Suicide Grip for OHP

Do you use a false (suicide) grip on Overhead Press?

• Total voters
N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
How many of you use a "suicide grip" for the overhead press?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do. It's much more comfortable than a closed grip.

N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
I do. It's much more comfortable than a closed grip.
Thats what I've been hearing... Also that it makes it easier to get your elbows out in front of you and thus helps with the bar path. I have always used a closed grip but am thinking about switching it up.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
love it on my axle. not so much on a regular bar.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I prefer closed grip for BB military presses. Standing I always bring the bar all the way down but sitting I can't bring it down with a closed grip or else my hands both go numb. I dont know if I adopted a suicide grip that it would fix it, but I feel since I'm doing a different exercise anyways with seated BB press no harm cutting the movement short at the bottom.

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
I use the false grip for standing overhead press. Thats the way I was taught and have always done it like that.

RJW719

RJW719

Awards
  • Established
I use a closed grip.

I have no issues getting my elbows out in front of me, and by using a closed grip I can have my wrist in line with my forearm which I feel gives me more power. With the suicide grip my wrist is bent back slightly. I tried the suicide grip after seeing this thread and I felt I was weaker with it. To each their own I guess...

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
I have hammer thumbs so suicide is just way more comfortable and stable for me. Regular grip heavy db press hurts my thumbs bad. The comments on that are pretty shîtty.
Idk hy but when i wrap my thumb it doesnt feel so stable and my elbow flare a lot..Yea people are douchebags and don't know what they're talking bout

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Idk hy but when i wrap my thumb it doesnt feel so stable and my elbow flare a lot..Yea people are douchebags and don't know what they're talking bout
I think wrapping your thumb forces the pressure to that inner thumb side of your hand rather then pushing thru your wrists like with suicide grip and in turn that just messes up form. Suicide grip forces you to proper form IMO , more so the heavier you go.

Havok

Awards
I think wrapping your thumb forces the pressure to that inner thumb side of your hand rather then pushing thru your wrists like with suicide grip and in turn that just messes up form. Suicide grip forces you to proper form IMO , more so the heavier you go.
I have been having trouble getting my elbows out in front of me maybe this will help, I always thought it was because I have short arms. I will definitely give SG a try though.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
I have been having trouble getting my elbows out in front of me maybe this will help, I always thought it was because I have short arms. I will definitely give SG a try though.
Just make sure yu don't straighten out yur wrist on the way up.. I think thts the problem wen people drop the weights.. Keep yur wrists bent and drive though yur wrist..wen you go suicide its like yur form is automatically corrected at least for it that's the way it worked for me