¿ conditioning ?

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
hey guys...

I know we have all heard the "omen" that you should lift one day and condition the next but never do both on the same day...the only problem with that is back in highschool we would lift every day before practice and of course it's football so your going to run...

my question is: I lift every day 5 days a week in the mornings....I have to start getting into shape for this coming season and I need to know what yall think...sprint work one day and the next speed and agility or sprints for a month then agility drills for a month?

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
I have never heard that "omen." Improper wordage aside, the only thing that strength and conditioning on the same day is going to cut into is (1) your time and (2) your ability to put on mass. The real issue is that you are inviting overtraining. You should lift 4 days per week, max. Do some light conditioning on those days and leave your real running/agility for two of your off days. Save at least one rest day per week.

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
I have never heard that "omen." Improper wordage aside, the only thing that strength and conditioning on the same day is going to cut into is (1) your time and (2) your ability to put on mass. The real issue is that you are inviting overtraining. You should lift 4 days per week, max. Do some light conditioning on those days and leave your real running/agility for two of your off days. Save at least one rest day per week.
I guess it's just a coaches preference then cause that's what he always told me...aside from that...that's a big red flag...I've worked to hard to bulk up to just cut right back down again...how can I keep mass and condition ?

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I guess it's just a coaches preference then cause that's what he always told me...aside from that...that's a big red flag...I've worked to hard to bulk up to just cut right back down again...how can I keep mass and condition ?
Eat more food.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your coach needs to be fired.

Eat more food.
This.

To add, conditioning is something that should be done year-round for an athlete. Intensity and frequency will change, but it's essential to do it.

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
Your coach needs to be fired.

This.

To add, conditioning is something that should be done year-round for an athlete. Intensity and frequency will change, but it's essential to do it.
plyometrics are part of my warm up along side with ladder drills that I do every day...give this is not conditioning...it should count for something right?

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the common denominator lol...I eat a lot but there is always room for more lol...anything technical though?
Just don't burn more calories than you take in.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
plyometrics are part of my warm up along side with ladder drills that I do every day...give this is not conditioning...it should count for something right?
It's a dynamic warm-up.

You can easily work up to 4-5 conditioning sessions per day, but your mass gains are going to slow. It will always be a trade off between strength/mass and conditioning.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
You should lift 4 days per week, max.
max? for some that is fine. like for those that dont have the work capacity and need the increased recovery time.

for some lifting 14 times a week can be fine. yes, that means several workouts a day. for example the bulgarian method of strength training. now they dont start with that they have to work up to it. this is where knowing how to combine varying intensity, frequency of various body parts, total volume for each part into a workout.

IMO lifting for sports is fine 2-4 days a week depending on work capacity and whether you are in season or not. but working out 5-7 days a week can be fine as skill work is important for sports and lifting should supplement that not take away from it.

yes there is more to it, but im leaving my response at this......

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
max? for some that is fine. like for those that dont have the work capacity and need the increased recovery time.

for some lifting 14 times a week can be fine. yes, that means several workouts a day. for example the bulgarian method of strength training. now they dont start with that they have to work up to it. this is where knowing how to combine varying intensity, frequency of various body parts, total volume for each part into a workout.

IMO lifting for sports is fine 2-4 days a week depending on work capacity and whether you are in season or not. but working out 5-7 days a week can be fine as skill work is important for sports and lifting should supplement that not take away from it.

good info as well

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
It's a dynamic warm-up.

You can easily work up to 4-5 conditioning sessions per day, but your mass gains are going to slow. It will always be a trade off between strength/mass and conditioning.
I just hate having to watch myself decrease in mass when it's taken me so long to get to where I am now

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just hate having to watch myself decrease in mass when it's taken me so long to get to where I am now
You have to make compromises. When conditioning becomes a primary concern, you're more or less in maintenance mode. A football player is not trying to set any PRs during the season.

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
You have to make compromises. When conditioning becomes a primary concern, you're more or less in maintenance mode. A football player is not trying to set any PRs during the season.
understandable...and good advice...I've got 3 months before I show up for camp so is it to early to start diving in or should I keep lifting and wait till may to start conditioning religiously ?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
understandable...and good advice...I've got 3 months before I show up for camp so is it to early to start diving in or should I keep lifting and wait till may to start conditioning religiously ?
Ease into it now. It'll be easier for you to maintain strength since you have time before you really get thrown into the fire.

