what am i doing wrong?

wick3dtrick

wick3dtrick

Awards
Sorry for asking, but I have been lifting again for the past 9 months. I use to lift a lot back in high school then I stopped and a year went by and my passion for my lifting and training hard came back. Like I said been lifting for 9 months now and my chest will not get bigger no matter what.my arms have grown and amazing 3 and a half inches and I've had huge gains everywhere else. But my chest is making everything else look bad. What can I do. I currently am doing flat bench (regular grip, wide grip, and close grip) incline dumbell press, dumbell flys, and decline bench. 3 sets of 8. Honestly my chest has got tighter and my bench maxs have gone up but I'm looking to add mass.

Any help or advice you have to give it is highly appriciated. I fear ill have this upsetting chest forever...

wick3dtrick

wick3dtrick

Awards
I know its frustrating man. What do your reps/sets look like? I am one of those people who strays away from any barbell exercises for chest because the range of motion is limited compared to dumbbells and cables and barbell bench can be very taxing on the shoulder joints. If your goals are more bodybuilding oriented i would keep reps in the range of 8-12. That is where i have seen my results. If you are powerlifing, heavy weights below that to failure are good.
I would focus on incline dumbbells and flys, plyometric style pushups. If you have a bosu ball at your gym, plyometric pushups on that will destroy your chest. Stabilizers come in to play with these. Also, im sure you know this but you should be performing each rep slow and controlled. On your negatives, you should be coming down slowly, almost to where you are resisting the weight. On the positives, explode up and squeeze your pecs for a second or two. I have noticed a lot of people in the gym blasting out reps and there form is terrible. You will see no results doing this and you will only hurt yourself. Also, if you are not switching your workouts every 2 weeks, your muscles will adapt to exercises and you will plateau. I am anal about changing up my routine bi weekly so that i maintain soreness after each workout. I personally believe that if youre not sore after a workout you did not tear the muscle fibers enough.
Secondly, what is your diet like? Do you take protein shakes? Creatine to help break thru a plateau?

Hope i helped a bit
Aecondly, what
So do you think I should do flat incline and decline with dumbell weights and also flys. Add in plyometric pushups.

I eat a lot of chicken, tuna, oats, fruit, and vegi's

My suppliments
wake up and take hghup (3 tablets) and formadrol extreme (2 tablets) then before I workout I use amplified NO loaded ( 1 scoop). And I use postal ( 1 scoop) as my post workout. Throughout the day I use syntha-6 (1 scoop at morning,PW, and before bed) then before I go to sleep I take hghup (2 tablets) and formadrol extreme (1 tablet). All together I consume around 200 to 230 grams of protien a day.

I currently don't use creatine because of bloating. Should I use creatine?

Last I don't change my workout I figured from so many exersizes I do I wouldn't need to. You think changing it up might help?

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
You could just change the order of excersizes you do. week one; flat, incline, decline, flys, pushups. week two incline, decline, flys, push ups, flat. etc. also try a heavy week 3-5 reps then a volume week 8-12 reps. I love creatine people talk about the "bloat" but it usually people who take way to much of it. Only 3-5 grams daily is needed get some creatine mono creapure. How many calorie are you getting daily? obviously your not going to grow if you dont eat enough.

wick3dtrick

wick3dtrick

Awards
You could just change the order of excersizes you do. week one; flat, incline, decline, flys, pushups. week two incline, decline, flys, push ups, flat. etc. also try a heavy week 3-5 reps then a volume week 8-12 reps. I love creatine people talk about the "bloat" but it usually people who take way to much of it. Only 3-5 grams daily is needed get some creatine mono creapure. How many calorie are you getting daily? obviously your not going to grow if you dont eat enough.
Ok yea I will definantly give that a shot. With the creatine on my next order I make ill get some creapure. I'm getting roughly 3000 calories a day and about 350 carbs ontop of my 200 g of protien. I work in a resturuant so my upside is I eat a lot of chicken and tuna/other fish.

wick3dtrick

wick3dtrick

Awards
I think you should throw flat dumbbell presses to theside. You dont need those. Incline provide a much more difficult angle. I also think you should focus more on standing cable chest presses. Use the d handles. Do sets with the cables at shoulder level, low level with an upward press for upper muscle fibers and higher cable setting and press down for lower fiber focus. Make sure to keep your chest out and shoulder back for good form. Standing cable presses are much more practical and much more functional. They allow your chest to move more naturally and hits both pec major and minor.
Your diet looks good. I have steered away from whey protein because its simply not good for your body and is not natural. Its also a rip off because your body absorbs very little of your protein shake. Majority goes to waste. If i were you id switch to egg protein. Complete protein and has the highest NNU of any protein or food (means the utilization of the protein based on nitrogen production). Creatine will help you break through plateaus by supplying your muscles with ready to use glycogen, which is what your muscles first use for energy. I have seen y best results from Creature creatine by Beast. No bloating, low water retention, and 5 of the top creatines blended together.
That's my only down fall is I do not have any cable machines. If I did that would be fantastic and that's also why I was hoping changing my routine would be able to work for helping with mass. And egg protien? Ill look for some on my next order and see if I can find some.

