Bench Press Tips

B

butrybench555

Awards
Can someone give me a few tips to up my bench? A chest workout that worked for you? Anything is appreciated!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How's your technique? FYI, if you're thinking a chest routine is going to help, then you're limiting your bench strength.

mylo

mylo

Awards
well i'll just share my bench day work out (for the day i max out only) if it helps:

bench press with pinky on ring for: 1 set of 12, one set of 10, one set of 6, one set of 3, max out, then go back down to 12 to burn out.

after this i'll do some dumbell presses (the clean and jerk ones with only one hand– not sure what they're called, sorry), one set of 15 to warm up, 3 sets of 10-8 with only 20 seconds between sets.

tricep over head presses, with any weight you could go for 15 reps with for one set, then anything you can go with 10-8 reps for 3 sets.

the main thing here is to not take long breaks between sets. its been working for me so far, only takes me about 35 minutes to finish this and my chest and triceps get SWOLLEN for the rest of the day. hope this helps.

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Its gonna be technique, and training for a big bench. BTW major bench muscles are tris, delts, back, core, legs.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Its gonna be technique, and training for a big bench. BTW major bench muscles are tris, delts, back, core, legs.
My normal bench grip has always been pretty close(I chose a grip I felt comfortable with and just stuck with it.) I'm considering moving it out a bit but I don't how to decide where. Any advice?

Sorry for hijacking your post Butry. The answer to my question could help you too though :thumbsup:

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
My normal bench grip has always been pretty close(I choose a grip I felt comfortable with and just stuck with it.) I'm considering moving it out a bit but I don't how to decide where. Any advice?

Sorry for hijacking your post Butry. The answer to my question could help you too though :thumbsup:
How close is close ?
I use a very close grip also, "very" when measured against the wide grip most use when they push the weights I push. But, I have very powerful triceps...
That being said, I encourage a closer grip, but you may be able to lift less (depending on your tricep strength, and a closer grip has a longer ROM). But, don't let that discourage you.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
How close is close ?
I use a very close grip also, "very" when measured against the wide grip most use when they push the weights I push. But, I have very powerful triceps...
That being said, I encourage a closer grip, but you may be able to lift less (depending on your tricep strength, and a closer grip has a longer ROM). But, don't let that discourage you.
There is about half the width of a finger between the center of the bar with no grip and my hand. Not sure how else to describe it lol. Eitherway, I'm happy with the amount of weight I move but I definitely wouldn't mind doing more.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
There is about half the width of a finger between the center of the bar with no grip and my hand. Not sure how else to describe it lol. Eitherway, I'm happy with the amount of weight I move but I definitely wouldn't mind doing more.
Check out of my journal, i have some vids there.
You can develop plenty of strength with close grip bench,
work on your triceps

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Check out of my journal, i have some vids there.
You can develop plenty of strength with close grip bench,
work on your triceps
I have the tricep strength, just the past few weeks heavy weights have been hurting my elbows with my normal grip.

B

butrybench555

Awards
Thanks guys. Yeah I'm 15 and weigh 130 and bench 185 but I haven't got up in my max in forever.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Make sure yur doin supplementary lifts.. Having a wide back woth big traps creates a great base on the bench to be able push heavy weight

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
well i'll just share my bench day work out (for the day i max out only) if it helps:

bench press with pinky on ring for: 1 set of 12, one set of 10, one set of 6, one set of 3, max out, then go back down to 12 to burn out.

after this i'll do some dumbell presses (the clean and jerk ones with only one hand- not sure what they're called, sorry), one set of 15 to warm up, 3 sets of 10-8 with only 20 seconds between sets.

tricep over head presses, with any weight you could go for 15 reps with for one set, then anything you can go with 10-8 reps for 3 sets.

the main thing here is to not take long breaks between sets. its been working for me so far, only takes me about 35 minutes to finish this and my chest and triceps get SWOLLEN for the rest of the day. hope this helps.
He wants to get stronger so longer rest would be recommended

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My normal bench grip has always been pretty close(I chose a grip I felt comfortable with and just stuck with it.) I'm considering moving it out a bit but I don't how to decide where. Any advice?

You bench raw I assume?
Well your gonna have to find that perfect grip for yourself. You can not grip super wide raw as it puts a lot of the pressure on the back side of the shoulder and takes out a good bit tricep. Lifting raw requires you to find a groove that you can get the best leverage from. However a close grip like the one you listed seems to not allow you to truely pull the bar apart and your losing the tucking into the lats. Id do some speed work and move out a finger every set until you feel like its to wide and your losing bar speed. Then back track to the set that was your strongest/fastest. Mines just inside the rings on a comp bench bar. This will shorten the bar path, allow you to touch lower, tuck into the lats better, pull the bar apart better. Id have at least one other set of eyes when working on your grip width.

B

butrybench555

Awards
Yeah I don't use anything, thanks I will defiantly try it