Compression fracture

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
I just had X-rays on Friday and doctor told me I have a compressional fracture in my lower back.. The injury happened over a month ago but I jus kept training through it.. I must have lost form for not even a seconond on the t-bar. Thats when i felt the pop..ever since havnt done any lower back work.. I couldn't even do heavy leg presses cuz of the pressure on my lower back.. How do I go about training around the injury??.I alwas thought squating compressed the spine but amazingly enough it feels great when I squat. It has actually helped my form because I was scared to injur myself more so I kept the weight low and my bac really tight head up and what not.. Doc told me not to squat.. I think I should listen to her but she also doesn't know anything about sports science. Does squatting compress the spine?. Any help would be appreciated

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
This is the final very shameful bump.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I would think any weight on the upper body in a standing position presents some level of compression on the spine. But that's just a guess that makes sense to me. That sucks, you should prolly consult with a doc with sports medicine experience to get an absolute answer but I'm willing to bet they say no lifting what so ever. You'll prolly get lucky getting the ok for some kind of light work or cardio. Good luck and heal fast.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Thanx for answering.. I was gettin so heated no one wants to help me lol.. Id be so mad if she told me I couldn't lift at all..isn't a chiropractor good wit stuf like that.isk why but my doc is really against them and won't reffer me to one

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No load bearing exercises for you champ. 8-12 weeks is generally the healing period too. Stretching is your friend right now. If legs are a worry then leg extensions followed by high rep walking lunges or bulgarian split squats should keep some size on them. No holding DBs for them though. You still should be ok with things like dips,close grip bench,standing cable push downs,machine preacher curls. Shoulders will be an issue from the spine loading necessity though. You also should be able to flat bench. I would not arch hard though. All chin ups should not be an issue as well. I would also be selective on hamstring exercises. If your gym has that seated machine then that should work. Calves I would just focus on body weight with high reps for now. Reason I chimed in is because my 20yr old just compressed his L4. Now he works for the athletic dept. at a D1 college so they are treating him like he is one of the athletes. They have him in some type of traction device 2-3 times a week right now. You could probably simulate this by hanging from a pull up bar with your legs dangling. I would just use this as a very high rep periodization time in your workouts. Heal it up right and you should be fine. All the best.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh yeah, I would avoid the chiropractor for the time being. Let things heal up before having someone try to move things around.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
No load bearing exercises for you champ. 8-12 weeks is generally the healing period too. Stretching is your friend right now. If legs are a worry then leg extensions followed by high rep walking lunges or bulgarian split squats should keep some size on them. No holding DBs for them though. You still should be ok with things like dips,close grip bench,standing cable push downs,machine preacher curls. Shoulders will be an issue from the spine loading necessity though. You also should be able to flat bench. I would not arch hard though. All chin ups should not be an issue as well. I would also be selective on hamstring exercises. If your gym has that seated machine then that should work. Calves I would just focus on body weight with high reps for now. Reason I chimed in is because my 20yr old just compressed his L4. Now he works for the athletic dept. at a D1 college so they are treating him like he is one of the athletes. They have him in some type of traction device 2-3 times a week right now. You could probably simulate this by hanging from a pull up bar with your legs dangling. I would just use this as a very high rep periodization time in your workouts. Heal it up right and you should be fine. All the best.
Reps for yu when I get home.. Great advice. I've heard that hanging upside down does decompress the spine..i guess this could be a good time to work on stabalizer muscles. I just got some bands as a gift so ill statt using them..what do yu think about cardio.. I think it's cuz my upper back is so wide but when I do cardio my lower back gets sore is that affecting the spine or just the muscles

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nothing jarring like running for cardio. Stationary bike would be optimal.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
going to re-bump this..it turns out that what looked like a compression fracture in my t11 was actually jus an abnormality in the vertabrae.it does cause discomfort but nothing to be worried about..dr said it could have been trauma from when i was younger causing the growth plates to close prematurely..the real pain is due to a pertruding disk in between my L4-L5..its not fully ruptured or herniated but is aboutto giv way though..i have been giving it time to heal but the pain doesnt go away..im thinking about trying a peptide.hgh is expensive and ive heard peptides work great for injuries..i hope i dont get any of the "you have to do your own research" comments..im not looking for a muscle building cycle..i just want to be able to walk around pain free..if any one can help with which peptide works best for soft tissue like this and dosing id really appreciate it

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
HGH or any other peptide is not going to do anything for the protruding disk.

You can strengthen your stabilizer muscles, strengthen your glutes and deep core muscles, and make sure to maintain good lordosis in the lower back when ever doing any sort of squat/dead lift (maintain a neutral spine when doing any over head work by contracting glutes and abs to keep pelvis level)...but as far as I know, the only option to fix it is surgery. Microdiscectomy (sp?) is one option, and one that you should recover from quite quick, especially if you are in good shape to begin with.

Br

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
HGH or any other peptide is not going to do anything for the protruding disk.

You can strengthen your stabilizer muscles, strengthen your glutes and deep core muscles, and make sure to maintain good lordosis in the lower back when ever doing any sort of squat/dead lift (maintain a neutral spine when doing any over head work by contracting glutes and abs to keep pelvis level)...but as far as I know, the only option to fix it is surgery. Microdiscectomy (sp?) is one option, and one that you should recover from quite quick, especially if you are in good shape to begin with.

Br
how can i go about strengthening? all i do to work glutes and quads are weightless lunges leg extensions and air squats because any added weight =serious pain.no over head pressing at all.basically all i do to keep the pain away is chest,arms,isolated upper back exercises, and the leg work described above and eliptical or bike for cardio.the doc said to just give it time and it should heal .he didnt even bring up surgery as an option

the second one is exactly what the disk looked like on the MRI

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Supine bridges, glute-hip barbell bridge, hip pull throughs, etc. are all good. Prone bridges/planks are good for supporting muscles.

Br