Stronglifts 5x5 for women?

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.13%

Stronglifts 5x5 for women?

One of my friends has been very interested in how I've changed my physique doing Stronglifts and (SHE) wants to give it a try and has asked me to teach her the exercises.

Just wanted to check in: there's no reason why women should not do this program, is there? I only ask because never in 20 years of lifting have I ever seen a woman do a overhead press, or a deadlift. Only once in a blue moon do I witness one doing squats. Is there a reason for this, or is it just bias against free weights? No offense to any women that do these...I just have never seen it happen myself.

I'm inclined to teach her the exercises and can't help but think Stronglifts would be a great program for women to not only increase strength, but also increase bone density, etc.

Am I missing something??

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.75%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Est1969
    One of my friends has been very interested in how I've changed my physique doing Stronglifts and (SHE) wants to give it a try and has asked me to teach her the exercises.

Just wanted to check in: there's no reason why women should not do this program, is there? I only ask because never in 20 years of lifting have I ever seen a woman do a overhead press, or a deadlift. Only once in a blue moon do I witness one doing squats. Is there a reason for this, or is it just bias against free weights? No offense to any women that do these...I just have never seen it happen myself.

I'm inclined to teach her the exercises and can't help but think Stronglifts would be a great program for women to not only increase strength, but also increase bone density, etc.

Am I missing something??
    There are plenty of women who powerlift. Most girls avoid lifting weight that they consider heavy because they don't want to become "bulky." I say i she is willing to learn help teach her.
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Funny, I see women deadlifting all the time at my gyms, and I lift in gyms packed with underweight and/or skinny-fat pussies.

At any rate, 5x5 is great for anyone, including women. My friend put his girl on 5x5 and she saw some rapid gains off of that program. With the exception of her deadlift, in her I think 2-3 years of training she is the strongest girl I know, personally, with a squat of around 300 for reps and a bench of 180+ for reps. She can bent over row a good amount, too. I think she last boasted a 200-250 bent over row?
    •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. 5x5 Stronglifts
    By Bryn in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 02:23 PM
  2. lemons stronglifts 5x5 practical workout log
    By lemon in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 03:12 PM
  3. Stronglifts or starting strength ???
    By Machwon1 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman