Arms won't grow...everything else will

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
So, my arms have an almost impossible time growing. For the past idk 3-4 months it seems my arms are the same size. roughly 14 1/2 in the middle of the bicep unflexed arm straight. My shoulders seem to have the same problem as well, however I am only overhead pressing about 125/65 with dbs. My chest grew an 1 1/2 in about 2 months, but my arms seem to just stay the same. I did add in close grip bench and bench dips recently. I hope one day to somehow get 17" unflexed arms. Btw I have long arms for my frame. 6' with a 6' 3" wingspan. Here are my number for arms..maybe it's just not enough weight yet for growth? My legs grow no problem, in fact my thighs are 28 1/2", granted I do need to loose some fat. My chest is about 47"
ez bar curl wide grip standing 60
ez bar curl close grip preacher 55
tricep extension 50
close grip bench 125
regular bench press 215
bent over bb row 165
standing hammer curls 55
I was thinking about switching to maybe just a day for arms and nothing else and maybe add in some light weight spider curls at high reps. I do 3 sets of 8-12 reps.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Here is my workout schedule
Day 1
chest and tricep
bench press
close grip bench
incline bench with dbs
decline flies
tricep extensions
Day 2
back and biceps
bb row
one arm row
deads
ez curls (alternate weekly between wide grip standing and close grip seated)
hammer curls
wrist curls
reverse wrist curls
day 3
rest
day 4
shoulders
overhead press(alternate weekly between bb and dbs)
lateral raises
rear delt raises
shrugs
day 5
legs
squats or front squats(just started back squats again, took time off of doing them because of rounded shoulders)
day 6
rest
day7
rest

cabrunner6480

cabrunner6480

Awards
I too have the same problem. Except I'm 5'9" with an 6'2" wingspan. I as well workout my chest/tris on same day and back/bis on another. I think I am going to incorporate just an arms day, because after my main workout(chest or back) my arms are already fatigued. Therefore I can only do about two different exercises for each.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some of it might just be training age and experience. Keep in mind when you measure your chest it is not a measure of pecs, but of a number of other muscles that are on the rib cage: serratus, trapezius, lats, teres, etc.

I see nothing wrong with doing what you are doing (with a few alterations) and also adding in an abbreviated training for arms on day 6.

First, choose 1-2 exercises for your arms on day 1 and 2.

Then, you NEED pull ups at least once a week. You cannot expect good arm growth without being able to do pull ups!
I also don't see the need for so much wrist curls (or any for that matter), but thats up to you. Doing work with fat grips will make a bigger impact on your forearms than wrist curls.

Next, add hamstring work into day 5!!

Finally, for this day 6. The largest muscle in your arm is the long head of the triceps. To really recruit this, you need lying triceps extensions (skull crushers). Keep your shoulder blades back, your arms vertical, and do not allow your elbows to flare out beyond shoulder width.

Next, for all bicep movements, make sure you keep your elbows tight against your sides and your shoulder blades retracted.

2-3 exercises for biceps and triceps on day would be plenty. Its low CNS so it really shouldn't hinder your recovery in any way either. Keep it short, maybe 25-30 minutes.

Br

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Hey Red, how do dips hit triceps compared to skullcrushers?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Some of it might just be training age and experience. Keep in mind when you measure your chest it is not a measure of pecs, but of a number of other muscles that are on the rib cage: serratus, trapezius, lats, teres, etc.

I see nothing wrong with doing what you are doing (with a few alterations) and also adding in an abbreviated training for arms on day 6.

First, choose 1-2 exercises for your arms on day 1 and 2.

Then, you NEED pull ups at least once a week. You cannot expect good arm growth without being able to do pull ups!
I also don't see the need for so much wrist curls (or any for that matter), but thats up to you. Doing work with fat grips will make a bigger impact on your forearms than wrist curls.

Next, add hamstring work into day 5!!

Finally, for this day 6. The largest muscle in your arm is the long head of the triceps. To really recruit this, you need lying triceps extensions (skull crushers). Keep your shoulder blades back, your arms vertical, and do not allow your elbows to flare out beyond shoulder width.

Next, for all bicep movements, make sure you keep your elbows tight against your sides and your shoulder blades retracted.

