lifts vs. body part split

  1. New Member
    grippo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    32
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    72.96%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    lifts vs. body part split


    I know this is nothing new, but what is everyone's thoughts on a program based on big lifts (deadlifts, squats, cleans, presses, etc...) vs. the typical body part split?

    I like to do a big lift, like the squat, pyramid up to heavy weights, low reps, then pyramid down to a high rep set, like starting at 135, adding 25's or 45's until I hit a good 1 rep around 405 with good form (not max, but close). I will keep my reps at 5 or less while I pyramid up, then I'll strip off a few plates and do 225 for 10 explosive reps and 135 for 20+. After squats, I'll do some good mornings, one-leg squats or lunges, leg curls, etc... Finishing off with a calve, core, arms circuit. Entire workout is about 45 minutes.

    Upper body will be a bench press or overhead press, same way, pyramid up with strict, heavy reps and down with lighter, explosive reps, followed by a lot of pullups and rowing.

    I pyramid up on deadlifts, and pyramid down with some explosive deadlifts and RDL's, throw in some front squats, GHR's, etc...

    For cleans, I work up to a 'heavy' 5 rep with good form, once form breaks, I stop. Then I do some overhead squats and a bunch of pullups and rows.

    My week looks like this:
    Monday: heavy squats, hamstring/hip assistance work, and core, calves, arms circuit.
    Tuesday: heavy bench press, pullups, rows, and rear delt work.
    Wednesday: heavy deadlifts, front squats, hamstring/hip assistance work, and core, calves, arms circuit
    Thursday: heavy overhead press, pullups, rows, and rear delt work.
    Friday: cleans, overhead squats
    Saturday and/or Sunday: hill sprints, tire flips, sled work, keg tosses

  2. Senior Member
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,213
    Rep Power
    103754
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    30.93%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting Pro

    you mean like what many athletes do, and powerlifters, and strongman competitors, and olympic lifters and a myriad of others do?

    i'd say what is more important is if you know how to balance intensity, volume, frequency, recovery, deloads, nutrition and progression in your plan then it just doesnt matter.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  3. New Member
    grippo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    32
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    72.96%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig
    you mean like what many athletes do, and powerlifters, and strongman competitors, and olympic lifters and a myriad of others do?

    i'd say what is more important is if you know how to balance intensity, volume, frequency, recovery, deloads, nutrition and progression in your plan then it just doesnt matter.
    Thanks a lot, every post on here is about a 3-5 day body part split. I was just trying to change up the subject a little. I understand athletes, etc... use programming such as this, I'm tired of hearing chest day, leg day, etc.... My thoughts were to use squat day, deadlift day, etc... Not inventing anything here, just posting my routine and looking for comments, questions, criticism, and maybe someone that has used a similar program.

    Anyone have anything useful to say?
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,561
    Rep Power
    2717707
    Level
    78
    Lv. Percent
    90.06%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    so squats 3 days a week? i guess recovery isnt in your agenda.....
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  5. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,194
    Rep Power
    945900
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    13.72%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    so squats 3 days a week? i guess recovery isnt in your agenda.....
    Ever heard of Starting Strength, 5x5, or Olympic lifting?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. New Member
    grippo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    32
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    72.96%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech
    so squats 3 days a week? i guess recovery isnt in your agenda.....
    Recovery hasn't been an issue, back squats on Monday are heavy, front squats on Wednesday are moderate weight, and overhead squats on Friday are light weight, mostly works the core. There is nothing wrong with squatting 3 days/week unless all 3 days were near MAX effort

    Next
  7. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,194
    Rep Power
    945900
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    13.72%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by grippo View Post
    Recovery hasn't been an issue, back squats on Monday are heavy, front squats on Wednesday are moderate weight, and overhead squats on Friday are light weight, mostly works the core. There is nothing wrong with squatting 3 days/week unless all 3 days were near MAX effort

    Next
    I like what you have setup with the template. The only adjustment I would make is to rotate out the max effort lifts. For example, on Monday, make a rotation of squats, front squats, and box squats.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. Elite Member
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,561
    Rep Power
    2717707
    Level
    78
    Lv. Percent
    90.06%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Ever heard of Starting Strength, 5x5, or Olympic lifting?
    nope never, whats that?..............
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  9. Elite Member
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,561
    Rep Power
    2717707
    Level
    78
    Lv. Percent
    90.06%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    i wasnt focusing on "squats" directly but 7 days a week training leaves zero room for recovery, dont post your routine if you dont like criticism...
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  10. New Member
    grippo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    32
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    72.96%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    Ever heard of Starting Strength, 5x5, or Olympic lifting?
    Exactly why I posted this, thanks!

