The Iron Man Thread - Bench Training / Journal

Page 3 of 9 First 12345 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by kBrown
    Decided to go to the gym AGAIN today. Just to do deadlifts. Figured we would knock them out today, and rest Wed. This way we aren't too dead for Thursday and don't have bench issues again on Monday.
    Stuck with my rules and did a small weight increase--and still did the volume.
    165lbs - 10 sets of 10 reps.

then did some stomach on a Cybex Modular Abdominal machine (this thing is killer).

Anyway, I know my deadlifts aren't very impressive. but I assure you 100 reps of any weight gets painful. But my deadlifts do need plentyyyy of work.
    What tempo are you using for DLs? A 100 reps sounds crazy.
    Well done on the second wo of the day! That's right about weight increases. And although I think you should be able to easily do more weight on those, there is no reason to rush them especially as previous workout hit you hard. I hope you'll recover faster this time.
    Check out my current log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/195262-iforce-tropinol-testabolan.html

2. Thursday... Shoulders and Triceps

Standing Shoulder Press: these are an explosive movement not meant for concentration. Instead they are for raw strength. If you have any issues with the way these are performed and think you know better, well check out Pumping Iron, Lou, does this lift.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqY5woMdv4A
    I get a lot of flack about this and the range of motion / explosion upwards using the knees, and all I can say is...you do it. After, report back how you feel.

VIDEOS for Shoulder Routine

185lbs

205lbs

135lbs - 10 reps
    155lbs - 10 reps
    185lbs - ~ 15 reps
    205lbs - ~ 9 reps

Obviously I cannot move up in weight, my 205lbs reps are too low. So next week I will have to try to break past 10!

Next we took a brief break from the shoulders and did a bit of cleans, just a brief break before moving to the next left and this lets me work on one of my weaknesses some more
    Cleans:
    125lbs - 8 reps
    125lbs - 7 reps

DB Press (Now we move to a more concentrated shoulder motion)
    VIDEO

80lbs - 2 sets of 12 reps

Smith Machine Press
    VIDEO

225lbs - 13 reps
    225lbs - 15 reps

Triceps Incline Skull (Tried these after I saw them posted by Aaron)
    VIDEO
    90 lbs + bar

120lbs + bar

90+bar - 12 reps
    120 + bar - 10
    100 + bar - 10 --- had to lighten the load a bit, my triceps are still a bit fatigued (surprisingly) from chest Monday, but I am a fan of these skulls

Cybex Lateral Raise (forgot to record)
    120lbs - 15 reps
    100lbs - 15 reps
    80lbs - 17 reps

Tricep Pushdown

VIDEO

60lbs - 15 reps
    60lbs - 10 reps
    60lbs - 10 reps
    www.facebook.com/KBrownFitness
    MRSupps Muscle Research Athlete
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by UKNoko View Post
    What tempo are you using for DLs? A 100 reps sounds crazy.
    Well done on the second wo of the day! That's right about weight increases. And although I think you should be able to easily do more weight on those, there is no reason to rush them especially as previous workout hit you hard. I hope you'll recover faster this time.
    Agreed on needing to get my dead lifts stronger.

As far as tempo, I have always gone with how I subjectively feel and how my partners do. Usually about 2 mins between sets.

4. Quote Originally Posted by kBrown
    Does nobody read this thread?
    I read it...

5. Just saw this. Interesting... What is ur height?
    "Liver stress is weakness leaving the body!!"
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by supraseed48 View Post
    Just saw this. Interesting... What is ur height?
    I am 5'5

7. Good weight on that frame. Ill keep a check on this for updates. This forum rocks by the way. Lot of wisdom here if u can see through the bs occasionally. Keep up the good work bro....

