workout schedule.....

Starter09

For the last 6 er 7 weeks ive ben workin out monday thru Saturday;

Monday-back/bi
Tuesday-chest/tri
Wednesday-legs/shoulders

And then repeat Thursday thru saturday. To change up the muscle memory a lil bit i went to reading bout some new exercises an came across an article by the all so famous Lou... "an mass gaining program should be no more than 4 days a week". Which would explain me makin no gaines in the last 6 weeks.....
So i switched it to;

Monday: back/bi
Tuesday: chest/tri
Wed: off
Thursday: legs
Friday: shoulders

Also includin abs on Tuesday/ Friday

Im 5'11 165lbs. Its difficult to gain any weight an figured this may be a solution.... any suggestions? Should i work a muscle group twice a week with it already bein difficult to gain mass?

Also...im takin in 277 grams if protien, 292g carbs, 97g fat...... chicken breast, fruit, pasta, and shakes like ther goin outta style.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
That seems to be way too much protein.

I agree with the four day per week thing.

There doesn't seem to be enough frequency in your training program.

I would recommend to use less volume and train each movement twice per week versus load a muscle down with volume and train it only once.

Monday: Upper Body, Horizontal Emphasis, Vertical Maintenance
3X5 Bench Press
3X5 Barbell Rows
3X10 Incline Press
3X10 Pullups
3X10 Barbell Curls

Tuesday: Lower Body, Quad Emphasis, Posterior Chain Maintenance
3X5 Front Squat
6X3 Power Cleans
3X5 Step Ups
3X10 Stiff legged deadlifts
3X10 Abs

Thursday: Upper Body, vertical emphasis, horizontal maintenance
3X5 Strict Press
3X5 Weighted Pullups
3X10 Bench Press
3X10 Bent Over Rows
3X10 Close grip bench press

Friday: Posterior Chain emphasis, quad maintenance
3X5 Squat
3X5 Lunges
3X5 Deadlift
3X5 Front Squat
3X10 Abs

Texplex11

Awards
I had some problems with my last account so i had to get a new one, but thanks for the advice man, i read up on sum more stuff an would drop sets on key exercises like squats an bench be bad for gaining mass? An also why such low reps?

Texplex11

Awards

I would recommend to use less volume and train each movement twice per week versus load a muscle down with volume and train it only once.

3X5 Bench Press
3X5 Barbell Rows
3X10 Incline Press
3X10 Pullups
3X10 Barbell Curls

3X5 Front Squat
6X3 Power Cleans
3X5 Step Ups
3X10 Abs

3X5 Strict Press
3X5 Weighted Pullups
3X10 Bench Press
3X10 Bent Over Rows

3X5 Squat
3X5 Lunges
3X5 Deadlift
3X5 Front Squat
3X10 Abs
I had some problems with my last account so i had to get a new one, but thanks for the advice man, i read up on sum more stuff an would drop sets on key exercises like squats an bench be bad for gaining mass? An also why such low reps?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Low reps keep progression linear. Without progression, muscle will only homeostasis.

Low reps also stimulate better myofibrillar hypertrophy, which is the thickest form of muscular hypertrophy (growth).

If you have been previously told low reps won't build size, those people are not good to listen to.

The routine also involves high reps (3X10) for the same exercises. Those will stimulate the endurance fibers somewhat and stimulate more sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

Keep things simple. Don't worry about drop sets at the moment.

Your goal should be to start with about 50% of your 1RM for your working weight, and each workout add 5-10lbs while focusing on proper form.

Get those numbers up on your bench, squat, deadlift, clean and strict press.

TomGreen

TomGreen

Awards
i like your split but id change it around to
chest and tri
back and bi
rest or dont depending on how your feeling
shoulders
legs
rest
im not a big fan of upper body/ lower body splits. but i come from it from more of a bodybuilding angle. I like dorian yates style. HIT. hit each body part hard and intense to failure and stay away from lots of volume. it should only take 30-45minutes per bodypart max. you shouldnt be in the gym for more than an hour.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
chest and tri
back and bi
shoulders
legs
rest
im not a big fan of upper body/ lower body splits. but i come from it from more of a bodybuilding angle. I like dorian yates style. HIT. hit each body part hard and intense to failure and stay away from lots of volume. it should only take 30-45minutes per bodypart max. you shouldnt be in the gym for more than an hour.

The splits thing is what I am against. I am for upper/lower splits since they are merely a full body training cycle. The lack of frequency and the load of volume displayed onto the muscles in a split to me are completely unnecessary.

Develop your bench press and you will get a big chest. You don't need benches, flies, declines, cable crossovers, etc.

Develop your overhead press and you will have well developed shoulders.

Most often novice trainees can make progression linearly; each workout. If you can make it progress that often, wouldn't it be better to make progression twice per week instead of just once?

