Size vs Strength

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.56%

Size vs Strength

So lately I've come to realize that I gain mass a LOT easier than I gain strength. I generally do low rep workouts like 3x3 or 5x5 for my compound lifts but it seems like it's a lot easier for me to add on pounds to my body and not onto the weight I use during my workouts.

At my size I still really only do...
    70x5x5 DB Bench
    85x5x5 DB Rows
    245x5x5 Deadlifts

All of those which I think is pretty weak considering I'm 21 years old, 5'10 167 (~12% BF). Is it just in my head that I'm my strength isn't rising on par with my weight or am I actually not overly strong for my size? Just wondering what you guys think.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.41%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Look into a different training program if yours isn't giving you the results you want. Find what areas are your weak points and focus on those areas.
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.8%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

You might want to try adjusting and only doing one set of 5 at the "working" set. If I do 5 sets of 5 of my "top" set I don't think I'd be able to make as good of strength gains than if I did less overall work.
    And stick to a program for at least 2 months with a goal to gain strength in mind.
    RecoverBro ELITE
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.47%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Size and strength can be interrelated, being that you can increase weight while gaining size (weight of the weights ha.). However focusing on one or the other is the best approach.
    Typically, they both can have very different approaches in the way you attack them, and depending on your goals, its best to tailor you plan to match the one you want. For instance, many people training for muscular hypertrophy tend to increase volume whereas people training for strength regulary test 1RM and often pick a weight that is around 65-70% of their 1RM and use that (cant remember exact figures of the study so dont quote me on that).

Pick one goal and stick to it, that way you'll see results much faster.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  194 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.23%

Your strength compared to stats seem fine to me. If you were a 10 year experienced lifter itd be a different story.

Are you complaining about hypertrophy over strength? The previous posters listed good advice in regards to changing things up for different results if that's indeed what you desire.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.56%

Thanks everyone. Any particular programs that you guys like to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Xtweak05 View Post
    Your strength compared to stats seem fine to me. If you were a 10 year experienced lifter itd be a different story.

Are you complaining about hypertrophy over strength? The previous posters listed good advice in regards to changing things up for different results if that's indeed what you desire.
    I'm not exactly complaining per say but personally I think seeing strength gains over weight gains keeps me more motivated. I'd rather be able to lift heavy weights than just looking like I can.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.95%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by broda View Post
    So lately I've come to realize that I gain mass a LOT easier than I gain strength. I generally do low rep workouts like 3x3 or 5x5 for my compound lifts but it seems like it's a lot easier for me to add on pounds to my body and not onto the weight I use during my workouts.

At my size I still really only do...
    70x5x5 DB Bench
    85x5x5 DB Rows
    245x5x5 Deadlifts

All of those which I think is pretty weak considering I'm 21 years old, 5'10 167 (~12% BF). Is it just in my head that I'm my strength isn't rising on par with my weight or am I actually not overly strong for my size? Just wondering what you guys think.
    Your stats are nearly identical to my son's, and you're lifting almost exactly the same weights as he is. I've observed him pretty closely, we work out together every couple weeks or so. He's worked hard and I think he's pretty much on track.

One thing though, I don't think dumbbell bench press is, properly speaking, a compound lift. A barbell bench is, and if you do that I think you'll find you can move more weight and progress more rapidly than with the dumbbells.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.44%

for strength I like doing a modified 5x5 routine. So chest is something like this...
    flat bench: 2 warm up, sets 3 working 5 reps
    Incline: 2 warm up, 3 working 5 reps
    Decline/weighted dips: 2 warm up, 3 working 5 reps
    really focusing form and timing
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.56%

Quote Originally Posted by compudog View Post
    Your stats are nearly identical to my son's, and you're lifting almost exactly the same weights as he is. I've observed him pretty closely, we work out together every couple weeks or so. He's worked hard and I think he's pretty much on track.

