how many reps when cutting?

1. Registered User

how many reps when cutting?

Hi guys. Thanks for all your previous help.

I might start cutting in about 2 or 3 months, so should I continue doing my 6-8 reps and adding more weights; I am trying to keep on as much muscle as possible, but I even heard you gain more sometimes when cutting; not sure how this is possible. lol.

Anyhow, I was a skinny kid (6ft 170ish) and now I am 210ish. But I want to shed a bit of fat before I continue my next bulking cycle. So, what should I do? more reps for pumps? or keep going heavy at 6-8?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

lets totally throw your body a curve ball. do 3-5 reps for main compound movements. and 10-20 reps for accessory work.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

there is no one right answer, some like heavy low rep movements to keep strength and some like moderate 6-12 rep movements. i would personally still lift as hard as you would while bulking and incorporate circuit training
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Do exactly what you've been doing. The only thing that should really change besides some slight volume adjustments are cardio and calories.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    Do exactly what you've been doing. The only thing that should really change besides some slight volume adjustments are cardio and calories.
    I wouldn't say "exactly". When I'm cutting I do the same rep ranges I'm currently working in but cut rests in half.

Just up the tempo of your entire workout and you'll cut.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.

Yeah I'd keep it around the same maybe add one or two burnout reps of 12-15 at the end of your workout. It's all about diet, I like to lift heavy 6-8 year round and add in about a month of high reps hear and there.
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahl View Post
    I wouldn't say "exactly". When I'm cutting I do the same rep ranges I'm currently working in but cut rests in half.

Why wouldn't you be doing that tempo while bulking (assuming the intensity is the same)?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

i agree
    www.lgsciences.com
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

Why wouldn't you be doing that tempo while bulking (assuming the intensity is the same)?
    Intensity and tempo are different animals. I can lift I intensely with longer resting periods between sets. Longer rests allows for stronger lifts with more time for recovery. Shorter rest will increase heart rate thoroughly the workout. When I'm bulking I'm looking for heavier lifts and benefit from longer rest period. High tempo training is the bulk of my cutting. I do very little running ect.
  10. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Intensity and tempo are different animals. I can lift I intensely with longer resting periods between sets. Longer rests allows for stronger lifts with more time for recovery. Shorter rest will increase heart rate thoroughly the workout. When I'm bulking I'm looking for heavier lifts and benefit from longer rest period. High tempo training is the bulk of my cutting. I do very little running ect.
    Then you're changing more than just the tempo; you're also changing the intensity, which I am not a fan of doing while cutting. That's more than just a small change to your lifting.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

Then you're changing more than just the tempo; you're also changing the intensity, which I am not a fan of doing while cutting. That's more than just a small change to your lifting.
    So your are saying that it's impossible to increase tempo without increasing intensity? Sounds like mincing words to me.

However it works well for me with the limited time I have for cardio as well as old and busted joints that don't tolerate running well.
  12. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

So your are saying that it's impossible to increase tempo without increasing intensity? Sounds like mincing words to me.

However it works well for me with the limited time I have for cardio as well as old and busted joints that don't tolerate running well.
    No, I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that you're actually lowering the intensity (in terms of percentage) of the session because you're not using the same amount of weight, which is changing two elements of training and not just one.

I see no reason to change anything in your lifting between "bulking" and "cutting" phases (BTW, I hate those terms) because it is primarily the calories, not the training, that determines the success of each. By defition, you'd be changing 3 things in your scenario (calories, tempo, and intensity) and it's very difficult to say which one would be causing the change(s) because there is so much interaction between them.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

No, I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that you're actually lowering the intensity (in terms of percentage) of the session because you're not using the same amount of weight.
    I'm not saying I would intentionally lower weights but in reality less reps will likely be achieved due to less rest.

Circuit type training and HIIT have been shown to elevate metabolism for longer periods of time than steady state cardio, which I never do.

Some "intensity" may be lost in less reps achieved but it should be more than offset by the increase in tempo.
  14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I'm not saying I would intentionally lower weights but in reality less reps will likely be achieved due to less rest.

Circuit type training and HIIT have been shown to elevate metabolism for longer periods of time than steady state cardio, which I never do.

Some "intensity" may be lost in less reps achieved but it should be more than offset by the increase in tempo.
    Technically, all lifting is HIIT and which type of cardio is a completely different discussion altogether.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    No, I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that you're actually lowering the intensity (in terms of percentage) of the session because you're not using the same amount of weight, which is changing two elements of training and not just one.

I see no reason to change anything in your lifting between "bulking" and "cutting" phases (BTW, I hate those terms) because it is primarily the calories, not the training, that determines the success of each. By defition, you'd be changing 3 things in your scenario (calories, tempo, and intensity) and it's very difficult to say which one would be causing the change(s) because there is so much interaction between them.
    also agree'd
    www.lgsciences.com
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  282 lbs.

On a cut, diet calories/macros would be the main change & increase cardio gradually week by week; losing anything more than 2 lbs. a week would be TOO much.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech

also agree'd
    Lol. Doesn't that contradict your earlier agree?
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

I don't relate "bulking or cutting" to training either. It's all diet.

In my scenario I'm changing caloric expenditure and caloric intake.

My training changes constantly. I'm old I can't lift heavy endlessly so my rep ranges and weights need to change regularly. My diet only changes when I'm cutting and even then it's mostly a macro shift.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

Lol. Doesn't that contradict your earlier agree?
    no....i prefer a low rest training method between sets, but i do agree that ones training (lifting) should not change as a result of gaining or losing weight. the op's question tells that he may be under the impression that a high rep way of training is a "cut" way of lifting which sadly is promoted throughout the masses.
    www.lgsciences.com
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech

no....i prefer a low rest training method between sets, but i do agree that ones training (lifting) should not change as a result of gaining or losing weight. the op's question tells that he may be under the impression that a high rep way of training is a "cut" way of lifting which sadly is promoted throughout the masses.
    Oh I wholeheartedly agree with that. I get that question from kids at the gym a lot. "I don't do high reps because I don't want to cut" drives me nuts. Lol
  21. Registered User

I just finished watching a video by this guy "somanabolic Muscle Maximizer And All Bonus Programs" if you google it you will see it. Its pretty much some crap you pay for.

Anyhow, during the presentation of the video, it said the possibly worst thing you can do is bulk and cut because your body will produce new fat cells and you will gain fat faster in the long run. (fat cell hyperplasia) Now, I got mixed feelings about bulking and cutting.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. incline barbell bench 225lbs for 7 reps + 2 forced reps
    By danthamansky in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 01:49 PM
  2. Reps per Sets, bulking cycle vs cutting
    By Iron_Clad in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2011, 12:07 PM
  3. Low reps or High reps for bicep peak?
    By W13NY in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 06:28 PM
  4. Is High reps, more sets good for cutting?
    By akjose in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 06:27 PM