2-3 exercises for biceps and triceps on day would be plenty. Its low CNS so it really shouldn't hinder your recovery in any way either. Keep it short, maybe 25-30 minutes.

Br
Srry for being sort of lazy so to speak 0_0 but could you adjust my routine for me. Also I'd love to do pullups however unfortunately I do not own a pullup station and there aren't really any doorways I can use a cheap pullup bar. Maybe I can get the garage clear and buy a station but that won't be till June when I get money. Also are spider curls good to do? like one week close grip ez bar preacher curl, next week wide grip spider curls. Plus I am doing extensions on day 1, but I may need to lower the weight slightly.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Spider curls will add more peak than mass to your biceps.
Ive recently added spider curls to my routine. They seem to be working well. I dont do them wide grip through. I do them shoulder width and fairly low weight, concentrating on form and contraction at the top.

I think they are a cook exercise when combines with chin-ups

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Spider curls will add more peak than mass to your biceps.
Ive recently added spider curls to my routine. They seem to be working well. I dont do them wide grip through. I do them shoulder width and fairly low weight, concentrating on form and contraction at the top.

I think they are a cook exercise when combines with chin-ups
When I say wide grip, I mean the wider grip on the ez bar.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Spider curl? Enlighten plz
It's like a preacher curl, but at the relaxed position your arm is hanging down straight and completely vertical.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I found a solution to my pullup problem. Today around 4pm, I walked alittle over a block to the elementary school playground, I did 3 sets to failure, winded up being 3 sets of 5 reps, came back home and heated up some fish to eat. Is 3 sets too much to do? I'm planing on going out to lift my weights until about 12am

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
How much bodyweight did you add in the last 2 months?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I found a solution to my pullup problem. Today around 4pm, I walked alittle over a block to the elementary school playground, I did 3 sets to failure, winded up being 3 sets of 5 reps, came back home and heated up some fish to eat. Is 3 sets too much to do? I'm planing on going out to lift my weights until about 12am
Pull away.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Lost some fat and gained some strength. I was 260, now I'm about 246.
So you lost nearly 15lbs and expected arm growth? Do you feel you're being realistic in your expectations?

Put on 20lbs while progressively getting stronger and report back with your arm measurement.

Last edited:

desma760

Awards
Your arms will grow just reaserch a bit about all the different sides of the bicep you work their are alot of workouts that work the muscle that goes from the lower bicep into the forearm that help to push your bicep peak I was once at were you are at 14 1/2 be4 I started to do learn about all the heads of every muscle group I'm now hitting 18" in a lil less than a year I'm about 10 mo/ in so far to my new routines but some of my favorite for bicep peak I gotta say are

*high puley curls
*seated chin up
*finger tip curls

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Your arms will grow just reaserch a bit about all the different sides of the bicep you work their are alot of workouts that work the muscle that goes from the lower bicep into the forearm that help to push your bicep peak I was once at were you are at 14 1/2 be4 I started to do learn about all the heads of every muscle group I'm now hitting 18" in a lil less than a year I'm about 10 mo/ in so far to my new routines but some of my favorite for bicep peak I gotta say are

*high puley curls
*seated chin up
*finger tip curls
Can't do anything with cables at the moment, because I'm limited to working out at home. I did decide to add in spider curls and they seemed to give me a really good pump, more so than any other bicep workout I've done, besides pullups. I was thinking of just dropping standing curls all together and focus on more seated isolation curls, such as close grip preach curls and spider curls...never heard of finger tip curls.

desma760

Awards
^^^^

Ill try to find the video soon where he breaks down how it isolates the bicep vs reg curls soon but ill explain till then essentialy you use a streight bar or dunbells low weight that gives a lil resistance and get in curl starting position with the bars balenced on fingertips about where the first line on your finger is curl up wile keeping palms flat and thumbs out and curl up to shoulder level then back to start position slowly it isolates the bicep real good and works the forearm secondary

If your limited for equipment i suggest

21's with ez curl bar
Heavy pants to bicep curl
And as u said above the amazing preacher curl if u need me to break any down let me know

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All this focus on the bicep when the triceps makes up twice as much arm girth.

Further, I don't care what exercise you are doing, if you are unable to keep your shoulder blades back and your elbows against your sides when doing elbow flexion (curling) you are partially removing the bicep form the exercise, relying on the brachialis (which may or may not be a good thing for some), and limiting potential growth.