Not to mention, full body or upper/lower training places the body as a whole under more stress, which leads to a greater release of anabolic hormones that aid in the development of strength and hypertrophy. Besides, basic compound movements are the bread and butter of muscular coordination, CNS efficiency development, and balanced symmetry. It'd be better to train benches twice per week than benches followed with flies just once. I just have never been a split person. Neither have a lot of other successful lifters like Arnold Schwarzanegger, Westside Barbell, DeFranco, Rippetoe, Hatfield, Bill Starr, and others.

Texplex11

Awards
chest and tri
back and bi
shoulders
legs
rest
Thats kinda wat i was doin before, but wat do u mean by lots of volume?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Thats kinda wat i was doin before, but wat do u mean by lots of volume?
Volume is the overall workload. Sets*reps.

Splits- hammer chest in one day, lots of exercises, potential imbalances, difficult to progress on all those exercises at once.

Full body- 3 sets for chest 2-3 times per week. Volume is spread out over a higher frequency. Better opportunity for progression.

Texplex11

Awards
Low reps keep progression linear. Without progression, muscle will only homeostasis.

Low reps also stimulate better myofibrillar hypertrophy, which is the thickest form of muscular hypertrophy (growth).

If you have been previously told low reps won't build size, those people are not good to listen to.

The routine also involves high reps (3X10) for the same exercises. Those will stimulate the endurance fibers somewhat and stimulate more sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

Your goal should be to start with about 50% of your 1RM for your working weight, and each workout add 5-10lbs while focusing on proper form.

That sounds legit, thanks for all the advice, but i jus noticed that you didnt really have any back exercises or tri exercises except for deadlift an the presses, wat about lats and stuff?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That sounds legit, thanks for all the advice, but i jus noticed that you didnt really have any back exercises or tri exercises except for deadlift an the presses, wat about lats and stuff?
Chins and rows are really all you need for the back. Triceps don't need as much volume as people think. I do only 2-3 direct lifts for them throughout the week and it's always higher reps (12-15). I like the planer setup, but I would add in some BW dips with the pullups during the Monday session along with direct mid-trap/rear delt work for postural health and to keep the area strong.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Chins and rows are really all you need for the back. Triceps don't need as much volume as people think. I do only 2-3 direct lifts for them throughout the week and it's always higher reps (12-15). I like the planer setup, but I would add in some BW dips with the pullups during the Monday session along with direct mid-trap/rear delt work for postural health and to keep the area strong.
Good suggestion. Scapula depressions would probably do the area well.

Chins, rows and deadlifts. ;)

Texplex11

Awards

Texplex11

Awards

That sounds legit, thanks for all the advice, but i jus noticed that you didnt really have any back exercises or tri exercises except for deadlift an the presses, what about lats and stuff?

TomGreen

TomGreen

Awards
The splits thing is what I am against. I am for upper/lower splits since they are merely a full body training cycle. The lack of frequency and the load of volume displayed onto the muscles in a split to me are completely unnecessary.

Develop your bench press and you will get a big chest. You don't need benches, flies, declines, cable crossovers, etc.

Develop your overhead press and you will have well developed shoulders.

Most often novice trainees can make progression linearly; each workout. If you can make it progress that often, wouldn't it be better to make progression twice per week instead of just once?

Not to mention, full body or upper/lower training places the body as a whole under more stress, which leads to a greater release of anabolic hormones that aid in the development of strength and hypertrophy. Besides, basic compound movements are the bread and butter of muscular coordination, CNS efficiency development, and balanced symmetry. It'd be better to train benches twice per week than benches followed with flies just once. I just have never been a split person. Neither have a lot of other successful lifters like Arnold Schwarzanegger, Westside Barbell, DeFranco, Rippetoe, Hatfield, Bill Starr, and others.
do you or anyone else have any suggestions for me. i for some reason have a really weak flat bench. for example i can close grip bench about the same as i can flat bench. my incline dumbells are about the same as my flat dumbell. i dont know if its just a weak point or if there is omething i should do. Possibly start adding in a lot of decline or something? any advice would be great

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
do you or anyone else have any suggestions for me. i for some reason have a really weak flat bench. for example i can close grip bench about the same as i can flat bench. my incline dumbells are about the same as my flat dumbell. i dont know if its just a weak point or if there is omething i should do. Possibly start adding in a lot of decline or something? any advice would be great
Technique first. After that, make your traps and lats stronger. You need a base to stabilize the weights.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
That sounds legit, thanks for all the advice, but i jus noticed that you didnt really have any back exercises or tri exercises except for deadlift an the presses, what about lats and stuff?
Press- Shoulder exercise.
Deadlift- lower back.
Rows- middle back muscles.
Pullups- lats.

You could add some cleans for extra back stimulus.

Dips and close grip benches will hit the tri's good.

I'll add to rodja's post.

It sounds like you may have an imbalance in your shoulders.

Inclines are performed at 45 degrees and recruit more of the shoulders.

