Stretching???

AmazingAJ

Awards
So ive been stretching my entire body before and after workouts everyday. sometimes another 2 times if im doing mma. however recently i have heard that this is bad? ive also heard you shouldnt stretch before lifting? so what should i do. take a couple laps around the gym and do a few jumping jacks pre workout and then post workout stretch?

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I think its pretty subjective. If what you're doing is working and you're not getting injured, I'd say it's pretty good. There is some evidence to say that certain types of stretching before weight training can decrease your strength, but if you're happy with your workouts you're probably okay.

Since you're doing MMA, the stretching is probably doing you more good than not. If you want to stop stretching before lifting, I've found that a dynamic warmup doing a couple of different exercises to get blood into the area you're going to be working is usually a good way to go.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
I think its pretty subjective. If what you're doing is working and you're not getting injured, I'd say it's pretty good. There is some evidence to say that certain types of stretching before weight training can decrease your strength, but if you're happy with your workouts you're probably okay.

Since you're doing MMA, the stretching is probably doing you more good than not. If you want to stop stretching before lifting, I've found that a dynamic warmup doing a couple of different exercises to get blood into the area you're going to be working is usually a good way to go.
This^^
I've heard arguments either way that sounded logical for weight lifting but for MMA you have to stretch. A muscle that hasn't been stretched can tear if you miss a shot and overextend or get caught in a submission and can't tap in time. When lifting you know the exact range of motion, but in MMA, ROM limits get tested.

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
I personally don't do stretches but I'll always do warm up sets and some light rotator cuff work before my actual workout. Haven't really had problems.

AmazingAJ

Awards
thanks guys.ya ive had rotatpr cuff issues before. so i think i will just jog a lap and do some jumping jacks before then stretch after. i just dont want to get injured

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
dynamic streches before with your warm up and static after. for mma and bjj warmups i try to do light full body excersizes with as much range of motion as possible. example warm 5-15mis jumprope. dumbell rotational squat presses. kettleball swings. hindu pushups. burpees.