Br

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I could picture this...."mommy mommy what is that man doing on the monkey bars?" "just leave him alone hunny your safe that's why I carry mace" lol jk bro

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I could picture this...."mommy mommy what is that man doing on the monkey bars?" "just leave him alone hunny your safe that's why I carry mace" lol jk bro
Lol. There was a parent there watching me, but hey you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
All this focus on the bicep when the triceps makes up twice as much arm girth.

Further, I don't care what exercise you are doing, if you are unable to keep your shoulder blades back and your elbows against your sides when doing elbow flexion (curling) you are partially removing the bicep form the exercise, relying on the brachialis (which may or may not be a good thing for some), and limiting potential growth.

Br
I know, which is why I am doing bicep excercises where it is much less likely for me to cheat. Idk if this is normal, but I have to spider curl 10lbs less than I do on preacher curls. And yes I know about the triceps, which is why I have added in tricep extensions, close grip bench and bench dips.

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
just change the methodology for your training of your arms...adding an exercise isnt going to do anything. You need a radical change in protocol, like tons of volume and pump sets on one end of the spectrum, or go super heavy and compound for sets of 5 or less...if you are eating enough then they have to grow with one of these methods

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
just change the methodology for your training of your arms...adding an exercise isnt going to do anything. You need a radical change in protocol, like tons of volume and pump sets on one end of the spectrum, or go super heavy and compound for sets of 5 or less...if you are eating enough then they have to grow with one of these methods
Truth.
I just switched to alternating curls and was able to curl a great deal more weight. 5lbs is a big jump for bicepts. Blew those suckers up :)
It worked so well I was inspired to do a few more movements (lat pulldowns and such) in an alternating route for a good 2-3 sets with like a 15lb jump since I didn't have to split my CNS between both sides

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
All this **** is moot. You can change methods, programs, do all your foo foo db curls facing the east, while holding your pinky out at a 72deg angle, and it doesn't mean **** if you are not gaining weight.

I am not sure why all this advice is pointing towards training when he mentioned he lost 15lbs. The answer is glaringly obvious GET ****ING BIGGER..lol Put on 30lbs, while getting progressively stronger and tell me your arms didn't grow.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
All this **** is moot. You can change methods, programs, do all your foo foo db curls facing the east, while holding your pinky out at a 72deg angle, and it doesn't mean **** if you are not gaining weight.

I am not sure why all this advice is pointing towards training when he mentioned he lost 15lbs. The answer is glaringly obvious GET ****ING BIGGER..lol Put on 30lbs, while getting progressively stronger and tell me your arms didn't grow.
I can't loose fat and gain muscle at the same time? My body fat % is way too high.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I can't loose fat and gain muscle at the same time? My body fat % is way too high.
Sure. But can you do it to the point you put any substantial size on your arms? Not likely.

IMO the fastest route is typically to drop the bf, and then work on putting on some mass.. People get caught in this idea they are "recomping" and take LONG periods of time to accomplish a goal that could have been done in 1/4 of the time had they just dieted down, and then focused on adding mass.

If you are running a cycle during this then that changes things to a degree, but even then I would just diet down to a BF where you are happy. You arms will LOOK bigger/better when lean anyway.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Been awhile since I posted in here. I was thinking of not doing concentration curls at all anymore and jsut do standing ez bar curls close grip and incline curls, since it feels awkward doing spider curls no matter what the weight is. I just can't decide if it's better to alternate weekly ez bar curls and incline curls or do them in the same day, along with hamemr curls, bb rows, one arm rows and deads. I read that incline curls focus on the long head of the bicep and you get more "peak" with them than with concentration curls, but inclines feel harder so I figured they would work better.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
Been awhile since I posted in here. I was thinking of not doing concentration curls at all anymore and jsut do standing ez bar curls close grip and incline curls, since it feels awkward doing spider curls no matter what the weight is. I just can't decide if it's better to alternate weekly ez bar curls and incline curls or do them in the same day, along with hamemr curls, bb rows, one arm rows and deads. I read that incline curls focus on the long head of the bicep and you get more "peak" with them than with concentration curls, but inclines feel harder so I figured they would work better.
that stuff doesn't matter until you're already huge

stick to compound movements, and slow your reps down - I'm talkin a literal 4-5 second negative

make sure you are working the bicep and not hoisting with the front delt

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
that stuff doesn't matter until you're already huge

stick to compound movements, and slow your reps down - I'm talkin a literal 4-5 second negative

make sure you are working the bicep and not hoisting with the front delt
Should I try doing reverse grip bb rows or keep doing them with a regular grip like I have been? Hoisting???

