PLATEAU/ bulking trouble...

stonay

Awards
Hey Guys!

over the last month that i have been training i have been noticing i have been plateau-ing (staying on the same weights and not really gaining size or strength). Im trying to bulk by eating clean foods;
e.g an average day would be

breakfast - 125g oats
- banana
- 24g protein
- 1-2 egg whites

mid morning - 200g steamed vegetables (broccoli, sweet potato, carrots)

Lunch - 200g Quinoa with 180g tuna OR 150g brown rice with 150g lean chicken

mid afternoon - SAME AS MID MORNING

dinner - either 250g pasta or steak

i train 5 days a week Chest, Back, day off, legs, shoulders,arms, day off

first 2 sets most days are 4 sets 4-6 reps (for power/strength) then the next 4 exercises are 3 sets 6-8 reps.

i can go into further detail about the training regime i have if you would like? but those are the basics and normally have carbs (vertago) and Xtend (BCAA's) during my workout and cassein protein and carbs after workout also. On average i have 3000+ calories per day and im just wondering if you guys can give any insight into how i can break down this barrier that i have it, it is driving me insane. Even if its to chance up my rep ranges and sets (which i have thought about) or totally overhaul my workouts all together.

THANKS

purebred

why not do a deload? scale back on your compound weights 10% and start back up from there.

stonay

Awards
why not do a deload? scale back on your compound weights 10% and start back up from there.
sorry to sound like a dumbass here, but what do you mean? up the reps and lower the weights?

MooseLoRoose

MooseLoRoose

Awards
This is such a difficult question to answer. I've been a trainer for 10 years and I always get very complex questions that literally may take weeks to figure out. But I'll give you some advice. Your body needs change to see change. Think about training first. Sounds like you keep you routine the same as far as first two exercises are heavier, then you move on and go a little lighter and more reps. You need to overhaul your training. Look up Intensification/Accumulation training by Charles Poliquin. I started using it months ago along with some clients with great success. You can still do a bodypart a day split with it, it just changes your intensity and volume which are the two most important variables to closely monitor if you wanna get bigger and stronger without overtraining. I would take a week off and start it completely fresh. And as for nutrition I would really concentrate on your pre, intra, and post-workout window the most. You can really set your body up for growth if you do it right. Pre-workout put 2 servings of xtend in a liter of gatorade. Sip a quarter of it 20min pre-workout, and then the rest during your workout in 12min intervals. After your workout you should have a pre-made shaker cup ready of 1 scoop of great quality whey isolates like Dymatize ISO 100 and 1 scoop of casein. And 60grams of dextose powder or maltodextrin... Have that immediately after!!!! Next is the 4 hour window PWO. 1 hour after your shake have a meal of 30grams of lean protein and fast digesting carbs (white rice, white potatoes, sweet potatoes- yes sweet potatoes have a higher glycemic index) and if you don't wanna eat healthy that's fine cause ice cream, cake, donuts also work best at this time. 2 hours after this have another meal just like it... Try to get in at least 60-100 grams of carbs at both meals with 30grams of protein. Don't be skeptical just give it a try. If your workout is hardcore all the sugar will replenish your glycogen and none will be coverted to fat. Good luck

stonay

Awards
This is such a difficult question to answer. I've been a trainer for 10 years and I always get very complex questions that literally may take weeks to figure out. But I'll give you some advice. Your body needs change to see change. Think about training first. Sounds like you keep you routine the same as far as first two exercises are heavier, then you move on and go a little lighter and more reps. You need to overhaul your training. Look up Intensification/Accumulation training by Charles Poliquin. I started using it months ago along with some clients with great success. You can still do a bodypart a day split with it, it just changes your intensity and volume which are the two most important variables to closely monitor if you wanna get bigger and stronger without overtraining. I would take a week off and start it completely fresh. And as for nutrition I would really concentrate on your pre, intra, and post-workout window the most. You can really set your body up for growth if you do it right. Pre-workout put 2 servings of xtend in a liter of gatorade. Sip a quarter of it 20min pre-workout, and then the rest during your workout in 12min intervals. After your workout you should have a pre-made shaker cup ready of 1 scoop of great quality whey isolates like Dymatize ISO 100 and 1 scoop of casein. And 60grams of dextose powder or maltodextrin... Have that immediately after!!!! Next is the 4 hour window PWO. 1 hour after your shake have a meal of 30grams of lean protein and fast digesting carbs (white rice, white potatoes, sweet potatoes- yes sweet potatoes have a higher glycemic index) and if you don't wanna eat healthy that's fine cause ice cream, cake, donuts also work best at this time. 2 hours after this have another meal just like it... Try to get in at least 60-100 grams of carbs at both meals with 30grams of protein. Don't be skeptical just give it a try. If your workout is hardcore all the sugar will replenish your glycogen and none will be coverted to fat. Good luck
thanks for the indepth reply!! i will look this up immediately! greatly appreciaty it, im just wondering what dextose poweder is? is it similar to the vertago (supplement carbs?) or is it totally different? and i do currently have "proto whey". Thanks again :)

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
you said 250g pasta or steak....does that mean if you dont eat steak you only eat pasta?

purebred

Lower the weights by 10% (rep scheme remains the same) and just build back up from there. You can also attempt to increase your calories by 500 and/or do both. Don't overthink it.

MooseLoRoose

MooseLoRoose

Awards
Dextrose is a simple sugar its really cheap..

uvawahoowa

Awards
Hey Guys!

over the last month that i have been training i have been noticing i have been plateau-ing (staying on the same weights and not really gaining size or strength). Im trying to bulk by eating clean foods;
e.g an average day would be

breakfast - 125g oats
- banana
- 24g protein
- 1-2 egg whites

mid morning - 200g steamed vegetables (broccoli, sweet potato, carrots)

Lunch - 200g Quinoa with 180g tuna OR 150g brown rice with 150g lean chicken

mid afternoon - SAME AS MID MORNING

dinner - either 250g pasta or steak

i train 5 days a week Chest, Back, day off, legs, shoulders,arms, day off

first 2 sets most days are 4 sets 4-6 reps (for power/strength) then the next 4 exercises are 3 sets 6-8 reps.

i can go into further detail about the training regime i have if you would like? but those are the basics and normally have carbs (vertago) and Xtend (BCAA's) during my workout and cassein protein and carbs after workout also. On average i have 3000+ calories per day and im just wondering if you guys can give any insight into how i can break down this barrier that i have it, it is driving me insane. Even if its to chance up my rep ranges and sets (which i have thought about) or totally overhaul my workouts all together.

THANKS
Not enough fat/protein...overall calories bro. This is most likely the reason. Secondary reason may be you're in need of a deload, but I'd look at your diet and preworkout nutrition first.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 4
Training Forum 1
Anabolics 2
twarrior212 Pro Bodybuilding 6
Nutrition / Health 6