5/3/1

Matt Hatchett

Awards
I have been looking into the 5/3/1 program and have a quick question for those of you that have used it or are familiar with it. This applies to each workout but for example on bench press day the percentage of my 1rm that I'm supposed to do for either 5, 3, or 1 rep is nowhere near what I can do. The program wants me to do 65%, 75%, and 85% at 5 reps when I could easily do 10 reps for each of those percentages. So my question is, should I adjust the weight to fit the reps it wants or leave as is?

Go Away

Go Away

Awards
If you can easily do 10 reps of your 85% lift, your 1RM might not be accurate.

Do you lift with a spotter?
If not, run and find one the next time you max out.
If you do, let em know you're going all out and try for something you've never hit before.
You could also try and do as many reps at your previously calculated 85% lift, then use a 1RM calculator to come up with your new 1RM and change up your percentages.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, 5-3-1 ad programs like it, work with gradual progression. The total weight lifted increases gradually, so the first coupe weeks might not be as taxing as you'd think, but as you go up in weight incrementally, so do your gains.

Matt Hatchett

Awards
I'm sure my 1RM is accurate and I always make sure to use a spotter. Like you said though the program is made for gradual progression. I'll give it a month like they say and adjust if need be. Thanks!

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The best thing you can do is start TOO light. Yes, read that again....start TOO light. By rushing into heavier weights that you can FEEL taxing your body, will have your stalling out much much quicker. The slower, more consistent and progress increments will have your 1RM increasing all along the way, allowing you to stall out much further down the line. At that point, you drop your 1RM down 10lbs or so, recalculate, and go back at it.

It really takes a different kind of discipline in this case, one that few people have. The discipline to resist doing heavier work, and more work. Another good idea to do is, use these first few cycles of 5/3/1 with the lighter ways as an opportunity to get your GPP up because your CNS will be safe, and you wont run the risk of going to far inroad into recovery.

Good luck.

napalm

napalm

Awards
There is no way your 1rm is accurate if you can rip off 10 at 85%, and when I say no way I mean impossible. Are you using a full range of motion? Post some vids please, that will help us assess what's going on.

<----has been doing 5/3/1 for over a year

Matt Hatchett

Awards
My 1RM is 210 like I said above but with the program you're supposed to use 90% of that as your 1RM for the program. That makes my 85% out to be 160lb which i can do 10+ no problem. I agree with Dave though, I guess it's better to start out too light and gradually increase instead of going too heavy and eventually peaking too soon. Appreciate all the info!

Matt Hatchett

Awards
And I'll see what I can do about the videos over over the weekend.

napalm

napalm

Awards
My 1RM is 210 like I said above but with the program you're supposed to use 90% of that as your 1RM for the program. That makes my 85% out to be 160lb which i can do 10+ no problem. I agree with Dave though, I guess it's better to start out too light and gradually increase instead of going too heavy and eventually peaking too soon. Appreciate all the info!
Bingo, start light and be patient.

Good luck,

Matt Hatchett

Awards
I was also curious about the advantages of this program. I'm not in it for powerlifting, just looking to increase my lifts. But what I don't want to happen is to lose my shape/tone of my muscle by only doing the main lifts and an accessory exercise if that makes any sense? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if I quit doing all of the accessory work I do now (example for back- lat Pulldown, pull ups, rows) will I lose my shape and become more bulked instead of cut?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Question-did you read the book? I'm not being a jerk, I'm serious.

The reason I ask is because Wendler specifically addresses this very issue. The lighter work sets aren't necessarily supposed to be taxing-they're there to get you mentally and physically primed for the last work set.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Bro, you won't lose any 'shape/tone' to your muscles. If you do the program correctly, you'll get bigger.

BTW, muscles don't have 'tone'' they are only 'stronger or weaker'

Matt Hatchett

Awards
I guess I meant will some areas be more defined than others but alright haha thanks again

Matt Hatchett

Awards
And Swanson no I didn't read the Ebook, just some articles online going over the basics of the program. I'm not starting it for a few weeks though so I'll continue to research.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Question-did you read the book? I'm not being a jerk, I'm serious.

