how many reps when cutting?

willc86

Awards
Hi guys. Thanks for all your previous help.

I might start cutting in about 2 or 3 months, so should I continue doing my 6-8 reps and adding more weights; I am trying to keep on as much muscle as possible, but I even heard you gain more sometimes when cutting; not sure how this is possible. lol.

Anyhow, I was a skinny kid (6ft 170ish) and now I am 210ish. But I want to shed a bit of fat before I continue my next bulking cycle. So, what should I do? more reps for pumps? or keep going heavy at 6-8?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
lets totally throw your body a curve ball. do 3-5 reps for main compound movements. and 10-20 reps for accessory work.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
there is no one right answer, some like heavy low rep movements to keep strength and some like moderate 6-12 rep movements. i would personally still lift as hard as you would while bulking and incorporate circuit training

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do exactly what you've been doing. The only thing that should really change besides some slight volume adjustments are cardio and calories.

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established
Do exactly what you've been doing. The only thing that should really change besides some slight volume adjustments are cardio and calories.
I wouldn't say "exactly". When I'm cutting I do the same rep ranges I'm currently working in but cut rests in half.

Just up the tempo of your entire workout and you'll cut.

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
Yeah I'd keep it around the same maybe add one or two burnout reps of 12-15 at the end of your workout. It's all about diet, I like to lift heavy 6-8 year round and add in about a month of high reps hear and there.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't say "exactly". When I'm cutting I do the same rep ranges I'm currently working in but cut rests in half.

Why wouldn't you be doing that tempo while bulking (assuming the intensity is the same)?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards

i agree

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established
Why wouldn't you be doing that tempo while bulking (assuming the intensity is the same)?
Intensity and tempo are different animals. I can lift I intensely with longer resting periods between sets. Longer rests allows for stronger lifts with more time for recovery. Shorter rest will increase heart rate thoroughly the workout. When I'm bulking I'm looking for heavier lifts and benefit from longer rest period. High tempo training is the bulk of my cutting. I do very little running ect.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Intensity and tempo are different animals. I can lift I intensely with longer resting periods between sets. Longer rests allows for stronger lifts with more time for recovery. Shorter rest will increase heart rate thoroughly the workout. When I'm bulking I'm looking for heavier lifts and benefit from longer rest period. High tempo training is the bulk of my cutting. I do very little running ect.
Then you're changing more than just the tempo; you're also changing the intensity, which I am not a fan of doing while cutting. That's more than just a small change to your lifting.

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established
Then you're changing more than just the tempo; you're also changing the intensity, which I am not a fan of doing while cutting. That's more than just a small change to your lifting.
So your are saying that it's impossible to increase tempo without increasing intensity? Sounds like mincing words to me.

However it works well for me with the limited time I have for cardio as well as old and busted joints that don't tolerate running well. :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So your are saying that it's impossible to increase tempo without increasing intensity? Sounds like mincing words to me.

However it works well for me with the limited time I have for cardio as well as old and busted joints that don't tolerate running well. :)
No, I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that you're actually lowering the intensity (in terms of percentage) of the session because you're not using the same amount of weight, which is changing two elements of training and not just one.

I see no reason to change anything in your lifting between "bulking" and "cutting" phases (BTW, I hate those terms) because it is primarily the calories, not the training, that determines the success of each. By defition, you'd be changing 3 things in your scenario (calories, tempo, and intensity) and it's very difficult to say which one would be causing the change(s) because there is so much interaction between them.

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established
No, I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that you're actually lowering the intensity (in terms of percentage) of the session because you're not using the same amount of weight.
I'm not saying I would intentionally lower weights but in reality less reps will likely be achieved due to less rest.

Circuit type training and HIIT have been shown to elevate metabolism for longer periods of time than steady state cardio, which I never do.

Some "intensity" may be lost in less reps achieved but it should be more than offset by the increase in tempo.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not saying I would intentionally lower weights but in reality less reps will likely be achieved due to less rest.

Circuit type training and HIIT have been shown to elevate metabolism for longer periods of time than steady state cardio, which I never do.

Some "intensity" may be lost in less reps achieved but it should be more than offset by the increase in tempo.
Technically, all lifting is HIIT and which type of cardio is a completely different discussion altogether.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
No, I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that you're actually lowering the intensity (in terms of percentage) of the session because you're not using the same amount of weight, which is changing two elements of training and not just one.

I see no reason to change anything in your lifting between "bulking" and "cutting" phases (BTW, I hate those terms) because it is primarily the calories, not the training, that determines the success of each. By defition, you'd be changing 3 things in your scenario (calories, tempo, and intensity) and it's very difficult to say which one would be causing the change(s) because there is so much interaction between them.
also agree'd

johnny75

Awards
On a cut, diet calories/macros would be the main change & increase cardio gradually week by week; losing anything more than 2 lbs. a week would be TOO much.

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established

I don't relate "bulking or cutting" to training either. It's all diet.

In my scenario I'm changing caloric expenditure and caloric intake.

My training changes constantly. I'm old I can't lift heavy endlessly so my rep ranges and weights need to change regularly. My diet only changes when I'm cutting and even then it's mostly a macro shift.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Lol. Doesn't that contradict your earlier agree?
no....i prefer a low rest training method between sets, but i do agree that ones training (lifting) should not change as a result of gaining or losing weight. the op's question tells that he may be under the impression that a high rep way of training is a "cut" way of lifting which sadly is promoted throughout the masses.

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established
no....i prefer a low rest training method between sets, but i do agree that ones training (lifting) should not change as a result of gaining or losing weight. the op's question tells that he may be under the impression that a high rep way of training is a "cut" way of lifting which sadly is promoted throughout the masses.
Oh I wholeheartedly agree with that. I get that question from kids at the gym a lot. "I don't do high reps because I don't want to cut" drives me nuts. Lol

willc86

Awards
I just finished watching a video by this guy "somanabolic Muscle Maximizer And All Bonus Programs" if you google it you will see it. Its pretty much some crap you pay for.

Anyhow, during the presentation of the video, it said the possibly worst thing you can do is bulk and cut because your body will produce new fat cells and you will gain fat faster in the long run. (fat cell hyperplasia) Now, I got mixed feelings about bulking and cutting.