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
Should I try doing reverse grip bb rows or keep doing them with a regular grip like I have been? Hoisting???
however you feel comfortable. some say theres more of a chance of injury doing reverse grip.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
however you feel comfortable. some say theres more of a chance of injury doing reverse grip.

Didn't do what he did in the video, but I tried them today and I did the curls where I turn my arm as I go up, I guess I did it wrong. I got long dumbbell handle so I have to hold the weight pretty far out to do like in the video.EDIT: Okay I can do them like he does in the video, but they are just farther out, same weight just alittle bit lower reps.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Try not doing chest/tri

When I am not doing full body I do chest/back and bi/tri.

The reason being most chest workout are also fairly tricep intensive. And on the other hand, most tri workouts barely touch your bis, which gives you more energy to work them. Same thing with back and bi, a chinup does a lot for your bis too.

Try yates rows, they are great. Also do reverse grip curls, they focus on your forearms but if you do them real slow and squeeze hard you will hit your bi as well.

Getting your bis to grow is all about squeezing and being slow. If you are doing concentration curls 1 rep should take 10 seconds. You should spend 1 or 2 seconds squeezing hard at the top. Speed will get you nothing in bis, its a muscle you use every single day doing all kinds of stuff, you really need to blast the hell out of them. If its not growing I would recommend you hit them every day as hard as you can. They will keep up just fine.

And like red said, your tricep is a much bigger muscle, do a lot of close grip bench, tri pushdowns and pullovers. Never been a big fan of skullcrushers because it puts too much tension on my shoulders, which is also why I dont really do dips any more.

Incline hammer concentration curls. Both arms at the same time, 10 second reps, touch the top of the DB to the back of your shoulder. They will grow I promise you.

Burn them, if you curl 40lbs now, then do 40lbs until you cant, then do 30 until you cant. Youll look like an idiot failing curls with a 5lb db but your arms will grow.

Weighted chinups too.

Hope I helped, lots of stuff but the main thing is for ANY body part that you feel is lagging, you eed to blast the crap out of it. Its like arnold doing calves every day after his first contest.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
now take 4-5 seconds each rep lowering the weight.

there's not very much TUT (time under tension) the way you're doing it in the video.
You said slow on compounds too?

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
You said slow on compounds too?
Slowing down on everything will build more muscle.

Try this: Do 5 pushups fast, probably take 6second or so. Then go halfway down and stay there for 6 seconds, which one made you more sore?

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Keep in mind though, speed still has its place, but if you are trying to bulk id recommend slowing down as much as you can, do speedwork as a seperate workout

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Keep in mind though, speed still has its place, but if you are trying to bulk id recommend slowing down as much as you can, do speedwork as a seperate workout
I cant go slow on squats or deads. So I should still go just as slow on things like overhead press?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Chest/back and bi/tris seems like a good idea. I might switch to this
chest/back
bb row
deads
bench
incline db bench
decline flies(might take out)
bi/tris
close grip bench
ez bar curl
tricep extension standing might switch back to laying
incline curl
incline hammer curl
How does that look?
all workouts 3 sets 8-12 reps except for deads which is 2 sets 4-6
Hows this btw? http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/BrainStorm_wow/?action=view&current=Closegripcurl_slow.mp4
I lowered the weight by 10lbs on each side

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
I cant go slow on squats or deads. So I should still go just as slow on things like overhead press?
Yeah, legs are brutal to go slow in anyway, I dont either unless I cant go fast lol.

The more tension you keep on the muscle the more fibers you tear which makes your body replace more. Lockout puts almost all the tension on your joints, usually when you are doing workouts you dont even really want to lock out, especially with muscles like arms and shoulders, delts are notoriously hard to blow up, never locking out helps a bit

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Slowing down on everything will build more muscle.