The reason I ask is because Wendler specifically addresses this very issue. The lighter work sets aren't necessarily supposed to be taxing-they're there to get you mentally and physically primed for the last work set.
totally correct. get that book. as it answers near every question i ever see on 5/3/1. for the cost it is worth it and a lot more.

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
Definitely read the book. Wendler's recommendation is actually "worse" than you realized. You are supposed to take 90% of your 1RM and treat that lower number as your 1RM for all the weight calculations. This is called the "Training Max".

When I first calculated all my workout weights I also thought "No way, too light". BUT...when I put it into practice with the "Big But Boring" addons, I was very impressed with how right Wendler is. The weight progression is perfect, in my opinion. Wendler is a smart dude; knows what he's doing for sure.

Also keep in mind that on the last (and heaviest) set of your main workout, you are supposed to do as many reps as you can. This ensures that you leave it all in the gym.

I find the "Big but Boring" Deadlift day absolutely brutal as written. Give it a try without changing it and see if you agree.

Good luck.

SpiderPig

SpiderPig

Banned
Awards
Don't think too much about it, with the 5x10's at the end you'll get the burn you desire every day, every week. You will get bigger and stronger every week. I wish I had found out about this program years ago. Just use the calculator and do the exercises. Give it 4 weeks without trying to adjust any of the numbers because your ego is bigger than that. Trust in Wendler.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely read the book. Wendler's recommendation is actually "worse" than you realized. You are supposed to take 90% of your 1RM and treat that lower number as your 1RM for all the weight calculations. This is called the "Training Max".

When I first calculated all my workout weights I also thought "No way, too light". BUT...when I put it into practice with the "Big But Boring" addons, I was very impressed with how right Wendler is. The weight progression is perfect, in my opinion. Wendler is a smart dude; knows what he's doing for sure.

Also keep in mind that on the last (and heaviest) set of your main workout, you are supposed to do as many reps as you can. This ensures that you leave it all in the gym.

I find the "Big but Boring" Deadlift day absolutely brutal as written. Give it a try without changing it and see if you agree.

Good luck.
Agreed. Some of my work sets were too light...or so I thought. I blasted the final set, hit the accessory work and was GASSED.

Love me some 5/3/1!

Matt Hatchett

Awards
Sounds like I have chosen the right program with all of the positive feedback! I hadn't planned to start for a few weeks but I'm going to start it Monday so I have atleast a month or 2 before my cycle. Thanks again!

badfish21981

badfish21981

Awards
Also you asked about accessory work. Pull ups and rows are two things Wendler suggests doing for accessory. Get the book, it is more than worth it.

Matt Hatchett

Awards
I'll keep that in mind. I'm definitely getting the book. Would it hurt to throw in a bicep/Tricep day at the end of the week?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I throw in a few curl sets and weighted dips on my OHP day.

Matt Hatchett

Awards
So I just got done with my 1st day of this workout and honestly I hardly feel like I was at the gym. Did the workout like I was supposed to and I'm having doubts already haha. Here's what I did though incase I missed anything:

Bench press
Warmup
Set 1- 130x5
Set 2- 145x5
Set 3- 160x13

Bench press
Set 1- 105x10
Set 2- 105x10
Set 3- 105x10
Set 4- 105x10
Set 5- 105x22

Then I did 1 accessory workout which was cable crossover. Did 4 sets of 10 and 5th set of 16. I'm going to continue the workout and see how it goes but I definitely don't like how it's starting.

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
Matt,

So if you did Set 3 @ 160#, that implies a 1RM of 210#. Is that really your 1RM? The standard 1rm algorithm would suggest that your 1rm on the bench is at least 220# if you can do 13 reps at 160.

Thoughts?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How do you make this complicated? Why is this thread 2 pages long? Read the book, if you dont have it buy it.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So I just got done with my 1st day of this workout and honestly I hardly feel like I was at the gym. Did the workout like I was supposed to and I'm having doubts already haha. Here's what I did though incase I missed anything:

Bench press
Warmup
Set 1- 130x5
Set 2- 145x5
Set 3- 160x13

Bench press
Set 1- 105x10
Set 2- 105x10
Set 3- 105x10
Set 4- 105x10
Set 5- 105x22

Then I did 1 accessory workout which was cable crossover. Did 4 sets of 10 and 5th set of 16. I'm going to continue the workout and see how it goes but I definitely don't like how it's starting.
BUY AND READ THE BOOK.