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
Why don't you post some pics of your physique for us to tell how well your experience has paid off?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Why don't you post some pics of your physique for us to tell how well your experience has paid off?
ROFL!! awesome comeback there. the ol' i cant back up my posts with any proof other then broscience and myths and then dropping the i look better then you response. its like the my dad can beat up your dad from elementary school.

well im not going to drop down to your level. i will let others make their own decisions and even ask more questions to clarify the 2 view points if they want.

and yes, that means now you can reply with the ol' see i look better then you as you wont post pics so i must be right response. cause we all know that underwear models are real smart. thanks for setting us straight kelso. ;)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is questioning someone's physique the new challenge right now? Eastern Bloc Olympic lifters have an insane training regimen, which is probably why they are very successful.

He's 100% right in stating that lifting should compliment the skill aspect of the sport (assuming the sport isn't some variant of lifting). There is too much BB'ing mentality on this board when it comes to lifting for athletics. By that, I mean that too many think muscles and not movements for the training sessions and that you have to do X number of sets and X number of lifts. Everything must be individualized for the athlete and the sport to focus on the athlete's needs.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Is questioning someone's physique the new challenge right now?
i got addicted to forums back in 2001. that response has been around longer then that. first time i have seen it on these boards. but then i only go to about 20% of the sections in here. still makes me laugh when i see it. especially as i am not a physique competitor so i dont care what i look like so much. only that i get stronger in my meets.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i got addicted to forums back in 2001. that response has been around longer then that. first time i have seen it on these boards. but then i only go to about 20% of the sections in here. still makes me laugh when i see it. especially as i am not a physique competitor so i dont care what i look like so much. only that i get stronger in my meets.
That's part of that BB'ing mentality I was referring to in my post. I was having a nutrition discussion on PHF and the guy's only retort was to hurl insults and ask for pics. Nevermind the fact that n=1 and doesn't mean jack.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I second the ease into it part.

Also, what level are you (HS, college: d1,2,3? etc.)

Br

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is questioning someone's physique the new challenge right now? Eastern Bloc Olympic lifters have an insane training regimen, which is probably why they are very successful.

He's 100% right in stating that lifting should compliment the skill aspect of the sport (assuming the sport isn't some variant of lifting). There is too much BB'ing mentality on this board when it comes to lifting for athletics. By that, I mean that too many think muscles and not movements for the training sessions and that you have to do X number of sets and X number of lifts. Everything must be individualized for the athlete and the sport to focus on the athlete's needs.
Yes, and I question how many have ever actually trained for a sport, nevermind trained several athletes for one.

Br

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I see, what school in NC if you don't mind me asking?

Also, if you start slow with the conditioning and eat enough to cover your needs then you will not lose much mass or strength. If you do too hard into it and/or do not eat enough, then you'll see reductions.

What is your current training program like now? Tell me that and I can give some pointers where to put in different conditioning.

Br

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
I see, what school in NC if you don't mind me asking?

Also, if you start slow with the conditioning and eat enough to cover your needs then you will not lose much mass or strength. If you do too hard into it and/or do not eat enough, then you'll see reductions.

What is your current training program like now? Tell me that and I can give some pointers where to put in different conditioning.

Br
Averett University

um pretty much powerlifting every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday than agility on Tuesday and cross fit on Thursday..

oh and by the way...I don't live in NC anymore so there's the miss understanding...I dont keep up with my profile stuff on here so it still says NC

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Averett University

um pretty much powerlifting every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday than agility on Tuesday and cross fit on Thursday..

oh and by the way...I don't live in NC anymore so there's the miss understanding...I dont keep up with my profile stuff on here so it still says NC

Ok, I have an interview with NC Wesleyan this Friday, thats why I asked.

Any how...

First, ditch the cross fit.
Next, start off with two or three 150 yard shuttles after your monday workout. Tuesday agility. Wednesday just weights. Thursday do acceleration drills and/or prolwer/car pushes. Friday do two or three 150 yard shuttles. Take the weekend off.

After a few weeks, you can start increasing either the length of the shuttle or the volume. Preferably you would have one day of long shuttles, one day of short shuttles, one day of agility, and one day of accelaration/position specific drills.

Br

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
Ok, I have an interview with NC Wesleyan this Friday, thats why I asked.

Any how...

First, ditch the cross fit.
Next, start off with two or three 150 yard shuttles after your monday workout. Tuesday agility. Wednesday just weights. Thursday do acceleration drills and/or prolwer/car pushes. Friday do two or three 150 yard shuttles. Take the weekend off.

