Arms growing faster than others parts!

goingtogrow

Awards
Ok iv only been working out for about a month, I used to workout about a year ago so maybe it's muscle memory.

Anyway today I was round some friends and they were all saying how much my arms seems to of got big all if a sudden.the crazy thing is I hardly work them.

I'm overweight and carrying quite a bit of bodyfat on my stomach and back but have also lost 21 lbs in a month and a half!!

The bit that sucks is they said the only difference they can see is weight loss and growth in arms. Yes they asked me to take my top off and show the difference! Female friends btw.

Now this has got me thinking is it possible that my arms are doing most of the work on my lifts? Or is it just I'm carrying less far on my arms?

Either way I'm happy with my weight loss do far!!

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
Good work on the weight loss!

What is your weight routine?

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
is it possible that my arms are doing most of the work on my lifts?
For your back exercises it could be possible that your arms are doing more work than they should be. Really focus on the muscles you are working. Another trick is to imagine you are pulling with your elbows if that makes sense.

rome32

rome32

Board Sponsor
Awards
Ok iv only been working out for about a month, I used to workout about a year ago so maybe it's muscle memory.

Anyway today I was round some friends and they were all saying how much my arms seems to of got big all if a sudden.the crazy thing is I hardly work them.

I'm overweight and carrying quite a bit of bodyfat on my stomach and back but have also lost 21 lbs in a month and a half!!

The bit that sucks is they said the only difference they can see is weight loss and growth in arms. Yes they asked me to take my top off and show the difference! Female friends btw.

Now this has got me thinking is it possible that my arms are doing most of the work on my lifts? Or is it just I'm carrying less far on my arms?

Either way I'm happy with my weight loss do far!!
Great job on the weight loss!

Secondly, what is your routine like? And it may be genetics or your waist is tappering and water lost in the neck and face region could make it look like your arms are bigger. Either way, who doesn't want big arms?

My shoulders tend to try to takeover the majority of my lifts, especially chest. Try to really focus on using just the muscle you intend on working during the movement. I've moved my bench down because my out lats were getting sore and my triceps were dead by the time I went to hit them, while my front delts would be sore the next day as well. Focus on the contraction and see if that makes a difference.

Axillist

Axillist

Awards
Wish i had that problem with my arms! You have little to worry about if you have lost that amount of weight in that short of a time while building muscle.

goingtogrow

Awards
Thanks for the positive feed back guys! I do upper lower, 3x a week. 2 upper one lower. I do hiit 5 days a week.

For my back I do chin up and barbell bent over row. The next day my lats can be very sore, chest. I do incline dumbbell press and push up till failure after. Always feel burn after day in chest and front delts :/

Shoulders never burn.

I'm thinking though my triceps do a lot if work. They always fatigue when working chest. Maybe my biceps are doing the work to much in the row?

Could just be I'm carrying to much fat on my body to notice other muscles growing?

Thanks

rome32

rome32

Board Sponsor
Awards
Thanks for the positive feed back guys! I do upper lower, 3x a week. 2 upper one lower. I do hiit 5 days a week.

For my back I do chin up and barbell bent over row. The next day my lats can be very sore, chest. I do incline dumbbell press and push up till failure after. Always feel burn after day in chest and front delts :/

Shoulders never burn.

I'm thinking though my triceps do a lot if work. They always fatigue when working chest. Maybe my biceps are doing the work to much in the row?

Could just be I'm carrying to much fat on my body to notice other muscles growing?

Thanks
A guy that I train, went from 280lb of blubber to now 227lb, has very large arms and they solided out faster than the rest of his body. Visually his arms makes me jealous! Ha

But like posted before, try to focus on your back and chest rather than just pushing or pulling the weight. You are scrulpting your body, unless you want to powerlift.

Axillist

Axillist

Awards

Shoulders never burn.

Thanks

You could have some fat on your upper torso that is causing you to not see the newly gained muscle. Usually the belly fat is the last to go so don't stress too much.

Try switching your chin ups to wide grip pull ups. Use the assist and take a few lbs off your body weight so you can really focus hard on your form. When you do incline bench mentally focus on working your chest. The closer you bring the weights to your chest the more arms you work so try to maintain a wide grip dumbell press.

Everyone's genetics are different though so you may just have great genes for your arms. All that means is you just focus harder on the other parts and your arms should get sufficient work through compound exercises.

goingtogrow

Awards
You could have some fat on your upper torso that is causing you to not see the newly gained muscle. Usually the belly fat is the last to go so don't stress too much.

Try switching your chin ups to wide grip pull ups. Use the assist and take a few lbs off your body weight so you can really focus hard on your form. When you do incline bench mentally focus on working your chest. The closer you bring the weights to your chest the more arms you work so try to maintain a wide grip dumbell press.

Everyone's genetics are different though so you may just have great genes for your arms. All that means is you just focus harder on the other parts and your arms should get sufficient work through compound exercises.
Thanks for the advice! You know when I bring the bells down while doing chest now I think
About it they are way to close to
My chest! I'll defo widen it up!

While I'm here I don't fancy starting a new thread, so could I ask what the best lifts are for abs. I'm looking to just build mass and strength with my abs at the moment. I
Don't actually work them at all ATM? So how many times a week also??

Thanks

Axillist

Axillist

Awards
Thanks for the advice! You know when I bring the bells down while doing chest now I think

While I'm here I don't fancy starting a new thread, so could I ask what the best lifts are for abs. I'm looking to just build mass and strength with my abs at the moment. I

Thanks
I personally work them once a week but some people do it more frequently. My favorite exercises are decline sit ups with weight. When you get to the top of the sit up twist side to side to also work the obliques. You can also use the pulley machines with the double tricep rope. Get on your knees and face away from the pulley. Simply move your head towards the floor and then go back up. One of my other personal favorites is what some people call the"Spiderman." Get into the upward position of a push up where your arms are straight and locked out. Then bring your right knee to your right elbow and then do the same with your left knee and elbow. Do this until you collapse.

Axillist

Axillist

Awards

Thanks
BTW i think twice a week for you would be more than enough. I prefer to at least give them 48 hours to recover if i hit them really hard.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Consider that a blessing.
Some people put a lot more focus on arms vs. other parts.
Usually people start doing biceps & chest every gym session.

Axillist

Axillist

Awards
Consider that a blessing.
Some people put a lot more focus on arms vs. other parts.
Usually people start doing biceps & chest every gym session.
That's what I'm screaming! My arms lag behind! I'd be happy to trade ya! I'm going on a 6 week arm blasting routine! We all have our weak/strong points though. My back grows faster than the rest of me. We just modify our workouts and keep plugging!

NonyaBidness

Awards
Too soon to tell. Also, what are your priorities body part wise?

If you want to learn how to pull with your lats when doing pullups, put the straps you'd use for hanging leg raises on the lat pulldown bar and set up as normal. You will have to pull directly through your elbows to complete the rep and you generally won't be able to recruit your biceps. It's a good trick for learning the movement. Be careful though, once you get your arms out of it, it's hard to get them back in. You may find yourself in the opposite position a few months from now.