Matt Hatchett

Awards
I have heard "buy the book" over and over, I get it. I purchased the book and I'm reading through it. I simply posted today's workout to get input from someone who has used the program because after leaving the gym I felt like I had barely been there. I followed the program the way I understood it.

Matt Hatchett

Awards
Matt,

So if you did Set 3 @ 160#, that implies a 1RM of 210#. Is that really your 1RM? The standard 1rm algorithm would suggest that your 1rm on the bench is at least 220# if you can do 13 reps at 160.

Thoughts?
Yeah my 1RM is 210 as of about 2 weeks ago. My 1RM never seems to equal out to what the 1RM algorithm thing says I should be able to do, it's always less. I've always done better lifting lighter with more reps if that makes sense?

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
Yep. Absolutely does. I look forward to watching your progress as the weeks add more weight.

I would also consider doing some "pull" exercises as accessories. Maybe rows on bench day and chins on military press day. Just a thought...

Keep up the good work!!

Yeah my 1RM is 210 as of about 2 weeks ago. My 1RM never seems to equal out to what the 1RM algorithm thing says I should be able to do, it's always less. I've always done better lifting lighter with more reps if that makes sense?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
He's saying buy the book because the questions you're asking are answered in it, and your posted workout does not really reflect an understanding of the program nor of having read the book. Like, I havent referenced the book since 2011 but I'm fairly certain ALL the answers you're looking for are in the first 20-30 pages or so (~40 minutes reading).

Lutztenways

Lutztenways

Awards

Considering training with the weights suggested in 5/3/1 protocol sort of drove me away because I am in a similar boat. I can do 235 once, 225 twice or 205 10 times or more. I don't know if it is muscle fiber composition related, cns related, or purely mental. Either way, it is a very interesting topic that I'd love to see discussed further.

He's saying buy the book because the questions you're asking are answered in it, and your posted workout does not really reflect an understanding of the program nor of having read the book. Like, I havent referenced the book since 2011 but I'm fairly certain ALL the answers you're looking for are in the first 20-30 pages or so (~40 minutes reading).
It looks like the "boring but big" variation that I've seen referenced all over. I haven't read the book, maybe this isn't even in the book.

I think the main issue here that people are overlooking is that some people don't fit the prototypical 1RM paradigm at all and that is what is causing the confusion. If you use a 1RM max calculator and it models your 3RM and 5RM etc very well then 5/3/1 is going to make sense as it is laid out in the book. For what seems to be a minority of us, the simple program becomes confusing because we don't match documented norms.

Matt Hatchett

Awards
Considering training with the weights suggested in 5/3/1 protocol sort of drove me away because I am in a similar boat. I can do 235 once, 225 twice or 205 10 times or more. I don't know if it is muscle fiber composition related, cns related, or purely mental. Either way, it is a very interesting topic that I'd love to see discussed further.

It looks like the "boring but big" variation that I've seen referenced all over. I haven't read the book, maybe this isn't even in the book.

I think the main issue here that people are overlooking is that some people don't fit the prototypical 1RM paradigm at all and that is what is causing the confusion. If you use a 1RM max calculator and it models your 3RM and 5RM etc very well then 5/3/1 is going to make sense as it is laid out in the book. For what seems to be a minority of us, the simple program becomes confusing because we don't match documented norms.
Exactly right.. I finished the book last night for all of you telling me to buy it. I was doing the boring but big program and I followed it like it said except on the 5 sets of 10 I did as many as I could on the last set. I'm just saying the formulas and 1RM calculators don't work for me. My max sucks, it always has. But I have more endurance in my opinion. After I started the program I read that there was another option for the weight %'s so I'm going to try that. Thanks to those who didn't just post to say I need to read a book.

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would however, go through all four exercises at the prescribed weights and then tinker with the percentages after that. For me, Flat Bench day is the easiest (least tiring), and Deadlift day kicks my butt (doing Big but Boring).

I think Wendler would just tell you to do whatever you want. Keep posting your progress!

Matt Hatchett

Awards
I'll definitely keep going, going to take the rest of this week to make sure my maxes are correct and start again next week.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's likely a technical deficiency.

