Stats
    6'4"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.95%

6 foot 4 at 170lbs

Name:  2012-05-15 18.41.51.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  48.4 KBalright guys i want some opinions on how im doin. Ive been stuck at this 170lb mark for over 2 or 3 months now and it wont budge. Ive been using m5 extreme which is the first creatine ive ever used and its helped me increase strength quite a bit but no weight.

a few of my stats right now are 6'4 170lbs
    Bench- 85lb dumbells X5 reps on last set of 4
    Hammer curls- 50lbs x8 reps on the last set of 4
    eazy bar curl - 90lbs X8
    seated cable rows - 165lbs X11 reps
    lat pulldown 150lbs X7
    skullcrushers - 90lbs X6 reps on last set of 4.

i dont have any stats for deadlift and squats because i go light because of my back.

do these seem decent at 170lbs and being so damn tall? thanks guys

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.39%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Eat more

/thread
  3. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.41%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

At 6'4" 170lb you're underweight, man. And just because you want to be careful about your back doesn't mean you have to go light on squats and deads - like anybody else you just have to focus on form. Unless you're back is injured, in which case I'm surprised you can handle seated cable rows.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.95%

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    At 6'4" 170lb you're underweight, man. And just because you want to be careful about your back doesn't mean you have to go light on squats and deads - like anybody else you just have to focus on form. Unless you're back is injured, in which case I'm surprised you can handle seated cable rows.
    i have good form it just really hurts my lower back to do tbar rows, dead lifts, and squats....im gonna go heavy on squats tomorrow and see

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    Eat more

/thread
    i try. its just so expensive man. especially to eat clean like i do
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.95%

and yeah i know 170 is light but alot has to do with my legs lol they are quite small including calves...if my legs were equivalent to my upper body i should be around 185
  6. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.39%

Even at 185, at your height you would be a bean pole. Don't worry about eating super clean. Just eat. That is if your goal is getting bigger.

All these supps will amount to NOTHING, if you are not taking down the required calories.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.95%

Even at 185, at your height you would be a bean pole. Don't worry about eating super clean. Just eat. That is if your goal is getting bigger.

All these supps will amount to NOTHING, if you are not taking down the required calories.
    i dont think i look like a bean pole besides my legs though..

well i have to eat clean to keep my cholesterol levels down
  8. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.39%

Quote Originally Posted by bigjigga View Post
    i dont think i look like a bean pole besides my legs though..

well i have to eat clean to keep my cholesterol levels down
    I can't say one way or another without knowing your definition of clean, or what you are eating. You will not gain weight, if you don't eat more. So you need to ask yourself if you really want to get bigger, or if other factors dictate you remain at 170lbs.

Good luck!!
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.95%

I can't say one way or another without knowing your definition of clean, or what you are eating. You will not gain weight, if you don't eat more. So you need to ask yourself if you really want to get bigger, or if other factors dictate you remain at 170lbs.

Good luck!!
    oatmeal, eggs, organic chicken breast, whey protein for shakes, 96%lean beef , brocolli, spaghetti, greek yogurt....thats what i eat every single day
  10. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.39%

Where is the fat?
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.95%

Where is the fat?
    i put olive oil in my protein shakes...whats some good fat youd suggest because i have thought about that and know im lacking it
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.85%

Peanut butter and milk are your friend here...
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.95%

Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Peanut butter and milk are your friend here...
    yeah sorry i left some stuff out...i typically eat atleast 1 or 2 pb&js a day..and i buy organic RAW fresh milk from a farm which is very high in good fat
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.85%

Quote Originally Posted by bigjigga

yeah sorry i left some stuff out...i typically eat atleast 1 or 2 pb&js a day..and i buy organic RAW fresh milk from a farm which is very high in good fat
    Eat more, drink more milk. Proven formula...
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.85%

And cheese, don't forget cheese. And bacon...
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  156 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.86%

add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to your shake in the morning too. thats an extra 240 calories right there
  17. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.41%

i buy organic RAW fresh milk from a farm which is very high in good fat
    I gotta say, I'm jealous of this - I haven't been able to find raw milk anywhere in my area, and that stuff is awesome.

And for the record, man, I was essentially in the same boat as you when I started lifting. I weighed 181 at 6'4" and my Dr. pretty much demanded I gain some weight before he'd approve my sports physical.

Eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, milk, tons of various meat and constantly sipping on protein shakes/eating nuts got me up to 205 in a couple of months.
    My caloric intake was around 4200/day at the time, and the weight I gained was pretty much all muscle.