Benches are horizontal and pushing completely vertical.

Where are your elbows positioned during the bench press? Parallel or perpendicular to the torso?

Texplex11

Awards

3X5 Bench Press
3X5 Barbell Rows
3X10 Incline Press
3X10 Pullups
3X10 Barbell Curls

3X5 Front Squat
6X3 Power Cleans
3X5 Step Ups
3X10 Abs

3X5 Strict Press
3X5 Weighted Pullups
3X10 Bench Press
3X10 Bent Over Rows

3X5 Squat
3X5 Lunges
3X5 Deadlift
3X5 Front Squat
3X10 Abs
I tryed the workout today an that was prolly one of the best pumps ive ever had! Without any NO pre workout! It really suprised me, i usually do 12 sets for chest an 9 sets for tri on mondays an even with the low sets an reps i was still drained at the end. Thanks for the workout man!

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I tryed the workout today an that was prolly one of the best pumps ive ever had! Without any NO pre workout! It really suprised me, i usually do 12 sets for chest an 9 sets for tri on mondays an even with the low sets an reps i was still drained at the end. Thanks for the workout man!
No problem. Pat yourself on the back. You're one of the few people that actually takes the advice they are given.

Texplex11

Awards
No problem. Pat yourself on the back. You're one of the few people that actually takes the advice they are given.
Hey man my backs ben givin me trouble, any exercises other than power cleans?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Hey man my backs ben givin me trouble, any exercises other than power cleans?
If your back is giving you trouble due to power cleans, it's probably a form issue. Post a video of your technique or watch other instructional power cleans videos.

If you absolutely insist on replacing power cleans, try hang cleans.

Texplex11

Awards
If your back is giving you trouble due to power cleans, it's probably a form issue. Post a video of your technique or watch other instructional power cleans videos.

If you absolutely insist on replacing power cleans, try hang cleans.
Aight, ill prolly watch some videos, i havent done them in a while, but any tips for em?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Aight, ill prolly watch some videos, i havent done them in a while, but any tips for em?
Watch Mark Rippetoes form demonstration on youtube. Make sure the extension of the hips forces the bar to be ascend in a straight line.

You'll want to go light and focus on form at first. Make sure the bar stays close to your body during the second pull.

If for some reason you can't learn power cleans, then hang cleans are a good suggestion and essentially the same motion except hang cleans start slightly above the knees.

I wouldn't erase the olympic lifts entirely from my programming though. For performance and speed, they're very crucial.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Watch Mark Rippetoes form demonstration on youtube. Make sure the extension of the hips forces the bar to be ascend in a straight line.

You'll want to go light and focus on form at first. Make sure the bar stays close to your body during the second pull.

If for some reason you can't learn power cleans, then hang cleans are a good suggestion and essentially the same motion except hang cleans start slightly above the knees.

I wouldn't erase the olympic lifts entirely from my programming though. For performance and speed, they're very crucial.
IMO, the Oly lifts require too much time, effort, and specificity. Between the shoes, platforms, bumper plates, and the intricacies of the lifts, they almost become a specialization than an adjunct. There are other options including the assistance Oly (e.g. hang cleans, clean pulls, etc.) lifts that require less equipment and time to teach proper technique.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
IMO, the Oly lifts require too much time, effort, and specificity. Between the shoes, platforms, bumper plates, and the intricacies of the lifts, they almost become a specialization than an adjunct. There are other options including the assistance Oly (e.g. hang cleans, clean pulls, etc.) lifts that require less equipment and time to teach proper technique.
You share the same opinion as Joe DeFranco. He feels it's better to just make compound movements dynamic than to go through the technique of Olympic lifts. I agree in a way with this, but I think routines are much better off with a clean variation in addition to other explosive movements like speed squats. Hang cleans are a good substitution and don't require as much technique, but for some reason I just love power cleans. :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You share the same opinion as Joe DeFranco. He feels it's better to just make compound movements dynamic than to go through the technique of Olympic lifts. I agree in a way with this, but I think routines are much better off with a clean variation in addition to other explosive movements like speed squats. Hang cleans are a good substitution and don't require as much technique, but for some reason I just love power cleans. :)
I don't denounce them at all especially since they teach people how to explode off of the floor for a deadlift. DeFranco is definitely one of my main influences and has remained that way since I stumbled upon WS4SBv1 back in '07.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I don't denounce them at all especially since they teach people how to explode off of the floor for a deadlift. DeFranco is definitely one of my main influences and has remained that way since I stumbled upon WS4SBv1 back in '07.
You and I have a lot in common then. DeFranco is my biggest influence, definitely. I tried WS4SBv1 back in 2008 and make exclusive gains on it.

I knew from your posts you and I had apparently been reading similar sources. I haven't read a post of yours I've ever disagreed with.

Since I train for BJJ competition today, I feel his style workouts still benefit me greatly when it comes to performance.