Squats & Deads

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Just curious if people are stil using squats and dead lifts in there routines and if so how often and are you going for strength or reps....

thehulk2203

thehulk2203

Awards
I do both on the same day and going for strength once a week

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Still using? When did it stop?

I work lower body movements 2x/week.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Still using? When did it stop?

I work lower body movements 2x/week.
If people are using squats and dead lifts ... They have something wrong with them if they aren't

Right u guys would be surprised at how many people I see that don't...
I use them but just thought I'd ask...

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i do each every week. sometimes in the same workout. and i train for strength using speed days and mex effort days.

i do use squat and dead variants as accessory work and go anywhere between 5-20 reps for 1-5 sets.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Just curious if people are stil using squats and dead lifts in there routines and if so how often and are you going for strength or reps....
Both. Once or twice a week. Squats 8-12 reps deads. 3-6 reps.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
squat. well at least a varient of it for 3 sets every training day (3 day full body) with deads once a week, or maybe every other week depending.

Everything is for 6-12 reps, shoot for 8-10 each set - if i get to 12 weight goes up. If i cant do 6 then its too heavy :)

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
Right u guys would be surprised at how many people I see that don't...
I use them but just thought I'd ask...
i like call those guys "pretty boys"
I also see many people not doing legs or squats... they want to keep their pencil legs (Another reason is that they'll get their ass fat by doing legs :D :X) and some of em don't know what a deadlift is and what is it for lol.

I do about 3-4 sets of deads and about 3-4 sets of hacksquats and 2-3 sets (maybe 4 sometimes) of barbell squats.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For months I was unable to do Squats, Deads, and a few of my other favorite lifts due to an injury. I've finally been cleared to start doing them again, and though I'm having to start really light, it's great to be able to perform my favorite lifts again.

Becks18

Becks18

Awards
Sunday is my big lift days. dead lifts, I'll warm up with moderate weight for 10 reps than work up 2 sets to my one rep max. I do the same with squats on Sunday. I also do light to moderate squats in my leg days (generally Thursdays).

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I also see many people not doing legs or squats... they want to keep their pencil legs (Another reason is that they'll get their ass fat by doing legs :D :X) and some of em don't know what a deadlift is and what is it for lol.

I do about 3-4 sets of deads and about 3-4 sets of hacksquats and 2-3 sets (maybe 4 sometimes) of barbell squats.
Both. Once or twice a week. Squats 8-12 reps deads. 3-6 reps.
i like call those guys "pretty boys"

Every1 in this whole thread made great points.
I have to say I touch legs when I first started. There's so many guys I see doing all upper body and look pretty jacked but legs are small... I say to myself that's not the brightest thing to do.
Plus I thought I didn't like squats or deads although they are not a walk in the park I do appreciate them.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Back squat and Pwr cleans on Monday; Deads and front squats on Thurs.

5x5

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I squat and deadlift 3x a week. Squats in the 10-15 rep range and deads in the 3-5.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I squat and deadlift 3x a week. Squats in the 10-15 rep range and deads in the 3-5.
What's your routine like now?
Squats for 15 reps what weight are u using? Is it light for u?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I squat or deadlift once a week. This week I cycle off my normal routine for 2 weeks to recover from the intensity, so I'll be squatting and deadlifting in the same week. Just did 4 sets of 8 reps on squat (not to failure), but man that little bit of volume was enough to make me really feel it considering I normally do 2 sets and that's it, lol. Also did step ups after squats, and afterwards I could barely move my legs to walk.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's your routine like now?
Squats for 15 reps what weight are u using? Is it light for u?
Semi light 225lbs.
I do 6 sets. But my body is very accustomed to frequent and high set workouts.
Full body EoD.
6 sets on squats, 4 sets on everything else. I super set arms in between the other lifts.
45-90" second rest between sets.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Semi light 225lbs.
Full body EoD.
6 sets on squats, 4 sets on everything else. I super set arms in between the other lifts.
Every other workout I'll add 10 lbs to all lifts..
Doing this till I hit my last tested 10rm for squats, and 5rm for the others.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Semi light 225lbs.
Full body EoD.
Ok... This is my thread, so I'll de rail a bit. I'm curious can u outline your full body routine.
I was thinking you did a 5x5 or something similar to that with 4 big lifts.
I was looking for a new routine and I never tried 5x5 so I was going to give that a go, or maybe up the ante on my splits with more squats & deads and just do a couple isolation movements @ the end for a finisher, but I'm curious of how your routine is set up....