Also, as a tall lifter, I highly suggest you spend some time analyzing videos of people squatting and deadlifting. Then record yourself doing sq/dls, compare to the other videos and correct any differences you see. It made a world of difference when I first started and I still do this if/when I feel my form is slipping.

***NOW @ NP***
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.45%

I agree with the above comments, but they seem to be kinda vague.

You need to do some research, and learn about nutrition and proper macronutrients ratios for bulking. I and i'm sure many other people on the forum would be willing to help. M5 isn't going to make you magically gain weight... sure it'll help with strength because of the creatine, but all it is, is a pre-workout. Bulking is probably 80% nutrition. Are you even using a protein supplement?
  19. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.39%

Quote Originally Posted by MusclestoGo View Post

You need to do some research, and learn about nutrition and proper macronutrients ratios for bulking. I and i'm sure many other people on the forum would be willing to help. M5 isn't going to make you magically gain weight... sure it'll help with strength because of the creatine, but all it is, is a pre-workout. Bulking is probably 80% nutrition. Are you even using a protein supplement?
    When you are that underweight it is not really as crucial. Just ****ing eat. Stop trying to major in the minors.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.45%

Edit: hah that's what i get for not reading all the posts. But just like Frank Reynolds said, it's a question of priorities.. if you really wanna bulk then it's going to take calories.
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.45%

When you are that underweight it is not really as crucial. Just ****ing eat. Stop trying to major in the minors.
    Agreed. However if he's an ectomorph, which he definitely looks to be one, gains are a lot tougher.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.95%

I gotta say, I'm jealous of this - I haven't been able to find raw milk anywhere in my area, and that stuff is awesome.

And for the record, man, I was essentially in the same boat as you when I started lifting. I weighed 181 at 6'4" and my Dr. pretty much demanded I gain some weight before he'd approve my sports physical.

Eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, milk, tons of various meat and constantly sipping on protein shakes/eating nuts got me up to 205 in a couple of months.
    My caloric intake was around 4200/day at the time, and the weight I gained was pretty much all muscle.

Also, as a tall lifter, I highly suggest you spend some time analyzing videos of people squatting and deadlifting. Then record yourself doing sq/dls, compare to the other videos and correct any differences you see. It made a world of difference when I first started and I still do this if/when I feel my form is slipping.
    yeah man the raw milk is the bomb i actually get it from my chiropractor lol
    and thanks for the advice i appreciate it..i just need to stick with eating alot and not worry about the money,..what kind of nuts you reccomend though?

thanks man , and i just use whey , no mass gainers
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.76%
    Achievements Posting Pro

20 rep squats, high rep/ lower weight GM's for back health, and GOMAD. Give it 6 months and don't worry about seeing your abs. I promise it'll work. When you hit upwards of 20x250 you'll be surprised what happens to your bodyweight, not to mention you're mental toughness.
  24. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.41%

yeah man the raw milk is the bomb i actually get it from my chiropractor lol
    and thanks for the advice i appreciate it..i just need to stick with eating alot and not worry about the money,..what kind of nuts you reccomend though?
    Take your pick - Almonds and walnuts are typically recognized as the "healthiest", but it's not like other nuts are bad for you. I usually eat a mix with almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts, macadamias, peanuts and cashews.

***NOW @ NP***
  25. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.5%

Gotta agree with all the previous posts, eat, eat, and eat some more. I'm 6'4" as well, back in high school I was about 180lbs, after 4 years of eating and training hard Im up to 215lbs Dont be scared to put some fat on, you can always cut down later. I must say say from the stats you posted for the certain lifts, your pretty strong for your weight, meaning you can only go forward once the weight starts coming on. Dont give up hope and eat away!
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.95%

Quote Originally Posted by mngli View Post
    Gotta agree with all the previous posts, eat, eat, and eat some more. I'm 6'4" as well, back in high school I was about 180lbs, after 4 years of eating and training hard Im up to 215lbs Dont be scared to put some fat on, you can always cut down later. I must say say from the stats you posted for the certain lifts, your pretty strong for your weight, meaning you can only go forward once the weight starts coming on. Dont give up hope and eat away!
    thank you bro appreciate it
  27. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.8%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Eat Eat Eat & Eat. Ive spoken to a lot of people who are adamant they just cannot gain weight no matter HOW much they eat. So one day I decided I would monitor their calorie intakes and they were just FAR too low. People often assume they are eating a lot when in fact they just aren't.