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
That's my only down fall is I do not have any cable machines. If I did that would be fantastic and that's also why I was hoping changing my routine would be able to work for helping with mass. And egg protien? Ill look for some on my next order and see if I can find some.
You dont need any cable machines bro. And you only need to supplement with protein if your not getting enough from food. Eggs are better then egg supplements too.

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
Ok yea I will definantly give that a shot. With the creatine on my next order I make ill get some creapure. I'm getting roughly 3000 calories a day and about 350 carbs ontop of my 200 g of protien. I work in a resturuant so my upside is I eat a lot of chicken and tuna/other fish.
ya try out the creapure. its cheap and you can buy bulk.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I think you should throw flat dumbbell presses to theside. You dont need those. Incline provide a much more difficult angle. I also think you should focus more on standing cable chest presses. Use the d handles. Do sets with the cables at shoulder level, low level with an upward press for upper muscle fibers and higher cable setting and press down for lower fiber focus. Make sure to keep your chest out and shoulder back for good form. Standing cable presses are much more practical and much more functional. They allow your chest to move more naturally and hits both pec major and minor.
Your diet looks good. I have steered away from whey protein because its simply not good for your body and is not natural. Its also a rip off because your body absorbs very little of your protein shake. Majority goes to waste. If i were you id switch to egg protein. Complete protein and has the highest NNU of any protein or food (means the utilization of the protein based on nitrogen production). Creatine will help you break through plateaus by supplying your muscles with ready to use glycogen, which is what your muscles first use for energy. I have seen y best results from Creature creatine by Beast. No bloating, low water retention, and 5 of the top creatines blended together.
ehhhhhhhh....

niZmo

niZmo

Awards
I started to do supermans..wait 15 seconds and do a working set on incline press..weighted dips help GREATLY if I'm not mistaken..have you looked into kre-alk? I read in a few places it's better than creatine monohydrate.

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
Whey protein in 100% proven not good for the body. Protein quality is based on amino acid profile AND NNU. Stands for net nitrogen utilization. Whey protein has an NNU of 16%. Egg protein is very well know as the highest of NNUs anong food. Protein and whole food. The only supplement proven to have 99% NNU is MAP (Master Amino Acid Pattern). Many lifters have noticably thick wastes. This is due to GI toxification due to whey protein intake. Whey protein is acid forming. Our bodies prefer alkalinity, which we get from veggie and most natural substances. Whey is a biproduct of cheese. It is a result of a chemical process. It is also well known that any non natural substance is not healthy for the body. Unfortunately, you only know whey and are naive and ill-informed. Nutrition and bodybuilding are what i do. Do some research and experience
Please post studies proving this.

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
I dont have any studies fron the web that i can pull for you. Search it. Its heavily researched. Ive had multiple trainers educate me on this. But. Do what you want. Not forcing you to switch. But i know whats worth taking and whats not
And sorry but if you dont know that alkalinity in our bodies is key than you know nothing about nutrition
not even gonna waste my time with a serious response to this. good day sir

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Whey is not natural? Ever heard of Milk? Whey is a natural compound in most milk based products.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Theres nothing wrong with Whey protein. Its just another protein

Danimozz

Danimozz

Awards
Had the same problem about 2-3 months ago. Everything else was getting bigger but chest looked flat. My dad bought me a dip station and have seen huge chest size improvement

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Oh and let me ask you a question...why would eggs then be considered the best food to consume in regards to complete protein. I rest my case. You guys need to do some research
Ever heard of spamming a forum? Edit your posts if you have anything more to add.

And I know nothing? It seems as though you have done very little research on whey protein. It is in fact VERY fast digesting.

