Front Squat Question

rspctble_gain

rspctble_gain

Awards
I switched over to front squatting around the beginning on the year and was mostly working heavy duty with reps between five-six until this week. I never had a problem with form but yesterday I started on a 10/8/6/15 with less weight on each lift. Afterwards, my glutes and hamstrings were killing me beyond belief. Today, I feel it everywhere on the legs but I wonder:

When a person front squats, can the form be ****ed up enough to shift the focus of the lift onto the hamstrings? I noticed when I was squatting I would drop my ass faster as I got deeper into my set.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Without a vid, it's difficult to assess form. Front squats still involve hip extension, so hamstrings and glutes will still be firing, although quads will be involved to a greater extent. Rodja and br can take it from here...

rspctble_gain

rspctble_gain

Awards
Yeah, no type of recording of it and I know that makes it hard :pat: I was just wondering if anyone had similar experiences and had made corrections.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
What kind of stance width were you using, OP? I front squat 2-3 times per week and I definitely notice that stance makes a major difference in which muscles are taking the brunt of the stress. For me, the wider my stance the less stress I feel in the quads and the more recruitment I feel in the glutes/hammies.

rspctble_gain

rspctble_gain

Awards
Typically, I’ll lift off the rack with a narrow stance for the sake of balance, take two steps backwards then adjust into a shoulder-width stance.

I have always squatted with that form, so I am thinking it might be either the speed of my motion (I drop into the “squat” position quickly, sit at the bottom for one or two seconds then explode up) or the height of my squat (I take it slightly below 90 degrees).

How is your style? Have you noticed anything different with changes in speed or height?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
It'd be very difficult to turn the front squat into a hamstring focused movement. During the eccentric phase, the hamstrings plays a roll of stabilization, but this is moving with gravity so the hamstrings only lengthen.

From a physiology standpoint, back squats are hamstring dominant because they are focused on hip extension. Front squats are focused mainly on knee extension since the weight is placed in the front and the torso goes straight down and straight up.

rspctble_gain

rspctble_gain

Awards
So from a physiology standpoint, I am clearly ****ing something up! Because I still have soreness deep into the glutes like charlie horses. I am thinking it’s the deepness of the squats, because I feel zero in my back so the form couldn’t have been that outrageously bad (also, the bar didn't fly off my shoulders)

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
So from a physiology standpoint, I am clearly ****ing something up! Because I still have soreness deep into the glutes like charlie horses. I am thinking it’s the deepness of the squats, because I feel zero in my back so the form couldn’t have been that outrageously bad (also, the bar didn't fly off my shoulders)
Your glutes and hamstrings are usually always sore from front squats just depending on the individual. My glutes and hamstrings are sore from time to time. I'm thinking maybe you're using your hips like a back squat or maybe it is a form issue. The only way to really tell would be to post up a video. The guideline I've always used with front squats is to keep my torso as upright/straight as possible.

rspctble_gain

rspctble_gain

Awards
You’re most likely right, bro, about the hips. Thanks for the response, Imm going to watch my form next time, the higher volumes makes me feel sloppy on the last few reps of my sets.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
You’re most likely right, bro, about the hips. Thanks for the response, Imm going to watch my form next time, the higher volumes makes me feel sloppy on the last few reps of my sets.

I completely agree with what's in bold. More volume usually means an easier break in form especially in front squats. Do you pause at the top and rest 3-5 seconds between each rep or do you go straight up and straight down?

rspctble_gain

rspctble_gain

Awards
There is a one-two second pause at the top, a sudden drop into the squat position and then I explode up (as fast as I reasonably can with control).

Towards the end of my set though, I felt like the motion was off, like my hip (read:crotch) was thrusting foward a little too much. I didn’t think of it until you mentioned hips but yeah I figure that’s the problem.