I will be going solo. Hard to find solid consistent workout partners. Probably just have random spotters for max effort type stuff.

67nova

Awards
Solo,have my own gym and if i cant get it on my own then i shouldnt be doing it!Thats why i use my stops.Plus only my sweaty ass on everything and dont have to worry about letting one rip,sometimes i worry in case i puke!Got plenty of motovation,desire(or had/overtraining)but just nice to be focused not having to wait for the next piece of equipment ect...

retrofitted

Awards
Always been a solo guy, mostly because friends who go to the gym generally focus on isolation work or show wavering dedication to training. That being said, a good, positive workout partner can do wonders for progress if you're both looking to the same goals.

BigShadow

BigShadow

Awards
  • Established
i do both. i have a home gym and work out at a strongman gym at least once a week. its nice in that i can do my own thing when i want at home and get pushed wicked hard by supportive people at the gym. best of both worlds.
Nice

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Depends. A lot of time I convince people to go to the gym with me who don't really know what they're doing, so I have to spend time and attention on them. Lately I have a new gym partner where every day is a competition. It really does a number in pushing our workouts harder, faster, longer, etc etc

I've worked out alone and I do well for myself though too. Some days im super motivated by myself other days not so much. The days you're "not so much" are the days you need a partner to push you.

BigShadow

BigShadow

Awards
  • Established
Depends. A lot of time I convince people to go to the gym with me who don't really know what they're doing, so I have to spend time and attention on them. Lately I have a new gym partner where every day is a competition. It really does a number in pushing our workouts harder, faster, longer, etc etc

I've worked out alone and I do well for myself though too. Some days im super motivated by myself other days not so much. The days you're "not so much" are the days you need a partner to push you.
Nice post

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Always gone solo. I train DC, so the extremely short rest sets make it more convenient. The only problem is that every set goes to failure, meaning that for incline BB and shoulder press I need to use the Smythe machine. Still would much rather do that than work in with someone on a program that has me decreasing the intensity I feel I can only sustain solo.

Also, not a big metal fan lol. Believe it or not, I'm one of those weird guys that finds an incredible rush in most classical and romantic-era music, especially string quartets and symphonies while working out.

BigShadow

BigShadow

Awards
  • Established
Always gone solo. I train DC, so the extremely short rest sets make it more convenient. The only problem is that every set goes to failure, meaning that for incline BB and shoulder press I need to use the Smythe machine. Still would much rather do that than work in with someone on a program that has me decreasing the intensity I feel I can only sustain solo.

Also, not a big metal fan lol. Believe it or not, I'm one of those weird guys that finds an incredible rush in most classical and romantic-era music, especially string quartets and symphonies while working out.
Classic? Not sure if I could train heavy listening to classic music. But to each his own!

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
lol I have my bachelor's degree in music, I studied classical for 4 years. The problem is that you don't know which composers to go to when you're lifting heavy. Lots of Beethoven symphonies and quartets are incredible for lifting and motivation.

BigShadow

BigShadow

Awards
  • Established
lol I have my bachelor's degree in music, I studied classical for 4 years. The problem is that you don't know which composers to go to when you're lifting heavy. Lots of Beethoven symphonies and quartets are incredible for lifting and motivation.
Might have to download some Beethoven and give it a whirl!

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
The Fifth Symphony is probably the most well-known when it comes to intensity. The entire piece is a battle between C Major and C Minor...great workout music :) Give that one a go first, if you like it I can recommend more.

wick3dtrick

wick3dtrick

Awards
Hey guys thought I would throw this up there and see what anyone thought.

So are you the partner that yells at your boy during his set telling him he's looking smaller as he reps out? His girl is going to get with you cause he cant get up 80lb db? He's a ***** cause he wouldnt push out 2 more reps. A slap on the back of the head? Giving him complete **** just to get him to push it to the max? One more rep! Dude if you can't hit it harder then that I'm going to find someone else to help me train?

Or are you the guy that plays with his phone while your boy pushes out 6 reps on his last set and could have gotten 2 more if you were spotting instead of bull ****ting? Talking to everyone you see instead of getting work done and lifting some heavy ass weight.

Solo? Jammin to metallic, Alice in chains, disturbed, **** everyone it's me and the weights? My alone battle with the weights when I load up more weight then I should and don't call for a spot....

Which are you?
I am the solo guy, jammin to trapt, pantera, rammstien, you know stuff like that haha you were on the right trail lol. but honestly i wish i had a partner. i have a mirrored room for my lifting so i can watch my form from all areas but someone there to help would be perfect i hate not being able to get the last rep and having to roll heavy weight down your stomach, which btw hurts like hell, not healthy lol. also someone standing over you pushing you is like no other, i run 10 miles every day well use to with my best friend and him pushing me made it seem alot easier then when i tried by myself, so overall i am the solo the lonewolf but would enjoy and be privileged to have a good partner. either way tho i will never give up will never get done will never stop and will achieve my goal, nothing will ever stop me! ;)

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Id kill to have a good dedicated training partner. Im solo. Been that way since october. Not having a spotter to really push failure inhibits gains to an extent. I find my self doing less compounds and more isolation because, lets be honest, pushing bench weather it be 170lb bells or 365-400 with out a spot is down right dangerous. Getting that extra youve got another is motivation as well.

sharperunner

Awards
I workout solo (with headphones cranked up)most of the time other than those times I need a spot. I do occasionally do some tire flipping or heavy deads with a partner just to provide some competition.