8. Quote Originally Posted by supraseed48 View Post
    Good weight on that frame. Ill keep a check on this for updates. This forum rocks by the way. Lot of wisdom here if u can see through the bs occasionally. Keep up the good work bro....
    Thanks bud,
    good to see someone actually checked it out. I am new here also and been posting but don't get a whole lot of feedback,
    then when I join other threads I just get cussed out by keyboard-lifters.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kBrown

Thanks bud,
    good to see someone actually checked it out. I am new here also and been posting but don't get a whole lot of feedback,
    then when I join other threads I just get cussed out by keyboard-lifters.
    Most are here to learn and share. Some are here to take out their insecurity on others. Ha! Just ignore the latter. I try to keep an open mind cause I don't know it all. Been weight training 20 years. The new perspectives Im learning will hopefully motivate me to train 20 more.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kBrown View Post
    Thursday... Shoulders and Triceps

Standing Shoulder Press: these are an explosive movement not meant for concentration. Instead they are for raw strength. If you have any issues with the way these are performed and think you know better, well check out Pumping Iron, Lou, does this lift.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqY5woMdv4A
    I get a lot of flack about this and the range of motion / explosion upwards using the knees, and all I can say is...you do it. After, report back how you feel.
    That's more of a "push press" then regular shoulder press. For the nay-sayers: it allows to use more weight because some power is generated from the lower body, however it hits you on the negatives with more weight than regular shoulder press would.

Any reason for not going to a full extension other than not getting much lats involvement?

I'd add some work for posterior delts to balance out heavy anterior delts work. Check out http://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ShouldW...#anchor1934542

I have to try incline skulls; only ever done them seated or lying.

You push some solid weight. I am still getting there haha

Quote Originally Posted by kBrown View Post
    Agreed on needing to get my dead lifts stronger.

As far as tempo, I have always gone with how I subjectively feel and how my partners do. Usually about 2 mins between sets.
    Post a video of your DLs as well. Might be some quick fixes to your technique.

Tempos always puzzled me. Last thing on my mind when moving weight is counting seconds. LOL.
    But it's definitely harder to do DLs in slow speed than more explosive.
    I do about 2-3 mins between heavy sets and 60-90s between 10RMs.

Quote Originally Posted by supraseed48 View Post
    Most are here to learn and share. Some are here to take out their insecurity on others. Ha! Just ignore the latter. I try to keep an open mind cause I don't know it all. Been weight training 20 years. The new perspectives Im learning will hopefully motivate me to train 20 more.
    Agreed. Been doing some endurance running for a while and weight training for about 3 years and only got really serious last year. Still lots to learn.
    Check out my current log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/195262-iforce-tropinol-testabolan.html

11. Quote Originally Posted by kBrown View Post
    Does nobody read this thread?
    yes indeed. just haven't chimed in. All I have to add so far is that you sir, are an animal. respect.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg View Post
    yes indeed. just haven't chimed in. All I have to add so far is that you sir, are an animal. respect.
    ehh thanks bro, am working hard and trying to do bodybuilding competitions in the future!

13. UKNoko,
    Agreed the term is "push press" I love em
    Great explosive power.

I will post my deadlift form next week.

As for rear delts, i was thinking my bend-over rows work em quite a bit. But, now that you mention it I could use a bit more. Thanks for the link. I think I will experiment with reverse flyes

14. Quote Originally Posted by kBrown
    UKNoko,
    Agreed the term is "push press" I love em
    Great explosive power.

I will post my deadlift form next week.

As for rear delts, i was thinking my bend-over rows work em quite a bit. But, now that you mention it I could use a bit more. Thanks for the link. I think I will experiment with reverse flyes
    Yeah, bent-over rows certainly use them amongst the whole list of other back muscles. Reverse flyes should be a good addition to focus on rear delts. Let me know when you try it out!

15. 10x10 squat routine today.
    only 145lbs.

however, I was DEAD after

16. Along for the ride, keep it up

17. yuppers, imq following this thread too!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/198788-highschool-athlete-thread.html

18. Quote Originally Posted by kBrown
    10x10 squat routine today.
    only 145lbs.

however, I was DEAD after
    I have a compression fracture in my back so i decided to do some serious volume to keep pressure at a minimum..so i did 10x10 with a pre set 30 lb curl bar on top of the stability dome..yur right 100 reps at any weight kills

19. Wats yur 1rm for bench

20. Quote Originally Posted by machorox123 View Post
    Wats yur 1rm for bench
    Before I started the volume training it was 425lbs for sure (Have it recorded, believe its posted in this thread on page 1)

Right now, I don't know, won't be doing heavy weight again for another 2-3 weeks.