    I would like to see someone's intense leg workout that takes 7 days to recover from!
  11. New Member
    grippo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    32
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    72.96%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech
    i wasnt focusing on "squats" directly but 7 days a week training leaves zero room for recovery, dont post your routine if you dont like criticism...
    I'm not working out 7 days a week, its 6 days with one complete day off a week and if I do lower body on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, that's almost 48 hours between each lower body workout and almost 72 hours between the Friday and Monday workouts.

    Also, I wanted my post to be criticized, but by people that know what they are talking about. Not trying to start anything, trust me, I'm almost 30 and I'm not in high school. Just please do your research before you 'criticize' someone's routine.
  12. New Member
    grippo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    32
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    72.96%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    I like what you have setup with the template. The only adjustment I would make is to rotate out the max effort lifts. For example, on Monday, make a rotation of squats, front squats, and box squats.
    I like that, so one week I can do MAX effort box squats on Monday and moderate weight front squats on Wednesday. Then next week, I can do MAX effort front squats on Monday and moderate weight back squats on Wednesday.

    And I guess rotating other lifts like MAX effort seated overhead press one week, MAX standing overhead press, the next week, etc...?
  13. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,194
    Rep Power
    945900
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    13.72%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by grippo View Post
    I like that, so one week I can do MAX effort box squats on Monday and moderate weight front squats on Wednesday. Then next week, I can do MAX effort front squats on Monday and moderate weight back squats on Wednesday.

    And I guess rotating other lifts like MAX effort seated overhead press one week, MAX standing overhead press, the next week, etc...?
    Pretty much. My rotation for upper body is floor press, 2-board press, and bench.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. New Member
    grippo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    32
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    72.96%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    Pretty much. My rotation for upper body is floor press, 2-board press, and bench.
    Nice, I'll start rotating stuff around this week. Do you ever do bench press, but press off the rack instead of the standard press? I think they are called Anderson Presses?
  15. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,194
    Rep Power
    945900
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    13.72%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by grippo View Post
    Nice, I'll start rotating stuff around this week. Do you ever do bench press, but press off the rack instead of the standard press? I think they are called Anderson Presses?
    Like a pin press?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Senior Member
    xigotmailx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,005
    Rep Power
    42674
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    85.28%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

    I'm in an upper/lower split right now but basically I think of upper a: barbell day, lower a: squats, upper b: dumbbell day, lower a: deadlifts
    I don't go lift, I don't go workout, I don't go train....I go get sexy....sexy as fwuark!!!!!!!!!
  17. New Member
    grippo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    32
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    72.96%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    Like a pin press?
    Exactly, you think that's another 'press' to add to my rotation? So I would rotate pin press, floor press, and overhead press for my main lift that day.
  18. New Member
    grippo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    32
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    72.96%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by xigotmailx
    I'm in an upper/lower split right now but basically I think of upper a: barbell day, lower a: squats, upper b: dumbbell day, lower a: deadlifts
    I guess that is what I'm doing, MWF is lower body and TuThSa is upper body with a different focus each day. I normally start with barbell every day and my second lift is with DB's
  19. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,194
    Rep Power
    945900
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    13.72%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by grippo View Post
    Exactly, you think that's another 'press' to add to my rotation? So I would rotate pin press, floor press, and overhead press for my main lift that day.
    It's more of a specialty lift than a ME movement.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  20. New Member
    grippo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    32
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    72.96%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    It's more of a specialty lift than a ME movement.
    Would this be something I add AFTER my ME lift?
  21. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,194
    Rep Power
    945900
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    13.72%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by grippo View Post
    Would this be something I add AFTER my ME lift?
    Potentially, but it depends on where your sticking point is. If you have trouble shooting off of the lats from a pause, then they're great. If you have trouble locking out, then they're not the greatest.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  22. New Member
    grippo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    32
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    72.96%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    Potentially, but it depends on where your sticking point is. If you have trouble shooting off of the lats from a pause, then they're great. If you have trouble locking out, then they're not the greatest.
    Yeah, my weakest point is at the bottom, that's why I have been doing them. Just wasn't sure if I should do ME then pin presses or do pin presses first when I'm fresh?
  23. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,194
    Rep Power
    945900
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    13.72%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by grippo View Post
    Yeah, my weakest point is at the bottom, that's why I have been doing them. Just wasn't sure if I should do ME then pin presses or do pin presses first when I'm fresh?
    They're a good supplemental lift, but (and I'm also guilty of this) trouble off of the chest is usually a result of a lack of leg/lat drive, which is a technical error.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Body Split VS. Full Body Round 1.
    By hitsquaddd in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 10:54 AM
  2. How often to hit each body part
    By jsheely in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 10:08 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 08:00 PM
  4. Your worst body part?
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 02-07-2003, 10:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in