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok... This is my thread, so I'll de rail a bit. I'm curious can u outline your full body routine.
I was thinking you did a 5x5 or something similar to that with 4 big lifts.
I was looking for a new routine and I never tried 5x5 so I was going to give that a go, or maybe up the ante on my splits with more squats & deads and just do a couple isolation movements @ the end for a finisher, but I'm curious of how your routine is set up....
It's a modified HST for volume

4x(15,10,5) OHP /ezbar curls

6x(20,15,10) squats

4x (15,10,5) bent over row/tricep ext

4x (0, 10, 5) deadlifts

Every Friday I do
Bench as well in the same way with only 2 sets though. (my chest is very strong still)

On Saturdays I do a strength wo with cleans and pull ups for time.
Days I rest I try to do some skill work and walk a bit more. And foam roll and stretch.

Currently moved to the last phase. I will stay here until I hit the main lifts intensity max. After that I will probably do another type of strength program.

The HST originally has less sets per exercise but they also use more exercises. I workout at home so I don't have access to much other than a bar and weights.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
It's a modified HST for volume

4x(15,10,5) OHP /ezbar curls

6x(20,15,10) squats

4x (15,10,5) bent over row/tricep ext

4x (0, 10, 5) deadlifts

Every Friday I do
Bench as well in the same way with only 2 sets though. (my chest is very strong still)

On Saturdays I do a strength wo with cleans and pull ups for time.
Days I rest I try to do some skill work and walk a bit more. And foam roll and stretch.

Currently moved to the last phase. I will stay here until I hit the main lifts intensity max. After that I will probably do another type of strength program.

The HST originally has less sets per exercise but they also use more exercises. I workout at home so I don't have access to much other than a bar and weights.
I see thx...
Thought u and ya buddy were lifting over there @ a gym in Japan?

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I see thx...
Thought u and ya buddy were lifting over there @ a gym in Japan?
That was about 5 months ago and only about two times lol. Usually I lift at home.
I wish I could go to the gym so I can do heavy cleans....

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
That was about 5 months ago and only about two times lol. Usually I lift at home.
I wish I could go to the gym so I can do heavy cleans....
Got it. Thx man.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I was in high school I rarely ever did squats or deads and when I did, it was just enough weight to get through my workout and get an A for the class.
My gym teacher was the football coach and a straight up c0cky ass bully to us guys that weren't genetically gifted. I didn't like being put on the spotlight for my 135lb squats and deads so I just avoided them at all costs.
I do deads twice a week now and squats on one of those days, leg press on the other. Looking back I wish I would have taken those lifts a lot more seriously. I still get looks sometimes for my sub 300lb squats and deads when all the other guys there are doing 400 and up, but I decided I don't really give two sh!ts what they think. I look better than them, and I go there to focus on me.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When I was in high school I rarely ever did squats or deads and when I did, it was just enough weight to get through my workout and get an A for the class.
My gym teacher was the football coach and a straight up c0cky ass bully to us guys that weren't genetically gifted. I didn't like being put on the spotlight for my 135lb squats and deads so I just avoided them at all costs.
I do deads twice a week now and squats on one of those days, leg press on the other. Looking back I wish I would have taken those lifts a lot more seriously. I still get looks sometimes for my sub 300lb squats and deads when all the other guys there are doing 400 and up, but I decided I don't really give two sh!ts what they think. I look better than them, and I go there to focus on me.
Yea man don't worry about weight. In this business its mostly about looks. (well unless you're also an athlete or you have a physical performance based job)
I train for strength in spurts. Thank god it's coming back to my strength cycle... I was getting sad with my lifts as well n

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, form is what impresses me on squats - I don't care if you've got 95 of 585 on the bar; if you're squatting to or below parallel with proper back positioning and no 'knee-caving' or rounding coming out of the hole, you're doing great in my book.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Yeah, form is what impresses me on squats - I don't care if you've got 95 of 585 on the bar; if you're squatting to or below parallel with proper back positioning and no 'knee-caving' or rounding coming out of the hole, you're doing great in my book.
Good point...
U should feel it in your quads and hams...

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good point...
U should feel it in your quads and legs...
And hams and glutes, more then just quads. If its quads you are after front squat.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
And hams and glutes, more then just quads. If its quads you are after front squat.
I typed wrong that what I meant I "fixed" my post.

U should feel it all of your legs but yeah they kill glutes.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you feel it in one particular spot, then it's one of two things: your weak area or your technique is off. I know that I'm over the bar on deads if I feel it mainly in my lumbar.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
If you feel it in one particular spot, then it's one of two things: your weak area or your technique is off. I know that I'm over the bar on deads if I feel it mainly in my lumbar.
Agree with this too u should feel it "all over".

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
& I'm sure I'm extra sore cause I murdered legs twice this week...
Rocked some "body" squats as well. :)