How often do you lift to failure?

dramallama

Awards
For a long time now I feel like if I don't absolutely kill myself in the gym and go to failure then do drop sets, I'm not getting a satisfactory workout. I'm still making gains and getting stronger but I feel like I'm still burned out more often than not before I make the drive to the gym. I'll take my preWO and once I finally get my blood going in the gym I just feel like a beast again and have to go all out.. anything less makes me feel like I could have done more good for my muscle. I read a lot about not going to failure every time.. I just CAN'T not go to failure? Does anyone else feel this way? What are your opinions?​

rspctble_gain

rspctble_gain

Awards
I think everyone has a Mike Mentzer high-intensity phase. If you don’t feel like you’re overtraining then you don’t have a reason to quit going to failure, unless you’re bored. Personally, I only go mega heavy on my major compound lifts two times a month or so and I play around with various styles.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I program it in, generally about once every 2-4 weeks. And its only one one to two lifts per session and only one set per lift.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Only if I'm feeling extra saucy that day and mainly on assistance lifts (e.g. pressdowns, side laterals).

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
I generally go close to failure on my compound movements. I feel like if I don't then I'm not really doing as much as I could.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I program it in, generally about once every 2-4 weeks. And its only one one to two lifts per session and only one set per lift.
Do you use the "big" lifts for maxing, or do you target some of the auxiliary exercises? Also, at what point in the workout do you do the "max" set?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
2 out of 4 workouts for me are max effort. 1 upper and 1 lower. i work out 3 days a week so 1 week has 1 ME day and i wont have 2 ME days in a week more then once every 3 weeks or so.

i do block periodization so for 4-5 weeks my max effort is 3-8 reps so its more max strain. and that is only 1 set for the entire mac effort workout. i will then deload then do 2-3 weeks where my max effort days are singles for bench and squats and doubles for deads. i will only hit that max effort once with those lifts during that time frame. then its deload and back to the previous block.

looking at my current meet plan that ends in july. on average i have 1 set a week of going to failure. with an average of about 40 sets total per workout for all lifts. so not much.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you use the "big" lifts for maxing, or do you target some of the auxiliary exercises? Also, at what point in the workout do you do the "max" set?
Yes, it is done with the big lifts (though never deadlift unless its a 1rm). There are some positive adaptations that occur when training to failure, namely adaptations to the neuromuscular junction. Failure sets on the big lifts are first in the workout, in a HIT type manner. Warm up, build up in weight, hit a failure set of 6-10 reps, move on to my auxillary exercises.

Br

LITERaCOLA

Awards
if it make you feel bad you don't go to failure every day just know that Jay Cutler's workout strategy is not failure every single day. dont get me wrong the man in strong as hell but he trains more with volume. It also has to do with experience of manipulating the muscle. The problem with going ALL out every day is you using your secondary muscles more in order to complete the lift by the end of your workout so you don't hit the mian muscle as hard. But again that's also mostly about form.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
if it make you feel bad you don't go to failure every day just know that Jay Cutler's workout strategy is not failure every single day. dont get me wrong the man in strong as hell but he trains more with volume. It also has to do with experience of manipulating the muscle. The problem with going ALL out every day is you using your secondary muscles more in order to complete the lift by the end of your workout so you don't hit the mian muscle as hard. But again that's also mostly about form.
I don't think that Jay Cutler's training strategies have a lot of bearing on the average trainee's fitness goals...

LITERaCOLA

Awards
It was just an attempt to let him know he doesn't have to go to failure everytime...I mean if you go to failure on your first few sets you probablly can't do as much weight in the later sets which would possibly lead to you getting your gains faster. it's just my opinion on it.
I don't think that Jay Cutler's training strategies have a lot of bearing on the average trainee's fitness goals...

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Form failure every single set every single day.

If you can't do a lift properly you shouldn't be doing it (I'm pointing at you crossfit!)

If you can do 8,10,12 (depending on your goals) reps with a weight and not be borderline sloppy on the last rep you aren't lifting heavy enough or slow enough.

LITERaCOLA

Awards
hahaha I hate the cross fitters at my gym. form is everything and they just dont get that.
Form failure every single set every single day.

If you can't do a lift properly you shouldn't be doing it (I'm pointing at you crossfit!)

If you can do 8,10,12 (depending on your goals) reps with a weight and not be borderline sloppy on the last rep you aren't lifting heavy enough or slow enough.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
hahaha I hate the cross fitters at my gym. form is everything and they just dont get that.
Yeah about half my gym is crossfit...it has its place if you want to be a skinny runner who can throw (literally) weight around, but I prefer to do slow strict deead lift pullups or snatches instead of looking like a fish and throwing weights on the floor all the time...I never understood why they do that, putting the weight down is so much more work than putting it up 0.o

LITERaCOLA

Awards
they just risk injury thats pretty much it. they never concentrate on form.
Yeah about half my gym is crossfit...it has its place if you want to be a skinny runner who can throw (literally) weight around, but I prefer to do slow strict deead lift pullups or snatches instead of looking like a fish and throwing weights on the floor all the time...I never understood why they do that, putting the weight down is so much more work than putting it up 0.o

reeserobs

Awards
i pyramid up in weight, decreasing reps until my last set is like 6-8 reps to failure. on almost all lifts. for db shoulder press for example i'd do something like this: 65s x12, 75s x10, 85s x8 to failure

training to failure is extremely important, as long as you're not doing it too soon and cutting yourself short

also, theres a big difference between what you precieve as failure and true muscle failure. push yourself until you can't do a single additional rep on your last set - always. progressive tension overload is huge when it comes to sarcoplasmic hypertrophy

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I go to failure every time I do upper body work. Not so much for lower body, although going to failure for lower body for me would probably involve the whole muscle tearing apart.