Need Some New Weightlifting Shoes

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
Well I need to pick up a new pair of weightlifting shoes and I am considering 2 pairs right now. The Rouge Do-Wins and VS athletics wightlifting shoe. I know the Do-wins are a good shoe but the VS are about $40-50 less so I am looking for any opinions from people who own those. If you have owned both, which did you like better?

bobbymac

bobbymac

Awards
How about Vibram’s? Almost like training barefoot like Arnold!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
No that won't work. I have high arches and squatting barefoot causes my feet to roll in. I also need a shoe with a heel to help with depth and butt tuck.

So my options are limited to oly weightlifting shoes primarily.

Imskyhigh87

Banned
Awards
New balance minimus or any asics wrestling shoes would be my first choice

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Oh. How much?
Made just for lifting?

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Oh. How much?
Made just for lifting?
I spent $95 + 10$ shipping when I bought mine. Yeah, they're made just for lifting. Makes squatting full depth more comfortable for me but the only lift that I notice real improvement in while wearing them is snatching.

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
I love my adidas ironwork lll.
I had looked at those as they are just a little less than the rouge do-wins. How high is the heel? They have a lower heel than the adistars dont they?

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
Anyone use the VS athletics weightlifting shoes that can comment on them?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I spent $95 + 10$ shipping when I bought mine. Yeah, they're made just for lifting. Makes squatting full depth more comfortable for me but the only lift that I notice real improvement in while wearing them is snatching.
Really wood on the heel?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Makes sense.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
No that won't work. I have high arches and squatting barefoot causes my feet to roll in. I also need a shoe with a heel to help with depth and butt tuck.

So my options are limited to oly weightlifting shoes primarily.
i have high aches i lift in chucks and my feet do not roll in. i push my knees out, i point my feet slightly forward, i sit back and the weight stays on the outside of my foot. now i had to learn to squat that way.

check out this link for some quick how to on improving those feet from rolling in.
http://deathlessperformance.blogspot.com/2012/02/lower-leg-positioning-for-mindbar.html

lostboy

lostboy

Awards
I love my Vibrums.. They aren't very protective if you drop anything on them they hurt like a bitch.. Just my opinion.. I wouldn't trade them except for long cardio sessions..

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i have high aches i lift in chucks and my feet do not roll in. i push my knees out, i point my feet slightly forward, i sit back and the weight stays on the outside of my foot. now i had to learn to squat that way.

check out this link for some quick how to on improving those feet from rolling in.
http://deathlessperformance.blogspot.com/2012/02/lower-leg-positioning-for-mindbar.html
I needed this video! I had a hip flexor injury recently due to some incorrect posture things that have managed to creep into my lifting (I rotate my hip clockwise), which with squatting all the time did some damage to that poor flexor and other muscles. One thing I noticed after taking time off and re-learning squatting so to speak is that I have this tremendous pain on the outside of my knee when I try to drive my knees out. I think this warmup will nail the problem spots. Gonna give it a shot next time

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established

The bigger issue for me is needing a heel to help with depth and butt tuck. I have managed to do pretty well with the chucks for a while, finally video taped my form though and I have some wicked butt tuck. I did test squats (bodyweight only) with blocks under my heels and the butt tuck totally disappeared.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
i lift wearing my adizeros f50.2, i love them, extremely comfortable with my low arches... sure they arnt lifting shoes by design but i love them

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
The bigger issue for me is needing a heel to help with depth and butt tuck. I have managed to do pretty well with the chucks for a while, finally video taped my form though and I have some wicked butt tuck. I did test squats (bodyweight only) with blocks under my heels and the butt tuck totally disappeared.
instead of duct tapping the issue, why not fix the issue? i would highly recommend increasing hip mobility. then you wont have to use a crutch.

watch this mobilitywod vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY&feature=fvwp&NR=1

i did lots of that plus low box squats for several months. now i just foam roll my hip flexors and groin and i can hammer out squats without a butt tuck at all.

that early post i made about how to push your knees out and try and spreading the floor will help as well. add in some glute activation work and you will be golden:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

after all that you could squat barefoot! no need for shoes to correct an issue. :)

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
instead of duct tapping the issue, why not fix the issue? i would highly recommend increasing hip mobility. then you wont have to use a crutch.

watch this mobilitywod vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY&feature=fvwp&NR=1

i did lots of that plus low box squats for several months. now i just foam roll my hip flexors and groin and i can hammer out squats without a butt tuck at all.

that early post i made about how to push your knees out and try and spreading the floor will help as well. add in some glute activation work and you will be golden:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

after all that you could squat barefoot! no need for shoes to correct an issue. :)
Yea good point. Thanks for all the links man, reps!

thoward

Awards
I agree with the above poster. A raised heel shoe isn't going to help with butt-tuck (aka butt-wink) or feet rolling in. Those are form issues that require you to drop the weight and spend some time retraining your body. For butt-tuck I found that I really need to focus on pushing my ass out, which in turn causes an unpleasant stretch in my front quad/hip flexor. Apparently this is where my issues is. The positive effects are that the bar stays over my heels better and it prevent the forward "dump" feeling that causes you to want to rock onto the balls of your feet. If you are still interested in shoes, even barefoot style stuff, check out hxxp://wlshoes.com

retrofitted

Awards
If you get the heel issue sorted out, I think the Asics wrestling shoes such as the Matflex series are your best bang for the buck.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Really wood on the heel?
To add what Badger has already stated. The wood heels do not compress which aid in energy transference at the bottom of lifts. If they were to compress, when you stop at the bottom and your body starts its progress upwards there would be a momentary lag in energy as the heels would still be compressing downwards.

Also, the heels serve specific purposes for body positioning during Olympic lifting. This should be noted as it will differ from other styles of lifting.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Badger, I suggest five fingers.

Nah, I can read lol.

I have not used the VS, but read decent stuff on them. I have the Rogue Do-winns and like them well enough.

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
PF Flyers they were guaranteed to make you jump higher and run faster in the 1950's so they must still be amazing. And they are comfy.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PF Flyers they were guaranteed to make you jump higher and run faster in the 1950's so they must still be amazing. And they are comfy.
Bought a pair a few years back. Liked them, but still prefer my chuck Taylor's.