21. Quote Originally Posted by benmayro View Post
    yuppers, imq following this thread too!
    Thanks! Good to know people read this stuff.
    I haven't gotten much feedback from the AM community

22. Quote Originally Posted by FryGuy View Post
    Along for the ride, keep it up
    Thanks bud!

23. I received one inquiry about what Supplements I take, I generally don't give this info out because I don't like "advertising" companies that I do not rep. But, here is a list:

T-Bomb II ( 6 caps a day )
    Creatine (10G / day)
    Animal M-Stak (taken pre workout, 21 days).

That is it currently. Eat, lift, sleep.

24. Bench Day...
    Well a bit better than last week, but still far off the mark. I am getting smaller and weaker

Flat Bench
    Warmup
    135lbs - 15 reps
    225lbs- 15 reps

Working Sets:
    355lbs- 7 + 4 reps --- a 1 rep improvement from last week, I will take it.
    335lbs- 8 + 3 reps --- 1 rep improvement
    325lbs- 6 + 3 reps --- bit of an upset
    315lbs- 5 + 1 reps --- Here I had an increase in unassisted reps, however after I got the 5 I was completely dead and couldn't get the remaining reps, even with the spot. So it was a step forward and backwards all at once.

Incline:
    245lbs- 6 + 3 reps
    245lbs- 6+ 3 reps
    225lbs- 7+ 5 reps

DB Flat, 100lbs
    11 reps
    5 reps -- just messed this lift all up
    9 reps -- there we go !

Brief break and did some stomach. Attempted to do pushups, but it wasn't happening.

Machine Cable Flyes
    27.5lbs - 20 reps
    32.5lbs - 20 reps
    32.5lbs - 17 reps

25. late sub but im jumpin in!

26. Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    late sub but im jumpin in!
    Well I appreciate it !

27. Quote Originally Posted by kBrown View Post
    Well I appreciate it !
    So the supplements you listed above are it? What's your cycle history?

28. Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    So the supplements you listed above are it? What's your cycle history?
    a few cycles under my belt
    The supps listed above is all I am currently on.

29. Quote Originally Posted by kBrown
    Bench Day...
    Well a bit better than last week, but still far off the mark. I am getting smaller and weaker

Flat Bench
    Warmup
    135lbs - 15 reps
    225lbs- 15 reps

Working Sets:
    355lbs- 7 + 4 reps --- a 1 rep improvement from last week, I will take it.
    335lbs- 8 + 3 reps --- 1 rep improvement
    325lbs- 6 + 3 reps --- bit of an upset
    315lbs- 5 + 1 reps --- Here I had an increase in unassisted reps, however after I got the 5 I was completely dead and couldn't get the remaining reps, even with the spot. So it was a step forward and backwards all at once.

Incline:
    245lbs- 6 + 3 reps
    245lbs- 6+ 3 reps
    225lbs- 7+ 5 reps

DB Flat, 100lbs
    11 reps
    5 reps -- just messed this lift all up
    9 reps -- there we go !

Brief break and did some stomach. Attempted to do pushups, but it wasn't happening.

Machine Cable Flyes
    27.5lbs - 20 reps
    32.5lbs - 20 reps
    32.5lbs - 17 reps
    Those + are assisted rite? Thats good not a lot of people train to failure and wonder why they dont grow. Its funny that yur using 335 as a part of the volume part of your training. Thats heavy

30. Quote Originally Posted by machorox123 View Post
    Those + are assisted rite? Thats good not a lot of people train to failure and wonder why they dont grow. Its funny that yur using 335 as a part of the volume part of your training. Thats heavy
    Anytime on my sets that I have a + # that means that I was assisted to get the reps after the + sign.

Yes, I agree I use fairly heavy weight for volume on chest. My chest, triceps, and shoulders are much stronger compared to the rest of my body (something I am trying to remedy).

However, I would be 'cheating' myself if I used lighter weight (weight that most would consider appropriate for volume). Fact is I can do 315+ for volume on bench, so that is what I train with and consistently try to improve on.

However, another 2 weeks and we will be doing all heavy lifting (low reps).
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. StaCkedCop's training journal - A Iron Addict's Log -
    By StackedCop in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 746
    Last Post: 05-08-2014, 02:34 PM
  2. D-Humps Training Journal.
    By DHumphreys in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 148
    Last Post: 05-04-2012, 06:20 AM