Try this: Do 5 pushups fast, probably take 6second or so. Then go halfway down and stay there for 6 seconds, which one made you more sore?
Soreness is not an indicator of growth. And while time under tension is important, and has its place, doing reps slow also does not recruit the large fast twitch muscle fibers, which are the ones that have the greatest potential for growth. And, if you want soreness, explosive negatives will leave you with more DOMS than anything else. But again, thats not an indicator of overload.

Derek, you are trying to decrease body fat right now. The last thing you need is a day dedicated to arms (read a wasted day). Until you can do pull ups and dips with a significant amount weight and your arms still are not growing, there is no need for a day dedicated to arms.

Br

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Soreness is not an indicator of growth. And while time under tension is important, and has its place, doing reps slow also does not recruit the large fast twitch muscle fibers, which are the ones that have the greatest potential for growth. And, if you want soreness, explosive negatives will leave you with more DOMS than anything else. But again, thats not an indicator of overload.

Derek, you are trying to decrease body fat right now. The last thing you need is a day dedicated to arms (read a wasted day). Until you can do pull ups and dips with a significant amount weight and your arms still are not growing, there is no need for a day dedicated to arms.

Br
Been doing pullups and dips but just with body weight.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established

Br
Very true, that's why I mentioned having a speed day, because you are totally right, you need fast twitch. But What works for me for growth is beating the hell out of my arms, and I have a hard time keeping good form with speed work so I don't like doing it for arms. I'll do fast pullups though sometimes. Also, soreness isn't a good gauge of growth, but it is a good gauge of if you are actually working the proper muscles. Its like when you are benching but your chest never gets sore, you are either doing something wrong or you need to keep going until your chest feels it, or you need to isolate it more.

Just my opinion though

What are explosive negatives?
I've heard the term but not sure. I'm pretty sure you go explosive for the positive and controlled for the negative, because I can't see the benefit of doing an explosive negative...what does bring the weight down as fast as you can do?

Explosive positive works the fast twitch and controlled negative keeps the muscles under tension, which is widely accepted as one of the better ways to lift.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very true, that's why I mentioned having a speed day, because you are totally right, you need fast twitch. But What works for me for growth is beating the hell out of my arms, and I have a hard time keeping good form with speed work so I don't like doing it for arms. I'll do fast pullups though sometimes. Also, soreness isn't a good gauge of growth, but it is a good gauge of if you are actually working the proper muscles. Its like when you are benching but your chest never gets sore, you are either doing something wrong or you need to keep going until your chest feels it, or you need to isolate it more.

Just my opinion though

I've heard the term but not sure. I'm pretty sure you go explosive for the positive and controlled for the negative, because I can't see the benefit of doing an explosive negative...what does bring the weight down as fast as you can do?

Explosive positive works the fast twitch and controlled negative keeps the muscles under tension, which is widely accepted as one of the better ways to lift.
That is true, no need to do dynamic work with single joint arm movements.

Explosive negative actually recruits the greatest % of fast twitch fibers and will leave you with a great deal of DOMS. Its good for some injury prevention and specific work. Imagine doing a bench press with 100-110% 1rm. You bring the weight down real fast then "catch it" about an inch or two off the chest. Then, with the help of a spotter is lifted and repeated. It will create some serious muscle micro-trauma...

Br

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established

Br
Wasted day?? Bwahahahahahaha!! I'd like to see ur arms! Also, I've had a bi's tri's day for at least 5 years straight now. I've put easily 2+ inches on my arms in that time. I respect everyone and thier book knowledge but for me seeing is believing. I'd hate to think that I've been having a "wasted day" every week for the last 5 years or so, when clearly my arms have responded quite well.

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wasted day?? Bwahahahahahaha!! I'd like to see ur arms! Also, I've had a bi's tri's day for at least 5 years straight now. I've put easily 2+ inches on my arms in that time. I respect everyone and thier book knowledge but for me seeing is believing. I'd hate to think that I've been having a "wasted day" every week for the last 5 years or so, when clearly my arms have responded quite well.
Everyone is different...when trying to lose weight an arm day is a wasted day...compound movement use more muscle therefore burning more fat then ISO movements....this is my arms and I've never once in all my years of training had an arm day...

image-1838312608.jpg

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
arms are the one of the hardest to gain size in, especially if you put the majority of your mindset on doing bis, tris make up 2/3of your arms so they will give you the most gains