Chronic low back injuries- Need routine/advice

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.36%

Chronic low back injuries- Need routine/advice

I injured my back when I was younger before I started working out at all. Now I have been working out for about 3-4 years, and every 5 months or so I re-injure my low back. It is usually a crunch or pop feeling and then I am in a lot of pain for 2-6 days.

It first would only happen with squats and deadlifts. However I managed to get a good form with my squats after reading starting strength. I can keep my back nice and tight and have not injured it during squats in close to a year. I have taken deadlifts out of my routine because I just cant seem to do them without hurting my back. Now today I hurt my back again doing bent-over rows.

I am so sick and tired of this happening. Can someone please recommend something to help eliminate this problem? Books, exercises, stretches, routines, anything will be appreciated.

I am hoping someone else has suffered from low back issues and has found a way to train that reduces/eliminates this problem.

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.56%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

What is your core routine?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.36%

I haven't really been doing any core work... I had tried to do sit-ups but after a while that seemed to be causing mild discomfort to my lower back so I discontinued them.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.56%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by N.Woods Giant View Post
    I haven't really been doing any core work... I had tried to do sit-ups but after a while that seemed to be causing mild discomfort to my lower back so I discontinued them.
    You have to start doing core work. Planks, hyperextensions, hanging leg raises, standing cable crunches, ab wheel etc.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.36%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You have to start doing core work. Planks, hyperextensions, hanging leg raises, standing cable crunches, ab wheel etc.
    Should I incorporate all of that into 1 workout or split it into 3-4 smaller chunks and add them on to the end of my other workouts?
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.56%

Should I incorporate all of that into 1 workout or split it into 3-4 smaller chunks and add them on to the end of my other workouts?
    Pick 2-3 of them each week and do 2x/week. Start there and then slowly increase the amount of volume and weight. I train my core 3x/week; 2 of them are "heavy" sessions and the last one is restorative, which is basically lighter weights and higher reps.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.36%

Pick 2-3 of them each week and do 2x/week. Start there and then slowly increase the amount of volume and weight. I train my core 3x/week; 2 of them are "heavy" sessions and the last one is restorative, which is basically lighter weights and higher reps.
    How many set/reps should I be trying to do? Should I just use higher reps for a while? Or should I start out with more of the heavier stuff?
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.56%

How many set/reps should I be trying to do? Should I just use higher reps for a while? Or should I start out with more of the heavier stuff?
    You need light reps considering your injury history and the fact that you've neglected core training. 12-15 should be the target and don't do crunches on the floor. They're not a very useful exercise.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.36%

You need light reps considering your injury history and the fact that you've neglected core training. 12-15 should be the target and don't do crunches on the floor. They're not a very useful exercise.
    Ok. Thank you very much for all of your help.

One more question, a trainer at my gym told me to start doing deadlifts again to help prevent back pain. I have had horrible luck with them in the past though. I have read starting strength on how to do them and I still manage to get hurt. Do you think I should bring them back into my routine?
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.56%

Ok. Thank you very much for all of your help.

One more question, a trainer at my gym told me to start doing deadlifts again to help prevent back pain. I have had horrible luck with them in the past though. I have read starting strength on how to do them and I still manage to get hurt. Do you think I should bring them back into my routine?
    Yes, but after you rehab it a bit with the core routine.

It may seem off topic, but what kind of shoes do you lift in?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.36%

Yes, but after you rehab it a bit with the core routine.

It may seem off topic, but what kind of shoes do you lift in?
    When I was still deadlifting I would do them barefoot. Everything else in Nike Frees
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.56%

When I was still deadlifting I would do them barefoot. Everything else in Nike Frees
    Ok. It's sounds like it could be a technical issue in that your shoulders may be in front of the bar forcing you to rely on erector strength.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.36%

Ok. It's sounds like it could be a technical issue in that your shoulders may be in front of the bar forcing you to rely on erector strength.
    Thats how Ripptoe teaches it in Starting Strength. On pg.123 he says " In the starting position, the shoulders will be in front of the bar".He goes on to say that the shoulders stay in front of the bar until the bar passes the knees. Is that not how I should be doing it?
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.97%
    Achievements Posting Pro

here is some great advice IMO from mike robertson on core training
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ore_training_1
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.56%

Thats how Ripptoe teaches it in Starting Strength. On pg.123 he says " In the starting position, the shoulders will be in front of the bar".He goes on to say that the shoulders stay in front of the bar until the bar passes the knees. Is that not how I should be doing it?
    The shoulder joint itself should be in line with the bar. When the shoulder is in front, you have a tendency to put the weight on the toes, elevating the hips, and forces the lift to become primarily done with the erectors.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.36%

The shoulder joint itself should be in line with the bar. When the shoulder is in front, you have a tendency to put the weight on the toes, elevating the hips, and forces the lift to become primarily done with the erectors.
    Ok thanks. When you say the shoulder joint should be in line w/ the bar, would that be where the arms would be perpendicular to the floor?

Also, how long do you think i should wait before adding the deadlifts back into the routine?
  17. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.56%

Ok thanks. When you say the shoulder joint should be in line w/ the bar, would that be where the arms would be perpendicular to the floor?

Also, how long do you think i should wait before adding the deadlifts back into the routine?
    Yes, that would be the position. As far as how long you should take before going back to deads, that's really hard to say without actually gauging progress. I would by no means jump into them quickly. I'd take about a month or so to focus on strengthening the core and then proceed with caution.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

There is a great article on t-nation called Squats - Good exercise gone bad? ...Or something like that. It has a ton of decent alternatives you can do if you have lower back issues. It also has suggestions on how to fix the problem as much as possible.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.36%

Yes, that would be the position. As far as how long you should take before going back to deads, that's really hard to say without actually gauging progress. I would by no means jump into them quickly. I'd take about a month or so to focus on strengthening the core and then proceed with caution.
    Ok sounds good, thanks again for all of your advice!
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.36%

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    There is a great article on t-nation called Squats - Good exercise gone bad? ...Or something like that. It has a ton of decent alternatives you can do if you have lower back issues. It also has suggestions on how to fix the problem as much as possible.
    I'll have to see if I can find it, thanks

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 01:20 AM
  2. How to prevent knee/back injuries?
    By Flay in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 04:22 AM
  3. Advice on back routine
    By sreed11 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 12:03 PM