The formula included is just an estimate and it becomes more inaccurate with each rep. The main thing to take away from it is as a gauge to compare your efforts from week to week. I personally like the Periodization Bible assistance template as I feel as though it is more diverse and balanced.

Matt Hatchett

Awards
I'm just going to have to play with the different parts of the program and see how it goes. If nothing else, I can try something different.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
May have been said already, but the last set is always a "sell out set" meaning you push it for as many reps as you can get with that weight except the wk 4 deload.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Exactly right.. I finished the book last night for all of you telling me to buy it. I was doing the boring but big program and I followed it like it said except on the 5 sets of 10 I did as many as I could on the last set. I'm just saying the formulas and 1RM calculators don't work for me. My max sucks, it always has. But I have more endurance in my opinion. After I started the program I read that there was another option for the weight %'s so I'm going to try that. Thanks to those who didn't just post to say I need to read a book.
Your assistence work sucks in the first workout. The bench press is NOT a chest movement. Use the truvient or whatever it is in the book. Not the boring but big. You do not build your lifts by doing more of the same. Follow bench and ohp with tris/delts/back work. Follow deadlift and squat with hamstring/post chain/abs work with a lil quad work. It is suppose to be easy at first. Take thest of this week to max on the 4 major lifts. Take 90% of your maxes then use that new number for the percents. Rep out the last set till 1 rep short of failure. Add 5lbs to your bench and ohp each month and 10lbs to your squat and deadlift each month. Eventually this will get hard after 6-10 waves. This program is best used for about a year minimum.

Matt Hatchett

Awards
Until today I didn't even know that the bench press is not a chest movement and I really still don't understand how it's not but you guys obviously know more than I do so I will take your word for it. The plan for the rest of the week is just like you said though, to figure out my true maxes and go from there. Was also thinking of using the Triumvirate that you referred to.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do yourself a favor and go to Youtube and look up Dave Tate's instructional videos on all of the big 3.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wendler disagrees.
No, he doesn't. This is one of the misconceptions of the BBB assistance template (which I am not a fan of for anyone but a beginner) and you also have to remember that 5/3/1 is a not the best competitive PL template out there. That's why there are several different templates depending on the emphasis of the training.

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
Hmmm my bad. I had it in my head that Wendler said BBB was a way to get stronger, but I went back to that section in the book and indeed he does not say that.

So what does BBB bring to the beginner? What are the benefits??

As for me, my goal is simply to get stronger. I want to increase the weights I can put up on the flat bench, deadlift, squat, and press. What do you recommend? What is the best plan to achieve this goal?

Regards,

No, he doesn't. This is one of the misconceptions of the BBB assistance template (which I am not a fan of for anyone but a beginner) and you also have to remember that 5/3/1 is a not the best competitive PL template out there. That's why there are several different templates depending on the emphasis of the training.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmmm my bad. I had it in my head that Wendler said BBB was a way to get stronger, but I went back to that section in the book and indeed he does not say that.

Regards,

If I had to venture a guess (and that is all this is) it would be improving both form and mind-muscle connection. As always, I will defer to Rodja.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Regards,
Volume and discipline mainly. It's a good way to establish a solid base a la Starting Strength, but it isn't the ideal assistance template because it doesn't have the specificity to strengthen weaknesses within the kinetic chain.

wrench3521

Awards
Gonna start off by saying, glad you dropped the 20 bucks for the book. Read it over and over and over until you understand it. I've been doing 531 for the last 18 months solid. The first 8 months were the easiest. I only had to reset my squat. Now my actual "training maxes" are well over my first real maxes. And its much more difficult. My endurance does suck though, as I don't do conditioning consistantly.. If you go to jim wendler .com (no spaces) and read all of his blog stuff, you'll have a better understanding of 531. It is alot, but its worth the read. He talks about how 531 should be done over the course of the year, which is incredibly interesting, among other things and answers q&a about his creation...the 531 program. Don't hesitate to ask Jim your questions. He definitely doesn't tell people what the want to hear only what they need to hear. Fun fact-tone has to do with sound, not muscle definition. Not sure who started the whole "tone" thing, but they are stupid. Oh yea...the bench press conundrum. The bench press is not a dedicated chest movement. You have to stabilize yourself on the bench with your feet, butt and upper back. You have to pull the bar out of the hooks (not press and rotate) with your lats. Then you have to stabilize the weighted bar with your back, shoulders, biceps and forearms. Lower the bar with your lats to your sternum area (lower chest) with a slight tuck in the elbows (read your elbows are not straight out unless you want ****ed up shoulders, also a reason to ditch flyes). Once you touch your chest, press the bar up by driving yourself into the bench with your feet. I think someone mentioned Dave Tate's 6 week bench cure on youtube. Watch it.