One thing though, I don't think dumbbell bench press is, properly speaking, a compound lift. A barbell bench is, and if you do that I think you'll find you can move more weight and progress more rapidly than with the dumbbells.
    I actually just starting to do more barbell exercises since I've been doing DB exercises for so long and see where that takes me.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  194 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.23%

Quote Originally Posted by broda
    Thanks everyone. Any particular programs that you guys like to use?

I'm not exactly complaining per say but personally I think seeing strength gains over weight gains keeps me more motivated. I'd rather be able to lift heavy weights than just looking like I can.
    So you're an ego lifter? Given your age I definitely understand. Around your bros you wanna lift some weight but at the same time you want to work out to look good for the ladies. You may argue this, and that's fine. However, you should lift for yourself. Check the ego at the door and get to business in the gym. Work your goals out, do you wanna be strong and lift like a power lifter or train like a bodybuilder and sacrifice a bit of weight. You'll figure it out. Just stay consistent and eat right and you'll achieve what you desire.
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.56%

Quote Originally Posted by Xtweak05 View Post
    So you're an ego lifter? Given your age I definitely understand. Around your bros you wanna lift some weight but at the same time you want to work out to look good for the ladies. You may argue this, and that's fine. However, you should lift for yourself. Check the ego at the door and get to business in the gym. Work your goals out, do you wanna be strong and lift like a power lifter or train like a bodybuilder and sacrifice a bit of weight. You'll figure it out. Just stay consistent and eat right and you'll achieve what you desire.
    Not really. I lift for myself and I don't really care if other people notice. It's just that I like to see strength gains more and that's why I've always only done lower rep programs. Ideally my favorite gym would be an empty one, haha
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.86%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

My suggestion would be to look into Wendler's 531. Simple program where you should be able to gain strength.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  194 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%

If strength is what you're looking for you might want to consider Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.

You WILL see strength gains with either program. The gains will come fast as well if you follow them accordingly.

I would advise not to start with a weight that is already your 5rep max. I'd start lighter and work your weigh up.

Don't worry if at first the weights are too easy.. I assure you that won't last long and you'll appreciate the easier lifts while they last.

Both programs will have you doing a full body workout 3x a week consisting of only three basic compound exercises per session.

You'll also be squating three times a week.

Workout A

Barbell Squats 3/5x5.
    Bench Press 3/5x5.
    Pendlay Rows 3/5x5 (Power Clean if following Rippetoe's program)

Workout B

Barbell Squat 3/5x5.
    Standing Overhead Press 3/5x5.
    Deadlift 1x5.

You'll be switching between the two each workout.

A
    Off.
    B.
    Off.
    A.
    Off.
    Off.
    B.
    Off.
    A..etc.

It is merely my opinion to give this program a try if strength is your current goal.

This routine has been conclusively proven to yield rapid strength gains if followed correctly.

Take it easy!
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  194 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%

If strength is what you're looking for you might want to consider Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.

You WILL see strength gains with either program. The gains will come fast as well if you follow them accordingly.

I would advise not to start with a weight that is already your 5rep max. I'd start lighter and work your weigh up.

Don't worry if at first the weights are too easy.. I assure you that won't last long and you'll appreciate the easier lifts while they last.

Both programs will have you doing a full body workout 3x a week consisting of only three basic compound exercises per session.

You'll also be squating three times a week.

Workout A

Barbell Squats 3/5x5.
    Bench Press 3/5x5.
    Pendlay Rows 3/5x5 (Power Clean if following Rippetoe's program)

Workout B

Barbell Squat 3/5x5.
    Standing Overhead Press 3/5x5.
    Deadlift 1x5.

You'll be switching between the two each workout.

A
    Off.
    B.
    Off.
    A.
    Off.
    Off.
    B.
    Off.
    A..etc.

It is merely my opinion to give this program a try if strength is your current goal.

This routine has been conclusively proven to yield rapid strength gains if followed correctly.

Take it easy!

Similar Forum Threads

1. strength training for size?
    By inda11 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-20-2012, 03:15 PM
  2. NEED OF PH FOR STRENGTH SIZE
    By ngen52 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-27-2011, 10:53 AM
  3. 5X5 + Animal= Strength & Size
    By atrain11b in forum Supplement Logs