Outside of Bicep

krakken

krakken

Awards
hey fellas,

So, I have put on a good amount of size on my biceps over the past few months. However, it looks like my biceps are growing in (towards my pecs). When I flex my arms look good from the inside but from the outside they don't look as good.

I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.

Is there an exercise/way to get my biceps to grow outward as well? Give the outside of the bicep size?

Thanks

**also, I don't really train arms much as I believe my compounds hit my biceps many times a week. I throw in preachers about once a week though

krakken

krakken

Awards
Argh. Yes, it kind of does... but, triceps are not a lagging muscle for me. Good definition there.. maybe my issue is the bulge/peak of the bicep. They are growing outward (width wise)... How can I target height? Or, the peak ? Maybe its just how my musculature develops.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I would really focus on tricep rope pressdowns and hammer curls. That should help to build up your outer arm.

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
It's kind of hard to say just by description. But bicep peak is highly dependent on genetics. If you have a short cut bicep, you get a big peak. A longer cut makes them look overall thicker and hella sexy when hanging down your torso

krakken

krakken

Awards
I would really focus on tricep rope pressdowns and hammer curls. That should help to build up your outer arm.
Well, I do weighted dips and heavy skulls for my tri's. Tri's have some fairly good size... but I think I found my answer for the muscles I want to target in my bicep.. Going to work in a variation of hammer curls and close grip barbell curls.... heavy as fvk of course :squareeyed:

krakken

krakken

Awards
It's kind of hard to say just by description. But bicep peak is highly dependent on genetics. If you have a short cut bicep, you get a big peak. A longer cut makes them look overall thicker and hella sexy when hanging down your torso
Well, I def have the long cut bicep's... I wish I had shorter cuts though so I could get more of that peak going on....

Tboz

Banned
Awards
To get the outside head of your bicep you need to do hammer curls and close grip bb curls

Make sure you use strict form

krakken

krakken

Awards
yeah im going to start doing these. thanks

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
To build outer bicep, do ez bar curls or barbell curls with hands close together. For peak, do preacher curls or concentration curls. On concentration curls twist the wrist at the bottom of each rep. Great for peak
Peak is genetic. Preachers do not change that. Keep the broscience to a minimum please :)

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
Peak is genetic. Preachers do not change that. Keep the broscience to a minimum please :)
Lol.

Yea dont wory bro i hve long cut biceps like you. Everybody typically wants the one they dont have. I kinda grew to liking mine because i spend all my time walking not flexing up by my head. And if you wear a nice tank top or wife beater during summer, those shoulders just pop and mke your arms look hella huge

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Lol.

Yea dont wory bro i hve long cut biceps like you. Everybody typically wants the one they dont have. I kinda grew to liking mine because i spend all my time walking not flexing up by my head. And if you wear a nice tank top or wife beater during summer, those shoulders just pop and mke your arms look hella huge
But if you compete its nice to have the shorter cut for that high peak :tongue:

krakken

krakken

Awards
Def. going to have to agree with this one. I forgot that I've read this many times before. However, that is not my concentration. It is the outside head of the bicep which I have discovered can be fixed by hammer curls and close grip bb curls.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Not completely true. Mass building excersizes will not develop the peak that OP is looking for. Excersizes like preachers and concentration curls will develop more leap to a certain extent.
Over the long term it will make a minimal difference if any at all. OP would be better off just building mass and sculpting his body to be the peak of his genetic potential.

Here's a good article about bi training.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/top-5-bicep-training-mistakes-how-to-correct-them.html

krakken

krakken

Awards
Lol.

Where I'm from, you don't really want to walk around in wife beats and tank tops. lol.

krakken

krakken

Awards
Not completely true. Mass building excersizes will not develop the peak that OP is looking for. Excersizes like preachers and concentration curls will develop more leap to a certain extent.
As mass building is my focus... I do do Preachers twice a week for my biceps. Going to Switch it up to Preachers once a week with hammers then later in the week before two days off hit them again with Hammers and close grip bb curls.

Also, let me tell you. I've been doing preachers for awhile and I have gained a lot of mass from them. However, it is not been in the peak. It's been in the inside bicep area. Giving it more width.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
As mass building is my focus... I do do Preachers twice a week for my biceps. Going to Switch it up to Preachers once a week with hammers then later in the week before two days off hit them again with Hammers and close grip bb curls.

Also, let me tell you. I've been doing preachers for awhile and I have gained a lot of mass from them. However, it is not been in the peak. It's been in the inside bicep area. Giving it more width.
This is an incorrect statement. Not to bash your progress but you've gained mass from your diet not from the curls :). I'm glad its working for you and keep improving!

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is an incorrect statement. Not to bash your progress but you've gained mass from your diet not from the curls :). I'm glad its working for you and keep improving!
So if he didnt gain mass from his workout/preacher curls i guess that means my next bulk phase i dont have to workout?

While i fully agree that diet is going to help a lot so is his training.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
So if he didnt gain mass from his workout/preacher curls i guess that means my next bulk phase i dont have to workout?

While i fully agree that diet is going to help a lot so is his training.
The exercise gives your body the stimulus to use the excess calories to build and repair muscle but if you ate at an excess with no exercise you would still build muscle. Now it is true that without the exercise you would gain more fat than muscle but the most important part of any bodybuilding lifestyle is the diet, not the workout.

