Shoulder injury diagnostic?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.

Shoulder injury diagnostic?

Injured my left shoulder today. Seems like I tend to injure myself if I didn't get a good night's rest the night before.

This occurred during bench.
    So I warmed up a bit, starting with bar only, 10-12 reps. Next, 135 for about 8 reps. Felt alright, nothing bothering me at this time. Next I start my work sets, 5x185, 5x210... On the first rep of 5x210, I felt my left shoulder make a slight pop, followed by some pain which eased after I flared my elbows out (I bench with elbows about 45deg, touch bar to chest). After barely finishing the 5 reps due to the increased difficulty w/ arms flared out, I stretched it out and it felt okay... so I proceeded to drop the weight, 155x10, and 135x10 both with arms flared out.

As my workout progressed I found that it was painful to raise my arm in front of me past parallel (to floor). I can raise it to the side just fine, but in front of me is a no go. There's no pain unless I attempt to raise my arm and utilize that muscle (front delt somewhere?) I can lift up my left arm w/ my right hand, and feel some pain, but not too bad. it's been about 5 hrs since the incident.

What to do now?

2. Registered User

Bro whatever you do don't keep lifting I did that and now I'm f^cked go to the doc have them check it out its way better to be safe then sorry trust me
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

I'd rest it for a week to 10 days and take some OTC anti-inflammtories. Ice it down 3-4 times a day for about 20 minutes. By rest, I mean nothing that involves that arm. If still painful, time to go see the ortho doc. IMO, it sounds like the beginning of an impingement type thing. Only an MRI will tell.

<----5 shoulder surgeries
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Sounds like a common shoulder strain from bad benching. Can you point to an exact spot of pain?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.

Was it bad bench? Form so far has been good I think. There is a spot if I follow my clavicle to the end, right past it on a bump that is sure when pressure is applied. At rest, no pain or discomfort at all. Seems more like a strain. Not getting worse. I'll just rest it for a bit.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
  6. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijininjapan View Post
    Was it bad bench? Form so far has been good I think. There is a spot if I follow my clavicle to the end, right past it on a bump that is sure when pressure is applied. At rest, no pain or discomfort at all. Seems more like a strain. Not getting worse. I'll just rest it for a bit.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    Sounds like an AC joint strain. In the future, arch your back more, keep your scapula contracted and tight, and imagine pushing yourself into the bench instead of pushing the bar away from you.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.

I guess I'll have to pay more attention. I wasn't flaring my elbows when I got inured. I flared them out afterwards w/ lower weight to make the pain go away and not use my front delts. Watched and followed the Dave Tate video on benching form.

Hmm, anyways, it's feeling a bit better tonight. Movement directly to the front is alright, but it hurts if I move cross-body, if that makes any sense.

I just hope this goes away soon. It appears to only affect a certain range of motion. Hopefully I can go to they gym on Thursday...

Thanks for the help.
  8. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

You can actually over-tuck the elbows and strain the AC that way.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.

Maybe that's what happened. No idea. Next time, I should just not workout if I didn't get a good night's rest the night before. This is the one thing that's been the same throughout all my injuries.

Feeling much better now, still some pain, but abs and seated rows appear to be no problem in terms of movement, so I'm gonna try to do that tomorrow. maybe some squats as well. (DL and shoulders sat perhaps.)
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Sounds like an AC joint strain. In the future, arch your back more, keep your scapula contracted and tight, and imagine pushing yourself into the bench instead of pushing the bar away from you.
    ^ This.

Also, train your scapula retractors just as hard with rowing motions. I would add rowing and face pulls (if you don't have them already) and focus on developing your external rotators and inner back muscles.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. CJC for shoulder injury
    By rogan in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 04:17 PM
  2. Shoulder injury help!
    By LaGrange26 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 12:19 PM
  3. Shoulder Injury
    By edwards in forum Training Forum
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 03:53 PM
  4. Shoulder injury
    By Jag in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-09-2004, 04:00 PM
  5. could this be another shoulder injury ?
    By WATERLOGGED in forum Exercise Science
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 06:11 PM