Schwarzenegger's Old School Bodybuilding Workout

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by coofoostu
    haha "sauce" thats cool, thanks for the description.
    I always hated that name for some reason.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Back to Arnolds old workout. Honestly, the more I look at that workout, the more I realize how much of a genetic freak he is. I don't care what kind of juice you're taking, his workouts would make my body decompose itself via lactic acid. I'd melt away like that wicked witch in the Wizard of Oz. Does anybody know if he would kinda break between body parts? Eat, etc?
  3. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.01%

i remember when i bought that book when i was younger and thought "wow, this is how much work it takes to get big?". i did it though for a few weeks and made some gains but mentally i was fried.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36%

I used to train clients at a fitness facility owned by Hilligen (Mr. America in the '70s). He said that whatever everyone else did Arnold did 10x more. For example, there was a meeting of sorts with Larry Scott and some of the other big time bodybuilders of the day in the mid to late '60s. They were all comtemplating upping the Dyanabol doseage from 5 to 10 mg because they were all cautious of the side effects involved. Arnold was taking 25mg at the time with apparently no concern. They also used to use apple cider vinegar to help burn bodyfat. While most of the athletes would work up to a tablespoon at a time, Arnold was downing bottles at a time. In short, Arnold did whatever it took to be the best he could be and his training and "supplement" routine reflected that.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.54%

Quote Originally Posted by Brodus
    As in wide-waisted? Explain...or let's start a new thread?!

I'll admit, I haven't seen him in a lot of contests, but in terms of mass I've seen from photos and his video, it's scary...and so his his man/woman training partner...wow...she'd beat most lower-weight class men...and that's only in the beard-judging competition.
    damn, haven't visited this thread in a while. ruhl's biceps overshadow his triceps, big time. his shoulders could use a little work as well. not to mention his blocky waist. no doubt, he's huge, but he needs better symmetry to be a contender.
  6. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.19%

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    damn, haven't visited this thread in a while. ruhl's biceps overshadow his triceps, big time. his shoulders could use a little work as well. not to mention his blocky waist. no doubt, he's huge, but he needs better symmetry to be a contender.
    I agree. He's a massive son of a bitch, but his proportions and symmetry could be better. He's great for freak factor though.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.52%

When anyone talks about old-school bodybuilders using SERMs and stuff you gotta realize drugs like we have today weren't necessarily availabe, it wasn't like you could go online and order 3 bottles of Letrozole or something. I also think the moderate dosages thing is a bit off. Sure they might not have been doing some of the CRAZY dosages some guys in your gym might be using but I doubt they were pulling any punches at an effective dose. You gotta remember that there were LOTS of would-be bodybuilders and the guys who didn't make the lineup were using the same drugs the guys who DID make it were using. It just so happens that the reason the guys who didn't make the lineup might not have made it is because they had a susceptability to the sides (water retention, MPB, BPH, *GYNO*) that the top guys simply didn't have. Think about it. Would Arnold be as famous today if he had a mammoth pair of jugs? If he were one of those individuals who were prone to sides we would be talking about someone else who wasn't prone to those sides, maybe Sergio Oliva or Mike Mentzer. In retrospect its easy to say things about the top guys because none of them had gyno... well thats begging the question because they wouldn't have BEEN the top guys if they did... we don't see that for every guy at the top who didn't experience those sides there is a bald guy in your gym wearing a d-cup.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.69%

Quote Originally Posted by MaDmaN
    Well back in the day there were these hardcore gyms.The one I was at was called Peps gym..all powerlifters and bodybuilders.They would come up to you and say lookin kinda small there want some sauce. They were like gods to us and told us all we needed to know and Bang just like that, D-bol was $20 a bottle and 100ml of test cyp was $30 bucks..
    Just for fun, I don't know how much test cyp is now, but $30 bucks in 1970 would be $146.37 now. If you want to check out any other prices adjusted for inflation, go to:

http://www.minneapolisfed.org/research/data/us/calc/
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.99%

I actually think Columbo was better than Arnold, at least around the time of "Pumping Iron". He was just thick and shredded.

I wish Dexter would get more respect from the judges because he has the closest thing to that classic physique of the 70s unlike the bloated guts of Ronnie and the likes or the synthol arms of Ernie Taylor.
  10. king of useless information!!!
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.84%

Quote Originally Posted by Brodus
    I wonder if all the GH and new drugs are part of the reason the midsections on the current mass monsters are so bloated...I mean, even when they are ripped down, if you measured from their back to the front of their abs, they're WAY thicker than any of those photos posted above.

I don't doubt for a second that their GH use is whats giving them HUUUGE guts. Thats why I like Dexter's physique. He's not overloaded w/ muscle but still can hold his own - plus he gets down to like -5bf% somehow??
  11. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.66%

I totally agree with everyone here that the pros from the 'Golden Age' looked so much better then the freaks of today. Arnold, Franco, Nubret,Draper, those are the guys I look up to and aspire to look like. (Although slightly smaller)

Guys like Coleman and Cutler are pushed so far past their own humanity that its almost disturbing to look at. They really are freaks, and its kind of sad that they've pushed themselves that far. Id like to see asthetics and symmetry play more of a role in today's pro bb'ing competitions.

BV
  12. king of useless information!!!
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.84%

I couldn't agree more BV. I'm not a fan of how show winners depend on who can pack on the most mass humanly possible. There should be a much bigger emphasis on asthetics and symmetry b/c in my opinion that is what bbing is about. It's much easier to shoot grams of anabolics a week to put on crazy amounts of weight than it is to have a nicely cut symmetrical body. Guys like dexter who can pull that off deserve better than what they are getting now b/c of that.
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.99%

Quote Originally Posted by kmac6225
    It's much easier to shoot grams of anabolics a week to put on crazy amounts of weight than it is to have a nicely cut symmetrical body.
    Huge amounts of anabolics? Jay just stacks Masstech and Nitrotech, bro. But I guess you're asking for trouble with that stack, who knows what the sides could be.
  14. king of useless information!!!
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.84%

Quote Originally Posted by jas123
    Huge amounts of anabolics? Jay just stacks Masstech and Nitrotech, bro. But I guess you're asking for trouble with that stack, who knows what the sides could be.

haha it looks like one of the major sides is starting to looking like an over tanned caveman.

don't get me wrong I like jay - hes from the town next to me and we even had the same barber growing up but you gotta know when to say enough is enough

Similar Forum Threads

1. Old School BodyBuilders over today's millenium's BB
    By pedrizzleC in forum Pro Bodybuilding
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 09-03-2014, 01:18 PM
  2. Did old school bodybuilders know about PCT?
    By ArnoldIsMyIdol in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-15-2014, 05:24 PM
  3. Old School Bodybuilding Diet
    By ironyogi in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-15-2014, 11:53 AM
  4. Old school Soloflex workout
    By wicked442 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2013, 07:57 AM
  5. Old school bodybuilders and D bol.