Any truth to the articles I have read???

FloridaRoofer

Awards
According to many online articles I come across, you should only train any one muscle group once a week. Could there any truth to this? I know you wouldn't wat to train one muscle group two days in a row but can you really maximize your results by only hitting a muscle group once a week? I seem to get decent results by training the way i do...
Monday- pecs/triceps (heavy wieght, lower reps)
Tuesday-shoulders/biceps
Wednesday-off
Thursday-pecs/triceps (light wieght, higher reps)
Friday- back/shoulders
Now this routine doesn't include legs because i am a roofer and carry heavy materials up a ladder every day. So, could i be getting even better results if i restructured my routine? Could i be over training? Keep in mind i'm not trying to get huge, i just want to be a strong 150lb man that is really toned/cut.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
if it works stick with it, articles are guidelines and opinions, obviously recovery plays a big role as well

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
yes and no. advanced bodybuilders that require massive volume per body part, once a week is great for them. the other 99.999999% of the worlds population can make progress that way and with 3 or more times a week. it all depends on other variables like intensity and volume. those plus frequency are all interrelated. change one you have to change the other or you will get sub optimal results.

GeovanniG

GeovanniG

Awards
yes and no. advanced bodybuilders that require massive volume per body part, once a week is great for them. the other 99.999999% of the worlds population can make progress that way and with 3 or more times a week. it all depends on other variables like intensity and volume. those plus frequency are all interrelated. change one you have to change the other or you will get sub optimal results.
agree. But age also plays a big part in all this. Th older you are, the slower you recover, the less you train the body part.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
0 "truth" to them and do legs. Lifting some stuff on a ladder is just rationalizing to yourself not to do legs.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
agree. But age also plays a big part in all this. Th older you are, the slower you recover, the less you train the body part.
I take exception to this, I'm 46 and I do full body workouts 3 times a week.
Everyone is different.
Peace

boogyman

Awards
I also agree. My brother is a roofer, and I recently got him to start doing legs. His upperbody gains are coming much faster now, he had been pretty much stalled for a while on most gains.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
Powerlifters train everything 2x/week. They're not exactly small.

Jameson653

Jameson653

Awards
I did a 5 day routine similar to that. Strength upper/lower on weekends and hypertropy chest and delts/back/legs during the week with arms incorporate in. My body struggled at times to keep up, I borderline overtrained i think but I had great results. Now I am once a week but I will go back to 2x a week in a month or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Now this routine doesn't include legs because i am a roofer and carry heavy materials up a ladder every day. So, could i be getting even better results if i restructured my routine? Could i be over training? Keep in mind i'm not trying to get huge, i just want to be a strong 150lb man that is really toned/cut.
NO real evidence to support any of that.

And train your legs. Watch how much faster/easier you move up and down a ladder with 50 pounds on your back after you have strengthened you hips and quads.

Br

Jameson653

Jameson653

Awards
NO real evidence to support any of that.

And train your legs. Watch how much faster/easier you move up and down a ladder with 50 pounds on your back after you have strengthened you hips and quads.

Br
^^^ I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FloridaRoofer

Awards
Thanks again. I suppose I have some re-tooling to do so i can fit in the legs.