Start monitoring your intakes and planning your macros. You'll be suprised at how different you think your intake is compared to actual intakes.
    I usually drank a shake between meals and adding in things like ground almonds, milk, protein, Greek yogurt, olive oil, bananas, ground oats etc. made a huge amount of difference.

Hope this helps.
  28. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.07%

I got recruited to play water polo out of high school because of my speed, when i got there it was quite evident that i was undersized, i was 6'4" 185. I was told to eat around the clock, if one of my coaches saw me around campus without food in my hand it meant more sprints and lifting. I peaked just before junior year at 245 without losing my speed. My friends were bulk chicken breasts and any type of meat i could get my hands on, combine that with lots and lots of brown rice and homemade spaghetti sauces to give variety. When we calculated what i was taking in a day it was around 12,500 calories, not trying to sound like a dick, but i doubt you are anywhere near that. So like so many have echoed EAT EAT EAT.
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.25%
    Achievements Activity Pro

eat more and don't worry so much about eating super clean **** all that organic ****. get u a 5lb tube of 80/20 ground beef a couple 18packs of eggs and some whole milk and eat till ur so full that ur ready to puke
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.5%

Besides the eating thing that everybody is getting at, I think one of the major problems here is that you only squat and deadlift light because of your back. Start progressing weight each week with good form on your squat and deadlift, start light so you can build your back up and strengthen it. I don't know if anyone has ever gotten huge without heavy deadlifts and squats, and drink a gallon of whole milk a day. it will work wonders.
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.45%

Quote Originally Posted by IronRedbird58 View Post
    Besides the eating thing that everybody is getting at, I think one of the major problems here is that you only squat and deadlift light because of your back. Start progressing weight each week with good form on your squat and deadlift, start light so you can build your back up and strengthen it. I don't know if anyone has ever gotten huge without heavy deadlifts and squats, and drink a gallon of whole milk a day. it will work wonders.
    Milks good for you, but that is a lot of dairy fat!
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.5%

Milks good for you, but that is a lot of dairy fat!
    I don't think you should be worrying about consuming too much fat when you weigh 170 lbs. at 6'4.
  33. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.41%

Drinking that much milk would destroy my stomach.

***NOW @ NP***
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.45%

Quote Originally Posted by IronRedbird58 View Post
    I don't think you should be worrying about consuming too much fat when you weigh 170 lbs. at 6'4.
    Ok, but that much fat isn't good for you because it's not essential. There are much easier ways of gaining weight than consuming a gallon of milk. At his weight, he'd probably put about 10 pounds on in 2 weeks.
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.53%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Agreed. However if he's an ectomorph, which he definitely looks to be one, gains are a lot tougher.
    No they are not, they just require more calories... if eating more is tougher than fine, other than that - this is a simple calorie intake issue.
    Log of EPIC by FRL - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/202576-should-epic-frl.html
  36. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.83%

add more calories
  37. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.66%

Milk, oats and olive oil are your best friend. I've been drinking a gallon of milk on and off for the past six months and came from 175 to 192 still staying lean it does wounders...still skinny....also train legs hard
  38. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.45%

Quote Originally Posted by StangBanger View Post
    No they are not, they just require more calories... if eating more is tougher than fine, other than that - this is a simple calorie intake issue.
    I agree, it may just take a little longer and require more effort.
  39. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.41%

Ok, but that much fat isn't good for you because it's not essential. There are much easier ways of gaining weight than consuming a gallon of milk. At his weight, he'd probably put about 10 pounds on in 2 weeks.
    What? Carbs aren't essential either, but they're still darn helpful. And, OP already established he has access to raw milk; hard to beat that stuff.

***NOW @ NP***
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.45%

What? Carbs aren't essential either, but they're still darn helpful. And, OP already established he has access to raw milk; hard to beat that stuff.
    That's true, i'm sorry i didn't word it right. I forgot he mentioned the milk earlier too.
    For everyone whose mentioned this gallon of whole milk thing- how were the results? and did it make you sick to the stomach? … Just curious, i may give it a try

Similar Forum Threads

1. 140-170lbs I miss being hungry
    By booya123 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 05:57 PM
  2. 5'7" 170lbs
    By rob561 in forum Pics
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 01-29-2009, 09:51 PM
  3. 15 5'10 170lbs
    By swanee609 in forum Pics
    Replies: 2