You could workout all day with a ****ty diet and make almost no progress but with a good diet and no exercise you can still make significant changes in overall body composition. Bodybuilding is a 80/20 deal. 80% of your gains are diet and rest while only 20% are the workout. :)

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Maybe try exchanging some of your preacher curls for standing BB curls. Add this change though:

Get into normal curl position, but then squeeze your scapulae together and keep your elbows behind the coronal plane. Doing them this way it's all biceps working, and I've found it to work fairly well for emphasizing the outer head - which might help with your problem!

Give 'em a shot and see if you like them.

krakken

krakken

Awards
Jim, you are wrong. I eat blueberry pop-tarts all day long and wash each one down with bud light. Ive gained 20 lbs of muscle doing that ****... lol

krakken

krakken

Awards
Maybe try exchanging some of your preacher curls for standing BB curls. Add this change though:

Get into normal curl position, but then squeeze your scapulae together and keep your elbows behind the coronal plane. Doing them this way it's all biceps working, and I've found it to work fairly well for emphasizing the outer head - which might help with your problem!

Give 'em a shot and see if you like them.
Thanks, doss. Will try it out. This reminds me of the mind-muscle connection... important ****.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Jim, you are wrong. I eat blueberry pop-tarts all day long and wash each one down with bud light. Ive gained 20 lbs of muscle doing that ****... lol
So you mean to tell me that eating under maintenance calories put weight on you? I find that hard to believe, even with perfect genetics.

krakken

krakken

Awards
Jim, that was a joke. I don't touch pop-tarts and I rarely drink.

bigguyn10ec

bigguyn10ec

Awards
  • Established
Hammer curls can help make it look more closer to the elbow.. which to me makes it look like more of a peak. But Hammer need to be done right. You can do more wieght with them but never sacrafice form. Focus on the negative part more on any curl.. That is what lengthens the biceps, which causes it to grow.

Something I did was tri sets or giant sets.
Set up a preacher curl bar and seat, do one set using outside grip for a very hard 10 reps or so. then drop bar grab the inside grip and try for as many as you can. ( remember not to bring the shoulder into this though watch the form ) after you have died on that grab some dumbbells and do some slow hammer curls.

Call me in the morning. lol

krakken

krakken

Awards
Hammer curls can help make it look more closer to the elbow.. which to me makes it look like more of a peak. But Hammer need to be done right. You can do more wieght with them but never sacrafice form. Focus on the negative part more on any curl.. That is what lengthens the biceps, which causes it to grow.

Something I did was tri sets or giant sets.
Set up a preacher curl bar and seat, do one set using outside grip for a very hard 10 reps or so. then drop bar grab the inside grip and try for as many as you can. ( remember not to bring the shoulder into this though watch the form ) after you have died on that grab some dumbbells and do some slow hammer curls.

Call me in the morning. lol
Thanks for the advice man, I appreciate it.

wick3dtrick

wick3dtrick

Awards
Well, I def have the long cut bicep's... I wish I had shorter cuts though so I could get more of that peak going on....
lucky you, i have short cut biceps. i wish i had long cut biceps, so they would look good just unflexed and at my sides, if i wanted to show off my biceps i have to flex then it looks good. also have you ever done the over head triceps extensions, you could also do single so you can target one arm at a time. that builds the outer arm really well. also any kind of bicep workout you do where your doing a close grip or flexing up in front of the body instead of to the sides of the body you work the outside of the bicep.

krakken

krakken

Awards
lucky you, i have short cut biceps. i wish i had long cut biceps, so they would look good just unflexed and at my sides, if i wanted to show off my biceps i have to flex then it looks good. also have you ever done the over head triceps extensions, you could also do single so you can target one arm at a time. that builds the outer arm really well. also any kind of bicep workout you do where your doing a close grip or flexing up in front of the body instead of to the sides of the body you work the outside of the bicep.
Thanks man and yeah... the problem is with long cuts.. they look decent not flexed.. but then when you flex... you expect more than what you get... so, every guy will wish for what he doesnt have. Thanks for the tips.. I've started incorporating close grip exercises in my bicep routine for the past week... have to see how it goes

krakken

krakken

Awards
Thanks man and yeah... the problem is with long cuts.. they look decent not flexed.. but then when you flex... you expect more than what you get... so, every guy will wish for what he doesnt have. Thanks for the tips.. I've started incorporating close grip exercises in my bicep routine for the past week... have to see how it goes

krakken

krakken

Awards

wick3dtrick

wick3dtrick

Awards
Hmm I see, I should be a mad scientist and conduct a crazy experiment where I can incorperate long and short cut bi's into someone haha or I can work my ass off and get really big and nice arms <- I like the odds of the second one lol :) and that's good you should see gains in size make sure you keep measuring and put a lot of iron blood and sweat into it ;). You'll get your results in no time! Goodluck bud

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards
Someone made a related comment earlier and it was called broscience… But close grip will work the outer, wide grip the inner, and hammers the peak.

redredss

Awards
bicep shape is genetics, if its happening on both bi's grip close for BB curls to hit the outer Bi and grip shoulder/slighter wider to hit the innerhead