BigShadow

BigShadow

Awards
  • Established
Id kill to have a good dedicated training partner. Im solo. Been that way since october. Not having a spotter to really push failure inhibits gains to an extent. I find my self doing less compounds and more isolation because, lets be honest, pushing bench weather it be 170lb bells or 365-400 with out a spot is down right dangerous. Getting that extra youve got another is motivation as well.
I agree not saying ive ever unracked a 170lb db haha but I hear what your saying. And If you hurt yourself doing something stupid (which ive done) you never forget it!

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been working out solo for the last year... I get my workout done a lot faster!

BigShadow

BigShadow

Awards
  • Established
I've been working out solo for the last year... I get my workout done a lot faster!
I have a training partner but lately been solo. When he's around I love kicking his ass. I push him to the brink set after set. Haha he hates me most days!

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a training partner but lately been solo. When he's around I love kicking his ass. I push him to the brink set after set. Haha he hates me most days!
Haha ya I have egged my workout partner to the point I thought he might hit me. It is always when we do close grip chins. I push him to use more weight and to really go over the bar. Pisses him off so much haha. The thing is he can do more than me haha.

TheMaharaja

Awards
generally, alone. but my friend is pretty no bull****, so hes good.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha ya I have egged my workout partner to the point I thought he might hit me. It is always when we do close grip chins. I push him to use more weight and to really go over the bar. Pisses him off so much haha. The thing is he can do more than me haha.
That 'egging on' actually really helps me. I'll say, "ok, I'm doing this for 5reps." She'll be like, "*****, do 6." So then I shoot for 7, just to rub her face in it.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That 'egging on' actually really helps me. I'll say, "ok, I'm doing this for 5reps." She'll be like, "*****, do 6." So then I shoot for 7, just to rub her face in it.
Haha ya that is why I do it because I know it helps. Sometimes he does seem to get really pissed though haha. Also we say "dont be a b1tch" sometimes haha. And just "rogaine" haha.

diezel

Awards
  • Established
I like training by myself,but there are workouts where a spotter/motivator is nice have

BigShadow

BigShadow

Awards
  • Established
I like training by myself,but there are workouts where a spotter/motivator is nice have
If your partner is a motivator it seems to really help me kick it to another gear.

boogyman

Awards
I prefer to work out by myself. I have not trained with a partner in over 10 years.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
My buddy is on vacation so I worked out by myself today for the first time in a good while. Brought the Ipod along and rocked out. It felt good.

iliketosquat

Awards
i work out by myself right now. i like it because i can listen to my music and not talk to anyone. it keeps me focused. i would love a training partner if he is the type of person that is serious and wants to give 100 percent every time like i do. the people like that at my gym all have training partners already it seems. its like women lol most of the good ones are taken.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have had bad experience with partners so i train solo

wick3dtrick

wick3dtrick

Awards
Bummer! This is why you don't train with your girlfriend! Haha jk
Ha that's funny you wrote that, lifted with the wife this morning and she only made it thru half my bicep workout lol. She did good tho for being 5 foot 100 lbs she was curling 65 lbs barbell yea buddy!

BigShadow

BigShadow

Awards
  • Established
Ha that's funny you wrote that, lifted with the wife this morning and she only made it thru half my bicep workout lol. She did good tho for being 5 foot 100 lbs she was curling 65 lbs barbell yea buddy!
65lb? Nice bro!

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Way to get your wife in there with you! Training together can be an awesome experience as a couple. :thumbsup:

wick3dtrick

wick3dtrick

Awards
Way to get your wife in there with you! Training together can be an awesome experience as a couple. :thumbsup:
thanks man, and yea i had posted a thread before about how its always a battle for me and my lifting and my wife, and my awesome AM family gave me some advice for making it all work, so now me and my wife lift together, and yea its a great experience, came from some great advice, thanks guys, haha workout take twice as long but thats because im teaching her form and trying to have fun together. its also great motivation with your wife there because then you have to do twice as good as if your alone lol.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
i am going solo for the first time ever today

Senka

Senka

Awards
I love having friends in the area I can call over for a quick suggestion or spot, but 90% of the time a workout partner (that you alternate sets consistently with for the entire session) isn't going to help you (an already experienced lifter).

Beefy Jew

Awards
I always lift alone, a partner is good for a spot but that's about it. When your not actually lifting the only thing having a partner with you is going to do is distract you, get you out of your focus. Wnen you lift alone you know its just you and the weight and you need to get it done by yourself with your own power.