Disclaimer--I'm not a diplomat. I do piss people off. Have a nice day.

Matt Hatchett

Awards
Gonna start off by saying, glad you dropped the 20 bucks for the book. Read it over and over and over until you understand it. I've been doing 531 for the last 18 months solid. The first 8 months were the easiest. I only had to reset my squat. Now my actual "training maxes" are well over my first real maxes. And its much more difficult. My endurance does suck though, as I don't do conditioning consistantly.. If you go to jim wendler .com (no spaces) and read all of his blog stuff, you'll have a better understanding of 531. It is alot, but its worth the read. He talks about how 531 should be done over the course of the year, which is incredibly interesting, among other things and answers q&a about his creation...the 531 program. Don't hesitate to ask Jim your questions. He definitely doesn't tell people what the want to hear only what they need to hear. Fun fact-tone has to do with sound, not muscle definition. Not sure who started the whole "tone" thing, but they are stupid. Oh yea...the bench press conundrum. The bench press is not a dedicated chest movement. You have to stabilize yourself on the bench with your feet, butt and upper back. You have to pull the bar out of the hooks (not press and rotate) with your lats. Then you have to stabilize the weighted bar with your back, shoulders, biceps and forearms. Lower the bar with your lats to your sternum area (lower chest) with a slight tuck in the elbows (read your elbows are not straight out unless you want ****ed up shoulders, also a reason to ditch flyes). Once you touch your chest, press the bar up by driving yourself into the bench with your feet. I think someone mentioned Dave Tate's 6 week bench cure on youtube. Watch it.

Disclaimer--I'm not a diplomat. I do piss people off. Have a nice day.
Some of the book is difficult to understand. I have to keep going back to certain sections of the book because it sounds like he is contradicting himself. I bought the 2nd edition book instead of the original hoping it would have more updated info. The assistance work was the biggest issue. I understand how the program works but he recommends different assistance work on every page. I've learned from all of the posts on here that the assistance work may be different to each person due to weakness in certain areas so I guess it's a matter of figuring out what areas I lack in. Then he started talking about rest/pause training and some other programs which gave me a mix of different information.

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
^^ absolutely right. Even more maddening is when you read his many interviews he flat out contradicts himself all the time. I've learned not to look at Wendler's writings too closely; just take the big picture ideas and then see what works for you. Experiment with the accessories and get advice from other experienced lifters who have similar goals as you (or understands you goals).

Just my opinion on the matter. If there were one right answer, then there wouldn't be 2200 posts on the board every day :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is do you think you can deadlift up?
It's been filmed for awhile, but not edited. IMO, the deadlift (especially conventional) is pretty straight-forward with the main issue being width and proximity of the shins to the bar. Sumo is a bit more tricky, but I explain in terms of an inverted squat. The principles are the same (flared knees, arched lumbar, tight upper back, and hips pushed backwards), but the thing that needs to be emphasized more is pulling the slack out of the bar before initializing the pull.

Some of the book is difficult to understand. I have to keep going back to certain sections of the book because it sounds like he is contradicting himself. I bought the 2nd edition book instead of the original hoping it would have more updated info. The assistance work was the biggest issue. I understand how the program works but he recommends different assistance work on every page. I've learned from all of the posts on here that the assistance work may be different to each person due to weakness in certain areas so I guess it's a matter of figuring out what areas I lack in. Then he started talking about rest/pause training and some other programs which gave me a mix of different information.
There is way too much emphasis on how to choose assistance work with 5/3/1. It does not make or break the program, yet it is the main concern. The assistance template that is chosen by the lifter is not the essence of 5/3/1, which is why there is so many options for assistance work.