Template design

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been thinking and tinkering with a way to combine elements of 5/3/1, block periodization, and conjugate system. It's not true block, but it maintains a bit of the spirit of it. Assistance work is individualized on weak/sticking points. Each wave begins with taking the designated percentage of 1RM for the maximal work, but keep the DE numbers constant throughout the macrocycle and then going from there. After the 3 waves, re-evaluate your numbers and adjust accordingly. What I suggest to do is to go with a number between predicted 1RM and the 95% numbers.

Wave A: 95%

Week 1: “3” and 65%

Bench Press

Bench Press
Work up to prescribed set of 3 or more
Supplemental Lift (e.g. board presses, floor presses, dead benches, DB bench): 3 sets 4-6 reps

Squat

Squat
Supplemental Lift (e.g. front squats, Olympic squats, pause squats, low box squats) 3 sets 4-6 reps

Overhead Press + 65% DE Bench

OHP
DE Bench: 10 sets 2 reps at 65%
Supplemental Lift (e.g. dips, weighted chins, BB/DB military): 3 sets 4-6 reps

Deadlifts + 65% DE box squat (parallel or 1" below)

Deadlifts
DE box squat: 10 sets 2 reps at 65%
Supplemental Lift (e.g. deficit deadlifts, snatch-grip deadlifts, band/chain deadlifts): 3 sets 4-6 reps

Week 2: “5” and 65%

Bench Press

Bench Press
Work up to prescribed set of 5 or more; single or double at 95% of actual 1RM
Supplemental Lift: 2-3 sets of 2-3 reps

Squat

Squat
Work up to prescribed set of 5 or more; single or double at 95% of actual 1RM
Supplemental Lift: 2-3 sets of 2-3 reps

Overhead Press

OHP
Work up to prescribed set of 5 or more
DE bench: 10 sets 3 reps at 60%
Supplemental lift: 2-3 sets of 2-3 reps

Deadlifts

Deadlifts
Work up to prescribed set of 5 or more
DE squat: 10 sets 3 reps at 60%
Supplemental lift: 2-3 sets of 2-3 reps

Week 3: “1” and 70%

Bench Press

Bench
Work up to prescribed set of 1 or more
Supplemental work: 2-3 sets 4-6 reps

Squat

Squat
Supplemental work: 2-3 sets 4-6 reps

Overhead Press

OHP
DE bench: 10 singles at 70%
Supplemental lift: 2-3 sets 4-6 reps

Deadlifts

Deadlifts
DE squat 10 singles at 70%
Supplemental lift: 2-3 sets 4-6 reps

Wave B is at 90% and Wave C is at 100%

During Wave C, the max singles are cut out during the "3" microcycle.

Regarding a deload, it's too early to say what the frequency will be or if it's really needed since the percentages are waved on the DE and the ME. My early feelings will be that it should be utilized after the 9 weeks for "unassisted" lifters. Also, this is not something that should be used by novice or intermediate lifters.

Kekkuk

Kekkuk

Awards
You're going to log this? If so, what supplements are you using?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interesting, I like the Hybrid aspect. What about RE work, or would that be saved for maybe a GPP type block leading into this?

Br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting, I like the Hybrid aspect. What about RE work, or would that be saved for maybe a GPP type block leading into this?

Br
Assistance work will be done on each lifting day, but it is up to the athlete to know what to use and why. Plus, I'm hoping to make this into a manual soon and don't want to give away everything.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Assistance work will be done on each lifting day, but it is up to the athlete to know what to use and why. Plus, I'm hoping to make this into a manual soon and don't want to give away everything.
Fair enough, and good luck...I'd be interested to pick it up when its finished!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/the_westside_method_thread
that link is a discussion on block periodization and the conjugate system.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/hardcore-look-at-jim-wendlers-5-3-1-powerlifting-system.html
that link at the bottom references a way to do 5/3/1 with westside.

those may help.

i personally think all DE work should be done before anything heavy. here is a very simplified thought i had on this:

ME lower:
5/3/1 deadlifts
accessory stuff
conditioning

ME upper:
5/3/1 bench
accessory stuff
conditioning

DE lower:
DE box squats
5/3/1 squats
accessory stuff

DE upper:
DE bench
5/3/1 overhead
accessory stuff
conditioning

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i was thinking of this some more. here is what i was thinking.

ME lower, 3 attempts at a new PR on a variation of squats
5/3/1 squats
accessory stuff
facepulls
conditioning

ME upper, 3 attempts at a new PR on a variation of bench
5/3/1 overhead
accessory stuff
abz
conditioning

DE lower, 10-20 sets of 2 box squats
5/3/1 deads
facepulls
accessory stuff
conditioning

DE bench, 8-15 sets of 2-3
5/3/1 bench
accessory stuff
abz
conditioning

this does make using 5/3/1 as the supplementary lift that directly improves your main lift. for the different phases you can use the lower percentages for accumulation and the higher percentages during intensification on the 5/3/1 lifts.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i was thinking of this some more. here is what i was thinking.

