Highschool athlete thread

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
i was inspire by the ironman thread to start one of my own. i am a junior training for football. i am 5ft 8in 190 pounds. i know a decent amount about lifting but i know there is alot of people that know alot more than i do, so feel free to chime in with advice, critques, or motivation.

basemark exercises as of 3/20, i max out once every month for my coach because i dont lift at my highschool so he can make sure ima making progress
bench: 265
squat: 385
deadlift(hexbar, it what my coach makes us use to max out): 465
next week is a max out week so ill update these either monday or wedneday

Goals for football
200lbs-210lbs
bench: 315
squat:445
deaslift:500
height 6ft 6inch

extra info: 1/20 max out
bench: 195
squat: 285
deadlift: 375
weight: 169

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
speed time updates:

1600meter(mile) 10/24/2011: 5min 26secs
800 meter dash 10/31/2011: 2min 12secs
400 meter dash 11/11/11: 56sec
100 meter dash 11/11/11: 11.79secs
40 yd dash 3/13/12: 4.89 secs

i use to do track in my freshman year at 135lbs so my times were a little better but i am sastified with these. i am doing a complete coverage off my entire training. the 40yd dash will become official when i go to my combine later this month

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You might also want to measure your vertical as a way to assess improvements in power.

I recently gave a presentation down in NC about strength and conditioning for highschool athletes using a quadrennial approach. If you email me I can send you the power point slides.

Br

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you power clean?

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
zir, that will be extremely amazing and helpful. i have whiteboy syndrom with my jumping. i can barely get net, i can jump decent on tge field in the momemt but working on my vertical is smart.
no, i have cleaned once beforw tenth grade football but we got a new coach last year( the year before his qb in other town broke the pa state passing record) abd he replaced cleans with deadlifts. so the most i ever cleaned was like 135 haahaa

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd recommend you work cleans in.

I'll look for it, but I just recently read a study that showed the number of college players in the 3 deep, and their corresponding clean numbers. No surprise, there were a high number of starters that had the best clean numbers.

You can read that 2 ways; either the best athletes are outstanding lifters in the clean, or the clean makes power athletes better. The numbers didn't correspond in this way with any of the other 3 big lifts (bench/squat/dead), so take that for what it's worth.

I played football for a long time, and power cleans were always a staple. Good luck.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cleans are a great exercise. The only issue is learning to do the technique correct, and finding someone who is experienced and can teach you.

If you learn to do them wrong and ingrain that into your motor skills, then you really won't reap the benefits of the exercise. Its kind of like learning to tackle wrong. Sure, at first you may be more physically capable than those around you and thus able to perform. But as those around you catch up both physically and technique wise, you not tackling (or coming off the line, etc.) is going to really compromise performance on the field. And whats worse, its going to take a lot more time and effort to correct impropper technique vs. putting in the time and effort to learn it right the first time around.

Br

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
ill research cleans and once i feel confident with my knowledge ill fit them in to my workout. what do you think a good weight is

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
speed time updates:

1600meter(mile) 10/24/2011: 5min 26secs
800 meter dash 10/31/2011: 2min 12secs
400 meter dash 11/11/11: 56sec
100 meter dash 11/11/11: 11.79secs
40 yd dash 3/13/12: 4.89 secs

i use to do track in my freshman year at 135lbs so my times were a little better but i am sastified with these. i am doing a complete coverage off my entire training. the 40yd dash will become official when i go to my combine later this month
How are you getting your 40 yard timed? There is a big difference in timing methods and performance. For example, 3 point stance to a gun is going to be .17 seconds slower than hand release time start, .27 seconds less than crossing the line time start, and a whopping .67 seconds less than foot release time start.

Might want to take that into consideration when comparing changes in 40 and when comparing yourself to others.

J Strength Cond Res. 2012 Feb;26(2):473-9.
[h=1]The difference is in the start: impact of timing and start procedure on sprint running performance.[/h]Haugen TA, Tønnessen E, Seiler SK.
[h=3]Source[/h]Norwegian Olympic Federation, Oslo, Norway. [email protected]

