Training Differently on Steroids?

JohnJJ

Awards
What are some ways you would change the way you train if you're on gear?

If I was doing Layne Norton's PHAT, what would I do differently. I've read you can go to failure more on gear.

What are your tips and tricks to maximizing your cycle by using different training methods than you would use while not on a cycle.

JohnJJ

Awards
Of course i'm always training my hardest. I'm talking more technique, sets/reps, ect.

For example, most people would say you shouldn't go to failure too often when your natty. I've read however, that when your on gear your body can handle it and it might be more beneficial to go to failure more often.

Things like that, tips to maximize muscle/strength gain

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I take every set save for a warmup set to failure and incorporate lots of drop sets, rest pause and forced reps. it helps to have a plan and not just wing it with your training to that way you dont end up losing track of time and lifting for 4 hours lol. also eat more than you usually would.

boogyman

Awards
Most of the people I know who.used steroids trained in higher rep ranges.

gmanall

Awards
Depending on what your using, most people do more volume and intensity amplifiers(eg. Dropsets, forced reps ect.). They also tend to also have more weekly volume because your recovery increase. Not saying that you can't do these things without steroids it's that you will reach overtraining if you continue for periods of time. To sum it up you can lift more, more often.

JohnJJ

Awards
Ok, I get it. I'll just do more forced rep, failure sets, and drop sets.

I'm very excited, thanks guys

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Take advantage of the increased recovery. You might be able to train more days out of the week or implement a more rigorous split.

Wygdwicfy

Awards
+1 about being able to handle training to failure.

When I was doing phat on cycle, I was going up 5-10 pounds on every exercise each week.

Roniboney

Awards
PHAT on a cycle is great.I did a modified 4 day phat split my first cycle and saw great results.

Only downside is your joints may not like you for the sudden weights you can lift.SActually ended up hurting my knee squatting because of this.
Be careful with the weight increases you'll be able to do.Make sure your form is great and that you don't jump up too fast in weights.

JohnJJ

Awards
Yes, I'll send you a link to my thread of my cycle when i post it, including final routine and all supporting supplements. I'm going all out on health and planning since this will be my last cycle. I'm starting early September

LITERaCOLA

Awards
focus on TUT (time under tention) the more you have the more you grow.

LITERaCOLA

Awards
elaborate please
[video=youtube;T6tUeQv-cL4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6tUeQv-cL4[/video] at the end he says if your in steroids you don't need to do time under tension however I still lift the same way and i lift this way at higher volume reps. Listen to the philosophy at 5:00. THIS IS A THEORY just to be clear but it has worked for people.

JohnJJ

Awards
interesting

ripped_k1d

Awards
Biggest thing on roids is that you can do crazy volume without going catabolic and having a **** ton of cortisol. Recovery/nitrogren retention is through the roof, discourages latic acid buildup. Roids let you train longer, harder and more often. So your workouts should be all 3 of those

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Discourages lactic acid buildup? Admittedly, I'm not overly versed on aas literature but can you elaborate or site any kind of reference for that?

Roniboney

Awards
Discourages lactic acid buildup? Admittedly, I'm not overly versed on aas literature but can you elaborate or site any kind of reference for that?
lactic acid is a by product of your cells going under anaerobic conditions as a result of a lack of ATP.ATP is the energy currency of our cells and moves around via active transport.The cells under conscious control have less ATP to work with than unconscious.When lactic acid builds up theres a burning sensation in your muscle due to lack of oxygen.If you continue then your muscle can cramp.

Products like creatine improve the storage and rate of ATP in our bodies.Obviously if your on aas you store a lot of water and glycogen making you have more available muscular ATP.

JohnJJ

Awards
Biggest thing on roids is that you can do crazy volume without going catabolic and having a **** ton of cortisol. Recovery/nitrogren retention is through the roof, discourages latic acid buildup. Roids let you train longer, harder and more often. So your workouts should be all 3 of those
I have added 23 more sets per week to the PHAT program, that would be my more often. I'll be going to failure at the end of some sets and try dropsets a little more often, that would be my harder. I will also do some core work (ab wheel, woodchops, ect) and use a gripper I have that I can't fully squeeze yet, that would be my longer. :)

thanks bud

Roniboney

Awards
I have added 23 more sets per week to the PHAT program, that would be my more often. I'll be going to failure at the end of some sets and try dropsets a little more often, that would be my harder. I will also do some core work (ab wheel, woodchops, ect) and use a gripper I have that I can't fully squeeze yet, that would be my longer. :)

thanks bud
jesus [HAT is already very volume orietated.How many sets per week?

JohnJJ

Awards
jesus [HAT is already very volume orietated.How many sets per week?

138, too much? I will also be eating about 5k calories ideally. Jay Cutler once said, you can't overtrain, you can just under eat. :)

LITERaCOLA

Awards
less lactic acid..less sore... english

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
I'm fairly certain the build up of hydrogen ions and the subsequent change in ph is what causes the "burn", so to speak. However, I was referring to any science showing steroids changed the production of lactate, lactic acid, hydrogen ions, etc. It sounds highly unlikely.

ripped_k1d

Awards
Yeah dude its bro science. I don't have studies off hand to back it up but I know its true. When you are on you get less sore. I'm a volume whore myself.. :D

Roniboney

Awards
I'm fairly certain the build up of hydrogen ions and the subsequent change in ph is what causes the "burn", so to speak. However, I was referring to any science showing steroids changed the production of lactate, lactic acid, hydrogen ions, etc. It sounds highly unlikely.
The simple biological explanation I gave is the general cause but yes chemically its the cells losing protons allowing a lactate ion to be produced.If this happens cell wide then it builds up.Its a very temporary response in our cells.During glycolysis our cells produced so many hydrogen atoms that join to make NADH that the body rejects it during respiration(at a cellular level).I would go into how NAD+ effects the build up but I'm sure I've lost most of the people here at this stage.Glycolysis and the Krebs(citric acid) bridge into this but lactic acids form in the first stage of respiration as a waste product due to the lack of oxygen.

Look it up on pubmed or a qualified website.It's very interesting.Especially in its importance in the meat processing industry.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
I'm on the same page with you I'm just generally interested in why steroids and an overall increase in testosterone would cause there to be a lack of any of those byproducts of glycolitic metabolism.

Edit: I understand you can increase volume and or frequency while on, I was just curious if you had studies off hand to provide further analysis of the mechanisms which allow this. No worries

TM92

Awards
It's somewhat contradicting. No you should train any differently but keep in mind you should be pushing harder every week an pushing harder than what you did the week before ect. Key factor you should keep in mind is your daily food intake. I'm not sure what your goal is bulk or cut. But you should considering having more than what you normally do when you weren't on gear. Plus your appetite will become more noticeable. Just throwing some suggestion out there. Just leading a helping hand.