After a few weeks, you can start increasing either the length of the shuttle or the volume. Preferably you would have one day of long shuttles, one day of short shuttles, one day of agility, and one day of accelaration/position specific drills.

Br
that's what I was thinkin or at least along those lines... every Tuesday and Thursday do probably around 10 40s for a week or two then increase up to 60,80,100,110s and gradually decrease the rest in between each...along the same concept up until I hit the month before camp and during that month really start to hit 110s and agility drills

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Id say keep short work in there at least one day. You'll never run more than 20-30 yards on any single play, so you want to maintain or even increase speed over a short distance. Try to differentiate in your workouts between: conditioning, speed development, and agility/reaction time/sport specific directional changes

Br

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
Id say keep short work in there at least one day. You'll never run more than 20-30 yards on any single play, so you want to maintain or even increase speed over a short distance. Try to differentiate in your workouts between: conditioning, speed development, and agility/reaction time/sport specific directional changes

Br
good advice

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Averett University

Define powerlifting as there a great deal of misconceptions regarding this.

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
as in low reps with percentage weights (usually high)

focusing on core lifts such as:
back squat
front squats
split squat
power cleans
hang cleans
clean pulls
power snatches
split jerks
RDLs
SLDLs
dead lifts
kettle bells
t-bar work
thrusters

I could be talkin out my ass (and that happens a lot) but these are the main things I'm told to do by my coach

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
This^^^. More than half the people on here, preach and preach, but don't have the physique to back it up... Yes, I admit they give good advice (most of the time) but this is mostly a bodybuilding page, so practice what u preach. And for u lazy/drug addicted aas users, get off the **** and train like a real man. Just food and dedication. That's natural. Not some phony synthetic **** that u have to put in ur body in order to feel strong. PU..SIES!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
as in low reps with percentage weights (usually high)

focusing on core lifts such as:
back squat
front squats
split squat
power cleans
hang cleans
clean pulls
power snatches
split jerks
RDLs
SLDLs
dead lifts
kettle bells
t-bar work
thrusters

I could be talkin out my ass (and that happens a lot) but these are the main things I'm told to do by my coach
That's not powerlifting; that's just high intensity lifting. Powerlifting is about programming and utilizing the maximal, dynamic, and repetition efforts while maximizing strength in the squat, bench, and deadlift. Contrary to popular belief, powerlifters do not lift heavy every session. They only lift >90% during there max effort days. The dynamic effort days are done anywhere from 40-60% for low reps and up to 12 sets, but with maximal bar speed.

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
That's not powerlifting; that's just high intensity lifting. Powerlifting is about programming and utilizing the maximal, dynamic, and repetition efforts while maximizing strength in the squat, bench, and deadlift. Contrary to popular belief, powerlifters do not lift heavy every session. They only lift >90% during there max effort days. The dynamic effort days are done anywhere from 40-60% for low reps and up to 12 sets, but with maximal bar speed.
I agree with you but I was just trying to answer the question and obviously failed lol but I did not post up the template I go by mainly cause I don't know how.....but the template does consist of what you just said...

^^^not trying to be an aas, just trying to clear a little up because you did give great advice and some of that advice is what's on my template but I just don't know how to post anything on here

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with you but I was just trying to answer the question and obviously failed lol but I did not post up the template I go by mainly cause I don't know how.....but the template does consist of what you just said...

^^^not trying to be an aas, just trying to clear a little up because you did give great advice and some of that advice is what's on my template but I just don't know how to post anything on here
You can attach a document.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This^^^. More than half the people on here, preach and preach, but don't have the physique to back it up... Yes, I admit they give good advice (most of the time) but this is mostly a bodybuilding page, so practice what u preach.
I have a good physique, but that doesn't mean I know much of anything regarding program development and training others. It just means I have developed my own body..hell, I might not even know really how I did it or what worked.

If you want visual evidence, ask to see before and after pictures of clients I've trained. Or to see some of the before and after stats of athletes I've trained and at what level they are performing at now.

Is it important to live the life style and practice what you preach? Yes. But does your physique lend a lot of evidence to the credibility of your statements....no.