[h=3]Abstract[/h]The difference is in the start: impact of timing and start procedure on sprint running performance. The purpose of this study was to compare different sprint start positions and to generate correction factors between popular timing triggering methods on 40-m/40-yd sprint time. Fourteen female athletes (17 ± 1 years), personal best 100 m: 13.26 (±0.68) seconds and 11 male athletes (20 ± 5 years), personal best 100 m: 11.58 (±0.74) seconds participated. They performed 2 series of 3 40-m sprints in randomized order: (a) start from the block, measured by means of Brower audio sensor (BAS) and Dartfish video timing (DVT), (b) 3-point start, measured by using hand release pod (HR) and DVT, and (c) standing start, triggered by both photocell across starting line (SFC), and foot release (FR) plus DVT. Video analysis was performed by 2 independent observers and averaged. Simultaneous measurements at national athletics competitions demonstrated that DVT and BAS were equivalent to Omega Timing within the limits of precision of video timing (±0.01 seconds). Hand and floor timer triggering showed small but significant biases compared with movement captured from video (0.02-0.04 seconds), presumably because of sensitivity of pressure thresholds. Coefficient of variation for test-retest timing using different starting positions ranged from 0.7 to 1.0%. Compared with block starts reacting to gunfire, HR, SFC, and FR starts yielded 0.17 ± 0.09, 0.27 ± 0.12, and 0.69 ± 0.11 second faster times, respectively, over 40 m (all p < 0.001) because of inclusion or exclusion of reaction time, plus momentum, and body position differences at trigger moment. Correction factors for the conversion of 40 m/40 yd and 40 yd/40 m were 0.92 and 1.08, respectively. The correction factors obtained from this study may facilitate more meaningful comparisons of published sprint performances.

PMID:22233797 [PubMed - in process]

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
i got my forty time done by at a football combine. it was on the straight part of the track and i was in my single hand sprinter stance( like they do in the nfl combine) time started on motion and was digitally recorded

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
i got my forty time done by at a football combine. it was on the straight part of the track and i was in my single hand sprinter stance( like they do in the nfl combine) time started on motion and was digitally recorded

Rak on tur

Rak on tur

Awards
Bro agree with the others cleans for power and speed if possible invest I'n parachute and sled major help I'm I'n college now so know the big leap from high school to college so with motivation bro you have to go out there like a dam beast because it may not seem like it but your playing against your own team as well if you want to be notice you have to out play every one on the field even your own dam coach let him know that there is a legend I'n the making I play RB live I'n antioch ca Maurice jones drew Taiwan jones sterling Moore Jeremy newberry got a chance to play against Moore and jones and my point is look around and put your name I'n the books

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Zir, I got the pp thanks alot. I have been having some slight pain in my lowerback especially when squating and straight bar deadlift, I have Been working on my core which has helped sone what else can I do. I stretch 30mib everyday

Rak on tur

Rak on tur

Awards
And go on YouTube look up Eric Thomas great motivation

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Rak, I know exactly what you mean, last year Ben koyak( te for Norte dame) was playing against us during a game. I loved it, the hype of the game, the scouts and going against someone who might be pro one day. I have a list of quotes I read every morning and night

Rak on tur

Rak on tur

Awards
Real story man 05 7th grade pe class broke my hip didn't even know from running I'n this Lil track I'n field event months go by me and my pops thought I pulled something someday hurt some not summer came went to go see my mom I was cry I'n pain one night it was the worst rush to emergency surgeon said about 2 more days would of lost my leg from the tear etc so surgery hours later doc said football out the doors I was lost motivation everything gone was suppose to walk for year hip was that bad 2months out taught myself to walk again high school moved with my mom to Antioch football really was the same coach new there was something missing hip was ready so nothing no d1 really no pt graduated junior college was the same but was Lil stronger faster now just had therapy first time I'n what 7 years bro November 22 got a d3 call from Rockford university they want me to play not I'ma 100% healthy and fast and strong again don't never stop what ever you do bro dot never let your heart give up your mind will at times but never let your heart but leave this august for school to play there goes some motivation for you

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
thats an awesome but scary story. good foe you bro good for yoy

Rak on tur

Rak on tur

Awards
Thanks man and ya I'm mixed and got the whiteboy syndrome to I look black and people like you have to have hops but epic fail lol

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
yupp, my football team went to a 7 on 7 passing comp in toledo, ohio. we were getting rocked by the pittsburgh team. they were just seven kids that were good at sports. after they beat us like 89 to 0. one of them came over to me and said boii, you ran like a deer on speed but ya jump like you got to fatties on your ankle. when we verse them the next day in the championship i couldnt keep a straight face

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
official weight for today: 192.3
today was a cardio day so i 12 200 meter tangos with a budd, 39 sec rest in between sets of 4
im doing a 100 day routine of chinups with doing one on day one and moving up 1 a day till 100 so i did 13 chinups
broke out the new adizero f50.2 abd boy they feel good!