And I quote
"Protein And Digestion
Although meat is a quality protein source, compared with whey protein powder, it takes longer to digest -- and there are health concerns associated with eating meat frequently. Rather than the quick intake of a liquid whey protein shake, digesting meat protein begins with the process of chewing. Thorough chewing helps to break down meat fibers and mix the meat with saliva to begin the digestive process. Eating meat requires energy to digest, and can even raise the metabolism slightly due to the amount of energy required to break down the meat. Whey is the most bioavailable protein -- it's a more efficient protein source than lesser proteins such as beans.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/554773-is-whey-protein-powder-easier-to-digest-than-meat/#ixzz20BoTJixI"

And furthermore;
http://mens-total-fitness.com/whey-protein-isolate.html
http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/280/2/E340.short
http://journals.lww.com/co-clinicalnutrition/Abstract/2008/01000/Effect_of_whey_protein_isolate_on_strength,_body.9.aspx

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
You should stop being so condescending bc you've made numerous incorrect statements in this thread alone. Creatine does not operate by increasing glycogen stores, for one, and secondly, d.o.m.s. is not caused by lactic acid nor is it, at all, an indication of a good workout. Sore doesn't necessarily equal hypertrophy

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Again, i am going to say that youre incorrect. As always, i will listen and hold true the numerous statement made to my by personal trainers with 7+ years under their belts and physicians. A lifting magazine will not provide you with reliable magazine and the internet with .com addresses are not reliable. YOU are incorrect. I can see a lot of people who think their personal experience and magazine articles are the bible
You have been awarded the idiot poster of the year. You're going to make some claims with ZERO evidence and then call everyone misinformed? Please, post something from PubMed that sides with your position that whey is not natural and will strain your liver/kidneys?

B

bpclipper10

Awards
  • Established
You have been awarded the idiot poster of the year. You're going to make some claims with ZERO evidence and then call everyone misinformed? Please, post something from PubMed that sides with your position that whey is not natural and will strain your liver/kidneys?
^This^...your trainers are grossly undereducated. Rodja pinned you perfectly. wish guys like this would stop trolling this forum with their outlandish and unproven claims.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
? I am not doing your research. The articles posted were .coms from websites where anyone can post. Go in the environment in find whey protein naturally. Doesnt occur. It is a biproduct of processes. Get that through your heads. Wonder why man bodybuilders who use whey protein have thick wastes? Its call GI toxification. You guys are like those kids who claim amino acids dont work yet they are the building blocks of protein. Kids on this forum are retarded. Im jot cornered. Im not a fruitcake like you boys who post on here asking for help on your routines. Unlike you scrubs i actually see result and at a great price because i dont drop a ton of money on whey which is cheaply PROCESSED and poorly digested. Again for those of you who think whey is better digested than egg protein you might as well just quit lifting because you know nothing about nutrition
Again, quit making a claim without some evidence and if you think that it's whey protein that is causing large intestinal tracts, then you're more retarded than I thought. The "blocky" waists of today are caused by a combination of massive food intake, androgens (which cause an accumulation of VAT), and insulin. Again, I implore you to pull something from PubMed that suggests what you're claiming in a healthy population. BTW, have you ever heard of burden of proof? You are the one that is making a claim and, therefore, need to provide evidence to support your position.

sidoious

sidoious

Banned
Awards
  • Established
"that which can be asserted without evidence can also be denied without evidence."

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey guys I saw big foot!!!! Dude came in and drank a shake with me....pics? You ask? Naw I dont need proof just take my word for it....poor guy had a big waist to...must be all that damn whey lolol

E

evodrag

Awards
Back to the original question about building chest. 1st nutrition is obviously optimal if he's put 3.5 inches on his arms. 2 things here...genetics play a big role here unfortunetly. secondly, try the cable crosses concentrating on the squeeze at the end of the rep. Dont go too heavy just squeeze. Bench primarily works your front delts, period....whether its DB's or BB's. I dont know your split but Ill suggest trying to hit chest twice a week for a couple weeks. GL!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wait a minute. Arent you the "exercise physiologist" who got told off by a t-nation article in regards to core exercises? That is the same article that labeled people like you claiming full flexion of the spine as safe and better as inexperienced and mindless. So in that regard, ill ignore what you have to say. And in regards to what you just said relating to PubMed, ill conserve my time by using it on something more important in my life. I know what is healthy and what is harmful to the body. Go do your research and find Medical Publications that say that whey is easily digestible, more digestable than egg protein or other plant proteins( along with their added health benefits) and then we can talk. For you to say whey is better than a natural plant protein or egg protein from a whole animal is preposterous.
You obviously don't know who Mike Robertson is, do you? Also, how exactly did I get "told off" by that article? At no point did I say that crunches on the floor and/or FULL spinal flexion were a good idea as they have little bearing to increasing core strength since they are ground based and you're not supporting your weight. This was just the first example of you making claims without anything backing you up.

Now, back to the topic at hand: I've done my research on protein digestibility, BV, AA scores, etc., but it is very evident that you have not done the same. You're making an outlandish claim with ZERO scientific support and then scurry around when asked for evidence.

Let me drop some more knowledge bombs on you:
PMID: 21092368
PMID: 20368372
http://ww.jssm.org/vol3/n3/2/v3n3-2pdf.pdf

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
Boyness..............Sources?

