Chronic low back injuries- Need routine/advice

N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
I injured my back when I was younger before I started working out at all. Now I have been working out for about 3-4 years, and every 5 months or so I re-injure my low back. It is usually a crunch or pop feeling and then I am in a lot of pain for 2-6 days.

It first would only happen with squats and deadlifts. However I managed to get a good form with my squats after reading starting strength. I can keep my back nice and tight and have not injured it during squats in close to a year. I have taken deadlifts out of my routine because I just cant seem to do them without hurting my back. Now today I hurt my back again doing bent-over rows.

I am so sick and tired of this happening. Can someone please recommend something to help eliminate this problem? Books, exercises, stretches, routines, anything will be appreciated.

I am hoping someone else has suffered from low back issues and has found a way to train that reduces/eliminates this problem.

N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
I haven't really been doing any core work... I had tried to do sit-ups but after a while that seemed to be causing mild discomfort to my lower back so I discontinued them.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I haven't really been doing any core work... I had tried to do sit-ups but after a while that seemed to be causing mild discomfort to my lower back so I discontinued them.
You have to start doing core work. Planks, hyperextensions, hanging leg raises, standing cable crunches, ab wheel etc.

N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
You have to start doing core work. Planks, hyperextensions, hanging leg raises, standing cable crunches, ab wheel etc.
Should I incorporate all of that into 1 workout or split it into 3-4 smaller chunks and add them on to the end of my other workouts?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Should I incorporate all of that into 1 workout or split it into 3-4 smaller chunks and add them on to the end of my other workouts?
Pick 2-3 of them each week and do 2x/week. Start there and then slowly increase the amount of volume and weight. I train my core 3x/week; 2 of them are "heavy" sessions and the last one is restorative, which is basically lighter weights and higher reps.

N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
Pick 2-3 of them each week and do 2x/week. Start there and then slowly increase the amount of volume and weight. I train my core 3x/week; 2 of them are "heavy" sessions and the last one is restorative, which is basically lighter weights and higher reps.
How many set/reps should I be trying to do? Should I just use higher reps for a while? Or should I start out with more of the heavier stuff?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How many set/reps should I be trying to do? Should I just use higher reps for a while? Or should I start out with more of the heavier stuff?
You need light reps considering your injury history and the fact that you've neglected core training. 12-15 should be the target and don't do crunches on the floor. They're not a very useful exercise.

N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
You need light reps considering your injury history and the fact that you've neglected core training. 12-15 should be the target and don't do crunches on the floor. They're not a very useful exercise.
Ok. Thank you very much for all of your help.

One more question, a trainer at my gym told me to start doing deadlifts again to help prevent back pain. I have had horrible luck with them in the past though. I have read starting strength on how to do them and I still manage to get hurt. Do you think I should bring them back into my routine?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok. Thank you very much for all of your help.

One more question, a trainer at my gym told me to start doing deadlifts again to help prevent back pain. I have had horrible luck with them in the past though. I have read starting strength on how to do them and I still manage to get hurt. Do you think I should bring them back into my routine?
Yes, but after you rehab it a bit with the core routine.

It may seem off topic, but what kind of shoes do you lift in?

N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
Yes, but after you rehab it a bit with the core routine.

It may seem off topic, but what kind of shoes do you lift in?
When I was still deadlifting I would do them barefoot. Everything else in Nike Frees

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I was still deadlifting I would do them barefoot. Everything else in Nike Frees
Ok. It's sounds like it could be a technical issue in that your shoulders may be in front of the bar forcing you to rely on erector strength.

N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
Ok. It's sounds like it could be a technical issue in that your shoulders may be in front of the bar forcing you to rely on erector strength.
Thats how Ripptoe teaches it in Starting Strength. On pg.123 he says " In the starting position, the shoulders will be in front of the bar".He goes on to say that the shoulders stay in front of the bar until the bar passes the knees. Is that not how I should be doing it?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats how Ripptoe teaches it in Starting Strength. On pg.123 he says " In the starting position, the shoulders will be in front of the bar".He goes on to say that the shoulders stay in front of the bar until the bar passes the knees. Is that not how I should be doing it?
The shoulder joint itself should be in line with the bar. When the shoulder is in front, you have a tendency to put the weight on the toes, elevating the hips, and forces the lift to become primarily done with the erectors.

N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
The shoulder joint itself should be in line with the bar. When the shoulder is in front, you have a tendency to put the weight on the toes, elevating the hips, and forces the lift to become primarily done with the erectors.
Ok thanks. When you say the shoulder joint should be in line w/ the bar, would that be where the arms would be perpendicular to the floor?

Also, how long do you think i should wait before adding the deadlifts back into the routine?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok thanks. When you say the shoulder joint should be in line w/ the bar, would that be where the arms would be perpendicular to the floor?

Also, how long do you think i should wait before adding the deadlifts back into the routine?
Yes, that would be the position. As far as how long you should take before going back to deads, that's really hard to say without actually gauging progress. I would by no means jump into them quickly. I'd take about a month or so to focus on strengthening the core and then proceed with caution.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
There is a great article on t-nation called Squats - Good exercise gone bad? ...Or something like that. It has a ton of decent alternatives you can do if you have lower back issues. It also has suggestions on how to fix the problem as much as possible.

N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
Yes, that would be the position. As far as how long you should take before going back to deads, that's really hard to say without actually gauging progress. I would by no means jump into them quickly. I'd take about a month or so to focus on strengthening the core and then proceed with caution.
Ok sounds good, thanks again for all of your advice!

N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
There is a great article on t-nation called Squats - Good exercise gone bad? ...Or something like that. It has a ton of decent alternatives you can do if you have lower back issues. It also has suggestions on how to fix the problem as much as possible.
I'll have to see if I can find it, thanks