Does your roitine change when cutting?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Besides the general switch up, do you make drastic changes in your roitine to aid in fat loss?

stankyleg

stankyleg

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like super sets of opposing body parts in the 10 rep range.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Absolutely not. I don't expect to set a lot of PRs, but what's the point of changing the routine?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Absolutely not. I don't expect to set a lot of PRs, but what's the point of changing the routine?
^ This. Calories are what depends the success of a cut, not routine change.

The only thing different with my cuts is I focus more on lower reps to maintain strength gains.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I thought some people add in more sets/reps for that burn or pump. Which I know you disagree with totally, but a few people mentioned it at the gym and I read an article or two on it.

-in regards to cardio as well would u recommend high intensity for 15 minutes as opposed to a low/moderate intensity for 30 minutes?

I just never tried a fat loss routine and I'm trying to get the best advice I can and organize it.... That's why I'm asking.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Do you guys also employ the use of BCAAs more often during the day since cals are low?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I know you asked specifically for rodgas position, but I'll throw my two cents in as well if you don't mind. I'm actually pretty bored and want to answer some quesions. :)

I thought some people add in more sets/reps for that burn or pump. Which I know you disagree with totally, but a few people mentioned it at the gym and I read an article or two on it.
That's entirely up to the individual. Pump and burn are both the byproduct of utilization of the anaerobic glycosis...the cause is lactic acid. I really wouldn't basic my training solely on a pump.

Most gym science is entirely bro science. I wouldn't basic my training philosophy on it. You'll get better opinions on here.

-in regards to cardio as well would u recommend high intensity for 15 minutes as opposed to a low/moderate intensity for 30 minutes?
I'd do both personally. HIIT will raise your metabolism, but LISS has been found to decrease cortisol and is more muscle friendly. My resting heart rate dropped about 10BPM when I started incorporating LISS again.

I just never tried a fat loss routine and I'm trying to get the best advice I can and organize it.... That's why I'm asking.
[/quote]

There's no such thing as a fat loss routine. Eat less. You could even eat at maintenance and incorporate weightlifting and cardio regularly and burn off the exess calories.

3500 calories is equal to 1lb.

500 calories below maintenance per day for seven days would put you at 1lb per week lossed.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Do both types of cardio. They each have their purpose.

Lifting should be more in maintenance mode and fat loss will be mostly determined by diet.

Do you guys also employ the use of BCAAs more often during the day since cals are low?
Only while in a major deficit (>15%).

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I dont like the idea of changing my routine too much based on my goals. I would rather do a routine I know works for me. Doing HIT right now and it seems to be working well while I am trying to cut.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Only while in a major deficit (>15%).
I agree for muscle breakdown purposes, but what about for the purpose of reducing cortisol?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Nice Rodja & Kong thx!
Very respectable advice.

Kekkuk

Kekkuk

Awards
I need to start considering the source/ref of my info. Lot of bs out there.
I feel violated. :)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I need to start considering the source/ref of my info. Lot of bs out there.
I feel violated. :)
Same here.... every1 thinks differently and has a different way of seeing results and doing thing, guess the point is figuring out what works for u trough trial & error.... it's just that trial & error takes a long time.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Same here.... every1 thinks differently and has a different way of seeing results and doing thing, guess the point is figuring out what works for u trough trial & error.... it's just that trial & error takes a long time.
what works or you is the same as anyone. we all have the same anatomy and physiology. we all do not have different mechanisms to accomplish the same thing. it just doesnt work like that.

now i know some may come back with the idea that they and a buddy did the same thing and got different results. no you didnt. you got out what you put in. and this also includes variables like fitness level, hormone level, sleep patterns, stress levels, etc. most people dont control those at all and yet they can have a major impact on the results.

Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg

Awards
what works or you is the same as anyone. we all have the same anatomy and physiology. we all do not have different mechanisms to accomplish the same thing. it just doesnt work like that.
Not sure I understand you right ozzie. I agree we all have the same anat/physio. the mechanisms used for weight loss and muscle gain are all fundamentally the same, i agree with that also.

now i know some may come back with the idea that they and a buddy did the same thing and got different results. no you didnt. you got out what you put in.
So do you not believe that some people are naturally disposed to benefit from certain types of training? I have always built mass with low rep sets, but lots of guys build mass with higher rep (10-12) ranges. Are you saying I don't gain mass in this rep range like others do because my fitness level / stress level / etc. is different than theirs, not because my body responds to the training in a fundamentally different way? If so, it is a very interesting opinion, and one I am inclined to disagree with, completely amicably of course

Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg

Awards
As a response to the OP,

In my bulking workouts I go heavy, with the first exercise for each muscle group usually being a compound shooting for a few sets of around 6-8 reps. I try to train exactly the same while cutting, but inevitably, I am more prone to injury from the calorie deficit, and usually end up with some minor shoulder or lower back pain, and end up switching to a lower-weight-higher-rep training schema for a few weeks.

Perhaps I should take this to mean I need to perfect my form on a few lifts... :

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I don't believe everything works for every1, I am about to experiment if I grow in the higher rep range vs. low range.

BB12

BB12

Awards
  • Established
I still lift with the same passion but clean up the diet and cardio...cardio...cardio!

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I still lift with the same passion but clean up the diet and cardio...cardio...cardio!
That's what I added as well cardio!

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I don't believe everything works for every1, I am about to experiment if I grow in the higher rep range vs. low range.
Just do both.