Br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Click on "Reply To Thread." When the screen loads, click on the paperclip.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
This^^^. More than half the people on here, preach and preach, but don't have the physique to back it up... Yes, I admit they give good advice (most of the time) but this is mostly a bodybuilding page, so practice what u preach.
this thread is not about bodybuilding though. so why should bodybuilding standards apply to something that isnt bodybuilding?

the strongest guy i train with would be fat by most people let alone bodybuilders. he is 30lbs from an elite raw total in powerlifting at the 275 weight class. he has won several strongman competitions. he won a USAWA event this last sunday. he would not pass your who's physique is better question. but i guarantee he is much stronger than most people that train in bodybuilding. and seeing as how strength is his goal then he is doing rather well.

so what does that mean? do you have to be fat to be strong? nope, not IMO. we have another guy at our gym that is lean and under 200lbs. he has totaled masters in the 198 weight class and just missed elite at 181. he now does strongman competitions and will at times compete against the heavyweights. he would pass your test on who looks lean and muscular. his goal is not to be great looking but to be strong. he cannot digest gluten so his carb intake is very low while hist fat intake is well over 50% o his daily calories. this diet allows him to stay very lean but it is not his goal. he is strong and has the side effect of looking good.

my point is that you train for your goals, not just train to look good and hope you are good at your goals. some people prefer the get strong and look good as a side effect, not look good and be strong as a side effect. now if this was a bodybuilding discussion i would point that person to this link:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/bodybuilding-discussion/

as for practice what i preach, i do. my first powerlifting meet i won my weight class in the open division. and i train to be a powerlifter so i practiced what i preach to others and it payed off.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
I have a good physique, but that doesn't mean I know much of anything regarding program development and training others. It just means I have developed my own body..hell, I might not even know really how I did it or what worked.

If you want visual evidence, ask to see before and after pictures of clients I've trained. Or to see some of the before and after stats of athletes I've trained and at what level they are performing at now.

Is it important to live the life style and practice what you preach? Yes. But does your physique lend a lot of evidence to the credibility of your statements....no.

Br[/QUOTe

I understand what your saying. I was just defending this dude because I know what he's talking about. And blowing off steam too. Haha

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
this thread is not about bodybuilding though. so why should bodybuilding standards apply to something that isnt bodybuilding?

the strongest guy i train with would be fat by most people let alone bodybuilders. he is 30lbs from an elite raw total in powerlifting at the 275 weight class. he has won several strongman competitions. he won a USAWA event this last sunday. he would not pass your who's physique is better question. but i guarantee he is much stronger than most people that train in bodybuilding. and seeing as how strength is his goal then he is doing rather well.

so what does that mean? do you have to be fat to be strong? nope, not IMO. we have another guy at our gym that is lean and under 200lbs. he has totaled masters in the 198 weight class and just missed elite at 181. he now does strongman competitions and will at times compete against the heavyweights. he would pass your test on who looks lean and muscular. his goal is not to be great looking but to be strong. he cannot digest gluten so his carb intake is very low while hist fat intake is well over 50% o his daily calories. this diet allows him to stay very lean but it is not his goal. he is strong and has the side effect of looking good.

my point is that you train for your goals, not just train to look good and hope you are good at your goals. some people prefer the get strong and look good as a side effect, not look good and be strong as a side effect. now if this was a bodybuilding discussion i would point that person to this link:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/bodybuilding-discussion/

as for practice what i preach, i do. my first powerlifting meet i won my weight class in the open division. and i train to be a powerlifter so i practiced what i preach to others and it payed off.
Refer to Zir Reds reply pls. As its the same response.

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have not read this entire thread so I apologize if its been brought up, but for athletes I believe the best form of cardio is prowler pushing. It'll give you a great leg workout while at the same time improve cardio levels. I no longer do any other form of conditioning aside from actual sports themselves.

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
I have not read this entire thread so I apologize if its been brought up, but for athletes I believe the best form of cardio is prowler pushing. It'll give you a great leg workout while at the same time improve cardio levels. I no longer do any other form of conditioning aside from actual sports themselves.
I'm still a noob so what is power pushing? any videos??

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
Look on YouTube search for prowler conditioning
:)

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
There is no vaccination for the Prowler flu.
trying to quote both of y'all...sorry I misread I thought it said power pushing not prowler pushing...ya I have done those and they were part of our discipline if we jumped off sides but do its really help conditioning that much?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
trying to quote both of y'all...sorry I misread I thought it said power pushing not prowler pushing...ya I have done those and they were part of our discipline if we jumped off sides but do its really help conditioning that much?
Does a bear **** in the woods?