ME lower, 3 attempts at a new PR on a variation of squats
5/3/1 squats
accessory stuff
facepulls
conditioning

ME upper, 3 attempts at a new PR on a variation of bench
5/3/1 overhead
accessory stuff
abz
conditioning

DE lower, 10-20 sets of 2 box squats
5/3/1 deads
facepulls
accessory stuff
conditioning

DE bench, 8-15 sets of 2-3
5/3/1 bench
accessory stuff
abz
conditioning

this does make using 5/3/1 as the supplementary lift that directly improves your main lift. for the different phases you can use the lower percentages for accumulation and the higher percentages during intensification on the 5/3/1 lifts.
I'm not following your ME days. Elaborate, please?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I'm not following your ME days. Elaborate, please?
ya, i should have been more descriptive.

on ME days as i understand the conjugate method you do not actually do the competition lift. you do the variation or variations that are direct indicators of improvement of the lift. it could be just adding chains or bands or doing a lift like close grip bench, 2 board press, incline, front squat, snatch grip deads, etc.

for the attempts it is like being in a powerlifting meet. you warm up then open with a set you know you can hit, say 90-95%. then do something at or near your last PR. then try and beat the PR.

does that make more sense?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ya, i should have been more descriptive.

on ME days as i understand the conjugate method you do not actually do the competition lift. you do the variation or variations that are direct indicators of improvement of the lift. it could be just adding chains or bands or doing a lift like close grip bench, 2 board press, incline, front squat, snatch grip deads, etc.

for the attempts it is like being in a powerlifting meet. you warm up then open with a set you know you can hit, say 90-95%. then do something at or near your last PR. then try and beat the PR.

does that make more sense?
Ah, yes. A couple of things about Westside's method on the conjugate method that have to be taken into consideration since I'm raw. First, the emphasis on box squat. It is common to use the box squat as the ME for geared lifters and there isn't as much carryover to both the squat and deadlift for a raw lifter. Second, the supplemental lift in my template is the conjugate portion of the lift. By that, I change the supplemental lift constantly and, on a rare occasion, I'll work up to a single on it. Finally, in the conjugate, you don't do the actual lift too frequently, which you touched upon. The problem with that for the raw guy is the motor programming. The motor programming has to be for the main lift since you don't have the gear altering the pattern. IME, my bench goes straight to hell if I don't do it each week.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ah, yes. A couple of things about Westside's method on the conjugate method that have to be taken into consideration since I'm raw. First, the emphasis on box squat. It is common to use the box squat as the ME for geared lifters and there isn't as much carryover to both the squat and deadlift for a raw lifter. Second, the supplemental lift in my template is the conjugate portion of the lift. By that, I change the supplemental lift constantly and, on a rare occasion, I'll work up to a single on it. Finally, in the conjugate, you don't do the actual lift too frequently, which you touched upon. The problem with that for the raw guy is the motor programming. The motor programming has to be for the main lift since you don't have the gear altering the pattern. IME, my bench goes straight to hell if I don't do it each week.
I agree with a lot of this, except I found I get some carry over from box squats yet I do free squats a lot also. Also My bench doesnt go straight to hell as long as Its cambered bar or 2 board im doing bc then I get form work and a very similar plane to press in. But I also pull/free squat/bench every 2 lifts in my westside method since im raw.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with a lot of this, except I found I get some carry over from box squats yet I do free squats a lot also. Also My bench doesnt go straight to hell as long as Its cambered bar or 2 board im doing bc then I get form work and a very similar plane to press in. But I also pull/free squat/bench every 2 lifts in my westside method since im raw.
I don't get anything, err, much of anything from board presses since my sticking is off of the chest. I don't get much from a parallel box, but I do get good carryover from low box squats to both my squat and deadlift. However, they take a big toll on my hips, so I have to be careful (the same reason I don't do sumo too much anymore).

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
my take on doing westside as a raw lifter is DE day is not just speed work but technique work. so im a ok with doing the main lift on that day and just using chains and bands for variation.

on ME day is where i personally do more variance on the lifts. so far on an accumulation phase i am doing the main lift for squats but only benching once every 3 weeks. i use floor press and dips. on the intensification phase i am using what i mentioned above as chains and bands as i dont have many different bars and i still believe as new as i am greasing the groove with the movement still means something. i do plan on my next intensification phase to use lots of reverse band and weight releasers on ME days. i still feel very new and trying to narrow down those lifts that directly effect my main lifts. so at least once a week all 3 lifts are done at some point. that may change in the future though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my take on doing westside as a raw lifter is DE day is not just speed work but technique work. so im a ok with doing the main lift on that day and just using chains and bands for variation.

on ME day is where i personally do more variance on the lifts. so far on an accumulation phase i am doing the main lift for squats but only benching once every 3 weeks. i use floor press and dips. on the intensification phase i am using what i mentioned above as chains and bands as i dont have many different bars and i still believe as new as i am greasing the groove with the movement still means something. i do plan on my next intensification phase to use lots of reverse band and weight releasers on ME days. i still feel very new and trying to narrow down those lifts that directly effect my main lifts. so at least once a week all 3 lifts are done at some point. that may change in the future though.
I think one thing that you're emphasizing more than I intended was the implementation of block periodization. The template is really more a take on the spirit of it, but it is by no means traditional block periodization. This setup is more of my personal take on the principles behind it and can definitely vary from person to person. My bench needs work and the best way for me to address it is to bench every week, multiple times per week. I'm hammering in the technique into my motor pattern with this method and it's paying dividends so far. Technique wise, my squat is where it needs to be, so I could probably take a small step from those and may have to if my SI irritation continues to linger.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
thats the fun, for me at least, of the conjugate system. using guidelines but being able to fine tune it for your needs at your current level.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Training log is here

Comments, questions, discussion are all encouraged here.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't get anything, err, much of anything from board presses since my sticking is off of the chest. I don't get much from a parallel box, but I do get good carryover from low box squats to both my squat and deadlift. However, they take a big toll on my hips, so I have to be careful (the same reason I don't do sumo too much anymore).
Well I know cambered carries over for much like deficite pulls do. Im doing 2 board presses now so Ill see if I get a carry over since my next lift is bench in my rotation and Ill get to truely see whats helping and whats not. I get about a 50lb carryover from a just below parallel box squat to my free squat. And Im starting to really enjoy sumo lately.