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
today is an off day other than my 14 pullups haahaa. later today ill post my measurements as of friday. do pictures help ppl analyze a person better than numbers

mhsattack16

mhsattack16

Awards
OP Don't let anyone or anything get in the way of this! I wanted to play college ball while I was in high school but sitting at 6'1 189lbs was a little too small. I've kicked myself ever since for not continuing with it. Now i'm trying to turn around 3 years of laziness in college without football, in order to attend walk on tryouts next spring.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
yuppers this is all i ever wanted and i need this more than ever cause i gotva 1843 on my sat and thats low fir my dream school. and right now if i dont go college i have badically only ten to twelve games left and that is not enought

mhsattack16

mhsattack16

Awards
10-12 games fly by. I remember my senior season was over before I could blink an eye. Most depressing feeling in the world thinking you'll never play again. So now I'm trying to get back at it.

Rak on tur

Rak on tur

Awards
Ya that senior season wasn't right I hated being a senior after football season

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
there is nothing like it in the world goung out there on friday nights. being under those lights listening to the crowd. also the fanily that exist

Rak on tur

Rak on tur

Awards
Oh ya there is buddy when those Saturday lights come on and when it becomes a job for Thursday Monday Sunday games bro you can do it

mhsattack16

mhsattack16

Awards
Just don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. The only thing stopping you is yourself at this point.

mhsattack16

mhsattack16

Awards
I'm meeting with a speed and agility coach for the first time in 4 years. It's gonna be brutal.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
we start our speed camp nwxt week its gunnna be crazy, i couldnt imagine 4 years off

mhsattack16

mhsattack16

Awards
Yeah, I finally got my strength approaching where it was when I left football, now I'm gonna have to get stronger and get fast as sh*t again in a very short amount of time.

Rak on tur

Rak on tur

Awards
@Mh same here bro I leave for d3 In 2 months and should of been on my **** I'n November when I got the call

mhsattack16

mhsattack16

Awards
I've got a little longer than you since I'm trying to walk on NEXT spring so I've got a year to get my act together. Although I've been sitting on my butt for the past 4 years whereas you and the OP have both been training in HS for the past 4 years I'm assuming. Hopefully I can get there in time...oh the funny part of the story is that I'm too small to play O line for 99% of the schools in the country so I'm probably going to have to somehow learn a new position as well.

Rak on tur

Rak on tur

Awards
Naw bro I've been on my butt for 4 years as well lol Dam where old lol what's your height I'm 5'6 195 RB

mhsattack16

mhsattack16

Awards
I'm right smack in the middle of 6'1 and 6'2 so I just give myself the half inch. I weigh 238 as of this morning on a balance. but alot of it is fat from me not keeping myself in check. I still can't decide what position I should try out for. I wanna stick to around 220 but to drop to around 10% bf and be in much better cardio vascular health by the time tryouts come a-rollin'.

Rak on tur

Rak on tur

Awards
DE, TE , MLB Or Right/Left , WR bro you Dan near can play any position on the field just get I'n the shape of the position

mhsattack16

mhsattack16

Awards
shoooot at this point I'd be over-joyed to be the holder for the extra point team.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
yeah, dude your height gives you the ability to play any position, being five eight ima limited to rb and lb truelly

mhsattack16

mhsattack16

Awards
yeah well my speed is my limiting factor currently haha. hopefully that'll change as quick as my strength has gone back up. what are both of your 40 times as well as your lifts looking like?

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
as of 3/13 my forty is 4.89. as of 3/20 my bench is 265 squat 385 and deadlift 465. my next maxout is this wednesday and ima hoping/ expectinf 275 400 and 485

Rak on tur

Rak on tur

Awards
Bench 280 max 310
Squats 450 don't squat much
40 4.52

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
measurements as of 4/13
height 5ft 8in, my goal of 6ft 6 seems far off haha
weight 192lbs
chest: 39
waist: 32
arms: 15
shoulders: 47
forearns: 13
neck: 16
thighs: 25
calves: 18

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
i needa get my forty back down. when i was 145lbs going into sophmorw year it was a 4.61

mhsattack16

mhsattack16

Awards
My speed coach just called me back. First meeting with him tomorrow.

Back in my prime I was benching 275 squatting 360 and my best DL was 500 even. Ran a 4.74 40 at 190 lbs.

now my bench is 285 my squat is 355 and I'm hesitant to go up much past 365 on deadlift without a belt.

I have no idea what my 40 is currently either seeing as i haven't run practically at all in 4 years it's probably middle 5's. Hopefully speed memory is just as fast as muscle memory.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
what do you mean by core hips calves

Rak on tur

Rak on tur

Awards
The main parts to a 40 bro from what I was told and notice during the process of getting my 40 time low

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
gunna do some core today because ima maxing at wednesday really wish i could have done it today but what can i do. aiming for thr 1200lbs club barely made 800 last year

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
What are good food i can take with me to school and eat for the calories. I dont have a fridge or a microwave so keep that in mind