Any Advice? - AnabolicMinds.com

Any Advice?

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Answers

Any Advice?

So i'm gonna be cutting for the next 6-8 weeks. My goal is to lose about 3% bodyfat by august 10 (about a month). If I could get some feedback on this workout, that would be great! I've been working out for over 3 years now and just worked on getting strength for track (shot and discus). I heard different things (keeping it between 6-8 reps) to keep muscle while cutting and I've heard higher reps for the hypertrophy.

M-F I start with 3 ab movements for 20-25 reps for 4 sets or I do 8 minute abs
    For calves, I Usually do one seated and two standing
    Increase Weight as I do less reps (Unless otherwise stated)

I usually do cardio everyday, after I finish my workout, for 10-20 minutes. It depends how I feel (tired, sickness, w/e). I try to run a mile as fast as i can (usually takes about 8-9 minutes) then walk the rest. Im 20 yrs old, ranging 200-205 in weight.

Monday:
    Incline Bench 20, 16, 12, 10 reps
    Flat Bench 20, 16, 12, 10 reps
    Machine (Pec Deck) Flies/Cable (whatevers available) 20, 16, 12, 10 reps
    Bench Push up (4 sets AMAP)

Tues:
    Quad extension 25, 20, 15, 10 (same weight)
    Hack Squat 20, 16, 12, 10
    Leg Press 20, 16, 12, 10
    Walking Lunges 16, 12, 10 reps (same weight, but should be "heavy")
    3 Calf Movements (4 sets 25 reps at same weight)

Wed:
    Cable Curl ss Tri Push Down. 20, 16, 12, 10 per exercise
    Preacher Curl ss Tri Underhand push down. 20, 16, 12, 10 per exercise
    DB curl ss Overhead DB Tri Extension 20, 16, 12, 10 per exercise

Thurs:
    DB lat raise. 20,16,12,10
    Seated Shoulder Press. 20,16,12,10
    DB Front Raise. 20,16,12,10
    Rear Delt Fly. 20,16,12,10

Friday:
    Seated Hamstring Curl. 20,16,12,10
    Lying Hamstring Curl. 20,16,12,10
    Single Leg, Standing Ham Curl. 20,16,12,10
    3 Calf Movements (4 sets 25 reps same weight)

Saturday:
    3 Calf Movements (4 sets 25 reps same weight)
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 20, 16,12,10
    Seated Close Grip Row 20,16,12,10
    Machine Row 20,16,12,10

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Answers

Low reps is better on a cut IMO. And thats seems like a lot of volume to me.

No deadlifts? Also, you could lose 3/4 of those leg movements and just do freeweight squats.

3. Advanced Member
    Answers

^^^ I agree. High reps will help you to burn more calories during the workout, but using low reps revs up your metabolism and will help you burn more cals throughout the day.

•   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
    Low reps is better on a cut IMO. And thats seems like a lot of volume to me.

No deadlifts? Also, you could lose 3/4 of those leg movements and just do freeweight squats.
    I usually do squats instead of hack squats on tuesdays (forgot to put it :P) I did deadlifts from janunary till mayish? and decided to take a little break from them.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW2 View Post
    ^^^ I agree. High reps will help you to burn more calories during the workout, but using low reps revs up your metabolism and will help you burn more cals throughout the day.
    Ah okay thanks!

Would you say this workout is fine, as long as I cut down the reps?

5. Advanced Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by snv90 View Post
    I did deadlifts from janunary till mayish? and decided to take a little break from them.
    If you dont mind me asking, why did you decide to drop the deadlifts? That really is a great movement, I would rank it 2nd only to parallel squats.

Would you say this workout is fine, as long as I cut down the reps?
    Honestly (and no offense) I dont really like it, but thats just me. I like to use tried and true programs like 5/3/1, Starrs 5x5, etc.

I cant link yet, but here is a great thread with lots of good programs (just remove the spaces in http): h t t p://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/189614-lots-programs.html

6. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Answers

If you dont mind me asking, why did you decide to drop the deadlifts? That really is a great movement, I would rank it 2nd only to parallel squats.

Honestly (and no offense) I dont really like it, but thats just me. I like to use tried and true programs like 5/3/1, Starrs 5x5, etc.
    the constant pulling on my wrists really killed me. I could always do more weight than I could hold onto to so I invested in some straps, it helped but it hurt my wrists so im takin a break from them.

None taken, thanks for the advice!

7. Advanced Member
    Answers

the constant pulling on my wrists really killed me. I could always do more weight than I could hold onto to so I invested in some straps, it helped but it hurt my wrists so im takin a break from them.
    I would add the deadlifts back into your routine and drop the weight so that you are able to perform the movement without straps, the grip strength will come and as it does slowly increase the weights your pulling.

The benefit to your spinal erectors (when the movement is performed correctly) is too great to skip out on.

8. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Answers

I would add the deadlifts back into your routine and drop the weight so that you are able to perform the movement without straps, the grip strength will come and as it does slowly increase the weights your pulling.

The benefit to your spinal erectors (when the movement is performed correctly) is too great to skip out on.
    Ah okay, should I put them in tuesday (I would take out the lunges) or friday (Take out seated leg curl as my new gym doesnt have a machine for it) or should I keep everything the same and just throw it in there? how does the rest of my workout look?

9. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  180 lbs.
    Answers

lengthen the time it takes to complete a set. Instead of picking up the weight and busting out the set focus on form a bit and go slower with each rep. If normally you take 30 seconds to complete a set, do it in 45 seconds instead. Then cut down the time to rest between sets.

you will be more spent, dripping with sweat, and sore and tired. but you will have burned more calories and better chance at keeping the muscle with this new stimulus.

10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Answers

Ah okay, should I put them in tuesday (I would take out the lunges) or friday (Take out seated leg curl as my new gym doesnt have a machine for it) or should I keep everything the same and just throw it in there? how does the rest of my workout look?
    I think you should just do a tried and true program like SLW2 says. Even lowering your reps, you have way to much volume for a cut, especially doing cardio on top of it. Your strength probably is not going to increase at all doing all those sets and cardio without having surplus calories. Who wants to go to the gym every day, and week in and week out lift the same weights? Going hard, heavy with compound movements 3 or 4 days a week at the most seems to be the formula thats works for most people.

11. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Answers

Okay, thanks for all the help guys!

12. Advanced Member
    Answers

Go through that link I gave you in post #5 and once you find a routine you think you would enjoy and that is geared toward your goals, give it a try.

Best of luck man!

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 11:26 PM
  2. Clen any advice?
    By psu 1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 11:03 AM
  3. My diet plan...first time so any advice is welcomed.
    By tommy36p in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 02:42 AM
  4. First cycle, any advice?
    By max0d in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 02:11 PM
  5. First cycle.....any advice?
    By BBC in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-06-2003, 07:51 AM