B

bpclipper10

Awards
  • Established
Undereducated, naive, ignorant, close minded claims your attempting to throw at us without any scientific backing. The immature nature of your regard for other senior members and their training styles and utter disrespect and disregard for their input is humorous. Having a battle on a forum that has become way to personal is just ridiculous. Calling other amateurs and critiquing their training and body composition without showing us any evidence of your physique or training success is just hypocritical. Learn some respect and maybe you'll get some help and learn something here, which is what were all here trying to do. Clean it up.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You obviously don't know who Mike Robertson is, do you? Also, how exactly did I get "told off" by that article? At no point did I say that crunches on the floor and/or FULL spinal flexion were a good idea as they have little bearing to increasing core strength since they are ground based and you're not supporting your weight. This was just the first example of you making claims without anything backing you up.

Now, back to the topic at hand: I've done my research on protein digestibility, BV, AA scores, etc., but it is very evident that you have not done the same. You're making an outlandish claim with ZERO scientific support and then scurry around when asked for evidence.

Oh im not scurrying. I just dont feel like listening to you. Have you heard of NNU? Why dont you go find the NNU of whey protein then report to me.
That's a joke, right? NNU is a marketing ploy that is pure crap. NPU and PDCAA are actually shown to have some efficacy unlike NNU, which is only pushed by snake oil salesman.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Oh im not scurrying. I just dont feel like listening to you. Have you heard of NNU? Why dont you go find the NNU of whey protein then report to me.
Post ONE LINK supporting your claims. All you've done is run your trap, call out long-time respected posters, yet provided nothing substantial in the way of evidence.

Put your money where your mouth is.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
All you are doing is just saying words until you post some sources to corroborate what you are saying. If what you are saying is true, this is information that all of us at AM would like to know.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ehh its not really a marketing ploy. They teach you that one at exercise school rookie?
Keep running your mouth and showing how ignorant you are, kid. I've posted peer-reviewed sources disproving your position. Have you done the same?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have not because I have a job that requires me to do more than argue with a low life, inexperienced exercise physiologist who knows nothing about actual health and nutrition. Im here to help people, not steer people away from healthy choices. Ill run my mouth all day, but sorry im not a kid. Hate to break that to you. Among other things. Good day. You must be hard at work? Haha
Really? You have 7 posts in this thread today compared to, now, 6 from me, kid. How exactly have you helped anyone by pounding your moronic rhetoric with zero scientific evidence?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have not because I have a job that requires me to do more than argue with a low life, inexperienced exercise physiologist who knows nothing about actual health and nutrition. Im here to help people, not steer people away from healthy choices. Ill run my mouth all day, but sorry im not a kid. Hate to break that to you. Among other things. Good day. You must be hard at work? Haha
So you're too busy to perform a 30 second search to support your claim, yet you can continue to post?

Permaban, aisle 5.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
popcorn.jpg

sidoious

sidoious

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Enjoy your negs. I'll enjoy my whey protein.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Nice to see you, where ya been?
What's up dude, been around, not posting much. I'm just watching Rodja dismantle this moron

To totally derail this thread:

MY NEW PROWLER CAME TODAY!!'

WOOOO HOOOO!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's up dude, been around, not posting much. I'm just watching Rodja dismantle this moron

To totally derail this thread:

MY NEW PROWLER CAME TODAY!!'

WOOOO HOOOO!
I'm trying to get wife to buy me one for my birthday.

So. Much. Want. I'm jealous.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Youre a scrub. Have fun not making gains and wasting your money
Reported as spam.

Edit: did you really say "scrub"? Sick burn with the TLC lyric. That's gonna leave a mark.

sidoious

sidoious

Banned
Awards
  • Established
napalm

napalm

Awards
Youre a scrub. Have fun not making gains and wasting your money
Is that the best you got there homie?

Sorry bro, nothing from someone called theboyness says is gonna bother me

Lemme guess. Justin Bieber fan?

sidoious

sidoious

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I remember my first beer.

Thread recap;

New guy blows up thread with baseless claims
New guy gets called out, confronted with evidence
New guy continues to post ridiculous information, calls out OTHER posters, still no evidence
New guy gets piled on by other posters to post info or GTFO
New guy says he doesn't have time, cue personal attacks

I foresee it going even further down the wormhole of troll BS.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We don't want no scrubs.

sidoious

sidoious

Banned
Awards
  • Established
A scrub is a guy who can't get no reps from me

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Posting from the passenger side of his best friend's ride, trying to argue with me.

And Rodja. But the "me" lyric fit so I ran with it.

Did this thread just get shorter?

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
Sitting on the protein shake of the OP's thread, trying to suck on Rod's D.