5/3/1

Page 3 of 3 First 123

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Est1969
    ^^ absolutely right. Even more maddening is when you read his many interviews he flat out contradicts himself all the time. I've learned not to look at Wendler's writings too closely; just take the big picture ideas and then see what works for you. Experiment with the accessories and get advice from other experienced lifters who have similar goals as you (or understands you goals).

    Just my opinion on the matter. If there were one right answer, then there wouldn't be 2200 posts on the board every day
    Couldn't agree more! I found myself reading through it over and over looking for a clear cut answer. I hate trial and error but that seems to be the only way to be successful. I finally just chose my template and I'm going to use assistance work that has worked in the past along with some new things like floor press and some others.


  2. I think the biggest problem is no one really remembers that 531 is not a bodybuilding program. And everyone thinks they have to go crazy with the assistance work. Remember training economy. He may not be consistent on the surface, because he wants you to find the path yourself. Everyones weak points are different. Also, if you truly think his writings and interviews are constant contradiction, why spend the money on the book and why spend time doing his program. You'd be better off using the program of the month from an overpriced bodybuilding magazine.

    Disclaimer--still not a diplomat.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by wrench3521 View Post
    I think the biggest problem is no one really remembers that 531 is not a bodybuilding program. And everyone thinks they have to go crazy with the assistance work. Remember training economy. He may not be consistent on the surface, because he wants you to find the path yourself. Everyones weak points are different. Also, if you truly think his writings and interviews are constant contradiction, why spend the money on the book and why spend time doing his program. You'd be better off using the program of the month from an overpriced bodybuilding magazine.

    Disclaimer--still not a diplomat.
    I do the program because it is simple and it works, and yet I pointed out there are lots of contradictions. For example he says once that Front Squats can be subbed in for Back Squats on Squat day. Later he says absolutely never do that; Back Squats only. It's a clear contradiction, but I'm not going to throw out the baby with the bathwater. My point was just not to get hung up on the little stuff and work with the big points of the 531 program.

    I think the program is very good. I just think Wendler could use an editor.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Est1969 View Post
    For example he says once that Front Squats can be subbed in for Back Squats on Squat day. Later he says absolutely never do that; Back Squats only.
    i've read it prolly 20 times and haven't seen that. is this in the 2nd edition?

  5. Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    i've read it prolly 20 times and haven't seen that. is this in the 2nd edition?
    In the FAQ in both editions, he says you can switch front squats for back squats, but I haven't seen him say no to it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    In the FAQ in both editions, he says you can switch front squats for back squats, but I haven't seen him say no to it.
    hey rodja, yeah i saw that in the faq's i was wondering if he changed something in the 2nd ed.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    hey rodja, yeah i saw that in the faq's i was wondering if he changed something in the 2nd ed.
    I'd have to compare page by page, but I think the main difference is integrating other forms of training (e.g. rest-pause).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  8. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I'd have to compare page by page, but I think the main difference is integrating other forms of training (e.g. rest-pause).
    don't bother for the purpose of this thread it's not a big deal...

  9. Is there a problem with people posting issues or questions about programs? It seems other users come in here posting saying if there's a problem use a different program or blah blah. Didn't know we weren't allowed to discuss issues. Just an observation from a new set of eyes.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    i've read it prolly 20 times and haven't seen that. is this in the 2nd edition?
    In the book (page 70) he says it's ok to use Front Squats as a replacement for Back Squats in 5/3/1 as a main exercise.

    Then in this article: http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...531-questions/

    in question #18 he says "NO" it's not okay to do that, but you can work in Front Squats if you want as an assistance exercise.

    Look...not a big deal. It's just a point in context of a beginner trying to figure all this stuff out it can be a bit confusing when one looks too closely at Wendler. Best to step back and just take in the main points. That's all I'm pointing out.

    Cheers,

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Est1969

    In the book (page 70) he says it's ok to use Front Squats as a replacement for Back Squats in 5/3/1 as a main exercise.

    Then in this article: http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...531-questions/

    in question #18 he says "NO" it's not okay to do that, but you can work in Front Squats if you want as an assistance exercise.

    Look...not a big deal. It's just a point in context of a beginner trying to figure all this stuff out it can be a bit confusing when one looks too closely at Wendler. Best to step back and just take in the main points. That's all I'm pointing out.

    Cheers,
    Good catch bro...
  •   

      
     

Log in
Log in